Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Omad0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Seattle, WA
Hi all, I was just writing in to see if anyone had any suggestions on how to boost my Powerbooks wireless capabilities up a bit instead of having to buy another base station. The reason is while I'm on campus I've got a spot I like to go to do work, and while we have WiFi provided, the signal is down to 2 or 1 bars, if not none at all in my spot. I'd love to be able to stay in my hidden area, cause it's just very calmin for me, but I need to be able to get onto the network so I can do ressearch and what not from there as well. Any thoughts would be greatly apppreciated, and if you need more info just ask.

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
1. Try a PC WiFi card with an external antenna. I know the PB looks nice but the metal case cuts down on the radio reception. An iBook will have better reception the same distance from the base station.
2. The are some amplified antennas for base stations available, both omni directional and directed. You could try one of those if your base station allows for connection to external antenna.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
I think getting a PCMCIA Orinoco Gold 802.11b/g card will suffice. Orinoco usually have the best reception on the market and come with an antenna plug that you can buy several different models of antennas for made specifically for that card. However, you should be alright with just the card unless the wifi spot you like is just a dead spot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.