PDA

View Full Version : blank screen: imac G3 HELP

Albone
Feb 27, 2005, 08:01 PM
I have a 5 year old imac G3, in which the screen went from real blurry to a non-existant screen. I figured it was the monitor that went, so I went and bought a new G5 imac. Yay!

So, I tried to get my old files out of the old imac to the new imac, but I keep failing. I can't seem to start the old imac in Target mode. File sharing was never enabled on the old imac g3 so I can't connect to it through a network cable. Since I have no screen on the old imac G3, I can't turn it on. I'd connect an external monitor to it, but there is no DVI slot. Oy.

Can anybody help me get my old files off my old g3 imac with no screen to my new G5 imac?

ChrisFromCanada
Feb 27, 2005, 08:49 PM
1. What model iMac G3 is it? are you sure it doesn't have a VGA port on the bottom? I thought that every iMac that had FireWire had and VGA port as well.

2. Are you sure you can't get it in FW target disk mode? (http://biochemistry.ucsf.edu/~tech/Support/MacOS9/targetdiskmode.html)

3. You can always open up the case and pop out the HD then buy a cheap $30 FireWire case and transfer the files off that way.

Albone
Feb 28, 2005, 08:04 AM
Yeah, I'm sure that there's no VGA port, and I have no idea why the target mode won't work. I guess my imac G3 is just super old.

One update though, when I turn off my imac G3, I see the screen actually "turn off." For a split second, right before the computer powers down, I see that dot in the center of the screen that fades to black. Could this mean that my monitor wants to work, but something is keeping it from working? Or is that just the last gasps of my monitor?

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 28, 2005, 08:19 AM
Sounds like last gasps on crt. The older Usb iMacs didnt have firewire until the 350 mhz version i think. No fire wire then you have problems. If its a firewire equipped mac all you have to do is connect it to the imac with a fire wire cable and turn on the old machine holding down the T key. Since you have no screen on the imac just hold the T for about a minute or two. you will see the drive show up on the new iMac then just drag whatever you want or you can use the new start up process on the imac to move all the files to the new machine. If not you can allwways remove the drive and find someone with a powermac.

Albone
Feb 28, 2005, 03:16 PM
The old G3 imac DOES have firewire, but when I tried to start it up in target mode, nothing would happen. To review, I plugged a firewire cable into both computers. The G5 was on, and the G3 was off. I started the G3 up, during the chime, I pressed and held the T button. I tried holding the T button at different times during the opening chime to no good effect. After holding the T button for a minute or so, and after the G3 stopped making the "hard drive, start up" noises, I gave up.

Granted the G5 was never restarted after pluggin in the firewire plug, but could that really make a difference?