PDA

View Full Version : Airport + Linksys HELP!!!!

EJBasile
Feb 27, 2005, 09:17 PM
Hey, I just got my new PB, I charged it up for 5.5hrs and attemped to use the wireless. Nope, it recognises the network but when I go into Safari it says that what ever website I'm trying to go to cannot be found.

I have a Linksys Wireless B router that requires MAC codes to be entered in to provide Wi-Fi access. I put in my PBs MAC code before and it still will not work.

Whats the Problem?

daveL
Feb 27, 2005, 09:29 PM
Sounds as though you're not picking up the DNS servers from DHCP. BTW, why do you have to enter your MAC address? That certainly isn't default behavior. Anyway, try entering your DNS server IP addresses manually in network preferences. I'm assuming you can ping the router and basic things like that, right?

EJBasile
Feb 27, 2005, 09:39 PM
Sounds as though you're not picking up the DNS servers from DHCP. BTW, why do you have to enter your MAC address? That certainly isn't default behavior. Anyway, try entering your DNS server IP addresses manually in network preferences. I'm assuming you can ping the router and basic things like that, right?

The MAC codes are to prevent Wi-Fi Stealing and Protection (this is at my house). Anyways I know absolutly NOTHING about networking. I have tried manually typing in IP adresses and subnet masks but its still not working.

ChrisFromCanada
Feb 27, 2005, 09:58 PM
Try entering 17.254.3.183 or 216.239.57.99 into your browser

EDIT: My Bad if you already did this.

superbovine
Feb 27, 2005, 11:51 PM
apparently you set up your links to check "MAC codes", but please call them MAC addresses from here on forward. Assuming you knew what you were doing with your router you got the MAC address from the Airport and enter into your linksys router. However, depending on how you did this you might have entered in the ethernet address by mistake. make sure you looked up the airport MAC address, and make sure it is correct in the wifi.

A question i have for you is what do you mean by:
Nope, it recognises the network but when I go into Safari it says that what ever website I'm trying to go to cannot be found.

What are you meaning to say is your linksys doesn't show up on your the list of access points you can connect, but when you try safari it won't connect to the internet? Basically all that tells me your computer can't see your router. My guess is that it has to do with the MAC Address being added incorrectly as stated above. In case the is not the case, what else have you tried.
Try getting http://www.istumbler.com this software and running it. This will show you all wifi access points, and see if you can see it.

EJBasile
Feb 28, 2005, 05:45 AM
apparently you set up your links to check "MAC codes", but please call them MAC addresses from here on forward. Assuming you knew what you were doing with your router you got the MAC address from the Airport and enter into your linksys router. However, depending on how you did this you might have entered in the ethernet address by mistake. make sure you looked up the airport MAC address, and make sure it is correct in the wifi.

A question i have for you is what do you mean by:

What are you meaning to say is your linksys doesn't show up on your the list of access points you can connect, but when you try safari it won't connect to the internet? Basically all that tells me your computer can't see your router. My guess is that it has to do with the MAC Address being added incorrectly as stated above. In case the is not the case, what else have you tried.
Try getting http://www.istumbler.com this software and running it. This will show you all wifi access points, and see if you can see it.

I have checked the MAC "addresses" and it is correct. It will recognize the router and say its connected but in all Web Browsing Apps it says the server of the website could not be found.

EJBasile
Feb 28, 2005, 06:09 AM
Alright, now in the Network Sys. Prefs the network status its saying that AP is connected to my router, but my wireless is still not working.

jsnuff1
Feb 28, 2005, 03:33 PM
it sound like the connection between your powerbook and router are fine...its seems that your router is not communicating with your internet connection correctly. Im assuming your router is connected to a DSL or cable modem. If so you need to configure your router to connecte to your broadband network. This is usually done by enterning the router address into your webbrowser (usually something like 168.192.0.1 check your linsky manual). I cant give you any more information until i know whether you have a DSL or cable connection since they have different setups.