Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

111230-ichat_lion_dev_2.jpg

As noted in our forums and by 9 to 5 Mac, Apple's new developer build of Mac OS X Lion offers a new look for iCal bearing a stronger resemblance to the iPad's Calendar application. The new look gives the appearance of a physical desktop calendar with leather binding along the top edge, and like the iPad application shows remnants of torn-off pages for additional realism.

According to reports, iChat also offers a new unified buddy list for accounts from various services, similar to how Adium supports multiple services. iChat to date has offered separate windows for AIM, Jabber, and Bonjour contacts, although add-ons such as Chax can bring unified contact lists to the current iChat.

Mac OS X Lion reportedly remains a work-in-progress, with Apple's seed notes outlining a long list of known issues and developers still reporting issues despite some progress being made in a number of areas.

Article Link: Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 2 Brings New Look for iCal

kfury77

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Osaka, Japan
hmm.. I don't like the look of the calendar. I prefer the simple look as it is in Snow Leopard. I hope there is option to switch it to that look.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
it looked way better in the last version of lion.
that is seriously ugly, although it works on the ipad.

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Wow, that's unbearably ugly. Looks like we're heading to Tiger's level of random UI elements, right? :(

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I am not too keen on this "cartoony" 3D effect Apple seem to be going for.

Torn off pages… faux-leather binding… I mean doesn't anyone else think it is a bit corny?
It really does seems as if the cutesyeness of the iOS is spreading over to OSX.

I'd prefer a clean modern OS with usability first and foremost.

Screw the gratuitous eyecandy…

Hardtimes

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
If apple force that tacky ical onto me (and don't give me a classy, cleaner option) I'll be looking elsewhere for a calendar. Simple

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX

Torn off pages… faux-leather binding… I mean doesn't anyone else think it is a bit corny?

Most people with a mac also have ios devices, why not make it a bit more consistant?

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
It would be nice, if the user could change the windows (UI) color in MacOS X like this can already be done in Windows / Linux.

So, that you could change the grey look to something else. They could integrate the color chooser, like you have, when you work with fonts etc.

After all, Mac is sold to consumers, so why not give them the choise of colors, at least in their programs, if their computers are cold/neutrla grey/silver/white colored?

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa

Wow. I thought I was the only one-nice to see that at least one other person feels the same way.

Last edited:

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Like the guy above, I want the ability to change the color of windows or something. The grey os x theme is really boring.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
This is it!

Just what I wanted to see.

Bye Bye UI Guidelines.

This is going to be huge for Mac OS X. UI Guidelines were great but could stagnant the look. The OS needs to look rich in colour.

Very happy with the change and the development.

Just my 2 cents.

Mistrblank

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
I prefer the clean look of the current versions as well. It would be nice if Apple would actually implement a system with unified look.

The iPad and iOS get away with it because you have one window at full screen to look at. With a computer, I want my components to look alike and behave alike as they sit side by side.

If you're going to add this crappy eye-candy, at the very least give us the ability to reskin all of it.

Last edited:

espressoroast

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Amsterdam
The rest of the design is not so bad but I wish Apple would get over the urge to make things look like their physical incarnations. I know there is a name for this but it escapes me at the moment.

Hardtimes

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Perhaps they should give away some crayons and a colouring book to everyone who buys a new mac aswell?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.