PDA

View Full Version : ASUS Transformer... Not an IPad though!

Cheetablaze
Mar 31, 2011, 11:24 AM
Has anybody been keeping tabs on ASUS and what they are doing to break into the tablet market? Head over to YouTube and type in "ASUS transformer".
I don't want to take any sunlight away from the iPad because I own an iPad 2 and I'm loving it! Best buy even has it on their site for 399.99. Release for mid April supposedly.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Eee+Pad+Transformer+Tablet+/+NVIDIA+Tegra+2+Processor+/+10.1%22+Display+/+1GB+Memory+/+16GB+Hard+Drive+-+Brown/Black/2475916.p?id=1218329537880&skuId=2475916&st=ASUS%20transformer&cp=1&lp=1

Just thought I would share it with everybody, I will definitely want to put my hands on it before pulling the trigger. ASUS has been hit and miss with the build quality on past laptops. The tablet looks a bit on the big size as well, the surrounding bezel looks huge.

Have a nice day everybody!

Phil A.
Mar 31, 2011, 11:33 AM
It's just a honeycomb tablet with a removable keyboard, though and seems more of a gimmick than a real breakthrough.
I'll stick with my iPad, thanks and if I ever feel the need to turn it into a notebook, I'll get one of these (http://clamcase.com/)

OSMac
Mar 31, 2011, 11:39 AM
Looks interesting and with an IPS display, too.

Don't see any need for the keyboard but at least its an option if someone does.

At $399 it will get positive attention,
something that Samsung and Motorola tablets failed to do so far.

Not a fan of the Rocketship 7 Android 3.0 theme, but some key things about Android are better than iOS, some aren't.

Will it put the $599 Xoom out of business ?

pugnut
Mar 31, 2011, 11:47 AM
Do the newbies get paid by the post or actually think posting in the apple based boards about mediocre products will make a difference

vito
Mar 31, 2011, 11:51 AM
lol has anyone seen the first link which comes up in Youtube, audience seems very quiet, pretty anti-climatic!

AppleGoddess
Mar 31, 2011, 11:52 AM
Meh..

matrix07
Mar 31, 2011, 12:03 PM
Will it put the $599 Xoom out of business ?

And Galaxy Tab? :D

barkomatic
Mar 31, 2011, 12:09 PM
Looks good but it needs a 3G or 4G connectivity option and more flash drive space.

Good price point though.

aibo82
Mar 31, 2011, 12:19 PM
Did anyone see the side view? Design cue from ipad 1!!! Lol

And ipad 1 transformed with the keyboard dock!

Yawn asus yawn!!!

jmattaxel
Mar 31, 2011, 12:29 PM
underneath the keyboard is additional battery that can make it last for 16 hours :eek:.

Good.Shepherd
Mar 31, 2011, 12:31 PM
I always find it a little funny when people type the word "Wow" in for you in the title.

Cheetablaze
Mar 31, 2011, 02:39 PM
This by no means would trump the iPad but it's Interesting to know that the other companies are stepping up their game. The price will be attractive to people that don't want to cough up at least 499.

kenypowa
Mar 31, 2011, 02:43 PM
I'm actually very intrigued by this device. $399 is very affordable and it could be the perfect compromise between tablet and a notebook.

OSMac
Mar 31, 2011, 03:23 PM
This by no means would trump the iPad but it's Interesting to know that the other companies are stepping up their game. The price will be attractive to people that don't want to cough up at least 499.

And those who prefer to drag N drop music and videos from any computer to a tablet.
And those who want flash.
And those who find fonts soft on the ipad.

A 399 honeycomb tablet with an 10 ips screen will sell well.

Piggie
Mar 31, 2011, 03:25 PM
underneath the keyboard is additional battery that can make it last for 16 hours :eek:.

Indeed.

The sad thing is, if Apple had made this with say an iPad dockable keyboard with extra battery to give you say 20 hours total, they would be jumping up and down about how awesome it is.

Because it's not Apple it's a dumb idea :(

Skika
Mar 31, 2011, 03:41 PM
All teh technology and yet, it fails at scrolling :o. 4 fps scrolling.

anjinha
Mar 31, 2011, 05:12 PM
Indeed.

The sad thing is, if Apple had made this with say an iPad dockable keyboard with extra battery to give you say 20 hours total, they would be jumping up and down about how awesome it is.

Because it's not Apple it's a dumb idea :(

Yeah, right. You can't criticize Apple's competitors without being labeled as Apple sheep. :rolleyes:

Cheetablaze
Mar 31, 2011, 07:11 PM
Lol they took it off of their website, cowards!

bossxii
Mar 31, 2011, 07:16 PM
This may attract some attention, but I'm amazed the put in a quality IPS screen yet drop in a hard drive over flash storage? Ouch. Hate to see that 4200 RPM drive perform.

3.0 is a solid platform for tablets offering some very usable advantages for me, but the iPad 1 and 2 are very polished/complete products that I don't see $100 changing anyones mind from the baseline iPad 2 to this tablet. Asus stripped out way to much and made to many bad choices imo to take away business. The best chance for Honeycomb to gain some traction is Moto dropping a high quality IPS screen in the Xoom 2. That is my only major issue with the current Xoom.

radiohead14
Mar 31, 2011, 11:33 PM
This may attract some attention, but I'm amazed the put in a quality IPS screen yet drop in a hard drive over flash storage? Ouch. Hate to see that 4200 RPM drive perform.

i highly doubt that there's an hdd in there :) it'll be 16 and 32 gb ssd's

Mac.World
Apr 1, 2011, 01:07 AM
It's a 16GB SSD in there, not a hard drive. But what is not being read very carefully is the fine print. That $499 price point is dependent upon country and other factors. Apparently, it's already available in Taiwan, but no one seems to really be giving it to much hype.

As for battery life, these are claimed times based of what Asus did to get them. in other words, brightness set to near low and maybe some lite email and web surfing. flash was not enabled.