Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alex Hobbs

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Just from people that have it installed, are the rumours from TechCrunch true regarding it being a golden master?

It seems like Apple have a long way to go regarding what they've posted in known issues, so how can it be a golden master already?

Alex Hobbs

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
No need to be rude...

More importantly, this is the build that Apple is considering to be a “GM1″ revision internally

Was just wondering if that means it is already featured-locked.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
GM would mean this is the final, shipping version. So no. I don't think we'll get the GM til June...maybe at the WWDC.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
I hear a lot of confusion about this. I don't know why TechCrunch said what they did, but by all accounts, there is no golden master right now. This is just a developer preview. After this there will (probably) be betas. And after that there will eventually be a golden master or two.

Apple uses the term "golden master" uniquely, but it's basically what most software companies would call a "release candidate". The goal is to make only one RC. You release a RC build when you legitimately believe that the product is complete and this is the build you plan on releasing to the public. It's the last phase in testing. You let your testers try it out and see if there are any show-stopping flaws, if not, the "release candidate" becomes the "release".

When the GM is ready, it will be released to developers and labeled as such, and the public release will follow very shortly after. I don't know why TechCrunch is claiming this is an "internal GM", maybe they know something I don't, but as it stands it seems they are just causing confusion.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
I think you mean Golden Master Candidate, and no, this is not. GM Candidates generally don't have a list of known problems. It just means that they fixed everything they know of and it is feature complete.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I hear a lot of confusion about this. I don't know why TechCrunch said what they did, but by all accounts, there is no golden master right now. This is just a developer preview. After this there will (probably) be betas. And after that there will eventually be a golden master or two.

Right. Adobe and other big software manufacturers need at least > 6 months to optimize their software (much more than just InDesign and Photoshop) for the new OS. Apple probably wants to optimize Lion for Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge (via Intels Mac OS X compilers, not just via the GCC), which means that we will see Lion GM/RTM in January/February 2012 and Lion final in March/April 2012. This would make more sense, because it reduces additional development costs for Apple, after Ivy Bridge comes out.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
I don't know why TechCrunch is claiming this is an "internal GM", maybe they know something I don't, but as it stands it seems they are just causing confusion.

Duff-Man says....I suspect that someone just misunderstood or misinterpreted something they heard or were told. Perhaps what was said regarding which build to release as the 2nd preview got twisted into being *the* GM release....oh yeah!

macmikey2

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
West Chester, PA
Techcrunch is the LAST place I would go, even after deciding to not look any further, I still would not go there or read anything they claim.

Just my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.