Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
New England
OK. I read this and I'm still confused.

http://developer.apple.com/library/...s.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40007959-CH4-SW2

What I want to be able to do:

• Work on projects from my MB and MBP and not have it complain that the identity doesn't match
  • Be able to deliver a source tree to another developer without it complaining that the identity doesn't match.
  • Be able to take someone else's project (e.g. downloaded from the web) and get it to hardware without basically having to create a new project and move all the code into it.

Both of my systems are running Xcode 3.2.5 on 10.6.6.

Help! Why are my two Macs complaining about my identity if they are tied to the same developer account. Do I need to copy one of the certificates from KeyChain Access to the other machine?

How do I remove my identity from the Xcode project to deliver a "clean" project folder someone else could compile and run on hardware?

B

Last edited:

(marc)

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
the woods
I can't answer your question but I'm upset about code signing as well. I can't believe Apple is spending so much time & effort on something that actively annoys everyone involved.

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
If your project target is set to use "iPhone Developer" it should just match the new iPhone developer that you send the project to. When it says iPhone Developer it will match your Team Profile and I think will also match anyone else's team profile.

Pretty sure that if you build an app from template that's what you get.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
New England
If your project target is set to use "iPhone Developer" it should just match the new iPhone developer that you send the project to. When it says iPhone Developer it will match your Team Profile and I think will also match anyone else's team profile.

Pretty sure that if you build an app from template that's what you get.

Maybe that's part of the problem. My Macbook somehow ended up with "iPhone Developer (me@domain.com)" instead of "iPhone Developer" as I see it on the MBP (in Keychain Access). That's what ends up being used in the template there.

I've also had trouble with projects downloaded giving me the same grief.

Is there a smart way to get a new "iPhone Developer" cert on the MacBook?

B

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
In the organizer window under Developer Profile in Xcode 3.2.6 you can export the identities. I would have guessed that you would have already tried that though. That seems to be the way to do it. You might need to delete what's already on your second machine and then import the correct identity.

I guess both machines should use the same Team Provisioning Profile, but I don't know for sure.

dantastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
I actually think Apple has done a really good job with the whole handing out certificates and the integration. The certificate bits are all industry standard and it's a pretty simple concept, you just need to have the right file installed.

on the page where you generate the certs there are pretty good step by step howtos of what to do - https://developer.apple.com/ios/manage/overview/index.action

In your case though, if you want to be the same developer on several machines you need to manually export and import your identity.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I....hate.....code signing.....

I have to redo Unity (and now Corona SDK) every time Apple updates XCode because all my stuff goes invalid for some reason.

If I would get my @$$ moving and finish my projects then I wouldn't have to worry about it now would I :p

Sykte

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
On your target, Validate Built Product turn Debug to NO. Leave Release to YES.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Thanks to all. I got the two machines synced.

Apparently I can't read, since I missed the bit right at the end of the link I posted first in the section on Managing Your Digital Identities.

If you need to use another computer to develop iOS applications, you must transfer these digital-identification items to the other computer. You can do this in the Xcode Organizer.

What's odd is that I had an "iPhone Developer" certificate in my keychain, but hadn't noticed that it was not actually showing up in Organizer at all on the MBP.

On your target, Validate Built Product turn Debug to NO. Leave Release to YES.

That seems to be how all my projects are set by default, yet it was still raising a stink.

B

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Oh crap! I totally forgot about exporting profiles. I've done it before but that was a while ago.

Sorry I could have helped you sooner : /

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.