PDA

View Full Version : Smart cover, another angle (middle position).

sweteg
Mar 31, 2011, 06:59 PM
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7631/img20110331195105.jpg

http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/4425/img20110331200634.jpg

I couldn't find another thread on the smart cover where someone covered this angle. Thought I would share for those who haven't discovered this yet. It's quite handy when I put it on my desk when I'm at the computer, etc. You can adjust the part keeping it angled up to how you like and it should still be stable when you try to push the top part of the screen.

Wiggum
Mar 31, 2011, 07:05 PM
Not bad....... thanks...

appleguy123
Mar 31, 2011, 07:18 PM
My friend was using my iPad today and discovered this exact angle. When I saw it, I couldn't believe that I didn't figure it out.

bluecluee
Mar 31, 2011, 07:18 PM
Works great. I never even thought to try that. Appreciate the tip

cc1013
Mar 31, 2011, 07:21 PM
Nice, thanks!

iggypod
Mar 31, 2011, 07:22 PM
Agreed. I love that angle when sitting on the couch with iPad in lap.

bibbz
Mar 31, 2011, 07:53 PM
I saw this in I believe the wallpaper thread a little bit ago. Anyways, great position.

And as a bonus, on your desk your iPad isn't in direct contact with a hard surface.

Night Spring
Mar 31, 2011, 08:26 PM
Huh? How are you getting it to stick? I tried this with my smart cover, and it doesn't stick to the iPad as in the OP.

sotie
Mar 31, 2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks. I just tried it and it's a really good angle for the couch!

KittyKatta
Mar 31, 2011, 09:55 PM
Neat, but I'm having much more success with my treated leather cover than the vinyl. The vinyls seems to slip too easily.

BadMoon
Mar 31, 2011, 10:01 PM
Very cool! :cool:

chiefpavvy
Mar 31, 2011, 11:48 PM
I'm returning the 'Smart Cover' for a proper case with a real stand. What an overpriced piece of junk!

The stand is so damn flimsy the slightest extra pressure causes my iPad to hit the surface flat and, in addition, I've had the damn thing pop off completely on a few occasions. It's awkward and very unstable.

roland.g
Mar 31, 2011, 11:56 PM
I was actually going to start a thread if I couldn't find one discussing that there was one area that the smart cover failed vs the original Apple case. And that is sitting on a couch or something with your leg crossed and the iPad in your lap. The first case allowed you to prop it at a nice angle. If you fold the cover into a triangle, the iPad doesn't hold position because the hinge allows it to slouch. With your idea, I can put the hinge against my lap and control the angle of lean.

Thanks.

sweteg
Mar 31, 2011, 11:57 PM
Huh? How are you getting it to stick? I tried this with my smart cover, and it doesn't stick to the iPad as in the OP.

It should stay as long as you don't go pass a 85-90 degree angle. I tested it a bunch of times and it was fine.

roland.g
Mar 31, 2011, 11:58 PM

Mine sticks. But it may be the skin I have on it give the cover enough resistance.

gospel9
Apr 23, 2011, 02:49 AM
This is such a great angle for viewing. I was about to make a thread too until this came out of the search. Works great unlike the very high up angle.

Stefx73
Apr 23, 2011, 09:04 AM

Same here, tried it but it just slips and goes to a flat position.

gospel9
Apr 23, 2011, 01:23 PM
Same here, tried it but it just slips and goes to a flat position.

Try changing the angle a little bit until it holds still. It is VERY sturdy for me once setup propery.

benjayman2
Apr 23, 2011, 01:53 PM
Try changing the angle a little bit until it holds still. It is VERY sturdy for me once setup propery.

Yah there is a point where you can apply a lot of pressure and it will not budge. It should take a few seconds of trial and error. By far the most versatile position.

gospel9
Apr 23, 2011, 02:54 PM
I took a photo of the position at another angle. I think this is shot makes it easier to see. And it works even on the bed or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Night Spring
Apr 23, 2011, 04:32 PM
I took a photo of the position at another angle. I think this is shot makes it easier to see. And it works even on the bed or whatever.

How is the flap sticking to the back of the iPad? Mine doesn't stick like that, it just flops down, then slides down flat when any pressure is applied.

BergerFan
Apr 23, 2011, 04:51 PM
This works a treat, if you place the edge of the cover just above the centre line of the camera and home button.

Note to self: it helps if the Cover is attached by the magnets on the bottom side. :o

jbud72
Apr 23, 2011, 05:18 PM
How is the flap sticking to the back of the iPad? Mine doesn't stick like that, it just flops down, then slides down flat when any pressure is applied.Same for me. I have a black leather smart cover FWIW.

canyonblue737
Apr 23, 2011, 07:54 PM
It doesn't need to stick to the back (the small flap). Just note where the "bend" or angle touches the back of the iPad in the photos, it is about just in line with the "home" button. If you put the bend there even if the flap on the inside hangs down it will support a ton of pressure before collapsing. A very nice way to type or even view the iPad on the table, much better than the normal typing position.

calvy
Apr 23, 2011, 08:20 PM
When I go to bed at night, I take my iPad, and I fold the smart cover up and use it to sort of prop the iPad up on my stomach for an almost straight up viewing angle on the Ipad screen. I was hoping maybe this method would be better for me, and more stable. But I can't imagine that cover holding it's position on a moving thing like my stomach as I breath in and out. My current method isn't great either, but this would be more of a PITA I'm pretty certain.

number84
Apr 23, 2011, 10:07 PM
Works well when semi laying on the couch. Thanks OP!

brudog68
Apr 23, 2011, 10:19 PM
I've been trying real hard to like my smart cover, but just too unstable for me in any position. Anyone want a black leather sc and tpu back case on the cheap? Lol

gospel9
Apr 23, 2011, 10:28 PM
How is the flap sticking to the back of the iPad? Mine doesn't stick like that, it just flops down, then slides down flat when any pressure is applied.

Make sure the cover is magnetically attached as per normally. Then just try to position it like shown in the photo. Try to find the sweet spot for it, you might have to do a little bit of trial and error at first.

Stefx73
Apr 23, 2011, 11:47 PM

Nope. I can make it look like on the pic, but the slightest force backwards or forwards makes the flap collapse. It is by no means stable at all with my cover.
Apple OEM back leather, FWIW.

gospel9
Apr 24, 2011, 02:30 AM
Nope. I can make it look like on the pic, but the slightest force backwards or forwards makes the flap collapse. It is by no means stable at all with my cover.
Apple OEM back leather, FWIW.

Wow I would find that surprising, would this be because you got a leather case? So you can't even stand it up at all, with it looking somewhat like the pic?