PDA

View Full Version : UT vs. Q3A in OSX and Installation issues

FattyMembrane
Sep 14, 2002, 06:25 PM
i have a few questions about these two games, particularly about their playability on my rage128 and whether or not they can be installed in osx. there was a thread a lttle while ago about installing UT in osx, but it seemed to die without much information being brought to light, so i was wondering...
1. Do either ut or q3 use only classic "installers" or is it possible to copy the necessary files from the cd directly to the hard drive and use the osx updates (my machine is now osx only and i dont want to have to re-install os9 just to install a game).
2. is the performance in 10.2 up to par with os9 performance for both of these games? i played the ut demo in 9, and it ran quite well on my machine; i'm assuming that it runs at about the same speed in 10.2. i also saw benchmarks to indicate that q3 gets higher frame rates on similar settings than ut does.
3. Which is your favorite? persuade me to buy one or the other.

imac g3 500 mhz rage128 16meg

Draft
Sep 15, 2002, 09:04 AM
About installing either of these in 10, I'll have to check that out. I'll let you know whenever I get some time.

As for performance in 10, both games are supposed to get way better framerates then their OS 9 versions. However, now that 10.2 has come out, there have been many performance issues with both. I believe that an update for both OS X versions is in order, but who knows how long that might take???

My personal favorite is UTX mostly due to the mod Tactical Ops. It's Counter Strike for the Mac, but way better. At any rate, UT itself, in every FPS review ever, has been rated above Q3 for fun and playability.

Hope that this helps,
Draft

FattyMembrane
Sep 15, 2002, 05:31 PM
thanks for the info draft. i saw a guy playing some cool mods on quake3, but i had always liked ut's gameplay a lot (and i can buy it for about half the price :)). i saw that you had posted a thread a litte earlier on installing ut in x, and if macsoft did the smart thing and just put the files on the cd and included an installer app to simply copy them to the hard drive, it should be possible to "install" without classic.

Draft
Sep 16, 2002, 01:54 PM
I just looked at the UT disk and as far as I can tell, every file that you will need is on there ready to be copied straight from the CD onto an OS X disk. The only things that are missing are the UT app itself and the ini files. You don't need these though because you'll be using the download-able OS X version of the app and the ini's. Note: I have the original version of UT, so the Game of the Year edition might be different.

For Q3A, I no longer have this installed, but I looked at the disk and it appears to have all of the necessary files in folders on this disk as well. I can't verify this for sure though.

Later,
Draft

FattyMembrane
Sep 16, 2002, 08:45 PM
thanks for all the info draft. you saved me a lot of time and headaches. now its off to gogamer.com...