PDA

View Full Version : icarbon vs BSE vs gelaskin...winner icarbon

glen e
Apr 1, 2011, 07:05 AM
winner on application procedure-only . If you need a clear back then BSE is fine, but icarbon is a better mounting.

I have installed Boat decal names and 3M di-noc CF for years so I am totally capable of wrapping the ipad in both skins above. I Just hate wet applications when it's not necessary. The icarbon is a dry app and a heat gun makes the corners lay down perfectly without showing the cut that is on the BSE for the corners.

The BSE also is too plastcky for me, you may feel different. The BSE for the front is FAR too thick for me to even think about mounting, here I'd do a power support or steinheil - both dry apps.

I'll mount the gelaskin later this weekend. Just hate wet apps.....

and don't go getting all up in arms I'm dissing the BSE, just not for me, glad you like yours...

PS pulled the dodo off the other day and stuck to a piece of wax paper, bad move - did not come off well - probably use the paper left for the icarbon in the future...

jedolley
Apr 1, 2011, 07:23 AM
iCarbon looks nice, and I like they can manage the corners without cuts. However, this (like many other comparisons on these boards) is like comparing apples to oranges. The reason people choose a skin like BSE, Ghost-Armor, etc. is because they want a scratch-proof skin that still shows the original hardware. It's just another case or "different strokes for different folks." Now if you wanted to compare iCarbon to Phantomskinz Chromatics (I would say iCarbon would probably win here) for example, then that would make more sense IMO.

glen e
Apr 1, 2011, 07:29 AM
iCarbon looks nice, and I like they can manage the corners without cuts. However, this (like many other comparisons on these boards) is like comparing apples to oranges. The reason people choose a skin like BSE, Ghost-Armor, etc. is because they want a scratch-proof skin that still shows the original hardware. It's just another case or "different strokes for different folks." Now if you wanted to compare iCarbon to Phantomskinz Chromatics (I would say iCarbon would probably win here) for example, then that would make more sense IMO.

read it again, I know it is apple to oranges and said that in the first sentence. I am talking about dry vs wet apps...strictly...just using these two as an example.

jedolley
Apr 1, 2011, 08:12 AM
read it again, I know it is apple to oranges and said that in the first sentence. I am talking about dry vs wet apps...strictly...just using these two as an example.

I read it right the first time... I really don't want to start an argument here, just stating the two products shouldn't be compared because they are completely different with completely different purposes. The same reason I don't think that people should compare "self healing" skins like BSE, Phantom Skins, Ghost Armor with the plastic sheet screen protectors like SGP, and PS.

I'm glad you like the iCarbon. I think the White Carbon Fiber would look nice on a White iPad, but personally I don't like the Carbon Fiber feel.

glen e
Apr 1, 2011, 11:06 AM
update - gelaskin just went on very easily - another 3m product - dry application. Corners completely cut out to avoid how the film would handle the creases...
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/9875744c.jpg

solaris7
Apr 1, 2011, 11:31 AM
They have a plain black gelaskin?

Xultar
Apr 1, 2011, 11:54 AM
winner on application procedure. If you need a clear back then BSE is fine, but icarbon is a better mounting.

I have installed Boat decal names and 3M di-noc CF for years so I am totally capable of wrapping the ipad in both skins above. I Just hate wet applications when it's not necessary. The icarbon is a dry app and a heat gun makes the corners lay down perfectly without showing the cut that is on the BSE for the corners.

The BSE also is too plastcky for me, you may feel different. The BSE for the front is FAR too thick for me to even think about mounting, here I'd do a power support or steinheil - both dry apps.

I'll mount the gelaskin later this weekend. Just hate wet apps.....

and don't go getting all up in arms I'm dissing the BSE, just not for me, glad you like yours...

PS pulled the dodo off the other day and stuck to a piece of wax paper, bad move - did not come off well - probably use the paper left for the icarbon in the future...

I don't get how the gelaskin lost.

glen e
Apr 1, 2011, 01:17 PM
I don't get how the gelaskin lost.

just lost that I like CF and CF corners......but easy install - yes I requested straight black gelaskin...don't like designs...

Here's the white iCarbon - what I'm staying with for now:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/21a3b32d.jpg

Xultar
Apr 1, 2011, 05:29 PM
just lost that I like CF and CF corners......but easy install - yes I requested straight black gelaskin...don't like designs...

Here's the white iCarbon - what I'm staying with for now:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/21a3b32d.jpg

The white looks sharp. Was there some sort of sticker for the apple logo or is it just showing through as is the cutout?

glen e
Apr 1, 2011, 05:44 PM
cf supplied for the apple logo, not the bare logo sticking thru - see the youtube install for icarbon...last step

Fixmy59bug
Apr 1, 2011, 10:23 PM
I am so glad I chose the iCarbons skin.

And they have made me a customer for life...

I installed the front and back skin on my iPad 2, and messed up the apple logo.

I sent then an email explaining that I messed up and would like to buy a new apple logo. I asked how to pay for one and their response surprised me.

"We understand that things happen and application can some times be tricky. We have sent you another apple logo, free of charge."

They didn't even ask for shipping.

Of course I recommend iCarbons from now on. The fact the product looks fantastic is a pleasant bonus.