Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdenverr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
OH
Hi fellow Mac users - I'm currently experiencing an error message with my MacBook and cannot figure out how fix it. The message says

"You need to restart you computer. Hold down the Power button until it turns off, then press the power button again."

It goes on to say this in several other languages. Now, my problem is that when I do hold down the power button (the one the the top left corner of my mac) it does nothing. I've held it down for over 5 minutes at a time and it still doesn't do anything. I cannot move my cursor, and the screen is frozen. I have researched the issue enough to find out that it is called "kernel panic" --- however, I have found no one with the same issue as I have where they can't even restart their Mac.

I'm typing on a PC right now and can't wait to get back on my Mac with your help. It is especially important because I use it for schooling. I'm far from a techy (obviously), so pretend you're typing to a baby when replying ;)

Thank you very much!!!

Last edited:

bdenverr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
OH
I'd like to humor you all by saying that I fixed this problem by pressing the power button down harder. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.