PDA

View Full Version : Incipio NGP Matte case for iPad 2 now available to order!

reebs
Apr 1, 2011, 06:33 PM
http://www.myincipio.com/iPad-2-Cases-Accessories/Incipio-iPad-2-NGP-Matte-Semi-Rigid-Soft-Shell-Case.asp

This is one of my favorite cases for my iPhone 4! Just ordered. Can't wait!

meihcydna
Apr 1, 2011, 08:10 PM
nice find, actually considering getting this case now rather than waiting for speck

sparkstsa
Apr 2, 2011, 09:43 AM
Just ordered one. I really enjoy the one I have on my iphone 4. Getting the translucent mercury to match.

If anyone decides to order direct from incipio, use coupon code "FBFAN2011" for a $5.25 discount.

j-a-x
Apr 2, 2011, 10:42 AM
I just ordered one of these with the coupon code. I thought I was going to just wait for the smart cover compatible feather case but I can't decide if I want this case or the feather. I only really use the smart cover as a typing stand and the sleep wake thing is nice but is it really necessary? And the NGP seems like it will provide much better overall protection. I could always try cutting the ngp to fit the smart cover like I did with my cheap TPU case but I might be more hesitant to do that with a $25 case. anyways, I hope if I don't Ike it they might be willing to let me exchange it for the feather. Does anybody know if Incipio has a decent return policy?

meihcydna
Apr 6, 2011, 02:11 PM
Just got mines today, overall it's a nice case with a nice feel to it. But the buttons on the casing don't align up correctly to the volume and power buttons making it very stiff to press. I've already contacted Incipio about this and hope they fix it.
http://i53.tinypic.com/2vd5oxl.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/142x75s.jpg

Sh0k
Apr 6, 2011, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the pictures, I should be receiving mine tomorrow. It sucks about the buttons alignment though, let us know if Incipio answers you back.

Ponderous
Apr 6, 2011, 02:48 PM
So this case doesn't work with the smart cover then?

meihcydna
Apr 6, 2011, 03:27 PM
So this case doesn't work with the smart cover then?

most likely not, due to the thickness. I've seen other users with TPU cases that had to cut the side out for the smart cover.

reebs
Apr 6, 2011, 09:30 PM
Got my turquoise one today too. Fits great! Yes, buttons on volume rockers kinda stiff but should loosen over time. Also little saggy around dock port area but don't anticpate this being a problem since I won't be pulling it in and out of my pocket like my iPhone. Sleep/wake button very responsive. Love the see thru look of the back. Will post pics soon.

Tedddman
Apr 6, 2011, 11:01 PM
I also got the Turquoise model and am happy to report that while the button housing on the volume rocker might be a millimeter off or so, it works just fine. If I hadn't read this thread, I wouldn't have noticed anything.

Love the look of the turquoise ngp case on the white iPad 2, btw. Brings to mind the color scheme of the original iMacs!

j-a-x
Apr 6, 2011, 11:27 PM
I also got the Turquoise model and am happy to report that while the button housing on the volume rocker might be a millimeter off or so, it works just fine. If I hadn't read this thread, I wouldn't have noticed anything.

Love the look of the turquoise ngp case on the white iPad 2, btw. Brings to mind the color scheme of the original iMacs!

I ordered the turquoise as well. I ordered on Friday but they didn't ship until Tuesday despite sending the shipment notification on Monday (USPS) so it looks like I won't get it tomorrow unless Im really lucky...

Can somebody post pics of the turquoise? I'd love to see! Also how is the transparency? I thought it was cool that these cases were partially transparent.

Also how are the screen protectors? Pretty standard I am guessing.

I think I am returning my smart cover when I get my case. I took it off today and I actually like using the iPad much more without it flapping around while I'm reading. I thought about cutting my NGP to fit it but now I think I'll just use it as is.

Also with my smart cover I managed to get two micro scratches. I can't see them unless I really look hard and shine the light just right but still, they are there. They are most likely to dust or sand particles that got onto the microfiber part of the smart cover which sticks outward when in stand mode. I think I'm going to instal the Incipio screen protector as soon as I get it.

deluxeh0
Apr 7, 2011, 12:26 AM
Will it fit with the dock?

j-a-x
Apr 7, 2011, 12:46 AM
I doubt it.

Tedddman
Apr 7, 2011, 02:04 AM
Can somebody post pics of the turquoise? I'd love to see! Also how is the transparency? I thought it was cool that these cases were partially transparent.

Also how are the screen protectors? Pretty standard I am guessing.Here are a couple of pics, but they don't really do the color and translucency justice. Never realized how hard it was to take a picture of an iPad. :)

As for the protectors, they're basic, the same ones included with the Incipio Feather iPad 2 model, shown in this review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3IAB-mn4yk

I'm not going to bother installing them, since Power Support Crystal for iPad 2 ships tomorrow. Does anyone know how well the NGP case will work with PS Crystal screen film? Hopefully it will be seamless and the case won't knock off the film.

j-a-x
Apr 7, 2011, 06:52 AM
I like how little this case seems to stick out of the front of the iPad. The thing I like least about ym $1.50 Chinese TPU case is how much of the front bezel it covers WMD how high up above the screen I is.

Is there wt least somewhat of a lip though that prevents the screen from scripting if it is face down?

meihcydna
Apr 7, 2011, 02:21 PM
I like how little this case seems to stick out of the front of the iPad. The thing I like least about ym $1.50 Chinese TPU case is how much of the front bezel it covers WMD how high up above the screen I is.

Is there wt least somewhat of a lip though that prevents the screen from scripting if it is face down?

yeah the lip is pretty high up compared to the chinese tpu cases. but the downfall is that i've come across that the edges just slip off the ipad too easily. it doesn't "hug" the sides tightly enough.

Tedddman
Apr 7, 2011, 02:42 PM
Mine seems to hug just tightly enough, any tighter and I was told the power support crystal film could have bubbled up on the edges. Got that installed today and I can confirm it works fine with the NGP case.

There is a good lip above the bezel with the NGP that would stop the screen from hitting a flat surface in a face-down fall, but just barely. Maybe 3mm thick.

j-a-x
Apr 7, 2011, 04:55 PM
Is the Power Support film really any better than other screen protectors? I was thinking of just starting off with the Incipio one before I get anything too fancy. I'm loking forward to having my iPad well protected and Smart Cover free.

It looks like mine won't arrive today, the last time the shipping status updated it was on the 5th in Anaheim CA. Maybe tomorrow if I'm lucky.

Sh0k
Apr 7, 2011, 05:48 PM
Is the Power Support film really any better than other screen protectors? I was thinking of just starting off with the Incipio one before I get anything too fancy. I'm loking forward to having my iPad well protected and Smart Cover free.

It looks like mine won't arrive today, the last time the shipping status updated it was on the 5th in Anaheim CA. Maybe tomorrow if I'm lucky.

If you install the ones included with the Incipio cases, install the clear one. When I ordered my feather frost I installed the clear and it was great, the only problem is that I had some dust in between the screen and the protector and trying to fix it, I made it worst. I installed the anti glare, but the quality is not that good, it has like a rainbow effect and it kills the brightness of the screen.

I'm still waiting for my NGP to be delivered, but I guess I will get it tomorrow. As soon as I get it, I will be installing the clear screen protector.

j-a-x
Apr 7, 2011, 06:55 PM
If you're not going to use the matte screen protector, a good idea might be to install the matte first, then remove it and immediately install the clear. That way any dust that would have been stock will end up on the one you don't want. Think of it as cleaning your screen.

I hate installing those things but I hear that if you get a dust/bubble you can use a piece of scotch tape to remove the dust . I haven't tried that before but I might when I get my case.

I hope I'll get my case tomorrow too.

meihcydna
Apr 7, 2011, 07:25 PM
If you're not going to use the matte screen protector, a good idea might be to install the matte first, then remove it and immediately install the clear. That way any dust that would have been stock will end up on the one you don't want. Think of it as cleaning your screen.

I hate installing those things but I hear that if you get a dust/bubble you can use a piece of scotch tape to remove the dust . I haven't tried that before but I might when I get my case.

I hope I'll get my case tomorrow too.

Best way to put on a screen protector without dust is to have your shower running on the very hottest setting and let it run for 5-10 minutes allowing steam to run throughout the bathroom. Make sure your iPad screen is clean of dust (use microfiber cloth and air duster) and enter the bathroom. The steam makes the dust in the bathroom heavy so it falls, allowing you to somewhat work in a dust free environment. I've always done this method for the past few years for putting on screen protectors, works best for me. And yes use tape to remove dust that's under the screen protector, try not to get your fingerprints on it though.

j-a-x
Apr 8, 2011, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the screen protector tips.
Mine is in Houston now so it'll most likely be delivered today. I'll post some photos when I get it!

Sh0k
Apr 8, 2011, 12:52 PM
Got my Incipio NGP Translucent Mercury today and I love it! It matches my NGP for my iPhone 4 :D

Installed the clear screen protector with no problems thanks to meihcydna's tip. Got a little dust specks under but took care of them with scotch tape.

j-a-x
Apr 8, 2011, 05:03 PM
I got mine too! And I also got the screen protector on without too much trouble using the humid bathroom technique!

Here are some photos taken with my iPhone. I can take some with my better camera later if anybody wants.

meihcydna
Apr 9, 2011, 06:18 PM
anyone see streaking on the clear screen protector from incipio? you can see it under a certain angle of light reflection.. sort of annoys me :(

ALSO

incipio emailed me back regarding the misalignment of the NGP case. they said they sent my concerns to the product development team and will keep me posted on the revision.

j-a-x
Apr 9, 2011, 10:13 PM
Yeah I noticed the streaks too but I can only see that when the screen is off so its only sort of annoying. I had a cheap Chinese no name screen protector that was like that once. I kind of expected more from incipio but at least it came with a screen protector.

seanpholman
Apr 10, 2011, 06:28 PM
I am really interested in this case. How pliable is it? I am worried that it might be too soft or "gummy". My wife has a silicone iPhone case for her 3GS and after a year it just doesn't fit anymore, as it has gotten very loose.

--Sean

j-a-x
Apr 10, 2011, 06:38 PM
Its not soft and gummy at all. It actually harder than I expected but not hard like a hard shell. It's somewhere between a hard shell and tpu. Realy hard to describe. It's also matte and has a nice texture. I agree it is a little too flexible at the dock connector but thats really minor.

seanpholman
Apr 10, 2011, 08:49 PM
Its not soft and gummy at all. It actually harder than I expected but not hard like a hard shell. It's somewhere between a hard shell and tpu. Realy hard to describe. It's also matte and has a nice texture. I agree it is a little too flexible at the dock connector but thats really minor.

Thanks, sounds like the way to go.

--Sean

menist
Apr 11, 2011, 12:57 AM
I'm interested in getting this case aswell. Do you guys know if it bubble up the screen protector when put on?

Tedddman
Apr 11, 2011, 01:54 AM
I'm interested in getting this case aswell. Do you guys know if it bubble up the screen protector when put on?It didn't bubble up my Power Support Crystal film. Works just fine with it.

meihcydna
Apr 11, 2011, 02:34 AM
I'm interested in getting this case aswell. Do you guys know if it bubble up the screen protector when put on?

doesn't bubble up the incipio screen protector provided either. Will test on sgp's later when I get my ipad replaced when they fix the bleeding issues

meihcydna
Apr 11, 2011, 03:36 PM
Incipio contacted me this morning regarding about the misalignment issue and said they have already revised the case and are sending me a replacement. Also we don't have to send in the original defective one either!

j-a-x
Apr 11, 2011, 11:20 PM
Wow good deal, I feel like I should contact them about it too!

Tedddman
Apr 12, 2011, 12:13 AM
Hmm, any downside to contacting them? While my NGP works well enough, if they've already revised it, it'd be nice to get the 100% correct version.

meihcydna
Apr 12, 2011, 01:25 AM
Hmm, any downside to contacting them? While my NGP works well enough, if they've already revised it, it'd be nice to get the 100% correct version.

No downside, all I did was contact them about misalignment issue and they emailed back saying they were looking into it. Couple days later, another representative contacted me saying the revised case has been made and they need to confirm the shipping address. I would encourage you to do it since you have nothing to lose.

seanpholman
Apr 12, 2011, 02:22 AM
Just ordered mine yesterday, so it will be interesting to see which version I get.

--Sean

meihcydna
Apr 12, 2011, 02:32 PM
I'm disappointed. I got the revised NGP case today to find that it has the same exact issue. Maybe I got the same defective old one? Anywho I contacted Incipio again about this and will keep you posted.

Cheetablaze
Apr 12, 2011, 03:04 PM
Ooo... tempted on getting this, anybody have a zagg on the front of their Ipad 2? I kinda wish it would cover more the bezel but on well.

j-a-x
Apr 12, 2011, 03:55 PM
I contacted them about it today and they haven't gotten back to me yet.

EDIT: Actually they are also sending me a replacement case as well!

seanpholman
Apr 13, 2011, 02:56 AM
I got mine delivered today (smoke for a white pad) and so far I really like it. I was amazed at the quality of packaging and how much stuff comes with it. This cover was exactly the kind of protection I was looking for and the non-matte screen protector is very high quality. There is no difference in the way the screen looks, you can't even tell it is there. As far as the mold being slightly off, I don't see it being more than a cosmetic issue. Everything works as expected.

--Sean

Tedddman
Apr 14, 2011, 10:28 PM
I received my replacement NGP today, and unfortunately it also has the slight misalignment issue with the volume button housing. You can tell it's a bit off without even opening the box, as the volume moulding isn't centered underneath the orientation lock opening, it's a bit too far forward.

Anyway, it's still a great, functional case and Incipio gets high marks for sending a replacement so fast. It just seems there never was an NGP revision. We'll see if they ever correct it, but I'm happy enough with it as is.

j-a-x
Apr 14, 2011, 11:32 PM
2 for the price of one is a good deal, but it's weird that they didn't fix it yet sent replacements out anyways.

Customer service from Incipio is top notch but communications between customer service and engineering might be lacking.

The misalignment isn't a huge deal to me, I just thought that since others were getting replacements, I would ask for one too because it would be nice if it was perfect. You kind of expect a premium case to fit perfectly but then again, I might not have noticed the misalignment until I was told to look for it. It's that minor.

Sh0k
Apr 15, 2011, 11:00 AM
Got my replacement case today but as everybody else, they sent me the same case, the volume rocker cover is exactly at the same height as the other case and that's the main problem with the case. The power on/off is not much of a problem, still misaligned, but it's easy to use with the cover.

The only difference is that this time they sent me a full retail package compared to the pro-green packages they were using before.

meihcydna
Apr 15, 2011, 01:01 PM
Got my replacement case today but as everybody else, they sent me the same case, the volume rocker cover is exactly at the same height as the other case and that's the main problem with the case. The power on/off is not much of a problem, still misaligned, but it's easy to use with the cover.

The only difference is that this time they sent me a full retail package compared to the pro-green packages they were using before.

Exactly, I contacted them about it and they said they're trying to fix the issue right now and will have new revised cases by the end of next week. They gave me a choice of getting another replacement, exchanging it for another case, or get a refund. I'm just going to simply wait for the new revised case. Although it bothers me having the misaligned volume rocker by making it stiffer to press, overall i love the feel and look.

j-a-x
Apr 15, 2011, 08:13 PM

Same here. I got my replacement today and I can't tell if its any different than before but it doesn't seem like it. This time they sent it in the full retail packaging which kind of seems like a waste. Still 2 cases for the price of one is pretty sweet. I might give one to my next family member to get an iPad.

I still like the NGP but I am using the STM skinny nownn

hoofbite
Apr 25, 2011, 03:07 AM
Any updates on the 'revised' case?

Sh0k
Apr 27, 2011, 08:45 PM
Just got an email from Incipio that they are shipping the new revision tomorrow. This is going to be my third NGP, hopefully they did fix the volume misalignment this time.

meihcydna
Apr 28, 2011, 03:39 AM
Just got an email from Incipio that they are shipping the new revision tomorrow. This is going to be my third NGP, hopefully they did fix the volume misalignment this time.

Same, they just shipped it out and i'll be getting it later today. Will update this thread about it.

Sh0k
Apr 29, 2011, 10:10 PM
Same, they just shipped it out and i'll be getting it later today. Will update this thread about it.

Did you get the revised NGP case? Mine won't be here until maybe next week. Let me know if it is fixed.

hoofbite
Apr 30, 2011, 01:09 AM
I actually order one the other day and got it already, they confirmed to me before ordering it is the revised case. I can say yes it is, it fits perfectly the way it should.

Amazing case by the way, I couldn't be happier.

meihcydna
May 1, 2011, 02:07 AM
Did you get the revised NGP case? Mine won't be here until maybe next week. Let me know if it is fixed.

Yes I did and it lines up correctly. It looks good but the only downfall and deal breaker would be how stiff the volume rocker is.. you can barely feel a responsive touch

gugy
May 1, 2011, 11:05 AM
I like this case but they need to figure out a way to work with the smart covers.

Tedddman
May 1, 2011, 09:49 PM
Yes I did and it lines up correctly. It looks good but the only downfall and deal breaker would be how stiff the volume rocker is.. you can barely feel a responsive touchBut is it easier to push down and change the volume compared to the original misaligned NGP?

meihcydna
May 1, 2011, 11:11 PM
But is it easier to push down and change the volume compared to the original misaligned NGP?

i have to admit, the misaligned NGP was easier to press down with compared to the corrected case..

Tedddman
May 1, 2011, 11:53 PM
Whoa, did not expect that. Would you actually recommend I just keep my original case as it is?

meihcydna
May 2, 2011, 12:06 AM
Whoa, did not expect that. Would you actually recommend I just keep my original case as it is?

if you're not OCD about the whole misalignment, otherwise yes keep the older case.

moosquared
May 2, 2011, 05:01 AM
So... if I order it today, I'd get the new corrected one right?

This looks like a great case while I waited for my Treegloo case to be shipped. :D

Sh0k
May 2, 2011, 01:24 PM
Got my replacement today and everything aligns perfect. Got a different retail package this time, smaller than the 2nd package I got and it came with a clear screen protector only, doesn't come with the clear and anti-glare protector anymore.

Glad that they fixed the problem with the case and excellent customer support from Incipio.

hoofbite
May 5, 2011, 12:17 AM
Got my replacement today and everything aligns perfect. Got a different retail package this time, smaller than the 2nd package I got and it came with a clear screen protector only, doesn't come with the clear and anti-glare protector anymore.

Glad that they fixed the problem with the case and excellent customer support from Incipio.

Are those screen protectors any good?

meihcydna
May 5, 2011, 04:19 AM

they're both alright.. better to go off with SGP or PowerSupport. I'm currently using the clear incipio's and when screen is off, it's streaky

Sh0k
May 5, 2011, 06:54 AM

I'm currently using the clear one and it's great, you can barely notice that the screen protector is on. Like meihcydna said, under weird lighting conditions, you see some streaks across the screen protector but only when the iPad screen is off, when the iPad screen is on, you don't notice the streaks.

I've also tried the anti-glare, but it takes a lot of the brightness off the screen and makes most text way to blurry.

Tedddman
May 6, 2011, 03:16 AM
So what's the verdict for those who had both the original and then the revised NGP for iPad 2? Is it functionally better?

If the volume rocker really is even harder to push down in the fixed version, I won't bother replacing mine... The stiff volume control is the only issue.

Sh0k
May 6, 2011, 06:53 AM
So what's the verdict for those who had both the original and then the revised NGP for iPad 2? Is it functionally better?

If the volume rocker really is even harder to push down in the fixed version, I won't bother replacing mine... The stiff volume control is the only issue.

The new revision makes it harder to push the volume rocker up or down, compared to the original, it was easier to press.

Still like the case a lot, I will give it some time, maybe with the use it get's easier to press the volume rocker. If not, I will go back to the original.

seanpholman
May 6, 2011, 10:31 PM
I have the original, and I like it a lot, but it fits loose. Do the new ones fit tighter?

--Sean