PDA

View Full Version : AYL carbon fiber case

bigstar81
Apr 2, 2011, 01:59 AM
Any thoughts on the AYL carbon fiber case. I saw it on Amazon, like the viewing angles and tying postion.

Built
Apr 2, 2011, 10:13 AM
Any thoughts on the AYL carbon fiber case. I saw it on Amazon, like the viewing angles and tying postion.

Just ordered one. I WAS waiting for the Yoobao Magic for the iPad 2 but I prefer carbon fiber anyway. It ships on 4/5...

sotie
Apr 2, 2011, 10:30 AM
This case looks pretty interesting. Please post your thoughts on it once you receive it!

Built
Apr 2, 2011, 10:34 AM
This case looks pretty interesting. Please post your thoughts on it once you receive it!

Will do! I don't have my iPad 2 yet (still using my iPad 1)...I'm waiting for them to sort out the quality control issues evident with this current batch...but I will post my thoughts on this product when I get it...

jeff_siler
Apr 7, 2011, 11:54 PM
I'm intrigued by this case. Anyone have any pics of their iPad in it?

nealh
Apr 8, 2011, 10:39 AM
I'm intrigued by this case. Anyone have any pics of their iPad in it?

Getting one today

nealh
Apr 8, 2011, 07:18 PM
Go it today.
Quick comments.

Less bulk than the Targus Vuscape with several additional viewing positions. There are 2 positions for typing and 4 landscape modes. Can be held folded over like a book.

The inside that is against the screen is soft material like microfiber. Stitching is black and looks great.

This is really a 6 n 1 case. There are no magnets for auto on/off(that's the only missing thing and a very small one IMHO, as I think you can get thin magnet and fix it to the case.

The only true negative is the tab to close the case "clips" sort of tight and I guess this could wear the side "paint" over time. Who knows?

The case is light with a thin form factor, it's thinner than the Targus.

I think this case is fantastic and is one the best ones available if you like this style. Open and exposed look.

The more I typed the more detailed this became.

Ok, I will be back later after couple of days to add to this review.

nealh
Apr 8, 2011, 07:20 PM
Btw AYL shipped the next day my order USPS Priority. I ordered April 5 from Cal. Shipped on the 6th and got it today.

Service was great

They say it is carbon fiber but not sure what part. No bad smell and looks to be a faux leather

Built
Apr 8, 2011, 09:48 PM
Received mine the other day. Definitely no smell.

Despite the fact that some poster on another thread claims that this is a Yoobao, the fact remains that there is NO smell like the Yoobaos.

Highly recommended. A+++

nealh
Apr 9, 2011, 09:19 AM
I am going to show couple Targus pics and then this case with mutiple positions.

nealh
Apr 9, 2011, 09:21 AM
more pics

nealh
Apr 9, 2011, 09:23 AM
more pics with the 2 typing angles

nealh
Apr 9, 2011, 09:26 AM
show me a more verstaile case. all positions seem stable, obvious the most vertical landscape position could tip if you bump it hard.

I realize it is not an otterbox for protection but it has a slim form factor and looks nice. I have not used it alot yet since I have had for 1 day.

But in comparison to the Targus Vuscape and Elan Folio slim its a homerun!

slaphotk
Apr 9, 2011, 09:35 AM
Does the front cover fold over easily- so that you can hold like a book/magazine etc?

nealh
Apr 9, 2011, 09:48 AM
Does the front cover fold over easily- so that you can hold like a book/magazine etc?

that's the one pic I forgot. yes. works perfect like a book folded over.

glen e
Apr 9, 2011, 09:51 AM
nice, but nothing about that is carbon fiber or even a carbon fiber look...this is carbon fiber look from xgear (ipad1):
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/00474438.jpg

nealh
Apr 9, 2011, 09:54 AM
nice, but nothing about that is carbon fiber or even a carbon fiber look...this is carbon fiber look from xgear (ipad1):
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/00474438.jpg

Look I know the carbon fiber claim is AYL's not mine. for $40 shipped USPS priority I could find nothing comparable.

Does your case have all the viewing positions? I bought this figuring it was imitation leather by the looks.

glen e
Apr 9, 2011, 10:36 AM
Look I know the carbon fiber claim is AYL's not mine. for $40 shipped USPS priority I could find nothing comparable.

Does your case have all the viewing positions? I bought this figuring it was imitation leather by the looks.

I like your case....yes xgear has all positions but is for ipad 1
Just a comment for anyone that AYL is a bit off on their CF claim

nealh
Apr 9, 2011, 10:49 AM
I like your case....yes xgear has all positions but is for ipad 1
Just a comment for anyone that AYL is a bit off on their CF claim

Its a good point. I think it is the best case out there for viewing positions. Quality seems equal to the Targus. The stitching is black so it blends in and does not stand out like the targus

RobertK81
Apr 9, 2011, 12:33 PM
Loving the AYL case!

Is this case also sturdy on your lap, when using the viewing angles? Or is it just best used on a flat even surface? I always wonder and never see that in any reviews with this particular design.

nealh
Apr 9, 2011, 12:57 PM
Loving the AYL case!

Is this case also sturdy on your lap, when using the viewing angles? Or is it just best used on a flat even surface? I always wonder and never see that in any reviews with this particular design.

the only angle not stable in my lab with quick testing is the least steep groove.(4th pic in post #11). Grooves 2-4(progressivley steeper or more straight seem fine). both typing positions seem good.

If you were to do alot of moving it may not be as stable in some cases.

RobertK81
Apr 9, 2011, 01:57 PM
the only angle not stable in my lab with quick testing is the least steep groove.(4th pic in post #11). Grooves 2-4(progressivley steeper or more straight seem fine). both typing positions seem good.

If you were to do alot of moving it may not be as stable in some cases.

Thanks for the info. The lowest position is about 45 degress right? Thats the one i wanted to be stable ;-) I figure when im laying on the couch, that position is most comfortable for browsing/bit of gaming.

I know i can go for a case like the Zoogue which would be perfect. But i want a case that has minimal bezel coverage..

nealh
Apr 9, 2011, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the info. The lowest position is about 45 degress right? Thats the one i wanted to be stable ;-) I figure when im laying on the couch, that position is most comfortable for browsing/bit of gaming.

I know i can go for a case like the Zoogue which would be perfect. But i want a case that has minimal bezel coverage..

wait. if laying down on a couch is different than siting in my uneven lap. BTW if you remove it from that slot and let fall to the typing position is close.

ok for you I tried laying down on our couch that has a chaise lounge. the first groove was not stable but second seemed fine and a better position for viewing than the first groove.

It might not fit your needs sorry. Good Luck

RobertK81
Apr 9, 2011, 02:33 PM
wait. if laying down on a couch is different than siting in my uneven lap. BTW if you remove it from that slot and let fall to the typing position is close.

ok for you I tried laying down on our couch that has a chaise lounge. the first groove was not stable but second seemed fine and a better position for viewing than the first groove.

It might not fit your needs sorry. Good Luck

Thats what i mean exactly....im currently laying on couch with chaise lounge ;-) I really need a good angle, otherwise not so ergonomic for the neck.

The 2nd notch, that still good for typing and gaming? Or do i just need to search further for the perfect case...

I need suggestions for a case with minimal bezel coverage! I get my iPad 2 next week..

nealh
Apr 9, 2011, 03:49 PM
Thats what i mean exactly....im currently laying on couch with chaise lounge ;-) I really need a good angle, otherwise not so ergonomic for the neck.

The 2nd notch, that still good for typing and gaming? Or do i just need to search further for the perfect case...

I need suggestions for a case with minimal bezel coverage! I get my iPad 2 next week..

IMHO opinion, the typing postion would be the best, seems like a nice angle. I have to admit I never use the Ipad the way you want. even in our chaise lounge I guess I sit more upright and I think either typing position or 2nd notch would do well.

I wish I could let you see it first hand, to make sure.

RobertK81
Apr 9, 2011, 04:15 PM
IMHO opinion, the typing postion would be the best, seems like a nice angle. I have to admit I never use the Ipad the way you want. even in our chaise lounge I guess I sit more upright and I think either typing position or 2nd notch would do well.

I wish I could let you see it first hand, to make sure.

Your right, i do not sit that upright...centainly not over a period of time. I used my macbook so simulate an angle that would be comfortable. And this seems to be about 45 degrees.

You could show me first hand. Let a friend photograph/film you ;-)

nealh
Apr 9, 2011, 06:00 PM
Your right, i do not sit that upright...centainly not over a period of time. I used my macbook so simulate an angle that would be comfortable. And this seems to be about 45 degrees.

You could show me first hand. Let a friend photograph/film you ;-)

my wife would think I was nuts:D

espressodaily
Apr 15, 2011, 01:58 PM
Is there a way to fold the cover back when it's open to use the rear facing camera?

nealh
Apr 15, 2011, 03:36 PM
Is there a way to fold the cover back when it's open to use the rear facing camera?

I'm using it now this way and see no way to use the rear facing camera. Sorry

Fyi I placed a tiny thin magnet and auto on works great

cmoore49
Apr 22, 2011, 02:12 PM
Just got mine today and the smell is a little annoying.
I realize it's not leather but it has an almost chemical smell to it. Other than than the smell it's a pretty nice case. Still deciding on miniot or grove cases also.

cmoore49
Apr 22, 2011, 04:02 PM
Going back.
Smells too much