PDA

View Full Version : Something similar but CHEAPER!

lympero
Apr 2, 2011, 08:18 AM
I'm looking for a vertical shoulder bag for my iPad 2. I have only managed to find this one
http://www.killspencer.com/product.php?id_product=25
But it costs 150 $.
Anyone can recommend something cheaper?
Thanks.

gigaguy
Apr 2, 2011, 09:58 AM
I like that bag a lot! sleek, simple, but high quality and black. I just wish it had a zippered or closeable side pocket tho. all the secondary compartments seem open. I'm gonna write them and ask if they can make one with a zippered pocket. I like all their bags a lot! wow. Really great items here, and I watched their film, that was impressive too. THis is the style quality I love. Their ipad case looks like a bargain now, seeing their other prices. good luck.

nixiemaiden
Apr 2, 2011, 10:07 AM
http://www.amazon.com/CaseCrown-Vertical-Multi-Pocket-Messenger/dp/B003BLG2B6

aricher
Apr 12, 2011, 03:41 PM
I like that bag a lot! sleek, simple, but high quality and black. I just wish it had a zippered or closeable side pocket tho. all the secondary compartments seem open. I'm gonna write them and ask if they can make one with a zippered pocket. I like all their bags a lot! wow. Really great items here, and I watched their film, that was impressive too. THis is the style quality I love. Their ipad case looks like a bargain now, seeing their other prices. good luck.

I emailed Spencer at KillSpencer and he shot me an email back immediately saying he was in meetings and for me to call Kelly, the Director of Operations. I had a great conversation with Kelly and asked about whether or not they could sew a zipper on the pocket that shows the moleskin, she said absolutely. I told her I'd probably use that pocket with a notebook in it part of the time and the charger brick, usb cable and probably a wallet in it the rest of the time. She said they make customs all the time and that if I emailed her with a list of what I usually carry with my iPad they could probably adjust the case accordingly. She also said the leather, while more expensive, is a bit easier to clean as it easily wipes clean.

You can email the following with questions:

Spencer: spencer at killspencer.com
Kelly: Kelly at killspencer.com

Geckotek
Apr 12, 2011, 04:01 PM
There are tons of vertical shoulder bags for the iPad or that will work for the iPad. What about this one did you like so much? What are your top requirements?

aricher
Apr 12, 2011, 05:08 PM
There are tons of vertical shoulder bags for the iPad or that will work for the iPad. What about this one did you like so much? What are your top requirements?

I was on the fence between ordering a WaterField Muzetto and the Killspencer. The style of the Killspencer is what sealed it for me, the Muzetto looks too much like a purse or diaper bag to me. Not that I fear that, having a 2.5 year old I often haul around a diaper bag, but for my iPad bag I have a different set of criteria. Both are similar storage-wise but the Muzetto just seems bulkier in appearance.

Top requirements in no particular order:

1. Must be professional looking, no crazy colors, etc. as I am in client-facing meetings regularly. I prefer also clean lines and construction.
2. I personally prefer leather to ballistic nylon, canvas, etc.
2. Must have a removable shoulder strap.
2. Must have handles or a handle to carry it by when not using a shoulder strap. Muzetto does not have a handle, Killspencer has a side strap.
3. I prefer the bag to be as compact as possible. I have a Brenthaven briefcase-style bag that I use to tote around my 17" MBP, file folders, etc. It's a great professional bag but when running around town, to meetings, on planes, etc. I would prefer to travel as lightly as possible. I need a bag that carries my bare essentials.

I just emailed Spencer and Kelly with a list of what I usually carry with me and hope that they can add the zipper to the moleskin/document pocket, if not suggest a few other custom options. Here's my essentials list:

- iPad 2 in Portenzo moleskin-style case (10.125" x 8" x 0.8")
- My company uses custom-branded moleskin sketchbooks (7" x 10.25" x 0.5")
- iPad 2 charger brick (1.75" x 1.75" x 1) with usb cable - only carry if I know I'll be out for several hours or will be power-using the iPad.
- A pen, a pencil (both roughly 5.5-6" x .375") a small capacitive stylus (4.25" x 0.25") and occasionally a Nomad iPad brush (7.5" x 0.25")
- Business cards (2.5" x 3.5")
- Wallet (4.75" x 3.25" x 1.25")
- iPhone 4 (4.5" x 2.31" x 0.37")
- Small keyring with 3-4 keys

- On occasion I carry a small Canon point and shoot, usually a G12 (4.41" x 3.00" x 1.9") or an S95 (3.93" x 2.30" x 1.16")

Note: I don't have an issue with having my iPhone and wallet in my front pockets if storage in the bag is an issue.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Spencer's response is and will post it here when available.

Geckotek
Apr 12, 2011, 05:12 PM
Sorry, question was directed at the OP. It's apparent that you've made your decision. Just looking to provide the OP direction based on the bags I was reviewing today.

I'm w/ the OP meaning that the price is just higher than I'm willing to pay. To many nice options under $100 for me to consider $190 bag that only really works for my iPad. I might be willing to pay that for a full sized messenger...but not this.

gigaguy
Apr 12, 2011, 11:43 PM
I love the Killspencer bags and just won an iPad one on an ebay charity auction. Considering the darn Apple smart flap was $75, and the Yoobao was $40, I think it was a bargain at $100.
I just wonder if I'd prefer the leather version ($189). All his items are amazing looking to me. I read in an interview that he is considering a line for women.
ps - aricher, I assume you're wanting a bigger bag for those extras. I just wanted an iPad carrier mainly. with straps.
It;s taking awhile to get the item arranged, the charity said they are contacting Spencer who donated the item.

aricher
Apr 13, 2011, 05:21 PM
I love the Killspencer bags and just won an iPad one on an ebay charity auction. Considering the darn Apple smart flap was $75, and the Yoobao was $40, I think it was a bargain at $100.
I just wonder if I'd prefer the leather version ($189). All his items are amazing looking to me. I read in an interview that he is considering a line for women.
ps - aricher, I assume you're wanting a bigger bag for those extras. I just wanted an iPad carrier mainly. with straps.
It;s taking awhile to get the item arranged, the charity said they are contacting Spencer who donated the item.

I'm not getting a bigger bag, it will be the same size with just one pocket added. I've been emailing back & forth with spencer and his solution for my additional gear will be to sew a zipper pocket at the top of the bag above where their photos currently show the top of a moleskin notebook protruding. Not a bad deal, an additional $20 to add the new zippered pocket. It should give me enough room to securely store items, ala wallet, keys, iPad charger, etc. As far as the iPad pocket goes I've been told that it's roomy enough to place two naked iPad 2s in it so an iPad two in a bulkier case like the Portenzo should not be an issue.

Excellent responsive customer service from the folks at Killspencer FWIW!

LosFive3
Apr 15, 2011, 01:18 AM
I'm not getting a bigger bag, it will be the same size with just one pocket added. I've been emailing back & forth with spencer and his solution for my additional gear will be to sew a zipper pocket at the top of the bag above where their photos currently show the top of a moleskin notebook protruding. Not a bad deal, an additional $20 to add the new zippered pocket. It should give me enough room to securely store items, ala wallet, keys, iPad charger, etc. As far as the iPad pocket goes I've been told that it's roomy enough to place two naked iPad 2s in it so an iPad two in a bulkier case like the Portenzo should not be an issue.

Excellent responsive customer service from the folks at Killspencer FWIW!.

New user here I am a lurker lol, I was looking all over for a decent bag, and the Killspencer hit the spot, I really want your take on it once receive, I as well emailed customer service, I want to put keys, wallet, glasses, iPad charger, and sometimes my Bluray films in the bag, I'm hoping they will be able to do it. Please take pics of your bag Thanks

aricher
Apr 15, 2011, 03:15 PM

New user here I am a lurker lol, I was looking all over for a decent bag, and the Killspencer hit the spot, I really want your take on it once receive, I as well emailed customer service, I want to put keys, wallet, glasses, iPad charger, and sometimes my Bluray films in the bag, I'm hoping they will be able to do it. Please take pics of your bag Thanks

Welcome to MacRumors! I should have my Killspencer in a week or two and will post pics and a review when I receive it. It sounds like your needs were almost identical to what I was looking for so hopefully the additional zipper pocket will do the trick.

LosFive3
Apr 15, 2011, 04:06 PM
Welcome to MacRumors! I should have my Killspencer in a week or two and will post pics and a review when I receive it. It sounds like your needs were almost identical to what I was looking for so hopefully the additional zipper pocket will do the trick.

Thank you. I have a feeling the zipper will do the trick, I was looking at cheaper bags but they were just not doing it for me, once I heard Killspencer did a google search and boom the bag that I wanted/looking for it's a bit pricey but who cares lol, It goes with me I'll try to be on this forum in the next two weeks, before I place my order so I can see your review on it.

toddwalden
Apr 27, 2011, 04:01 PM
To you guys who already have the KS iPad 2 case:

Do you think a bluetooth mac keyboard would fit well in the large side pocket? Is it deep enough?

gigaguy
Apr 27, 2011, 04:18 PM
Still waiting on mine, I won in a charity auction - slow! 3 weeks now.

biosci
Sep 4, 2011, 11:48 PM

Any update to this or pics? Love to see what it came out to look like!

gigaguy
Sep 5, 2011, 12:38 AM
I got mine a while back, the leather was very soft and nice, build was good, I liked most of the design and materials a lot.
but the zipper was installed wrong so that it hung on the binding, KS fixed it quickly.
I decided for the cost (I paid about $110 at a charity auction for the leather one) I'd rather have something else. I did not want to put my iPhone in an open pocket, all 3 ext pockets are unsecured.
sold it.

biosci
Sep 5, 2011, 01:00 PM
So I guess those unsecured pockets probably get pretty loose after some time too? From pics, it doesn't look like the whole phone would fit in there and could easily pop out. If only those had some sort of snap tab or something to hold the phone in...

gigaguy
Sep 5, 2011, 02:04 PM
Don't know about over time, but the phone seemed pretty exposed, anyone could grab it or it could slip out unnoticed. I use the $25 SGP? iPad Jacket case that is more functional for my needs.
Plus I was afraid the KS leather would get scratched up and look ugly, it was pretty soft but felt and looked really nice.

recharge23
Mar 12, 2012, 05:25 PM

hi, do you have an update with this custom bag? or pictures? would love to know how it's working out for you as i'm considering doing the same thing for my new ipad.

thanks in advance!

jack1123
Mar 12, 2012, 06:06 PM
Wow, just wow! The killspencer bag is awesome.

I shouldn't really drop that much on a bag I don't need. I too wouldn't be interested in a similar, but cheaper, leather bag