Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ani23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Not sure if this has been discussed so just wanted to put it out there.

When i got my ipad one of my colleagues told me to be careful while using the magnetic cover as it snaps of if you try and use it as a kind of pivot while holding it or moving it.

I was like yeah of course i know that. come this morning i had the ipad on my nightstand and tried to pick it up and inadeverently used the base as if it was firmly connected. the ipad flew out and luckily landed on my bed so no damage done.

however just keep in mind. although we all know it's not to be used for picking up, i think our minds are conditioned to work in a certain way and since the cover fits so flush you might also run into a similar problem so be extra careful.

just wanted to get the word out.

Please note that this is in no way a rant against the cover. i think its great and i love it.

It more or less reminds me of how electric cars need noise generating speakers cos they are so silent and people might not notice em.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

When i got my ipad one of my colleagues told me to be careful while using the magnetic cover as it snaps of if you try and use it as a kind of pivot while holding it or moving it.

I was like yeah of course i know that. come this morning i had the ipad on my nightstand and tried to pick it up and inadeverently used the base as if it was firmly connected. the ipad flew out and luckily landed on my bed so no damage done.

however just keep in mind. although we all know it's not to be used for picking up, i think our minds are conditioned to work in a certain way and since the cover fits so flush you might also run into a similar problem so be extra careful.

Please note that this is in no way a rant against the cover. i think its great and i love it.

It more or less reminds me of how electric cars need noise generating speakers cos they are so silent and people might not notice em.
Wow, thanks for the heads up. Good to know. I owe you one.

mcarthon

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Well it seems your friend already told you to be careful and you didn't listen. I never pick it up by the cover. Even if it were there permanently connected, I wouldn't pick it up by the cover. But thanks anyways.

ani23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Well it seems your friend already told you to be careful and you didn't listen. I never pick it up by the cover. Even if it were there permanently connected, I wouldn't pick it up by the cover. But thanks anyways.

actually i didn't pick it up by the cover thats why i wrote this. the ipad was stood up with the cover folded. i picked up the base and had the triangle and front of the screen in my hand which I think many people will do. while in the process of moving the pressure on the screen reduced and it just flew off.

yeah it was stupid but i think many people might be picking up or holding the ipad like this and might inadvertently cause this to happen. would be such a shame to crack such a beautiful device.

aibo82

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
I havr found out also if you roll it up reverse so the microfiber is inside to use it as a desk stand the ipad disconnects at the hinge! Then slides forward hurtling off our sideboard nearly onto the floor!!!!

Tip: dont roll the smart cover in reverse to use as a desk stand!

MadDragon1846

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
I havr found out also if you roll it up reverse so the microfiber is inside to use it as a desk stand the ipad disconnects at the hinge! Then slides forward hurtling off our sideboard nearly onto the floor!!!!

Tip: dont roll the smart cover in reverse to use as a desk stand!

Lol! This is what happened to me. :D

Luckily I managed to catch it before it hit the floor. :eek:

I find though that rolling it up in reverse is fine for when you want to use it for typing. I don't think i'll be risking using it as a desk stand again like that though. :D

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
i've been rolling the smart cover with microfiber on the inside since i got the ipad and haven't had any problems

dmaul1114

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
I never pick up anything with the cover.

Regarding rolling it up, it's more stable with the microfiber side facing out as the magnets stick together more strongly.

But doing it the other way isn't likely to cause problems, it just collapses and goes flat more easily.

RKpro

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
Also, don't stick it to your fridge.
r342x.jpg

ani23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
I never pick up anything with the cover.

Just to clarify again. This isn't about picking up by the cover. It's picking up when the cover is in folded up in a triangle and parts of your hand put pressure on the cover and tends to make us think it's a secure grip but the cover can just slide off and the iPad just flys out.

Hope no one has to experience this first hand :)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Just to clarify again. This isn't about picking up by the cover. It's picking up when the cover is in folded up in a triangle and parts of your hand put pressure on the cover and tends to make us think it's a secure grip but the cover can just slide off and the iPad just flys out.

Maybe I'm missing something, but that just sounds like a variant way of picking the iPad up by the cover. Part of your hand may be on the iPad, but most of your grip is on the cover, right?

ani23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Maybe I'm missing something, but that just sounds like a variant way of picking the iPad up by the cover. Part of your hand may be on the iPad, but most of your grip is on the cover, right?

No. That's why I want to warn people because it's so subtle. Imagine you are watching a movie with the iPad cover in a triangle and sitting on table at the higher angle around 80 degrees or something. Once done if you pick it up at the right bottom corner and try to move it let's say in front of you depending on how you picked it, how fast you move it if the pressure is too much it can slide straight out of your hand. The thing is it will happen because you have gotten used to the firm grip of the cover and subconsciously use it like a pivot.

Again maybe it was just me being stupid but I really think this is something that might happen quite often. You really can't appreciate it till it happens to you. And I hope it doesn't for anyone. :)

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
My biggest gripe about the smart cover is this:

When on the go, I tuck the ipad under my arm. With the first generation and the Apple case, this worked really well. With the smart cover, I've caught it quietly disconnecting and the iPad 2 starts slipping downwards toward oblivion.

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis

This is why knowledge of english grammar must be a requirement to post on these forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
No. That's why I want to warn people because it's so subtle. Imagine you are watching a movie with the iPad cover in a triangle and sitting on table at the higher angle around 80 degrees or something. Once done if you pick it up at the right bottom corner and try to move it let's say in front of you depending on how you picked it, how fast you move it if the pressure is too much it can slide straight out of your hand. The thing is it will happen because you have gotten used to the firm grip of the cover and subconsciously use it like a pivot.

Again maybe it was just me being stupid but I really think this is something that might happen quite often. You really can't appreciate it till it happens to you. And I hope it doesn't for anyone. :)

No, I've had this happen to me, I know what you are talking about, but I still think this phenomena fits under the category of "Do not pick iPad up by the cover." Or maybe it's more, "Do not depend on the magnet holding when moving the iPad and the smart cover together." In any case, one of the first things I discovered was never to use the smart cover as a pivot. Any force at an angle snaps the cover right off.

dmaul1114

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
No, I've had this happen to me, I know what you are talking about, but I still think this phenomena fits under the category of "Do not pick iPad up by the cover." Or maybe it's more, "Do not depend on the magnet holding when moving the iPad and the smart cover together." In any case, one of the first things I discovered was never to use the smart cover as a pivot. Any force at an angle snaps the cover right off.

Yeah, however you want to phrase it, just make sure you always have a solid grip on the iPad as the smartcover can slide around or detach.

Just be careful and make sure you've got a solid grip and you'll be fine. If you're a klutzy type, or have kids using it etc., then you probably need a full case that won't slide off and provides drop protection etc.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia

Hard to notice something if you're not even paying attention and looking in the first place... that kind of thinking is what makes the roads so dangerous for motorcyclists. Let's not even go there...

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
My arms gave me a false sense of security. I thought it if I flapped them fast enough I could fly. Oh well.

I never pick it up by the cover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.