PDA

View Full Version : Hdmi to VGA cable for presentations

dread
Apr 2, 2011, 10:00 AM
I would like to use my iPad 2 to give my lectures but most campuses; including mine, do not have hdmi inputs yet on their equipment. I looked on amazon and all the hdmi:vga cables get horrible reviews, but the majority of those reviews are using the cable to try to convert the VGA of a laptop to hdmi. Has anyone successfully done the reverse with the iPad 2 in combination with Apple's hdmi adapter? I want to be able to mirror my screen on the projector.

Rigby
Apr 2, 2011, 11:01 AM
Why not simply use the Apple VGA connector instead of the HDMI one? I used it last week to do a presentation with Quickoffice and it worked well.

dread
Apr 2, 2011, 11:33 AM
Does that mirror the screen? I would rather only buy one connector since the adapters are much cheaper.

glen e
Apr 2, 2011, 11:37 AM
Does that mirror the screen? I would rather only buy one connector since the adapters are much cheaper.

Vga adaptor mirrors fine...Using it right now on a projector

dread
Apr 2, 2011, 11:41 AM
I remember that it would not mirror the screen on the iPad 1. Has this changed with the iPad 2 so that even the home screen is visible with the adapter.

dread
Apr 2, 2011, 11:45 AM
Never mind found this
http://m.youtube.com/?rdm=4m35vl23l#/watch?desktop_uri=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00D0S44eVW8&v=00D0S44eVW8&gl=US

I would still rather have the hdmi as well without buying both and just using an adapter if possible, but for $29 I might just get the apple vga adapter

Jamie37211
Apr 2, 2011, 11:46 AM
I remember that it would not mirror the screen on the iPad 1. Has this changed with the iPad 2 so that even the home screen is visible with the adapter.

Yes, it does. Used my iPad 2 and a projector connected with the vga adapter and everything mirrored, including home screen. A very successful demo at work using this setup.

dread
Apr 2, 2011, 11:54 AM
Do either of you have any experience with using PowerPoint files in keynote? All of my lectures are PowerPoint but I have avoided animations so they are just straight up slides. Any idea how keynote would handle these?

surfbo740
Apr 2, 2011, 12:34 PM
But HDMI is a digital output and VGA is analog, thus any converter for HDMI to VGA needs a converter box with external power etc. All the ones I've seen are $100 and up. I think the only real option if there isn't any HDMI input into the projector is the VGA adapter apple or some third party sells that plugs directly into the iPad dock port.

glen e
Apr 2, 2011, 12:34 PM
Do either of you have any experience with using PowerPoint files in keynote? All of my lectures are PowerPoint but I have avoided animations so they are just straight up slides. Any idea how keynote would handle these?

all my presentations started as power point - imports with little problem

dread
Apr 2, 2011, 02:49 PM
all my presentations started as power point - imports with little problem

What problems did you have? I'm trying to decide between quick office and keynote

dread
Apr 2, 2011, 02:50 PM
But HDMI is a digital output and VGA is analog, thus any converter for HDMI to VGA needs a converter box with external power etc. All the ones I've seen are $100 and up. I think the only real option if there isn't any HDMI input into the projector is the VGA adapter apple or some third party sells that plugs directly into the iPad dock port.

I think your right. I will just get the VGA adapter. I already told my wife it's what I want for my bday

glen e
Apr 2, 2011, 03:17 PM
What problems did you have? I'm trying to decide between quick office and keynote

like anything else - some fonts don't transfer, etc - keynote has a preview feature I really like - shows slide coming up along with current slide....I just made 18 presentations - 80 slides per- using keynote and projector - worked perfect - like everything else, keynote is apple intuitive - looking for a BT remote thru the iphone for keynote ipad or let the BT keyboard do it..

Rigby
Apr 2, 2011, 03:22 PM
What problems did you have? I'm trying to decide between quick office and keynoteI had few problems with QO so far. But from my experience none of the available iPad solutions does a perfect job importing Powerpoint presentations. Unless your slides are extremely basic, be prepared for some odd rendering mistakes here and there. For example, in my recent presentation some figures were scaled incorrectly and bullet characters were wrong (probably due to a missing font). Fortunately the latest version of QO has basic editing functionality for presentations, so I was able to fix these things.

Jamie37211
Apr 2, 2011, 05:21 PM

I have yet to do any keynote presentations. All of the times I have used the iPad with a projector via vga have been for software demos, so I use RDP and remote connect to my work pc, and project it. Works beautifully.

I plan to do some slideshow presentations in the near future, and will most likely compose and present using keynote.

glen e
Apr 2, 2011, 05:26 PM
I have yet to do any keynote presentations. All of the times I have used the iPad with a projector via vga have been for software demos, so I use RDP and remote connect to my work pc, and project it. Works beautifully.

I plan to do some slideshow presentations in the near future, and will most likely compose and present using keynote.

the comment I like most when using a projector and ipad is it makes the projector look huge and outdated- LOL

dread
Apr 2, 2011, 08:24 PM
That's funny. I think I may just convert my presentations to PDF's and use good reader

weenie
Apr 2, 2011, 08:45 PM
I do presentations extensively and have recently being using iPad with VGA adapter for all of them.

After a lot of searching, I am now using 2Screens app to present, and using the 2ScreenRemote app to control the presentation with my iPhone4 while walking around.

The slides are in PDF, but I could open multiple files at once and jump between them (i.e. reference) as well as playing full-screen videos. There is a file management system in 2Screen app to organize the presentations, and the developer is very responsive.

There is also built-in "laser" pointer, but I also use external pointer.

This eliminates the past issue with importing power-point or keynote files properly. To make "animation", I just make multiple copies of the slide and change them slightly.

glen e
Apr 2, 2011, 09:39 PM
I do presentations extensively and have recently being using iPad with VGA adapter for all of them.

After a lot of searching, I am now using 2Screens app to present, and using the 2ScreenRemote app to control the presentation with my iPhone4 while walking around.

The slides are in PDF, but I could open multiple files at once and jump between them (i.e. reference) as well as playing full-screen videos. There is a file management system in 2Screen app to organize the presentations, and the developer is very responsive.

This eliminates the past issue with importing power-point or keynote files properly. To make "animation", I just make multiple copies of the slide and change them slightly.

I will try this...thanks - my presentations are slightly diff depending on the client and don't know which slides I want to present unitl 10 min before showtime. I like Keynote's skip/don't skip slide feature and use it often.

dread
Apr 2, 2011, 11:11 PM

That looks like a great app. I may go with that. Have you tried it with PowerPoint files yet.

glen e
Apr 2, 2011, 11:17 PM
I have been playing around with 2 screens for the last few hours - I will use it when the presentation will not change - my fear is confirmed - it is a reader - meaning you lose slide creation and modification when in the program. But works well for showing once you get the pres like you want it. I imported all 3 - pdf, keynote and powerpoint files...works fine with all...abnd the phone as a remote is killer...works very well.

but you lose animation/builds/fades/fly ins,etc completely....and I don't want to always build multiple slides

dread
Apr 3, 2011, 08:06 AM
I have been playing around with 2 screens for the last few hours - I will use it when the presentation will not change - my fear is confirmed - it is a reader - meaning you lose slide creation and modification when in the program. But works well for showing once you get the pres like you want it. I imported all 3 - pdf, keynote and powerpoint files...works fine with all...abnd the phone as a remote is killer...works very well.

but you lose animation/builds/fades/fly ins,etc completely....and I don't want to always build multiple slides

Nice. I'm going with two screens and may get keynote latter as I will just stick to creating on a pc for now. I have slowly been eliminating aniimations from my lectures anyway. I don't mind having multiples of the same slide.

glen e
Apr 3, 2011, 08:19 AM
Nice. I'm going with two screens and may get keynote latter as I will just stick to creating on a pc for now. I have slowly been eliminating aniimations from my lectures anyway. I don't mind having multiples of the same slide.

tell me what you think once you get it done. Any change you need to make needs to be done on your pc and then reloaded in the reader - I'm gonna try to make it work for a few of my presentations as I love the iphone remote feature....also lots of info (e.g bullet points) on one slide sometimes does not make it on the slide, where it shows on keynote shows fine - keep it tight up top...

also the ipad2 plays keynote so much quicker due to increased processing power - and I love the slide preview in screen...keynote needs to let me trigger slides by iphone or my BT keyboard....

I would suggest you use them both...I think I will..

weenie
Apr 3, 2011, 10:49 AM
Have you tried it with PowerPoint files yet.

I have stopped messing with using PPT files on iPad a long while back, and have used GoodReader as my presentation app before 2Screens. I have a lot of graphics from various sources, and import from PPT was never flawless.

When I have done building my presentation in PPT, I saved the original copy and then Save-As while selecting .pdf file type. Then a simple WiFi transfer to 2Screens.

I use minimal animation, more like controling apperance of text paragraphs to keep audience from reading ahead. IMHO, flying text /etc just too distracting for my type of audience. Thus, I don't mind losing the animation with .pdf and just make multiple slide copies.

What 2Screen has over GoodReader as a presentor app are:

- slides preview and allow slide jumping, if needed
- "pseudo laser"
- multiple presentations open at once, and allow jump between them
- easy to draw on slides
- ability to take notes while presenting
- connect with iPhone for control

I have asked the developer for the iPhone version, and the reply was he has one but not happy with the resolution. But when the HDMI cable comes out, he will release if quality improves -- then I will always have my presentations with me.

There is an iPhone presentor app called "PDF Presenter for iPhone 4" if someone wants to try and gives feed-back.

Rigby
Apr 3, 2011, 12:53 PM
What 2Screen has over GoodReader as a presentor app are:
[...]
Thanks, I may give 2Screens a try too. Some of the reviews mention crashes, did you experience any?

Main problem for me is that I like to polish my slides on the plane when traveling to meetings, so I'd prefer to use an editable format ...

dread
Apr 3, 2011, 03:20 PM
tell me what you think once you get it done. Any change you need to make needs to be done on your pc and then reloaded in the reader - I'm gonna try to make it work for a few of my presentations as I love the iphone remote feature....also lots of info (e.g bullet points) on one slide sometimes does not make it on the slide, where it shows on keynote shows fine - keep it tight up top...

also the ipad2 plays keynote so much quicker due to increased processing power - and I love the slide preview in screen...keynote needs to let me trigger slides by iphone or my BT keyboard....

I would suggest you use them both...I think I will..

I thought Keynote has a remote app as well?

glen e
Apr 3, 2011, 03:38 PM
I thought Keynote has a remote app as well?
Not for ipad.....only for mac

This is not really a big decision...get em all for $25.00 - Keynote, 2 screens and 2 screens remote. I can see use for all of them on my next road trip.

dread
Apr 4, 2011, 12:35 PM
Just bought the 2screens and remotes apps and have a question. Is there a way to disable slide show. I want to move the slides at my own pace not a set interval and I can't seem to figure it out.

weenie
Apr 4, 2011, 12:56 PM
Just bought the 2screens and remotes apps and have a question. Is there a way to disable slide show. I want to move the slides at my own pace not a set interval and I can't seem to figure it out.

Yes, settings / slide show to off.

dread
Apr 4, 2011, 12:59 PM
Yes, settings / slide show to off.

I do not have an option to turn it off in my settings menu. Is anyone using this with an ipad 2? The slide show only has options for 2-30 second increments.

dread
Apr 4, 2011, 01:04 PM
Do these menus look different than yours?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/dreadedhero/2727c855.png
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/dreadedhero/96284b6e.png

weenie
Apr 4, 2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks, I may give 2Screens a try too. Some of the reviews mention crashes, did you experience any?

Main problem for me is that I like to polish my slides on the plane when traveling to meetings, so I'd prefer to use an editable format ...

Out of 10 long presentations, I had 1 crash.

And reading the reviews, I found the fix since. Too many apps "opened". So before each presentation, I made sure to close all apps - or best is to reset the iPad (i.e. 30-sec procedure).

No crash since then...

I prepare the slides before the trip, then transfer to iPad (via WiFi) prior to traveling. But if needed, I could edit and re-transfer anytime since a) WiFi is available most everywhere, and a) I have an Airport Express with me all the time since I use it to create local WiFi in hotel room to have multiple access points for all my devices (laptop, iPad, iPhone).

glen e
Apr 4, 2011, 01:10 PM
no...same

weenie
Apr 4, 2011, 01:29 PM
Do these menus look different than yours?

Toggle (single tap) the double arrow icon (between slides and PN icons) to turn on/off the auto-slide feature.

There should appear a note indicating if it is on/off after each toggle.

dread
Apr 4, 2011, 01:32 PM
Toggle (single tap) the double arrow icon (between slides and PN icons) to turn on/off the auto-slide feature.

There should appear a note indicating if it is on/off after each toggle.

Im not sure I understand. Every time I tap the double arrow in goes into the second menu for seconds. It does not toggle the slide show on and off.

weenie
Apr 4, 2011, 01:41 PM
Im not sure I understand. Every time I tap the double arrow in goes into the second menu for seconds. It does not toggle the slide show on and off.

Each time you toggle the double-arrow icon (bottom left), it should pop up a dialogue box in the middle of the screen saying either:

- started a slide show
- the slide show is stopped

The double arrow icon should be the second from the left to right, in between the film/slides icon and the "PN" icon (all on bottom).

dread
Apr 4, 2011, 01:42 PM
Are any of you using it with an iPad 2? I just tried reinstalling it and have the same issue. There is no toggle for the slide show.

dread
Apr 4, 2011, 01:49 PM
Each time you toggle the double-arrow icon (bottom left), it should pop up a dialogue box in the middle of the screen saying either:

- started a slide show
- the slide show is stopped

The double arrow icon should be the second from the left to right, in between the film/slides icon and the "PN" icon (all on bottom).

Ok I see what I was doing. I kept hitting the slide show button to advance the slides in remote. Thanks for the help. Its working now.

I wish all the menu bars could be removed from the ipad screen so I could use it to give one on one presentations.

dread
Apr 4, 2011, 02:00 PM
I figured out how to remove the tool bars. This app is officially very good now. PDF's are a must since it does screw up formatting with powerpoints. The remote is wonderful.

Any idea how much battery this will burn on the iphone and ipad during an hour of use.

weenie
Apr 4, 2011, 07:49 PM
Any idea how much battery this will burn on the iphone and ipad during an hour of use.

I just did an 1-hour presentation yesterday with iPad + iPhone combo, and the iPad was down from 100% to ~90%, iPhone was down from 100% to ~80%.

I only use the iPhone when walking about, and use the iPad to advance the slides (tapping anywhere on bottom portion of the main screen).

I also use folders extensively to group the presentations into relevant catergories for easy access during presentation - when someone asks about a tangent topic. For example, I have a folder named "Reference" to keep a couple of presentations on various references, a folder for "Video" (need to be convert to mp4 - very easy process for free), etc.

Before the actual presentation, as mentioned, I reset the iPad to clear all memory, opened all potential referencing presentation, opened the main presentation, point the folder to the first video source. I am set to go...

5 minutes before the presentation, I BT connect the iPhone to the iPad for control (if I was to walk around). It is a simple process, but will take 1-2 mins to complete so give yourself time for that.

If the video doesn't appear on the projector (very rare to happen), 99% of the time, a simple disconnect of the video cable and connect back (i.e. 2-sec procedure) will fix it.

I also use an external laser pointer since it is quicker and easier than controlling via the iPad / iPhone screen.

That's all the tips I have for using the app, I just think both apps are wonderful for people who do a lot of presentations...

Good luck!

dread
Apr 4, 2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks again for the help. I'm getting used to the app. I don't like that it can be difficult to get a Bluetooth connection to reconnect once the connection is lost. A few times I had to manually close the apps in the multitasking bar before being able to reestablish the connection. Otherwise,it seems to work pretty well and the Bluetooth stays connected as long as the iPad screen stays on. As soon as I get the vga connector I'm going to try this in my class. At least I will have some time to practice

weenie
Jun 8, 2011, 05:31 AM
I am reviving this thread to inform those interested that the 2Screens app for iPhone-4 (and iTouch) is now available.

I bought it 2 days ago, and have been testing it before my business trip next week. It is working very well...

It is great that if something happens to my iPad (broken, lost, forgotten - knock on wood!), I will still be able to conduct a presentation with just the iPhone-4 during the trip.

glen e
Jun 8, 2011, 07:02 AM
I am reviving this thread to inform those interested that the 2Screens app for iPhone-4 (and iTouch) is now available.

I bought it 2 days ago, and have been testing it before my business trip next week. It is working very well...

It is great that if something happens to my iPad (broken, lost, forgotten - knock on wood!), I will still be able to conduct a presentation with just the iPhone-4 during the trip.

keynote now avail for iphone as well - and allows the in app editing that 2 screens does not - also adds iphone as a remote for keynote on ipad...