Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the shift in form factor for the iPod nano at its latest update, a number of users were disappointed to see the camera that had been added in the fifth-generation model disappear. But if a new report from Taiwanese site Apple.pro [Google translation] is correct, the seventh-generation iPod nano presumably set for introduction later this year may retain its current smaller form factor but still add a rear-facing camera once again.

According to the report, a source in California sent the below photo claimed to be the rear case for the next-generation iPod nano, displaying what appears to be a camera hole in an upper corner.

162628-ipod_nano_7gen_case.jpg

The report raises some question as to whether the photo could be an April Fools' joke, although the photo does at least appear genuine and is consistent with the casing of the sixth-generation model with the exception of the new camera hole. Based on the position of the hole, the camera would appear to take up space currently occupied by a portion of the iPod nano's battery, so it is unclear whether the device would be able to use a smaller battery or if components could be shifted around enough to accommodate the camera while maintaining the same size for the battery.

Unaddressed is how the clip on the next-generation iPod nano would accommodate the rear-facing camera, as the clip is currently covers the entire back of the device and would of course obscure the camera. Based on the screws visible on the inside back of the case, however, it seems that Apple have simply narrowed the clip and perhaps shifted it down slightly from center in order to accommodate the camera.

Finally, the report claims that the iPhone 5 will come in both black and white versions similar to the iPad 2. The iPhone 4 of course was introduced in both black and white models, but the white model has yet to begin shipping after several delays reportedly due to issues with light bleeding through the painted glass and affecting camera performance.

Apple.pro has occasionally offered accurate information in the past, perhaps most notably with the posting of photos of a small touchscreen that appeared in the sixth-generation iPod nano a few months later.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPod Nano to Add Rear-Facing Camera?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I'm hoping that's an iPhone 5. I need my iPhone 5, no matter what it is!!!!! >:|
I'm kidding (Obviously)

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
The idea of a camera on such a small device is pretty ridiculous, I doubt this is real.

That being said it wouldn't be the first time apple has done something ridiculous with one of their iPods (3rd gen shuffle?).

Also the clip issue could be addressed by making a lens hole in the clip as well.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
I suppose the addition of a camera would be a welcome change for many people. It's sad because it seems as though we've reached a point where not much more can be added to Apple's iPod lineup except for additional cameras.

v66jack

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
London, UK
What are the chances that Apple will put a camera in the front aswell. FaceTime from the Nano.

You can FaceTime on a run, in the gym, secretly under the desk in school.

This changes everything. Again.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Taking a picture with the nano in that form factor would be kind of strange... Though I don't blame apple for adding a camera to almost every idevice out there. It's one way to make people upgrade constantly.

Islandz

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010
Do NOT like.

It really needs a front-facing camera a lot more, especially if this model is packing bluetooth and wi-fi connectivity as many hope.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
A camera would be cool, the Nano could almost be a spy-device. However, I would really like Apple to change the design of the current Nano to look more iPad-like and less iPod Mini-like. By that, I mean that the square screen looks bad (in my opinion) with a curved housing cut on both ends. I think a housing with 4 rounded corners would look much better. Also, the Nano's screen is extremely small, I don't get why they didn't make it slightly bigger. They could also make the bezel smaller to do that.

Of course this all depends on costs and whether it is feasible technically, but I feel that the current Nano is much less polished than the previous ones. It's more like a Shuffle with a screen, it lacks many features that its predecessors had, and navigation is a bit more clumsy with no dedicated playback buttons.

Do NOT like.

It really needs a front-facing camera a lot more, especially if this model is packing bluetooth and wi-fi connectivity as many hope.

It can't have WiFi as you would be unable to load login pages and you wouldn't be able to type in passwords.

Jul 29, 2008
It's sad because it seems as though we've reached a point where not much more can be added to Apple's iPod lineup except for additional cameras.

What Apple needs to do is better-define the devices. The Nano, for example, is definitely the wearable-iPod. So you max that out. Make it a fashion statement, stuff like that. The Classic is the big-capacity-no-nonsense-iPod. So you put the biggest honkin' hard drive in it you can, and make sure it can be easily used as, say, a startup drive for a Mac. Make it a real workhorse, maybe even make it capable of running some Mac apps (no, I don't know how offhand). It needs a camera, too. The iPod touch, well, that's already pretty well defined. It's an iPhone without a telecom contract. That one's fine, it's defined and people know the choice they're making when buying it (or not).

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B118 Safari/6531.22.7)

Camera on that small device? :p Maybe it'll be less than 0.7MP too.

HMFIC03

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2011
Tokyo
Dick Tracy Watch?

What's the point - when all phones have cameras just about anymore. This will drive up production costs.

However if it has front facing camera - that would be awesome, of course it would need audio in capability too. Think about talking on your wrist!

The green is not the same color on the 6th gen.

blondepianist

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
USA
What are the chances that Apple will put a camera in the front aswell. FaceTime from the Nano.

I'd say not likely, but it would be awesome! iPod nano + FaceTime + watch case = video phone watch! :p

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B118 Safari/6531.22.7)

gkarris said:

and GPS
and Digital Compass
and Gyroscope
and 4G
and....

;)

Even iPod touches don't have GPS and digital compass, I'm jealous :p

HMFIC03

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2011
Tokyo
GPS would be more usefull

GPS would be cooler - "find my nano" feature through mobile me. Plus a the "map my run" app would be nice.

At this point I just want by iPad 2 to ship - ordered it on day 1 - still have not received it.

lavarae

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
I just don't see it.
Weird form factor to stick a camera on. Photo Booth style stills?
But why? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.