PDA

View Full Version : MWNY: It\'s Going To Be Big...Real Big

MacRumors
Jul 9, 2001, 11:19 AM
rfitz (mailto:rfitz@mac.com) writes "MWNY, its going to be big, real big. New iMacs, and upgraded G4's.

iMac: Will be LCD all around. Will have a G4 in all models. Will have combo-drive in all models. Limited Ed. model may be introduced. This all depends on last minute part supplies and some other conditions. For more info read the posts I(rfitz) have in the MacNN forums. ( see forums (http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=003127) )

PowerMac: The PowerMac will also see an update at MWNY. Enclosure and internals. First the internals. The G4 will get the new UMA-2 motherboard chipset, which will feature DDR ram. A huge increase in performance. Also the G4 is going to see speeds up to 1GHz. The lowest clock speed will be 733MHz. Immediatly available after the keynote will be speeds from 733Mhz to 9??MHz. The 1GHz will be delayed until September. Also you should see dual and possibly quad processor models of the PowerMac in the 733Mhz range if chip supplies remain good.
As far as the enclosure goes, Apple will give the PowerMac some cosmetic changes, nothing major until atleast MYSF. The case about the monitors having to be changed if the PM is changed isnt true. Apple made the new monitors clear for a reason. That is so they dont have to change the enclosure on the monitors every time they want to update the PM enclosure.
Again you can read what I posted in the MacNN forums for more info, as well as other readers rebuttles against my info."

We can all certainly hope. This user claims to have a contact inside Apple, but as always, salt to taste!

blakespot
Jul 9, 2001, 11:25 AM
I wonder if they will broadcast the keynote in the local Apple Stores' theatre section, with new models on-hand to unveil in the store? I wonder if they'd actually have stock on certain new machines? Might be worth taking a day off work...

blakespot

arn
Jul 9, 2001, 11:38 AM
I myself am waiting for Apple to get serious about dual processor machines...

I guess the problem is how they fit into the mix. It's hard for users to resolve the 533 dual vs 733 single sorts of issues.

They could go dual all out... the question is how much does each PPC cost? In the early days, it was said the PPC's would be cheaper to produce than the Intel chips.... unfortunately, I don't believe that is still the case. At least AMD's chips at their fastest seem to run in the mid $100's per chip.

We all how how to "joe" customer, Mhz is a huge selling factor... and it certainly is... but has anyone ever looked into what dual and quad processors look like in the minds of "joe"? My bet is a Dual 533 looks like a 1Ghz machine to them.... Sure, it's not true... but nothing is in the whole markenting game...

arn

menoinjun
Jul 9, 2001, 11:39 AM
No way will there be a G4 in all of the iMac models. The most I can see is one higher-end model having one. It just doesn't make sense considering that
the iMac is not their professional line of computers. All over the Learn and Earn website they stress that the iMac is for educators and home use, NOT for creative professionals. Unless Apple is ready to change that strategy, we won't be seeing any G4s in iMacs. Definetly combo drives though. PC-133 ram?

I know that motorola has been making more G4 chips than originally estimated, but no way do they have enough stock to produce a Quad processor machine. It just doesn't seem pheasable. Duals, yes. Apple almost has to with their commitment to OS X and SMP. I can see a quad server maybe, but not now. DDR has to be introduced in order for Apple to not fall too far behind the Wintel machines, and combo drives are a must also. I expect ATA-100 harddrives starting at 40gigs. (7200rpm) Who knows about a case change, but they are old and could use a freshing up.

-Pete

GPTurismo
Jul 9, 2001, 02:34 PM
Thats why iMacs would have 7400's/7410's in them. The powermacs will have all 7450's.

blakespot
Jul 9, 2001, 03:12 PM
According to MacNN there will be no live broadcast of the keynote at MWNY. !! I wonder what this tells us--far less harwdare offered than rumored?? Why would they not do this?? Apparently the event will be viewable on QTV, but not live, only as a recording, afterwards.

Quite unfortunate.

blakespot

Mariner77
Jul 9, 2001, 03:17 PM
Being in the education market doesn't mean the computer needn't be powerful. A lot of students now days run computation intensive programs like Mathematica and IDL (mind you both will be Mac OS X native before Photoshop does). G4 will be critical to the success of these powerful applications. Plus students like to play games, thus fast(and cheap) graphics and CPU never hurt.

macboy
Jul 9, 2001, 03:22 PM
No live broadcast because of Apple had problems last time. Remember the screen kept going black....

aaaa
Jul 9, 2001, 05:10 PM
maccentral says LIVE broadcast

macboy
Jul 9, 2001, 07:28 PM
Disregard my last message.... There will be a keynote announced a few hours ago from Apple. Many people phoned and complained and they set it straight! I called to ask!

Think Again
Jul 9, 2001, 07:29 PM
If they went to an all G4 line-up, perhaps the iMac would be the single-processor line and the PowerMac (possibly with an updated enclosure) could be 2x and possibly 4x setups. I love my 2x450, and the idea that I could potentially move to a 4x1000 by year end makes me drool.

Macwizzard
Jul 9, 2001, 09:10 PM
Apple would have processor shortages if 4x configurations were used. I 'm just looking forward to seeing if there are new designs released. That would rock. They probably will, and a flat screen iMac would be awesome.

menoinjun
Jul 10, 2001, 11:17 AM
Ok, let's say that the iMacs become all G4 with the 7400. How on earth can they sell one for $899 with a G4 (say 466) AND a new 15" LCD? That kind of computer should cost at least $1200, and that's being lenient!! At most, there could be ONE G4 model, and that might be the so called "limited edition" or SE. I'm thinking much faster G3 chips (up a couple hundred mhz), PC 133 ram (min 128), 15" LCD, and CDRW/DVD combo drives. And as I said in past posts, I would not be suprised with dual processor G3 iMacs. BTW- OS X would run fine on these new faster iMacs, as well as those programs mentioned in earlier posts.

If all G4 iMacs do arrive, I would then like to see Apple sell the remaining G3 iMacs starting at $499, even if lower than cost, to educators or to people in low income areas. Unfortunately that I can't see happening, even if it would be a generous act and one that could get Macs into many more hands.

yogi
Jul 10, 2001, 05:16 PM
For me, the issue with iMacs is the screen size. Even basic PC packages come with 17 inch now and for the iMac to compete it needs to be this size - but for LCD that's going to cost a lot.
Apple will want at least two years out of the range - if Apple get it wrong they will not get the sales they need.
Chip speed is important - why shouldn't the iMac have G4s? Maybe G3s are OK if only the headline speed could better.
However, if the box is the wrong size (15 inch) it won't really matter how fast it is inside.

macboy
Jul 10, 2001, 06:43 PM
larger screens better for the baby-boomers!!! Smart move if apple makes them larger as the baby-boomers are the number one people buying computers nowadays...

Thin Ice
Jul 10, 2001, 07:56 PM
Apple already make several sized LCD screens. Why not let the new iMac have interchangeable screens? Why not re-jig the current plastics so they share monitors with the towers. ie: the stand detaches and the monitor clips onto the iMac.

Less inventory. More options.

I should work for Apple. ;)

discstickers.com
Jul 16, 2001, 12:34 PM
"And as I said in past posts, I would not be suprised with dual processor G3 iMacs."
You have got to be kidding me. That is almost funny. G3s were never designed to work with other processors. It is techincally impossible, based on the design. Do your homework, please, for the sake of us all.