PDA

View Full Version : I just wasted $30 on a screen protector.

Gavin S.
Apr 2, 2011, 07:16 PM
Bought a Power Support crystal for my iPad and got it on perfectly, except for one piece of dust, tried to get that off and smudged the adhesive and just gave up. Eff it. It looked like crap after that and no coming back. My advice for people wanting to do this. Find something like a CDC Clean Room and put on one of those Andromeda Strain jump suits before you even open the package. couldn't believe how much crap alit upon my screen as I tried to apply that film. God I'm a moron.

Mac'nCheese
Apr 2, 2011, 07:18 PM
Bought a Power Support crystal for my iPad and got it on perfectly, except for one piece of dust, tried to get that off and smudged the adhesive and just gave up. Eff it. It looked like crap after that and no coming back. My advice for people wanting to do this. Find something like a CDC Clean Room and put on one of those Andromeda Strain jump suits before you even open the package. couldn't believe how much crap alit upon my screen as I tried to apply that film. God I'm a moron.

I was never good at stuff like that so when I got the i4, I went to one of those kiosks in the mall where they put it on for you. Worked fine for a while but slowly it started to peel off. Now I go naked and probably will stay that way with both the 4 and ipad 2.

WoodrowCall
Apr 2, 2011, 07:25 PM
I haven't gotten a screen cover for my iPad 2, but I use the hd anti glare firnmy iPhone 4. It was easy to put on, compared to some of the experiences I've heard about with people putting on the cover in a steamy bathroom. I'm going naked on my iPad 2. The anti glare definitely diminished how good the screen looks, and I don't want to give that up for my iPad 2.

Built
Apr 2, 2011, 07:28 PM

Did you try doing a wet install? There is a great independent instructional video on Youtube showing a guy doing a wet install on an original iPad...I love PS Crystal Film (have had it on my 1st gen iPhone, iPhone 3G and 4, as well as my iPad 1.) For the iPad 1 and iPhone 4, I went to the PS store in Burbank and they installed the films for a few bucks. Well worth it. FYI...They did a wet install.

Some have also had success doing the install in the bathroom after running a hot shower. The steam makes the dust particles in the air settle out.

MultiMediaWill
Apr 2, 2011, 07:31 PM
I haven't gotten a screen cover for my iPad 2, but I use the hd anti glare firnmy iPhone 4. It was easy to put on, compared to some of the experiences I've heard about with people putting on the cover in a steamy bathroom. I'm going naked on my iPad 2. The anti glare definitely diminished how good the screen looks, and I don't want to give that up for my iPad 2.

What do you mean? The iPad screen doesn't look good anyway. Now, the iPhone 4 screen is a different story.

N23
Apr 2, 2011, 07:53 PM
I don't see my iPad going through the same level of abuse as my ip4,
so I'm probably going to run it without a screen protector.

A full body cover will suffice for just around the house.

vladtheimpaler
Apr 2, 2011, 07:56 PM
bought a power support crystal for my ipad and got it on perfectly, except for one piece of dust, tried to get that off and smudged the adhesive and just gave up. Eff it. It looked like crap after that and no coming back. My advice for people wanting to do this. Find something like a cdc clean room and put on one of those andromeda strain jump suits before you even open the package. Couldn't believe how much crap alit upon my screen as i tried to apply that film. God i'm a moron.

lololol!

haruhiko
Apr 2, 2011, 07:59 PM
The very fact that you paid $30 for a sheet of plastic is beyond my imagination. My iPhone 3GS, which is used by my mum now, survived 2 years of heavy usage without a screen protector and yet there isn't a single noticeable scratch on the screen (loads of scratches on the back though). The chance for an iPad to scratch the screen is even lower as it is not as mobile as the iPhone.

melman101
Apr 2, 2011, 08:05 PM
My iPad 1 had noticeable scratches even though it was in an Apple Case from day 1. I bought a PS Crystal Film and it worked wonders. I ordered my PS Crystal Film for iPad 2 I can't wait till it gets here.

racer1441
Apr 2, 2011, 08:07 PM
What do you mean? The iPad screen doesn't look good anyway. Now, the iPhone 4 screen is a different story.

For most people, including me, there is no visual difference between the two.

jdcell100
Apr 2, 2011, 08:13 PM
I firmly believe screen protecters are a waste of money I had one on my first iPad from day one, I had fingerprints daily. When I got ipad2 about 2 weeks ago the feel of my iPad without screen protecter feels totally different like night and day plus I'm hardly getting any fingerprints. Only have smart cover on it and that's it nothing on back either. I carry this around with me everywhere so it takes a beating.

FireSokar
Apr 2, 2011, 08:13 PM
This is why I paid 58$ for front and back Ghost-Armor at the mall. I was picky and they went through 8 screen protectors to get 3 iPad 2's right. well worth it. Didn't cost the company any money by doing it, they just returned them as defective.

timbloom
Apr 2, 2011, 08:15 PM
If you can, and you're not an expert at these things, I'd suggest having a retail shop do it. This way if it's messed up, they are responsible for fixing it.

MultiMediaWill
Apr 2, 2011, 08:40 PM
For most people, including me, there is no visual difference between the two.

Lies. Everyone can clearly tell a difference between 130ppi and 300ppi.

Zeos
Apr 2, 2011, 08:46 PM

Just had the Ghost Armor installed at a kiosk. Pricey at $55 for full body coverage, but it looks good, feels great, and has a lifetime warranty. Best of all, they install it, so if they mess up, they have to pull out a new shield!

dacreativeguy
Apr 2, 2011, 08:58 PM

You don't need a screen protector on an ipad. Just get a case or smart cover that covers the screen in transport.

Greg M
Apr 2, 2011, 09:44 PM
I've got a power support antiglare screen protector and I've moved it from one iPad to another several times with no problems at all. I do have to take some scotch tape to remove a dust spec here and there but it's nothing that takes that much effort. Just a little patience.

To those that say that the iPad doesn't need a screen cover on it all I can say is that I need it. The glossy screen gives me a headache. Plus the feel of the screen protector is much better than the glass. My fingers slide SOOOOOOO much easier on the screen protector than on the glass.

Cheetablaze
Apr 2, 2011, 09:52 PM
My wife bought me the invisible screen and I still haven't slapped it on yet. All of my "phones" have had them on because they live in my pocket. iPad 2 lived up high away from the kids inside a fully enclosed incase. I'll go naked because those screen protectors make the screen look horrible. Just keep people with excessive bling on their hands away from your device and it'll be just fine.

puckhead193
Apr 2, 2011, 09:56 PM
I have no issues with my ghost armour. Screen looks as if there was nothing on it. Very happy with it.

johnnyturbouk
Apr 2, 2011, 10:05 PM
i fell for expensive = quality screen protector
i got the Zagg invisible-shield

what a total waste of money that was!!!!

i got a cheap 2.50 screen protector from elephant markets, and i swear it's just as good

andiwm2003
Apr 2, 2011, 10:12 PM
I bought a cheap antiglare screen protector off ebay for $5 or so. worked great. i have access to a clean room however and put it on there......

Big-TDI-Guy
Apr 2, 2011, 10:18 PM
I bought a cheap antiglare screen protector off ebay for $5 or so. worked great. i have access to a clean room however and put it on there......

Hmm, I should jack a bunny suit and a class 10 flow hood and start my own business. :D

AggieWSO
Apr 2, 2011, 10:18 PM
Power Support USA has great customer service. Same thing happened to me last year with my Ipad 1. I e-mailed them and they sent a new one out to me ASAP. What it takes to get a good fit with no dust is a clean environment and a really tough long straight piece of material to help to apply the protector with no bubbles.

All in all, just e-mail power support's support and they should be able to find a fix for you.

Eric8199
Apr 2, 2011, 10:20 PM
I do have to take some scotch tape to remove a dust spec here and there but it's nothing that takes that much effort.

This. I wasted one or two on my iPhone 4 before I figured this out (actually says this in the instructions). Tape will easily take the dust off and leave no marks.

WoodrowCall
Apr 2, 2011, 10:25 PM

Doesn't look good? Seriously? Compared to what? I have never once looked at the screen and not been happy about how bright and crisp it is. I don't need 1080p 24" from my face to be happy. Seriously, how can you even say it's not good, that's just crazy talk. Also, the 25 million or so people who own might disagree.

ajvizzgamer101
Apr 2, 2011, 10:32 PM
Best Skin Ever are like half the price and in my opinion easier to put on

Mlrollin91
Apr 2, 2011, 10:37 PM
That is why I am thankful I live near their store in Burbank. They charge 5 dollars to install and will do it over and over until you okay it. My iPhone front and back are flawless. Can't wait for Friday when I can put it on my iPad 2 and return the Zagg.

cmvsm
Apr 2, 2011, 10:39 PM

I thought that the Power Support screen protectors were held on by static cling. Which means that there is no glue and you could actually wash it under water, dry it off, and start over again. I did this with my SDK screen protector which is also static cling based and it worked out fine. I think it says in the instructions that these are reusable.

Now the Zagg screen protectors are garbage. I don't know how they get such large distribution. You have to spray the protector, then spray your fingertips, by the time you get the screen protector up, your fingers have dried, getting prints all over the screen. Once you screw those up, forget about it.

maestrokev
Apr 2, 2011, 10:47 PM
Never had a problem with Power Support or SGP, I just use transparent tape to pull off a bit of the protector and remove the lint with another piece of tape. Yeah, Zagg is the worst and if you use it on your screen you lose that smooth finger glide because it's too tacky.

maflynn
Apr 3, 2011, 05:53 AM
This is why I bring my idevices to the ghost armor kiosk at my mall. I cannot ever get any screen protectors on without bubbles, dust, or being crooked. No matter how zealously I follow the directions

It's totally worth the small increase in cost to have some who's good at it to install the protector

scottgroovez
Apr 3, 2011, 05:59 AM
I hate screen protectors. Much prefer a proper sleeve that protects it fully whilst in transit and having it naked whilst in use.

Troy47
Apr 3, 2011, 06:03 AM
I hate screen protectors. Much prefer a proper sleeve that protects it fully whilst in transit and having it naked whilst in use.

Totally agree.

iVeBeenDrinkin'
Apr 3, 2011, 06:05 AM

You took the screen protector right off my iPad.

iFoure
Apr 3, 2011, 07:49 AM
I don't posses the flawless skills of installing a screen protector so I would never spend $30 on a piece of plastic that I know I will never get just right. That's crazy expensive waste of money :eek:

billyjoegibsonx
Apr 3, 2011, 07:54 AM
this is why i get cheap screen protectors off ebay. who cares their gunna get scratched. thats the whole point. why waste money on it. aslong is it keeps the device in good condition if you plan on selling it later on.

screen protectors are a nightmare...i agree, you need to be in area with no dust to have a chance with these pests!

Blorzoga
Apr 3, 2011, 08:31 AM
I've got a power support antiglare screen protector and I've moved it from one iPad to another several times with no problems at all. I do have to take some scotch tape to remove a dust spec here and there but it's nothing that takes that much effort. Just a little patience.

To those that say that the iPad doesn't need a screen cover on it all I can say is that I need it. The glossy screen gives me a headache. Plus the feel of the screen protector is much better than the glass. My fingers slide SOOOOOOO much easier on the screen protector than on the glass.

I agree. I've put PS covers on iPhones and iPads and you just have to be patient. Clean the screen carefully before you begin and have plenty of scotch tape on hand. The film is very durable and lies dead flat on the screen. I don't necessarily put them on to protect the screen, but rather to reduce the annoying fingerprints. I'm waiting for my PS AG for my ipad2 and there's nothing worse than sitting down to look at my device and seeing all those smudges. On a white screen, they are very noticeable. And constantly having to wipe down the screen just increases the likelihood of scratching. As far as the screen appearance, I don't feel the AG detracts from the screen one bit. In fact, I think the lack of reflections actually enhances the appearance. If you're looking at a screen and there's a reflection, you can't see how beautiful the screen is anyway.

Blorzoga
Apr 3, 2011, 08:33 AM
never had a problem with power support or sgp, i just use transparent tape to pull off a bit of the protector and remove the lint with another piece of tape. Yeah, zagg is the worst and if you use it on your screen you lose that smooth finger glide because it's too tacky.

+1

aneftp
Apr 3, 2011, 08:43 AM
I agree. Considering eBay screen protectors are less than $5 for 3. Local retailers/vendors can still make big profits by selling them for 3 for $15.

I don't get why people spend $20-30 for screen protectors that may not be applied correctly the first time.

peapody
Apr 3, 2011, 08:51 AM
I bought one of those cheapie screen protectors - total nightmare to put on. So many bubbles and it was so hard to smooth them out. Waste of 5 dollars to me. Eventually broke down and got the first generation HD antiglare from Powersupport. So easy to put on and make adjustments with dust and what not. Very happy with the purchase and will probably spend some to get the second generation when it comes out.

And as far as going naked versus not - the smart cover microfiber left quite a lot of dust and smudges on my ipad surface, and that and a long with fingerprints and the need for constant wiping... no thanks.

dhcl604
Apr 3, 2011, 01:30 PM
I agree. I've put PS covers on iPhones and iPads and you just have to be patient. Clean the screen carefully before you begin and have plenty of scotch tape on hand. The film is very durable and lies dead flat on the screen. I don't necessarily put them on to protect the screen, but rather to reduce the annoying fingerprints. I'm waiting for my PS AG for my ipad2 and there's nothing worse than sitting down to look at my device and seeing all those smudges. On a white screen, they are very noticeable. And constantly having to wipe down the screen just increases the likelihood of scratching. As far as the screen appearance, I don't feel the AG detracts from the screen one bit. In fact, I think the lack of reflections actually enhances the appearance. If you're looking at a screen and there's a reflection, you can't see how beautiful the screen is anyway.
I have an PS AG screen protector on order for an iPad 2, which isn't scheduled to ship for another three weeks. I have be debating whether to cancel the AG order and change it for the Crystal Film style. I wanted the resisting glare and finger prints properties of the screen protector but don't want to give up the clarity of the display. After reading this post, it seems that the PS AG still allows the display to look good. Any other positive or negative experiences with Power Support's screen protectors would be appreciated since I still have a few days left to change my PS order. Thanks.

kdarling
Apr 3, 2011, 01:56 PM
Never had a problem with Power Support or SGP, I just use transparent tape to pull off a bit of the protector and remove the lint with another piece of tape.

+1000 for good advice.

If you ever pull up a corner of screen protector, just use a loop of tape to clean it and the screen off again, before you put that side down.

As for the Power Support, it made the iPad I bought a million (technical term) times better, by blocking glare and hiding fingerprints. I wouldn't own one without it.

caubeck
Apr 3, 2011, 02:10 PM
Haven't used a screen protector since I bought an iPaq. I can't imagine what madness would drive one to stick one on an iPad. Paranoia and publicity perhaps?

xolan99
Apr 3, 2011, 02:39 PM
Wow I must've been lucky or something. With my iPhones I have always had to buy multiple protectors cause I never get it right.

However with my iPad protector I got it right in one try, one swoop with no dust or bubbles. I assumed I was able to do it easier because the screen was not as flimsy and there was a larger area.

h00ligan
Apr 3, 2011, 03:03 PM
Contact power support.

Iended up buying the antiglare splash masque from amazon. $18 for a 3 pack, looks the same as power support.

RossMc
Apr 3, 2011, 03:14 PM
I don't think I am going to get anything for the screen. Just going to stick with the smart cover. Going to get something for the back though maybe a Zagg. Just wish they had one of those places which installed them for you near me in the UK as I am usually never good at installing them. Just using the smart cover at the minute with nothing on the back when i am in the house at the minute and got one of those cheap clear silicone cases for when I'm outside with it which protects the back.

Alucardx03
Apr 3, 2011, 03:24 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've never had a problem with applying screen protectors. Granted, it is a delicate art, but entirely doable.

Edit, just saw this was posted up top.

The biggest concern is dust, obviously. And, in reality, there will never be a dust-free application the first time. The trick is to have a few strips of scotch tape on hand. When you see a piece of dust, use the tape to pull the corner of the screen protector up, and then (without touching the protector, obviously) use the sticky side of the tape to grab the particle. Pretty simple.

VidPro
Apr 3, 2011, 03:31 PM
Haven't used a screen protector since I bought an iPaq. I can't imagine what madness would drive one to stick one on an iPad. Paranoia and publicity perhaps?

Scratches. :rolleyes::)

reputationZed
Apr 3, 2011, 03:45 PM
God I'm a moron.
Exactly the way I felt after installing a Stealth Armor tungsten skin on the back of my iPad2. First I felt like a moron for having spent $35 on the skin,, not to mention the $20 I had previously spent on a LuckyLabs skin only to rip off a week later to install the SA skin. I slipped further into the depths of moroness when I pulled a corner of the skin back up because the corner didn't look quite right. I got the corner lined up pretty well and then noticed a grain of dust under the skin so pulled it part way off again. By the time I got rid of the dust and got everything lined up the adhesive was shot. Fortunately a blow dryer saved the day. The jobs far from perfect but I learned that by lowering my standards a wee bit I was happy.

One good thing about being a moron is you will never be alone.

EssentialParado
Apr 3, 2011, 08:16 PM

Scratches are very difficult to get on an iPad screen. I've had my iPad naked for almost 10 months now, with daily use and traveling with it worldwide and have no screen scratches. Putting a plastic film on the screen picks up fingerprints and reduces the screen fidelity, but I think it's quite pointless as a screen protector considering it doesn't need protecting for all but the most clumsy.

That aluminum back however...

Blorzoga
Apr 3, 2011, 08:20 PM
I have an PS AG screen protector on order for an iPad 2, which isn't scheduled to ship for another three weeks. I have be debating whether to cancel the AG order and change it for the Crystal Film style. I wanted the resisting glare and finger prints properties of the screen protector but don't want to give up the clarity of the display. After reading this post, it seems that the PS AG still allows the display to look good. Any other positive or negative experiences with Power Support's screen protectors would be appreciated since I still have a few days left to change my PS order. Thanks.

Just to reiterate, there may be minimal reduction in clarity with the AG, but the fingerprint reduction more than makes up for it.

Ladybug
Apr 3, 2011, 10:23 PM
I got one of these, was very easy to install. It's all in one piece, with border so no bubbles and was easy to line up.
http://www.amazon.com/Moshi-iVisor-Screen-Protection-Clear/dp/B0041SN3E2/ref=sr_1_13?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1301887194&sr=1-13

Edit: This was purchased for an iPad 1... Not sure if they make one yet for iPad 2.

kntgsp
Apr 4, 2011, 12:36 AM
I had a similar experience with the Ipad 1. I always put screen protectors on my cell phones so I figured I'd put one on the Ipad. I got it on perfectly except for some small speck of dust or something right in the center as i was putting it on. Trying to surgically remove it with a pocket knife did nothing but smear the adhesive.

After about 20 minutes of that nonsense I pulled the screen protector off, wadded it up and threw it in the trash.

caubeck
Apr 4, 2011, 01:37 AM

Trying to fit it in your back pocket with your comb and keys? This thing is pretty tough.

kmichalec
Apr 4, 2011, 12:38 PM
Got these from Amazon. Easy to put on, and no bubbling. Plus, you get 3 for that price, in case you make a mistake. Have one on my iPad 2 right now, and I also have the same brand for my iPhone. They work great.

http://www.amazon.com/splash-Masque-Protector-Invisible-Generation/dp/B004QECHOS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1301938576&sr=1-1

TroyBoy30
Apr 4, 2011, 04:39 PM
I had a similar experience with the Ipad 1. I always put screen protectors on my cell phones so I figured I'd put one on the Ipad. I got it on perfectly except for some small speck of dust or something right in the center as i was putting it on. Trying to surgically remove it with a pocket knife did nothing but smear the adhesive.

After about 20 minutes of that nonsense I pulled the screen protector off, wadded it up and threw it in the trash.

A pocket knife? Use scotch tape to lift up a corner and a rolled up piece of scotch tape to remove the lint or dust

aluren
Apr 4, 2011, 05:05 PM
I think PS has the best films. I've tried many other shields such as BSE, Invisible Shield, Bodyguardz, cheap ebay shields and they don't repel grease as well as PS. It's alot easier to wipe off from the PS than from other shields. Also, a dry install is much better and easier than wet. The only thing that sucks is the price, which at $30 is pretty steep. The way I install a PS is use tape on the sticky side as grip to align it to the iPad. Then once it aligns on one corner, push the shield down and remove the tape.

systole
Apr 4, 2011, 05:12 PM
While PS's product certainly sounds like it performs better than Zagg's, I have been able to get my Zagg replaced with a $5 warranty charge at the mall kiosks on an ipod touch, moto droid, and moto droid 2. Any similar warranty service from PS?

maestrokev
Apr 5, 2011, 12:15 AM
I think PS has the best films. I've tried many other shields such as BSE, Invisible Shield, Bodyguardz, cheap ebay shields and they don't repel grease as well as PS. It's alot easier to wipe off from the PS than from other shields. Also, a dry install is much better and easier than wet. The only thing that sucks is the price, which at $30 is pretty steep. The way I install a PS is use tape on the sticky side as grip to align it to the iPad. Then once it aligns on one corner, push the shield down and remove the tape.

You can't compare PS to BSE, Zagg, Bodyguardz etc as those are more like "SaranWrap" and the primary function is not screen clarity or reducing fingerprints but scratch protection. PS is best compared to SGP in terms of a quality screen protector with high light transmission. All the SaranWrap products have varying degrees of that orange peel effect and also reduce the ability of your finger to glide smoothly on the screen.