PDA

View Full Version : Major Issues with iPad Camera Connection Kit

MK25toLife
Apr 2, 2011, 08:43 PM
I just got the iPad 2 and have had some major issues with the camera connection kit. I am not using a mac so I can't just use iPhoto to arrange things. See below for issues, your help is appreciated!

-I noticed that with an SD card, I can only successfully import pics that have been taken with my camera, even then they have to be properly stored in the DCIM folder. I can't just drag and drop onto my SD card.

-I also cannot import pics I've saved off the internet, iPad doesn't recognize them. Only recognizes pics that I've taken with my camera for some reason.

-Importing from a flash drive just doesn't work at all. The connector doesn't even recognize I have connected my flash drive.

-I cannot import folders of diff. pics. I save my pics in different folders, for example, I can't upload my ski trip and summer trip pics seperately as different events in the iPad, I have to combine everything together onto my SD card and it automatically seperates them by date (my ski trip was 4 days, I took pics on each day, summer trip was 14 days, you get my drift).

lokerd
Apr 2, 2011, 08:58 PM
Welcome to Steve Jobs and his control issues.

We lost this ability with the upgrade from 3.2 to 4. They turned down the power to the cck. Used to be able to connect card readers, keyboards, etc.now it is virtually useless.

I waited as long as I could to upgrade my iPad to 4.2 because of the cck issues. I don't understand why this has no been addressed by som programmer for iPads that have been set free. I guess it just doesn't affect enough people.

Fortunately, there is a thing called Dropbox and it is free. I'll send u a link to use if u don't mind as I am still working to get my max storage up to 8gb.

WoodrowCall
Apr 2, 2011, 09:01 PM
Since you have a pc, might it be easier to just load all the pics onto your pc, and then sync them through iTunes? I know you don't have iPhoto, but I might think that you can use Picasa or Photoshop Elements to sort through. I use Aperture and just label all my pics I want to sync as Five Star and that's that.

KittyKatta
Apr 2, 2011, 09:24 PM
We lost this ability with the upgrade from 3.2 to 4. They turned down the power to the cck. Used to be able to connect card readers, keyboards, etc.now it is virtually useless.
I couldn't figure why all my stuff doesn't work and I kept getting power errors even with self powered devices. But now I know it's not my gear, It's Apple. I guess I'll return this again. (sigh)

BTW. iMovie was a huge selling point for me but I have yet to make a decent movie. Everyone defends Apples decision to put an awful camera and say we take footage with "real" cameras and transfer it in. But that requires a computer since they block many devices on the CCK and have specific formats allowed. It's a real disappointment,

Rigby
Apr 2, 2011, 10:20 PM
We lost this ability with the upgrade from 3.2 to 4. They turned down the power to the cck. Used to be able to connect card readers, keyboards, etc.now it is virtually useless.Actually you can still connect USB keyboards as well as some MIDI and USB audio devices with iOS 4.x. Nothing has been "lost" on the software side. It is possible that the iPad 2 provides less output power on the port than the iPad 1, but I'm not certain of this. My USB keyboard still works fine with the 2.

As far as SD Card is concerned, the photo app will only recognize files that are stored on the card according to the DCF standard (i.e. numbered files in numbered directories within the DCIM directory).

vrillusions
Apr 3, 2011, 12:58 AM
Actually you can still connect USB keyboards as well as some MIDI and USB audio devices with iOS 4.x. Nothing has been "lost" on the software side. It is possible that the iPad 2 provides less output power on the port than the iPad 1, but I'm not certain of this. My USB keyboard still works fine with the 2.

I was reading reviews on apple store before ipad 2 came out and people have said 4.x stopped devices like memory card readers from working. Although that's not to say for ipad 2 they just limited the power via hardware. The camera kit was going to be a key item for me until I learned they limited the power in the 4.x update (I have a camera that uses CF cards, like a lot of professional dSLR cameras). I'm waiting for a battery powered memory card reader. There used to be a battery powered usb hub but I guess it's not made any more. So my only option if I do get it is to hook up the camera to the kit, which uses up my camera battery and prevents me from using the camera. Really disappointed by this. I sent a message to the apple feedback page and hope enough others do the same.

master-ceo
Apr 3, 2011, 05:25 AM
The way you have to analy rename your pictures to put on SD for iPad. It's not worth the trouble.

Jail Break that Sucka and USe iFile.
iFile will read your SD the way it is.

Chundles
Apr 3, 2011, 05:37 AM
I just got the iPad 2 and have had some major issues with the camera connection kit. I am not using a mac so I can't just use iPhoto to arrange things. See below for issues, your help is appreciated!

-I noticed that with an SD card, I can only successfully import pics that have been taken with my camera, even then they have to be properly stored in the DCIM folder. I can't just drag and drop onto my SD card.

-I also cannot import pics I've saved off the internet, iPad doesn't recognize them. Only recognizes pics that I've taken with my camera for some reason.

-Importing from a flash drive just doesn't work at all. The connector doesn't even recognize I have connected my flash drive.

-I cannot import folders of diff. pics. I save my pics in different folders, for example, I can't upload my ski trip and summer trip pics seperately as different events in the iPad, I have to combine everything together onto my SD card and it automatically seperates them by date (my ski trip was 4 days, I took pics on each day, summer trip was 14 days, you get my drift).

None of those things were possible previously. A quick search before purchasing would've answered those questions.

I couldn't do without the camera connection kit. Use it every single day to import that day's photos. The USB one powers my maudio key station 61es just fine.

Rigby
Apr 3, 2011, 12:30 PM
I was reading reviews on apple store before ipad 2 came out and people have said 4.x stopped devices like memory card readers from working. Although that's not to say for ipad 2 they just limited the power via hardware.I suppose it's possible that the driver software doesn't allow transition into USB high-power state (more than 1 unit power) anymore, or lowered the threshold when over-current protection kicks in. Both are standard USB features. If true, I'm pretty sure this was done to prevent damages to the hardware, and not to explicitly lock out devices (given that at least some non-camera devices still work).
(I have a camera that uses CF cards, like a lot of professional dSLR cameras). Well, the camera connection kit was not made to directly access CF. CF cards can draw significantly more power than SD Cards.