PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Routers!!

stoid
Feb 28, 2005, 09:38 PM
I behind to many layers here. I've got a Cable modem connected to a wired router for XBox and old Ruby iMac, which then goes into an Airport Express for my PowerBook and my roommates Windows laptop. The iMac is mainly for running OS 9 games since my PBook wont boot into 9, and Classic won't handle some fullscreen games. The iMac is also for my old but very functional UMAX scanner that has no OS X support, again no Classic either.

I'd really like to be able to network the iMac and my PowerBook, but since it's in the wired router, and the PowerBook is Wi-Fi'ed they aren't on the same subnet and so they can't see each other. Is there anyway to get the Airport Express set up so that is will extend the wired subnet? (Might also be nice to interface with the XBox from the laptops if possible.)

Thanks all!

superbovine
Mar 1, 2005, 12:31 AM
I behind to many layers here. I've got a Cable modem connected to a wired router for XBox and old Ruby iMac, which then goes into an Airport Express for my PowerBook and my roommates Windows laptop. The iMac is mainly for running OS 9 games since my PBook wont boot into 9, and Classic won't handle some fullscreen games. The iMac is also for my old but very functional UMAX scanner that has no OS X support, again no Classic either.

I'd really like to be able to network the iMac and my PowerBook, but since it's in the wired router, and the PowerBook is Wi-Fi'ed they aren't on the same subnet and so they can't see each other. Is there anyway to get the Airport Express set up so that is will extend the wired subnet? (Might also be nice to interface with the XBox from the laptops if possible.)

Thanks all!

yeah manual give it an ip address and subnet in airport admin (under the internet tab).
for example if your router ip address is 192.168.x.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 give your airport express 192.168.x.2 255.255.255.0. i.e. give your airport express 1 ip number higher than your router. also make sure you are not distrubting ip address from your airport express, and you are creating a wifi not joining.

stoid
Mar 1, 2005, 01:30 AM
yeah manual give it an ip address and subnet in airport admin (under the internet tab).
for example if your router ip address is 192.168.x.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 give your airport express 192.168.x.2 255.255.255.0. i.e. give your airport express 1 ip number higher than your router. also make sure you are not distrubting ip address from your airport express, and you are creating a wifi not joining.

brilliant! thanks much superbovine!