PDA

View Full Version : iPad 2 back already scratched!!! Any products to repair it?

InfiniteLoopy
Apr 3, 2011, 09:36 AM
I've already scratched the back! I dragged it as I picked it up and there must have been something under it as it left it with a HUGE scratch on the back.

I remember back in the iPod days there were products which helped make scratches disappear. Does anyone have any advice?

At least it wasn't on the front!

:(

MattZani
Apr 3, 2011, 09:38 AM
On the iPods you polish the scratch out, can't really do that with the iPad.

Best advice is to buy a BSE for it, live with that one scratch as a lesson, ANYTHING can scratch it.

miamialley
Apr 3, 2011, 10:40 AM
Let's see a pic.

Slap a film on the back to prevent this in the future. You'll hardly know it's on there. (ie www.bodyguardz.com)

ghostshadow
Apr 4, 2011, 01:25 AM
Steel wool might help. :p

drenline
Apr 4, 2011, 04:01 AM
That's always the risk of leaving ur iDevices naked. Always a possibility.

klanse
Apr 4, 2011, 04:16 AM
I remember back in the iPod days there were products which helped make scratches disappear. Does anyone have any advice?

Yes but those are for chromed aluminium like the ipod touch back.

Karnivore
Apr 4, 2011, 08:05 AM
I've already scratched the back! I dragged it as I picked it up and there must have been something under it as it left it with a HUGE scratch on the back.

At least it wasn't on the front!

Back then many had moderate luck with Brasso.

InfiniteLoopy
Apr 4, 2011, 12:18 PM
Oh well.
Not much I can do about it now. I guess I'll just be super careful.

MrMac'n'Cheese
Apr 4, 2011, 12:41 PM
Oh well.

Get it swapped at the apple store, tell them it has bleeding and stuck pixels.

Fliesen
Apr 4, 2011, 12:45 PM
Oh well.

you can always still get a case (which will protect AND cover the scratch)

or, depending on where the scratch is, get some nice looking decal

Yochanan
Apr 27, 2011, 10:59 PM
Upon arrival and removal from the cellophane sleeve, 5 scuffs and scratches were obvious on the back of the Ipad. I called Apple to make it a matter of record and to make sure they knew it was a quality control issue.
I hadn't planned on returning it but they offered to replace it. One hour later I called and agreed to that..

They were courteous and said there have been issues with some slipping through with scratches.
Not surprising with the production demands their factories have.
Pic attached.

3goldens
Apr 28, 2011, 10:24 AM
You OCD's out there need to either get protection out of the box or find suitable medication to help you get over these little bumps in the road.

There is now way to fix this, and if you use steel wool, MY GOD MAN what were you thinking, joke I hope.

Things get scratched, get over it.

TheUndertow
Apr 28, 2011, 11:19 AM
Now is the time to buy a fun case that protect (hides) part of the back.

Chalk it up as lesson learned.

I always had a case on my iPad 1 (InCase jacket) but even with slightly exposed corners, one somehow got a "ding".

Antfer
Apr 28, 2011, 11:29 AM
Now is the time to buy a fun case that protect (hides) part of the back.

"Chalk it up as lesson learned".

This.

kfscoll
Apr 28, 2011, 11:46 AM
Back then many had moderate luck with Brasso.

Don't use Brasso! You'll polish through the anodized layer and be left with a shiny spot that looks worse than the scratch itself.

Yochanan
Apr 28, 2011, 03:54 PM
You OCD's out there need to either get protection out of the box or find suitable medication to help you get over these little bumps in the road.

There is now way to fix this, and if you use steel wool, MY GOD MAN what were you thinking, joke I hope.

Things get scratched, get over it.

The Apple production line could use a little "OCD" and package them up undamaged. If this were the case, then an out-of-the-box protective backing would then be worth the 30 or 40 bucks. But when they arrive already damaged,.... It's Apple's turn to Man-Up.:D

batman75
Apr 28, 2011, 07:38 PM
If you didn't cover the back, then it was just a matter of time. You got what was coming.

This is why most people get a proper case or at least a skin rather than going for the Steve Jobs look (scratched back with smart cover).

Yochanan
Apr 30, 2011, 02:00 PM
Upon arrival and removal from the cellophane sleeve, 5 scuffs and scratches were obvious on the back of the Ipad. I called Apple to make it a matter of record and to make sure they knew it was a quality control issue.
I hadn't planned on returning it but they offered to replace it. One hour later I called and agreed to that..

They were courteous and said there have been issues with some slipping through with scratches.
Not surprising with the production demands their factories have.
Pic attached.

Apple shipped new one via Overnight FedEx.. Arrived next morning from Pennsylvania to Oregon...
Thanks Apple... :-) Nice Work! Thanks FedEx ! Thanks Empire !:D:D

ntrigue
Apr 30, 2011, 02:23 PM
I wanted to chime in and say that two permanent blemishes have appeared due to the leather Smart Cover.

I'll attach pictures but am interested to hear Genius feedback. It's precisely where the bar meets the hinges.

Cristian
Apr 30, 2011, 02:39 PM
Sorry to hear that. Like stated above they scratch ver easy. I would add a cover of some sort to the back or the whole thing.. That's just me though I can't have my iPad without a case.

imutter
Apr 30, 2011, 02:48 PM
As a good Mommy I say "Band Aid"
Did you not plan on using it?
Lucky it's not the screen !

Yochanan
Apr 30, 2011, 02:54 PM
Sorry to hear that. Like stated above they scratch ver easy. I would add a cover of some sort to the back or the whole thing.. That's just me though I can't have my iPad without a case.

Installed Clear skin from Bodyguardz.com on the back. (ID info labeling under skin) Anti glare screen shield on the front. Very Happy with Both...
Came out very nice but follow directions ExacTly... Very tedious. Wait 12 hours after applying before operating Ipad.

I had too much dust in the room.... Use as clean an environment as possible...

Daremo
Apr 30, 2011, 04:20 PM
Get it swapped at the apple store, tell them it has bleeding and stuck pixels.

It wouldn't be MacRumors unless someone offered some dishonest advice.

Mikesus
Apr 30, 2011, 06:02 PM
Any of the skins will minimize it, I prefer Best Skins Ever as they "glide" better. ZAGG is too sticky for my tastes...

InfiniteLoopy
May 1, 2011, 04:43 AM
If you didn't cover the back, then it was just a matter of time. You got what was coming.

This is why most people get a proper case or at least a skin rather than going for the Steve Jobs look (scratched back with smart cover).

I got it on launch day and to my knowledge, there were no back covers available ...

It actually seems that manufacturers are only now shipping their back covers.
Does anyone have any recommendations as to which ones fit well and work with smart cover?

Thanks

TC25
May 1, 2011, 05:34 AM
Does anyone have any recommendations as to which ones fit well and work with smart cover?

Click Here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1116003) for a whole thread about skins.

InfiniteLoopy
May 3, 2011, 04:35 AM
Click Here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1116003) for a whole thread about skins.

Thanks but I'd prefer a back case rather than a skin. They seem to be all coming out more or less now. Are there any that are recommended yet?

ZipZap
May 3, 2011, 07:15 AM
Not sure if its out for the iPad 2 but I have the Zagg Leather skin on the back of my iPad 1.

Great looking cover/protector.