Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheXFactor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Hello all, just purchased a Refurbished MacBook Air 1.86/4/128 from the Apple store. I am currently using a MacBook. I have about 35 gigs on the MB. What's the best way to move all this stuff over to the new Air?

I also purchased the Iomega 320GB eGo Helium Portable Hard Drive to go along with the new Air. Is Time Machine the best way? Is this done on the initial setup of the Air? In other words is there an option to restore when the Air first boots up?

Thanks in advance.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
When you are setting up the MBA, it will ask if you want to transfer data from a Time Machine backup, so the best way is to use TM.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
When you are setting up the MBA, it will ask if you want to transfer data from a Time Machine backup, so the best way is to use TM.

Does Time Machine Restore simply mirror your entire setup on your primary computer, or do you have the option of choosing which apps/files you want to restore to the MBA?

jksu

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2009
Hello all, just purchased a Refurbished MacBook Air 1.86/4/128 from the Apple store. I am currently using a MacBook. I have about 35 gigs on the MB. What's the best way to move all this stuff over to the new Air?

I also purchased the Iomega 320GB eGo Helium Portable Hard Drive to go along with the new Air. Is Time Machine the best way? Is this done on the initial setup of the Air? In other words is there an option to restore when the Air first boots up?

Thanks in advance.

i used carbon copy cloner to copy my black macbook onto an external drive volume. then used the external drive to copy onto the macbook air.

the external drives's cloned volume serves as a backup as well as volume for ripped movies/songs.

tried using time machine via airport and took way too long. the above method will take 20-40minutes depending on how large your macbook drive is.

TheXFactor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Ok, I'm a bit confused. I am going to be using Time Machine with the external drive I bought, is this correct? Time Machine on the first Mac, to the new drive. Is that right? Sorry, it's been a few years since I switched Macs and I use FireWire back then to connect to the 2 Macs to import all the stuff.

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
You can use Migration assistant over WiFi. Read the link above.

or You can do a full Time Machine backup of you old MB using your new iOmega drive then use that to migrate your data and user accounts. Either way will work.

87am

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
i used carbon copy cloner to copy my black macbook onto an external drive volume. then used the external drive to copy onto the macbook air.

the external drives's cloned volume serves as a backup as well as volume for ripped movies/songs.

tried using time machine via airport and took way too long. the above method will take 20-40minutes depending on how large your macbook drive is.

Carbon copy cloner is not a good solution for transfering data between models. Some use different drivers and different builds of OSX. Using CCC in this situation may not work at all.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
You can use Migration assistant over WiFi. Read the link above.

or You can do a full Time Machine backup of you old MB using your new iOmega drive then use that to migrate your data and user accounts. Either way will work.

Will the Time Machine restore also bring over all your old apps to the new mac?
Or just the data files, media, documents, settings, etc.

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Will the Time Machine restore also bring over all your old apps to the new mac?
Or just the data files, media, documents, settings, etc.

Your choice. It gives a check list to cover user accounts, apps and documents.

I agree the Cloning is a bad way to do this. It's fine for HDD upgrades of the same computer but you do not want old MB system files on your new MBAir.

TheXFactor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Since I don't anticipate anymore than I have on my current drive (around 35 gigs), is it advisable to run iTunes from an external drive or is it ok to load all my songs to the MB air drive?

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Since I don't anticipate anymore than I have on my current drive (around 35 gigs), is it advisable to run iTunes from an external drive or is it ok to load all my songs to the MB air drive?

If all you have on your Mac now is 35GB TOTAL of all media, files, apps, etc... it's a no brainer. Copy it all over to the 128GB MBA

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
I used Migration Assistant to move my stuff from MBP to Air. It got most everything, but you'll still need to dig around the preference file folder and transfer those with jump drive, unless you want to reregister and set up your software again. It moves some pref files, but skips others for some reason. But all in all it does a pretty good job of transferring files.

TheXFactor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

stockscalper said:
I used Migration Assistant to move my stuff from MBP to Air. It got most everything, but you'll still need to dig around the preference file folder and transfer those with jump drive, unless you want to reregister and set up your software again. It moves some pref files, but skips others for some reason. But all in all it does a pretty good job of transferring files.

Did you go wireless or cable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.