PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac insight?


wileypen
Feb 28, 2005, 10:26 PM
I'm an early adopter with a generous employer. When the first G5 was introduced, the only thing that kept me from buying it immediately was Jobs saying that it would be at 3 GHz in a year. So I waited. And waited. And waited.

I've never waited before, but I'll be damned if I buy before it says 3.0. I know it's irrational... But damn it, he _promised_. So, any insights or thoughts about when the next update will be? The rumor front has been quiet for months.

oingoboingo
Feb 28, 2005, 11:00 PM
I'm an early adopter with a generous employer. When the first G5 was introduced, the only thing that kept me from buying it immediately was Jobs saying that it would be at 3 GHz in a year. So I waited. And waited. And waited.

I've never waited before, but I'll be damned if I buy before it says 3.0. I know it's irrational... But damn it, he _promised_. So, any insights or thoughts about when the next update will be? The rumor front has been quiet for months.

The rumour mill has been virtually silent on the topic of PowerMac G5 upgrades (well...the reliable component of the rumour mill anyway). There appears to be little information available about faster PowerPC 970 chips coming out of IBM either. There are random rumblings about dual core versions of the PowerPC 9xx series, but they're nothing more than that. Considering that it is now getting close to 2 years since Steve's "3GHz in a year" promise, and the 2.5GHz version of the PowerMac needed to resort to a complex liquid cooling system to keep things running, I think it's fair to say that the G5 processor has probably not worked out the way that either Apple or IBM had hoped for. Steve issued about as much as an apology as he's capable of at WWDC 2004 for the "3GHz" remark, so that story is finished.

I would normally say "just pull your finger out and go buy a G5 already", but since you've waited this long since the original G5 launch (approaching 2 years), you obviously don't really need one and can afford to wait another few months and see what comes out at WWDC. So there you go...wait until WWDC. If there's no 3GHz versions released then, just grab whatever is top of the line then.

iGary
Mar 1, 2005, 07:06 AM
I'm waiting for a crippled (4 RAM slot, PCI only) dual 2.0, personally - hopefully it will come with a 1GHz FSB.