Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roxor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Hi,

Regardless of the upcoming update or not, is it worth to buy the ipod touch now or not? I meanm regardless of how soon the updates come, will they be significant enough to make it worth waiting?

What could there be? bigger volume? better cameras? I do not really know.

Thanks

alligator34

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2010
Indiana
For me, the answer was yes. I love this little thing and it has thus far been the best 200 bucks I've spent in my life. I've used it every day since I bought it finding new ways to use it every time I try.

For you the answer could be different, so if you're on the fence and REALLY want to know what the updates will be, hang on until Sept and see. If the updated one is the device you've been waiting for, jump on it then. If not, the 4th gen will have a price cut and you can get one then.

Really is a cool piece of tech. But it all depends on the end user and how they want the device to fit into their life.

roxor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Hi!

Thanks for that answer, if the updates are as far as Sept, I am not sure it is worth waiting especially since I can't see what the updates could be to justify the wait.
I am not saying that I don't care about price, but if I wait for the next version to be released, it is not to get a price cut on the previous one.

I had actually left the iPod family for the lack of support of formats, FLAC especially, but I just discovered that ALAC is supported, and while being proprietary, it is still lossless which is what I seek.

And the other key quality of iPods vs concurrence is the gapless support that is supported nowhere as well as by Apple devices.

Anyway, my initial question was only about that revolutionary new features that could show up that could be worth waiting ... and those I cannot see unless someone knows anything.

alligator34

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2010
Indiana
You usually can't even begin to start hazarding guesses until after the iphone announcements in the summer.

I mean, its possible that the next Touch will have teh dual-core A5 chips and more ram... but that would be about the only update I can think of that seems realistic at the moment.

Faster is always good, but the Touch ain't exactly slow as it stands. And I don't know how they'd handle the increased demand in battery without making it thicker (which isn't Apple's MO, they always go for thinner).

But, as I said, you can't even start to guess for SURE because Apple is generally so tight-lipped.

You can always buy it and if the update is what you want sell it. Apple stuff holds its value amazingly well.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Get it NOW!

Personally, I think the next iPod touch update won't be as significant as last year's...

Maybe an A5 and more RAM, and better camera...

But the current iPod touch is a far better device than the 3rd one IMO... ;)

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Hi,

Regardless of the upcoming update or not, is it worth to buy the ipod touch now or not? I meanm regardless of how soon the updates come, will they be significant enough to make it worth waiting?

What could there be? bigger volume? better cameras? I do not really know.

Thanks

Buy now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.