Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

longball11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
I have a black Macbook from 2007. I have been concerned lately about my macbook. I thought it was the internet acting up but i am unsure at this point if it is. I would open a website with or without videos and the beach ball would just go round and round. I would have to force close safari AND google chrome when i used it. I even tried to open system preferences and it would freeze. Now, I am unsure if it's the internet because I would use my parent's iMac that is a bit younger than my macbook and the videos and sites work fine. They do not crash.
I'm concerned because I cant get to what I want and there are important things on my computer that involve work including resume, etc.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Definitely make a backup immediately. It sounds like your hard drive may be dying, so I'd get all your important stuff off there as quickly as possible

movieboy23

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2007
I would echo what alust2013 said. Definitely sounds like a failing hard drive, so be sure to backup everything ASAP. Your best bet would be to boot the machine into Target Disk Mode and connect it via FireWire to a separate Mac, then run a terminal command to force the failing drive to copy all its contents to a separate drive. Instructions on how to do that can be found here.

After that, take it into an Apple Store and if the hard drive is indeed failing/gone, you can simply buy a new one and drag and drop your files from the backup after you've reinstalled the OS on the new drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.