PDA

View Full Version : [phones] Iphone or Android what type of person are you?

AndroidfoLife
Apr 3, 2011, 10:55 PM
No Bashing any of the OSes,(unless it's windows phone 7)
Android is not iOS and iOS is not Android.

They are two completely different OSs with some similarities and many differences. They both do some things better then the other. My way to base your decision would be to base it on what you want to be able to do and how good is your tech knowledge.

1. If you are a person who is frequently away from your primary computer then an Android would be better for you. Androids allow you to sync it with your google services over the air. It allows you to get on any computer and wirelessly sync your computer through the web browsers.

2. If you are a person who doesn't know how to manage your music. Then you should get an Iphone Itunes makes it much easier to manage the various Media things on your Iphone.

3. If you may want to use your phone as a flash drive, then you should get an Android. To allow you to have the flash drive option.

4. If you have a difficult time getting use to new things, Then I iPhone is better. The Iphone is really easy to learn compared to android. Don't get me wrong android is easy to learn just not up to the level as an Iphone.

5. Do you want to install third party apps not on the App-store/marketplace. Go android it allows you to install what ever you want on to your phone.

6. If you want multiple Accessories then go for the Iphone. The 30pin Connection is quite amazing and nearly universal in allowing people buy millions of different accessories.

7. Want to customize your phone you should get an android. Androids have much more personalization options then Iphones.

8. Are you a forgetful person always losing your phone. go with the Iphone with mobile me or get a Chain surgically attached to your arm that attaches to your phone.

*If you want to play games with your phone then well this one they both win.
The iOS has more gaming APPS(keyword being apps.) While android has access to far more games via emulators. So for casual games the iOS wins for more sit down and longer games then the Android wins

digitard
Apr 3, 2011, 10:57 PM
Mine is jailbroken so pretty much every Android argument is null and void. Also not to mention the whole "doesn't know how to manage your music" being something for iPhone.

No "well you don't have to do that w/ Android" argument, either. Because everyone always says "root your android phone" which is basically doing the same thing (for argumentative purposes).

I don't agree w/ this post at all. Sorry. Obviously trollin'. I mean... the username says enough.

zap2
Apr 3, 2011, 11:00 PM
Sorry, I know how to manage my music, I just choice to do so with iTunes as it syncs well with my media(and my choice of music player)

DoubleTwist works well with Android though.

Applejuiced
Apr 3, 2011, 11:08 PM
Well, judging by that we're at an iphone section I think most here are the "iphone type".
If they were the Android type they wouldnt bother posting and reading this area of the forum.

wordoflife
Apr 3, 2011, 11:15 PM
I think we should ask this on androidforums.com too
;)

I like them both, but would go with iOS over Android mainly because of the apps and integration with iTunes/iMovie. Plus, since I have AT&T and no plans of switching, I'd be limited to AT&T locked Androids :confused:

kendrickhphoto
Apr 3, 2011, 11:17 PM
Mine is jailbroken so pretty much every Android argument is null and void. Also not to mention the whole "doesn't know how to manage your music" being something for iPhone.

No "well you don't have to do that w/ Android" argument, either. Because everyone always says "root your android phone" which is basically doing the same thing (for argumentative purposes).

I don't agree w/ this post at all. Sorry. Obviously trollin'. I mean... the username says enough.

Not saying I agree with the post but there is one app that took me from being a 3 year iPhone user to Android and that was Tasker. Hands down that is the best and it works right out of the box no rooting or anything.

digitard
Apr 3, 2011, 11:25 PM
Not saying I agree with the post but there is one app that took me from being a 3 year iPhone user to Android and that was Tasker. Hands down that is the best and it works right out of the box no rooting or anything.

Sorry I was directing that towards the points in the OP. Not in general, but yeah poorly worded on my part.

Cool looking App, but don't need it personally.

I really dug Android but over time it's little things (and the lack of overall quality games/graphics intense applications compared to iOS) got to me. I was a power user on it, too, and had it rooted, overclocked and went through tons of custom ROM's. I converted over to an iDevice because of my iPad actually. I was using it more and more, and iOS grew on me from that.

Pink∆Floyd
Apr 3, 2011, 11:37 PM
I'm an iPhone person...I think :D

BigDukeSix
Apr 3, 2011, 11:46 PM
This is me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaxU0ut5tUw

LightSpeed1
Apr 3, 2011, 11:47 PM
iPhone all the way.

bizfox
Apr 3, 2011, 11:47 PM
I used to own some Android-based smartphones. Now that I have an iPhone 4, I prefer iOS over all of them. If I ever need additional features/apps/widgets later, I can always jailbreak, which is easy as pie. And I just love the polish and smoothness of the device's general UI and animations.

appleofmy"i"
Apr 4, 2011, 12:13 AM
Love iOS but im an Android person:D

iApples
Apr 4, 2011, 01:01 AM
Well, judging by that we're at an iphone section I think most here are the "iphone type".
If they were the Android type they wouldnt bother posting and reading this area of the forum.

I know seriously.. what do you expect to see... Pretty obvious to me. And then you'll get that one troll who will just start ripping on the iPhone for no reason. Gotta love em.

JohnBossu
Apr 4, 2011, 01:25 AM
you forget one more thing.

9. if you are a kind of person that like to talk about android, go to an android forum.

LIVEFRMNYC
Apr 4, 2011, 01:42 AM
This is me!

That was freaking hilarious!!!!

jimbo1mcm
Apr 4, 2011, 05:27 AM
Had a Droid X and loved it. If the IPhone gets voice input and missed call/text alerts, it would be much better. As it is, I still prefer it to the X.

awadeee
Apr 4, 2011, 05:27 AM
this is me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daxu0ut5tuw

lol!

testcard
Apr 4, 2011, 05:38 AM
http://www.csectioncomics.com/2010/11/iphone-vs-android-vs-blackberry.html

maflynn
Apr 4, 2011, 05:45 AM
I don't think you can narrow down the type a person is, with a simple list.

I've used both android and iOS and like both, yet I fit a number of categories for iOS.

Ultimately, it all boils down to personal preference. Do you like what android has to off, in terms of UI, marketplace and phone design? Do like what iOS has for features and/or the design of the phone.

Purchasing is more then a cold list, its an emotional buy because you like what you buy.

decafjava
Apr 4, 2011, 06:32 AM
I don't think you can narrow down the type a person is, with a simple list.

I've used both android and iOS and like both, yet I fit a number of categories for iOS.

Ultimately, it all boils down to personal preference. Do you like what android has to off, in terms of UI, marketplace and phone design? Do like what iOS has for features and/or the design of the phone.

Purchasing is more then a cold list, its an emotional buy because you like what you buy.

Oh stop with your common sense, non-fanboy posts. ;)

I agree with you, I mean I use windows 7 on my HP desktop, got a gmail account and an iphone and am happy with all 3 services/products.

maflynn
Apr 4, 2011, 06:45 AM
Oh stop with your common sense, non-fanboy posts. ;)
Sorry my objectivity started showing through on MR :p

I won't let it happen again.

b166er
Apr 4, 2011, 07:37 AM
I like android, but I agree with the fragmentation issues. I've been a big fan of iOS for a couple years now and I'm sticking with it until I have a huge reason not to.

From a marketing standpoint you have to hand it to Apple- they made iOS, and within a few years iOS was running on 4 different devices. They are getting the most out of their investment, and so is the consumer. You can buy an app and then run it on all your different iDevices without having to repurchase.

I think that iOS still needs some improvement, we've all been wanting a new notification system, etc. But I think that the benefits of iOS outweigh its shortcomings. Android is great, but it has spread too far too fast and it does not run so hot on many of the phones and tablets it's slapped on to. It's hitting the same roadblocks that windows did in the 90's. Everybody and their mother was making PC hardware and just slapping windows on it. And that blue screen of death still haunts me at night.

TruckdriverSean
Apr 4, 2011, 08:26 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've come to believe that the Android Vs. iOS debate is indicative of what I call the "Geek Vs. Consumer Disconnect".

Let's review. The OP stated you will like iOS if:

"...don't know how to..."
"...have a difficult time with..."
"...a forgetful person..."

IMHO, these characterizations represent NOT how the average consumer is, but how a Geek incorrectly perceives the average Consumer/iOS user to be.

In reality, I think the Consumer (who BTW represents probably 90% of the buyers of tech) is simply more interested in doing stuff than in how the stuff gets done under the hood. Looking at the Consumer as simply someone who "doesn't know" misses almost entirely the reason they don't know, or more precisely, the reason they don't care to know (or do it the hard way if they do know)

For example, my mom is an accountant. She's been using computers since before I was an itch in her belly. She used to work for the DOD an was using the Internet regularly before 99% of the population had even heard of it. Her desk at work has a multiple monitor setup so she can use more than one piece of software simultaneously as her needs dictate. Computer illiterate? Certainly not.

But she is NOT the type of person to help you set up your home wifi network, or encrypt your data, or help upgrade the RAM on your PC.

So my point is that choosing between iOS and Android isn't so much about what you do and don't know, but whether you prefer to get into the how part of doing stuff, Vs. just wanting to get stuff done.

Wicked1
Apr 4, 2011, 11:22 AM
Hello, I am an iPhone

dccorona
Apr 4, 2011, 12:26 PM

And how much do you actually even know about windows phone 7? How much time have you spent using it? you probably just think its "ugly" because you've never seen it in person. It is one of the best smartphone OSes out there, better than android and on par with iOS in terms of smoothness and ease of use IMO.

1. If you are a person who is frequently away from your primary computer then an Android would be better for you. Androids allow you to sync it with your google services over the air.

2. If you are a person who doesn't know how to manage your music. Then you should get an Iphone Itunes makes it much easier to manage the various Media things on your Iphone.

3. If you may want to use your phone as a flash drive, then you should get an Android. To allow you to have the flash drive option.

4. If you have a difficult time getting use to new things, Then I iPhone is better. The Iphone is really easy to learn compared to android. Don't get me wrong android is easy to learn just not up to the level as an Iphone.

8. Are you a forgetful person always losing your phone. go with the Iphone with mobile me or get a Chain surgically attached to your arm that attaches to your phone.

The iOS has more gaming APPS(keyword being apps.) While android has access to far more games via emulators. So for casual games the iOS wins for more sit down and longer games then the Android wins

considering ONLY stock iOS and stock android...

1. Because iOS doesn't do this...? Actually, all 3 major OSes allow this type of synchronization

2. Yes, iOS has better music management. You're clearly phrasing it in such a way as to imply that only idiots would benefit from this, however...

3. There are several (free) apps that allow the use of the iPhone as a flash drive

4. Once again, phrased in such a way as to try and make the obvious benefit of usability seem like it isn't really a benefit at all, since only people who "have trouble getting used to new things" will benefit from it...wrong

8. Yet again with the trollish phrasing...so MobileMe only benefits you if you are forgetful...everyone knows phones never get stolen, right?

and as for games...Android may allow for games through emulators, but since the controls aren't tailored for a touchscreen, I wouldn't call them good "sit down games" to play for long periods of time, since they're a pain to play on anything other than a sony ericsson xperia play...also, since android apps can't run in the Linux OS, and must run inside the Java shell that is android, iOS games are capable of leveraging system resources more effectivley.

DDustiNN
Apr 4, 2011, 12:35 PM

They are two completely different OSs with some similarities and many differences. They both do some things better then the other. My way to base your decision would be to base it on what you want to be able to do and how good is your tech knowledge.

1. If you are a person who is frequently away from your primary computer then an Android would be better for you. Androids allow you to sync it with your google services over the air. It allows you to get on any computer and wirelessly sync your computer through the web browsers.

5. Do you want to install third party apps not on the App-store/marketplace. Go android it allows you to install what ever you want on to your phone.

6. If you want multiple Accessories then go for the Iphone. The 30pin Connection is quite amazing and nearly universal in allowing people buy millions of different accessories.

7. Want to customize your phone you should get an android. Androids have much more personalization options then Iphones.

What are you talking about? My iPhone syncs (almost instantly) my Gmail, Contacts, and Calendar, just like my Android phone did.

And how is the 30-pin connector more "universal" than a USB (Universal Serial Bus) port?

This post is a waste of time.

dccorona
Apr 4, 2011, 12:41 PM
What are you talking about? My iPhone syncs (almost instantly) my Gmail, Contacts, and Calendar, just like my Android phone did.

And how is the 30-pin connector more "universal" than a USB (Universal Serial Bus) port?

This post is a waste of time.

because there are hundreds of accessories that utilize the 30 pin...car connection kits, clock radios...most people have at least one dock connector cable...only Apple devices have the port, but wherever you go you're bound to find an accessory thats more compatiable with iDevices than with devices with mini or micro USB connectors

ipxmbx
Apr 6, 2011, 07:02 AM
I'm a tech enthusiast, I like everything. It makes things interesting as one compares. Obviously some are better than others, it's all up to the individual.

maflynn
Apr 6, 2011, 07:13 AM
Most probably all person who is visiting this forum are iphone person.

Shocking - an iPhone forum's population is comprised of iPhone enthusiasts :eek: :p

Preaching to the choir, that's what this thread is doing for the most part.

With that said, there's a few of us that have had or currently have a non-iPhone phone. I moved from an iPhone to a Nexus One to a Droidx back to the iPhone.

I like a lot of what android has to offer, but I moved back to iOS in part because my company closed access to their servers for non iPhone, non blackberry devices. I miss some of what android has to offer, and I enjoy some of what iOS has to offer.

-aggie-
Apr 6, 2011, 07:16 AM
So, if I'm stupid, because I can't manage music and have a difficult time getting used to new things (cue old fart here who can't program a VCR or add contacts to a cell phone), and if I'm nearly senile, then I should get an iPhone.

Android is not iOS and iOS is not Android. Yeah, right.

maflynn
Apr 6, 2011, 07:20 AM
So, if I'm stupid, because I can't manage music and have a difficult time getting used to new things (cue old fart here who can't program a VCR or add contacts to a cell phone), and if I'm nearly senile, then I should get an iPhone.
That's the inverse of the argument that android is complicated, so then the iPhone is for people who cannot comprehend much of anything.

BlindMellon
Apr 6, 2011, 07:49 AM
That's the inverse of the argument that android is complicated, so then the iPhone is for people who cannot comprehend much of anything.

hey, if it's good enough for paris hilton....

7on
Apr 6, 2011, 01:56 PM
Been an Android user for a while, but I might jump the Android ship for WP7 or WebOS next year. I'm going to see how they shape up. :D

Hands down recommended the Samsung Focus for my dad. It was free on contract and Android would have been way too complicated for him.

Apple 26.2
Apr 6, 2011, 04:26 PM
iPhone.

Times 2.

Vizin
Apr 6, 2011, 05:14 PM

srf4real
Apr 6, 2011, 09:31 PM
If you got the Android phone first and loved it for three months until it began blatantly crashing and deleting contacts randomly and you didn't know which effing "third party" app you downloaded to cause this catastrophe so you just reset the phone and started all over.. at least three times - an iPhone is for you.;)

BigDukeSix
Apr 6, 2011, 09:57 PM
If you got the Android phone first and loved it for three months until it began blatantly crashing and deleting contacts randomly and you didn't know which effing "third party" app you downloaded to cause this catastrophe so you just reset the phone and started all over.. at least three times - an iPhone is for you.;)

Good one!!!:)

Huntn
Apr 7, 2011, 07:33 AM
This is me!

Great video Lol!

This exact thing (whatever android phone he had started screwing up) happened to my Son. He called tech support and was told to remove all of his apps to see if that fixed it. He ended up switching to an iPhone.

This is one of the definite advantages of iPhone over Android. Here (http://androidforums.com/android-applications/36936-how-safe-find-trusted-apps-avoid-viruses-guide-those-new-android.html) is an interesting read at the android forums for the procedures to 'protect' yourself from Android apps. In comparison, if you feel Apple is controlling, it can be argued the Android environment is the price of freedom. ;) I feel it is safe to say this is not something you have to worry about on your iPhone. This is one of the reasons I have traditionally shunned Windows (except when I'm playing games. :p) and it does give me pause to wonder why I'd want to put myself through that.

An analogy could be that the Android represents anarchy and Apple represents the benevolent dictatorship. ;) You just have to decide if the benefits outweigh the threats.

penfan82
Apr 7, 2011, 07:43 PM
Droid x for phone ....iPad for tablet

Lotso
Apr 7, 2011, 07:51 PM
Sorry, I know how to manage my music, I just choice to do so with iTunes as it syncs well with my media(and my choice of music player)

DoubleTwist works well with Android though.

This^

I dont know why people hate using iTunes so much. I keep my music 100% organized and I think it does it brillianty. Thats coming from someone who doesnt download from the iTunes store.

chris2k5
Apr 8, 2011, 02:43 PM
For me...

iOS Pros: So simple, eye candy transitions, smooth, hasn't crashed on me ever
iOS Cons: Is not as customizable as Android obviously

Android OS Pros: So many things you can customize, lots of devices
Android OS Cons: Unpolished OS, crashed on various devices, not as smooth

iHeartapple2
Apr 8, 2011, 02:53 PM
Kind of a stupid question to be asking in a forum full of Apple fans don't ya think? :rolleyes: I am and will always be a iPhone user.

chris2k5
Apr 8, 2011, 06:29 PM
Kind of a stupid question to be asking in a forum full of Apple fans don't ya think? :rolleyes: I am and will always be a iPhone user.

Yeah but it doesn't hurt to see what the other side offers right?

I honestly think if Android was polished and smooth and stable, it would be 100% better than iOS. But in reality, it is only 40% complete at best. It has lag issues, poor transitions, crashes...etc.

It just isn't super clean as iOS is.

6thSense
Jun 6, 2012, 10:12 AM
I'm a noob here, and I know this post is old. Just happened to stumble upon it searching for Android stuff.

I've been an iPhone fanboy for a while now. I had a buddy who swore by Android, so recently I put my bias aside and tried it. For a period of one month, I documented my journey with this new op including likes, dislikes, frustrations, etc. on my blog A 30 Day Tech Love Affair (http://marriedandwhatnot.wordpress.com/2012/05/01/benedict-android-a-30-day-tech-love-affair/).

After the end of 30 days, I have to give a SLIGHT advantage to Android. I think the aesthetics, layout & navigation of iOS is a lot better (and yes mine is jailbroken)...but as far as flexibility I feel Android still gives you more options. Not to mention I love Google drive, email, voice, etc and the integration with Google products is seamless.

Ultimately, it's hard to say definitively one is better than the other because it all boils down to your personal preference. But you have to respect Android for coming into a market saturated with iOS and creating their own niche. It reminds me of how PlayStation dominated the market, and XBOX came in and slowly took over by building a better online network experience.

--------------------

www.marriedandwhatnot.wordpress.com

emacna1
Jun 6, 2012, 10:16 AM
so recently I put my bias aside and tried it. For a period of one month

I find that most people who bash Android are ones who won't give it the light of day. Yeah if you play around with it for a few days you're going to be confused, uncomfortable, and hesitant. But if you give it time you'll come to find it is an excellent, well-polished OS.

It isn't entirely "people's" fault though. You can't really buy a phone, try it out decently, and then go back if you want to.

But like you said, it is entirely preference. iOS might work better for Person A while Android might work better for Person B.

6thSense
Jun 6, 2012, 10:21 AM
I find that most people who bash Android are ones who won't give it the light of day. Yeah if you play around with it for a few days you're going to be confused, uncomfortable, and hesitant. But if you give it time you'll come to find it is an excellent, well-polished OS.

It isn't entirely "people's" fault though. You can't really buy a phone, try it out decently, and then go back if you want to.

But like you said, it is entirely preference. iOS might work better for Person A while Android might work better for Person B.

Amen!! I used to be that way. I just swore by Apple without giving Android the time of day. But you have to respect it for its flexibility.

--------------------

www.marriedandwhatnot.wordpress.com

Darthdingo
Jun 6, 2012, 10:44 AM
I have to be blunt here, but anyone that is a fanboy of a particular brand is a ****ing tool, and sheep. I don't care if it's phones...clothes...cars...Modern society has become way too materialistic.

I see kids wearing "Guess" brand t-shirts with the name Guess in big letters written across the front, I ask them, did you get that t-shirt for free ? I mean you are advertising that brand for the company, they look at me weird and say no way, I paid $70 for this t-shirt, I just LOL, and think no ****ing clue.

Phones are the same too, at the end of the day the iPhone...Nexus...Windows-7 pretty much do the same thing, they all text your family and friends the same...you can send and read e-mails on all three...you can surf the web on all three...you can make phone calls on all three...you can play games on all three...watch YouTube videos on all three. People get too worked up in a brand name or OS, they all good in their own way, some years one is better than the other, but overall extremely similar.

M5RahuL
Jun 6, 2012, 11:05 AM
^^ Well said !! :)

sentinelsx
Jun 6, 2012, 11:26 AM

Why WP7? I understand it has its limitations but as an OS it is rock solid. Why the bashing?

If anything i would like it to come up as a solid 3rd competitor in the next one year with Apollo. I like the idea of baked in automatic syncing with windows 8 instead of a standalone client plus competition is nice always. And it is a closed source OS meaning it can avoid the pitfalls of android (with some non open limitations of its own ofcourse).

Darthdingo
Jun 6, 2012, 11:30 AM
Why WP7? I understand it has its limitations but as an OS it is rock solid. Why the bashing?

If anything i would like it to come up as a solid 3rd competitor in the next one year with Apollo. I like the idea of baked in automatic syncing with windows 8 instead of a standalone client plus competition is nice always. And it is a closed source OS meaning it can avoid the pitfalls of android (with some non open limitations of its own ofcourse).

I prefer Android right now today, but the upcoming Windows-8 phones could be a game changer, with 720p HD screens...multi-cores...better app store...I think the Nokia version will really surprise a lot of people, and I will remain open minded to them, for sure. Are there any leaks of those phones yet ? I am very interested in seeing the Nokia Windows-8 phone. Ok I found this;
http://mynokiablog.com/2012/05/26/rumors-nokia-windows-8-handsets-to-have-same-n9800900-form-factor/

Also the iPhone-Next with larger screen, and redone iOS might tempt me back to an iPhone again.

But will also wait to see what the Nexus-Four w/Android 5.0 jellybean brings to the table

sentinelsx
Jun 6, 2012, 11:42 AM
I prefer Android right now today, but the upcoming Windows-8 phones could be a game changer, with 720p HD screens...multi-cores...better app store...I think the Nokia version will really surprise a lot of people, and I will remain open minded to them, for sure. Are there any leaks of those phones yet ? I am very interested in seeing the Nokia Windows-8 phone. Ok I found this;
http://mynokiablog.com/2012/05/26/rumors-nokia-windows-8-handsets-to-have-same-n9800900-form-factor/

Also the iPhone-Next with larger screen, and redone iOS might tempt me back to an iPhone again.

But will also wait to see what the Nexus-Four w/Android 5.0 jellybean brings to the table

EH yeah i am hopeful MS will finally upgrade the maximum specs and also add more background functionality (maybe real time push notifications if you cannot run something constantly like ebuddy does on iOS?). Also better hardware ofcourse but more quality apps to take advantage of that hardware.

Android is ofcourse not going anywhere but i have been disappointed by the "choice" OEMs give us nowadays. Nexus = crap camera. HTC = not enough storage (sorry no cloud with data caps and international travel to places with limited internet, which i do). Samsung = pentile screens.....

Why can't an android OEM come up with decent camera, at least 32GB offered to North America, true HD screen (non-pentile) and decent battery all thrown in one package?

And they are surprised why apple still keeps selling their 3.5inch phones.....except for the screen size the customer is satisfied with everything else (multiple storage options, decent battery life even on iPhone 4S for me, good screen - yeah it is small but what can you do lol - good camera).

Had samsung put a decent cam in galaxy nexus my android hunt would have ceased a long time ago. I am still clinging to my iPhone however thanks to their shortchanging.

kdarling
Jun 6, 2012, 11:44 AM

Speaking of Tasker, check out the new Microsoft on{x} website (https://www.onx.ms)and Android application (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.onx.app).

It allows anyone with Javascript skills to set up tasks for and download the steps to their Android phone. For example, to automatically text your girl/boyfriend when you leave work.

Their recipes page (https://www.onx.ms/#recipesPage)gives preset examples.

See YouTube video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfLMTsIJsoo#!).

Pretty cool. And not even available for Windows Phone yet, AFAIK.

VulchR
Jun 6, 2012, 01:13 PM
Speaking of Tasker, check out the new Microsoft on{x} website (https://www.onx.ms)and Android application (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.onx.app).

It allows anyone with Javascript skills to set up tasks for and download the steps to their Android phone. For example, to automatically text your girl/boyfriend when you leave work.

Their recipes page (https://www.onx.ms/#recipesPage)gives preset examples.

See YouTube video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfLMTsIJsoo#!).

Pretty cool. And not even available for Windows Phone yet, AFAIK.

Looks interesting, but I wonder about security risks/viruses; what happens if you are out of reach of a network (presumably On{x} doesn't work); and how it affects battery life (does On{x} have to run in the foreground?). Still, this shows that MS is still capable of some creative solutions...

6thSense
Jun 6, 2012, 01:45 PM
I have to be blunt here, but anyone that is a fanboy of a particular brand is a ****ing tool, and sheep. I don't care if it's phones...clothes...cars...Modern society has become way too materialistic.

I see kids wearing "Guess" brand t-shirts with the name Guess in big letters written across the front, I ask them, did you get that t-shirt for free ? I mean you are advertising that brand for the company, they look at me weird and say no way, I paid $70 for this t-shirt, I just LOL, and think no ****ing clue.

Phones are the same too, at the end of the day the iPhone...Nexus...Windows-7 pretty much do the same thing, they all text your family and friends the same...you can send and read e-mails on all three...you can surf the web on all three...you can make phone calls on all three...you can play games on all three...watch YouTube videos on all three. People get too worked up in a brand name or OS, they all good in their own way, some years one is better than the other, but overall extremely similar.

Let me clarify darth since I assume that shot was for me. When I say 'fanboy' it was a term I used loosely to simply explain I was fond of. So don't try to go get digital courage and get all puffy. It's not that serious. People kill me getting all mannish on forums and via email hiding behind a pc.

Now I do agree that in this era people are too big on brands. There are people that buy Apple, Tommy, Figi Water, etc just for the namesake. I agree wholeheartedly that is foolish. But if you knew me and what I'm about, I am the farthest from that. If I say I'm a fan of something, it is because of the functionality and NOT the brand name. Speak on something you know about and stop speculating.

Further...for you to say they are the same pretty much categorizes yourself as a user. Yes they have the same base features to call, text, surf...it's a smartphone. But that's like saying an Infiniti and a Prius are the same thing because they're both vehicles. Yes they get you from point a to b, but they both function differently for different reasons. And depending on your use, you may need one over the other; thus consumer choice.

SurferMan
Jun 6, 2012, 02:00 PM
Had samsung put a decent cam in galaxy nexus my android hunt would have ceased a long time ago. I am still clinging to my iPhone however thanks to their shortchanging.I've never understood that either, why they stuck the Nexus, the flagship of devices and pure android experience, with a subpar cam. Makes no sense? I love the cams on my 4S and GSII, excellent (for a mobile device) and seeing the difference in quality of those two cams vs the Nexus is very noticeable.

Darthdingo
Jun 6, 2012, 02:23 PM
Let me clarify darth since I assume that shot was for me. When I say 'fanboy' it was a term I used loosely to simply explain I was fond of. So don't try to go get digital courage and get all puffy. It's not that serious. People kill me getting all mannish on forums and via email hiding behind a pc.

Now I do agree that in this era people are too big on brands. There are people that buy Apple, Tommy, Figi Water, etc just for the namesake. I agree wholeheartedly that is foolish. But if you knew me and what I'm about, I am the farthest from that. If I say I'm a fan of something, it is because of the functionality and NOT the brand name. Speak on something you know about and stop speculating.

Further...for you to say they are the same pretty much categorizes yourself as a user. Yes they have the same base features to call, text, surf...it's a smartphone. But that's like saying an Infiniti and a Prius are the same thing because they're both vehicles. Yes they get you from point a to b, but they both function differently for different reasons. And depending on your use, you may need one over the other; thus consumer choice.

What are you talking about ? My post was not towards you whatsoever, it was a general thought I always have over being a "fan" of a mass produced product.

I have same opinion on Fanboys of VideoCards, some swear by nVidia others love ATI. I have used and had both over the years, and think every couple of years nVidia is better, then it will switch to ATI having the better product. Right now you can't go wrong with either the nVidia GTX-680 or ATI 7970. Both are great VideoCards.

I consider the iPhone4S and Galaxy Nexus as the top of the line products offered by both Apple and Android. Similar in ways a BMW M5 over MB AMG, both very fast and great cars, just going at the 4 door performance car differently, but great in their own way.

My only beef with the iPhone lately is the small screen, and lack of customization and no Widgets. If the iPhone-Next offers a larger screen, and Widgets allowed through Jailbreak, I will be in line for the new iPhone.

But at the end of the day the 4S and Nexus pretty much do the same tasks, and both do it very well. Can't go wrong with either in my opinion. I just prefer the Nexus today, but that could change this Fall.

sentinelsx
Jun 7, 2012, 12:55 PM
I've never understood that either, why they stuck the Nexus, the flagship of devices and pure android experience, with a subpar cam. Makes no sense? I love the cams on my 4S and GSII, excellent (for a mobile device) and seeing the difference in quality of those two cams vs the Nexus is very noticeable.

Yup. Now if we were talking just internet proofs someone could have said no it has a very good cam. Now after actually testing it and having extremely poor performance pictures taken in anything not resembling a bright sunny day, i was apalled. I mean the GS2 came out 6 months earlier and had a much better camera sensor in it. Couldn't samsung just put that in the nexus instead? Who cares about zero shutter lag if your cam takes horrible pics to start with?

That's the "choice" given to us by the OEMs that makes you realize that apple and android OEMs all are the same, intentionally taking out one or two things to make your look for the next big thing always. In the long run you just have to settle for what works for you.

B777Forevar
Jun 7, 2012, 01:41 PM
I'm both a Android and iPhone person.

I love both OS.

cynics
Jun 7, 2012, 01:52 PM
I have and use both. Razr with gingerbread soon to get ICS. A Xoom LTE with ICS. A ipad 2 and iPhone 4S with iOS 5 obviously.

I use the 4S and Xoom the most. Love both of them.

mrsir2009
Jun 7, 2012, 01:54 PM
Well it's obvious you'll get many more votes for iPhone, since this is the iPhone section of an Apple forum...

DroidConvert
Jun 7, 2012, 02:11 PM
I was an Android owner since the day it was released on Verizon. I bought an Eris (it was a POS) and then traded up to an Incredible. I had that phone until the Razr came out and owned a Razr until a few weeks ago.

A couple of things made me switch but what really disapoointed me most was Moto releasing the Maxx a few months after releasing the Razr. To get a phone out that fast it was obviously in the pipeline for quite some time and Moto knew of the Razr's terrible battery life yet pushed it out anyway. The word of the Razr HD hit and that put me over the edge. I decided to see it while I could still get something for it, and I got a 32 GB 4s.

Fragmentation (hardware and software) was becoming an issue and that, along with Verizon's (most likely) move to push unlimited data owners into tiered data when you buy a phon at Verizon's subsidized price, gave me the impetus to make the change. With the re-sale value of iPhones as high as it is, this was the best move for me going forward. Selling an Android after a year or so would net me next to nothing whereas selling an iPhone would permit me to defray some of the cost of buying an unsubsidized phone from Verizon.

There are some things I miss on Android but there is alot to like about iOS. As I have stated several times in other posts, I don't think one is "better" than the other, they are different and fulfill different needs for different people. The one thing I am learning though is that once I jailbreak, I'll be able to have almost all of the features I miss most about Android, and the benefits of iOS, all in one phone.

chokem
Jun 7, 2012, 02:39 PM
iOS for sure. I've had all the other platforms except WM. They all pale in comparison to iOS. In MY opinion.

Sital
Jun 7, 2012, 03:42 PM
Can we please let a pointless thread that should never have been resurrected, die? (After this post, of course :p)

b24pgg
Jun 7, 2012, 03:58 PM
Mine is jailbroken so pretty much every Android argument is null and void.
Really?

Can you get 4G LTE on your iPhone?
Can you get widgets or custom status bar indicators?
Do you have access to free Google Navigation?
Do you have the ability to change default programs/choose from multiple programs to perform a task?
Do custom fields in contacts sync properly when using Exchange on the iPhone?
Does the iPhone have an LED notification light?
Does the iPhone allow seamless app integration or integration via the sharing API?

dejo
Jun 7, 2012, 04:06 PM

Yes, it does (http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-make-iphone-camera-led-notifications-work-complete-guide/).

b24pgg
Jun 7, 2012, 04:15 PM
Yes, it does (http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-make-iphone-camera-led-notifications-work-complete-guide/).
Camera flash ≠ notification light. It doesn't repeat, it doesn't flash for texts/messages from other apps, and it isn't on the front face of the phone. If your phone is face up, the camera flash going off is totally useless.

dejo
Jun 7, 2012, 04:23 PM
Camera flash ≠ notification light. It doesn't repeat, it doesn't flash for texts/messages from other apps, and it isn't on the front face of the phone. If your phone is face up, the camera flash going off is totally useless.

Maybe you should've said:

Does the iPhone have an LED notification light, that is on the front face, repeats, and flashes for texts/message from other apps?

instead.

sixteen12
Jun 7, 2012, 04:35 PM
Really?

Can you get 4G LTE on your iPhone?
Can you get widgets or custom status bar indicators?
Do you have access to free Google Navigation?
Do you have the ability to change default programs/choose from multiple programs to perform a task?
Do custom fields in contacts sync properly when using Exchange on the iPhone?
Does the iPhone allow seamless app integration or integration via the sharing API?

Nope but neither can my SGSII. The SGSIII can and the new iPhone likely will be able too as well. Moot point.
Nope, if you like these things point Android. The one I used the most was the music widget in the pull down drawer. iOS has that.
No, but in Canada native Google Navigation sucks hard. It can't pronouce french words, often refers to roads as their highway, regional road number. Its pretty bizarre being told to turn left on Regional Road 1 (known to everybody else in the world as Yonge Street) Waze is better for this IMHO.
Sure, depending on the task, but yeah. Open an item from Dropbox, gives you options. Not quite the same as Android, but honestly I find that more annoying than anything else. I always checked "Use as default" so it would stop. Every time I dialed a number I don't want to see "Would you like to complete this using Dialer; Google Dialer; Samsing Dialer; Skype; Google Voice; Google Talk; etc. If i wanted to use a different app I would have started dialing in that app!
In my experience, yes. Your results may vary?
It doesn't and that's fine. I don't hate them, but I don't care either. With my Android phones I think maybe 1/3 had them?
No, this is a definite plus of the Android system.

I'm not trying to knock Android but this is my experience with it.

lordofthereef
Jun 7, 2012, 04:42 PM

This can be done on iOS as well, you just need to use an app. If you use Safari, it will be built into iOS6.

Your choice of words is interesting here. Does Android do music BETTER in some way than iOS does? I don't feel that those using iOS must not know how to manage their music to be wanting to use the service. Plus, with services like Google Music, Pandora, etc. iOS and Android are basically exactly on par with one another. The only difference is no drag and drop on iOS. That's a bummer to me still, but that doesn't mean I don't know how to manage music.

This I completely agree with.

I feel like Android doesn't really have much of a learning curve, except for the different skins and overlays that various manufacturers place on it (Touchwiz, Blur, Sense, etc.) Android really is very similar to iOS in terms of web browsing, installing apps, running apps, etc.

We have jailbreak, for those that care a whole lot about this, but I agree. Apple's stance on third party applications is down right anti-competitive no matter what their reasoning is.

This I agree with. But this isn't limited to 30-pin connector accessories. Let's not forget the plethora of cases, gamepads, etc. made specifically for the iPhone.

I think the person that cares about this is the same person that jailbreaks. The average Joe Android user likely leaves their OS bone stock. The same goes for iOS. Would the option on iOS be nice? You bet. But I have been jailbreaking and customizing iOS since the original iPhone. The scene isn't going anywhere.

Are you referring to find my iPhone? Various Android devices have similar features as well. Admittedly it isn't ubiquitous though.

I am a little confused here. Are we talking about emulators from an official store? If so, I see where you are coming from. For those that jailbreak, however, the sky is the limit with emu options on iOS. This is understandable. What is an emu anyway? It's a means to play pirated games. Their legitimacy is questionable at best. While the software may be completely legal, the roms that you load on them are not.

astrorider
Jun 7, 2012, 04:59 PM
9.) If you visit device forums for devices you don't own and attempt to belittle their users because it helps reaffirm your decisions and self-worth, you're just a ______

b24pgg
Jun 7, 2012, 09:44 PM
Maybe you should've said:

Does the iPhone have an LED notification light, that is on the front face, repeats, and flashes for texts/message from other apps?

instead.
Well that's what a notification light is. You can't just take a camera flash and call it whatever you want.

Sir Ruben
Jun 8, 2012, 04:24 AM
Ahahaha well done OP I see what you did there, because reading through your plus points for each you have (not so stealthily) tried to make Android sound great whilst at the same time your 'plus points' for IOS are really thinly disguised attempts at making it sound like IOS is for non tech savvy people.

Anyway you achieved your goal, another android post, another willy waving contest. You must be proud (and at the same time very bored) lol

Leet Apple
Jun 8, 2012, 07:03 AM
Not to sure i think I'm an iPhone kinda guy...:p

dejo
Jun 8, 2012, 09:34 AM
Well that's what a notification light is. You can't just take a camera flash and call it whatever you want.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize that "notification light" was a standard definition and wasn't able to find any such definition on the internet.

b24pgg
Jun 8, 2012, 09:48 AM
I'm sorry. I didn't realize that "notification light" was a standard definition and wasn't able to find any such definition on the internet.
It's common sense, really

DroidConvert
Jun 8, 2012, 09:50 AM

And I bet your phone doesn't have a little green guy and can't shout "DROID" when it boots up. Just another thing that the iOS can't do! :eek:

emacna1
Jun 8, 2012, 09:54 AM
And I bet your phone doesn't have a little green guy and can't shout "DROID" when it boots up. Just another thing that the iOS can't do! :eek:

You do understand that Droid and everything related to that is part of a Verizon marketing program, right?

Droid ≠ Android

DroidConvert
Jun 8, 2012, 09:56 AM
You do understand that Droid and everything related to that is part of a Verizon marketing program, right?

Droid ≠ Android

You do understand that I was joking, right? It's in response to what's going on in this thread.

emacna1
Jun 8, 2012, 09:58 AM
You do understand that I was joking, right? It's in response to what's going on in this thread.

Whoever was arguing against the iPhone "notification" has/d a valid argument. Not sure why your sarcastic comment was necessary.

DroidConvert
Jun 8, 2012, 09:59 AM
whoever was arguing against the iphone "notification" has/d a valid argument. Not sure why your sarcastic comment was necessary.

It was a JOKE! Perhaps you should be more concerned about the trolling going on than members here making a joke.

Apple4Ever&Ever
Jun 8, 2012, 10:02 AM
All cool people using iphone at school. :cool:
Becasue all cool kids have them. :D

dejo
Jun 8, 2012, 10:18 AM
It's common sense, really

Do you have a source to backup your claim of that definition? If not, I'll just have to consider it your opinion.

Darthdingo
Jun 8, 2012, 10:30 AM
Notification LED is a must on the iPhone-next. I love it on my Galaxy Nexus, and also had it on my Galaxy SII...EVO 4G...Nexus-One. Such a simple feature, but extremely useful.

bruinsrme
Jun 8, 2012, 10:35 AM
after seeing the larger screens on androids I am waiting to see what the next iphone has to offer. If the screen isn't to my liking, android will come into play. For me at least its about functionality more so than brand

seanpercival01
Jun 8, 2012, 12:49 PM

I am an iPhone person and always.