PDA

View Full Version : Lion + Steam = No (Update: YES) (Update 2: YES AGAIN)

rmbrown09
Apr 4, 2011, 01:23 AM
Update Post:

Thanks to stevemr123
Steps to get Steam working on Lion 10.7
don't be scared

TRY JUST THIS FIRST!!
rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/.crash

ok so you're like man Lion is sweet, but Steam doesn't work. It just launches and hangs there bouncing forever in the dock.
Have NO FEAR!11!!!one!

Step 1: This will unhide your library folder so you can get to the Steam folder (we need to delete it)
http://cl.ly/0E0b290P1V0A1h2f3I2N/Screen_Shot_2011-04-07_at_2.32.35_PM.png

Step 2: Follow the path like so. Delete the whole Steam folder, that's what it took for me. (WARNING: You will lose all your downloaded games, so it will be download central for you after)
http://cl.ly/3q1l0p3N1K2m0v3T362j/Screen_Shot_2011-04-07_at_2.33.57_PM.jpg

Step 4: Open Steam back up, Voila
http://cl.ly/2Y322G3K29223u3v2C1k/Screen_Shot_2011-04-07_at_2.36.52_PM.png

roadbloc
Apr 4, 2011, 04:00 AM
Just wait for Valve to fix it. Since this Valve we are on about, it is guaranteed to be late. Go back to Snow Leopard or play something else in the time being.

Alaerian
Apr 4, 2011, 04:02 AM
See definition of "Valve Time"

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time

mrsir2009
Apr 4, 2011, 01:47 PM
And valve will only fix it when Lion is released to the public - They're not going to fix steam for Lion now so that a few people with dev previews can use it :rolleyes:

rmbrown09
Apr 4, 2011, 02:03 PM
And valve will only fix it when Lion is released to the public - They're not going to fix steam for Lion now so that a few people with dev previews can use it :rolleyes:

I guess I don't understand what Lion would do to break Steam.

Tharian
Apr 4, 2011, 03:03 PM
It was working for me on preview 1. At least, I downloaded and installed Steam, and then downloaded and played Civ 4.

I haven't tried it in preview 2 yet.

-d

edit: Ah, I think you meant you can't play online with Steam. I didn't try that so I suppose you can disregard my testimony.

rmbrown09
Apr 4, 2011, 05:10 PM
It was working for me on preview 1. At least, I downloaded and installed Steam, and then downloaded and played Civ 4.

I haven't tried it in preview 2 yet.

-d

edit: Ah, I think you meant you can't play online with Steam. I didn't try that so I suppose you can disregard my testimony.

Yea try it with two. I am going to reinstall it one more time and see what happens, it was very strange however that the first time Lion booted after it installed, Steam changed to auto start at login.

roadbloc
Apr 4, 2011, 05:18 PM
I guess I don't understand what Lion would do to break Steam.
I sense that you're not a developer then. Meaning you have bought the Developer Preview for consumer use. Which is a rather daft thing to do.

rmbrown09
Apr 4, 2011, 05:25 PM
I sense that you're not a developer then. Meaning you have bought the Developer Preview for consumer use. Which is a rather daft thing to do.

I am a freshman in college in computer science. No I am not.

Tharian
Apr 4, 2011, 06:32 PM

Why all the scolding? Does his downloading the preview affect you in any way?

E-thugs are my favorite kind of thug! Because they're all so big, bad and scary :roll eyes:

-d

roadbloc
Apr 4, 2011, 07:06 PM
I'm hardly bullying. I just don't see the attraction for paying for buggy previews if you have no reason to use them. If it was free, then yeah, why not if you have an afternoon free and a burning curiosity to try out an early version of Lion. But to pay for something which causes nothing but computer use headaches? I don't get it.

Each to their own I guess.

rmbrown09
Apr 4, 2011, 10:30 PM
I'm hardly bullying. I just don't see the attraction for paying for buggy previews if you have no reason to use them. If it was free, then yeah, why not if you have an afternoon free and a burning curiosity to try out an early version of Lion. But to pay for something which causes nothing but computer use headaches? I don't get it.

Each to their own I guess.

If it makes you feel better I didn't pay for it.

mrsir2009
Apr 4, 2011, 11:13 PM
If it makes you feel better I didn't pay for it.

Pirate!

rmbrown09
Apr 4, 2011, 11:49 PM
Pirate!

Could be, could be a family member paid for my dev account:rolleyes:

Let's Sekuhara!
Apr 5, 2011, 01:56 AM
Steam never worked for me anyway, past the first month or so of its release for Mac.

Just keeps saying "Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again."

Since Steam offers no phone number or email for support it's been this way for ages. I've just given up and become a bitter anti-Steam-ist. I'm hoping the Mac App Store will crush it out of existence.

roadbloc
Apr 5, 2011, 01:58 AM
Uhuh.

rmbrown09
Apr 5, 2011, 12:40 PM
Steam never worked for me anyway, past the first month or so of its release for Mac.

Just keeps saying "Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again."

Since Steam offers no phone number or email for support it's been this way for ages. I've just given up and become a bitter anti-Steam-ist. I'm hoping the Mac App Store will crush it out of existence.

Don't think that will ever happen. HL2, TF2, Portal and CSS are all Valve games that I'm sure they would never make available in the app store. Those 4 games alone will keep Steam for Mac alive.

roadbloc
Apr 5, 2011, 12:43 PM
Don't think that will ever happen. HL2, TF2, Portal and CSS are all Valve games that I'm sure they would never make available in the app store. Those 4 games alone will keep Steam for Mac alive.

Unfortunately I +1 this. Steam was a godsend when it first came to Mac, but quickly became sour when porting houses boycotted it. I think the Mac App Store will easily win Steam, but Steam will still and always be needed for Valve games.

maflynn
Apr 5, 2011, 12:46 PM

That's still piracy.

mrsir2009
Apr 5, 2011, 01:56 PM
Unfortunately I +1 this. Steam was a godsend when it first came to Mac, but quickly became sour when porting houses boycotted it. I think the Mac App Store will easily win Steam, but Steam will still and always be needed for Valve games.

I like steam for my games better than the app store for the game management and social facilities :D

NameUndecided
Apr 5, 2011, 02:08 PM
That's still piracy.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how accepting a gift of sorts from somebody would add up to being a pirate.

An effort to keep on topic: I'm not much of a gamer at all, but all of this talk is making me want to try out Steam (for Snow Leopard, for the time being, I guess). Also, I started trying OnLive streaming gaming a few months ago and I've been really impressed about that. Last I tried, it was working for me in Lion. I personally think that there's enormous possibility in that kind of service (OnLive) and I hope that it takes off and becomes more popular and continues to improve and all of that.

Mackilroy
Apr 5, 2011, 05:22 PM
Not going to happen, and that's for the better. Steam offers better prices (especially for Americans, and even moreso when there's large sales), a unified interface for communicating with friends and playing games with them, and for some games there's Steamplay, which is quite nice.

I guess you never bothered checking Steam's forums (and you're wrong, I've emailed them for support before) for help, eh?
As far as Steam under 10.7 goes, I'd wait until Apple officially releases Lion to try. Less buggy, real support, and who knows what else.

stevemr123
Apr 6, 2011, 07:14 AM
Steam hangs frequently, especially if you put it into background. When Steam is in the foreground, and periodically I click on something, it does not hang. When it hangs however, it cannot be restarted, the Steam icon only goes on bouncing forever. There is no any log entry in steam.log indicating any problem though.

Here is what I do if Steam hangs:

1. Go to ~/Library/Steam (/Users/USER/Library/Steam)
2. Copy the SteamApps folder (which contains the downloaded games) to the Desktop
3. Purge the contents of the Steam folder entirely
4. Copy back the SteamApps folder
5. Restart Steam

After restarting steam, I have to enter my username+pass, and accept the confirmation email. Then Steam runs an integrity check on the SteamApps folder, and syncs the savegames from the cloud, and bing, I can play again.

If Steam hangs during downloading a game, the same procedure can be done, Steam verifies the partially downloaded files, and continues downloading.

Valve games (like Portal) work perfectly in Steam, but some of my third party games (like World of Goo, VVVVV) crash upon launch.

rmbrown09
Apr 7, 2011, 04:20 PM
Steam hangs frequently, especially if you put it into background. When Steam is in the foreground, and periodically I click on something, it does not hang. When it hangs however, it cannot be restarted, the Steam icon only goes on bouncing forever. There is no any log entry in steam.log indicating any problem though.

Here is what I do if Steam hangs:

1. Go to ~/Library/Steam (/Users/USER/Library/Steam)
2. Copy the SteamApps folder (which contains the downloaded games) to the Desktop
3. Purge the contents of the Steam folder entirely
4. Copy back the SteamApps folder
5. Restart Steam

After restarting steam, I have to enter my username+pass, and accept the confirmation email. Then Steam runs an integrity check on the SteamApps folder, and syncs the savegames from the cloud, and bing, I can play again.

If Steam hangs during downloading a game, the same procedure can be done, Steam verifies the partially downloaded files, and continues downloading.

Valve games (like Portal) work perfectly in Steam, but some of my third party games (like World of Goo, VVVVV) crash upon launch.

This is on Lion this works?
Edit:
yes this works.

New computer so SteamGuard kicks in.
http://cl.ly/0M3b0W2f2P2k0b2m3i3Q/Screen_Shot_2011-04-07_at_2.23.15_PM.png

And voila:

http://cl.ly/0a1M1J2W1O3w2h3R3O2U/Screen_Shot_2011-04-07_at_2.24.02_PM.png

mrsir2009
Apr 7, 2011, 10:51 PM
Not going to happen, and that's for the better. Steam offers better prices (especially for Americans, and even moreso when there's large sales), a unified interface for communicating with friends and playing games with them, and for some games there's Steamplay, which is quite nice.

I guess you never bothered checking Steam's forums (and you're wrong, I've emailed them for support before) for help, eh?
As far as Steam under 10.7 goes, I'd wait until Apple officially releases Lion to try. Less buggy, real support, and who knows what else.

Yes, the app store apps are monstrously overpriced - Apple should drop the prices to make it more popular.

stevemr123
Apr 8, 2011, 04:02 PM
This is on Lion this works?
Edit:
yes this works.

New computer so SteamGuard kicks in.
http://cl.ly/0M3b0W2f2P2k0b2m3i3Q/Screen_Shot_2011-04-07_at_2.23.15_PM.png

And voila:

http://cl.ly/0a1M1J2W1O3w2h3R3O2U/Screen_Shot_2011-04-07_at_2.24.02_PM.png

If you backup the SteamApps folder (which contains the downloaded games) inside the ~/Library/Steam folder before deleting, and copy it back, you don't have to redownload all your stuff.

climberfx
Apr 8, 2011, 04:08 PM
Maybe the problem is the remove of samba from Lion. This may generate the problems, because steam is originally (and games) made for Windows and may have using smb or something like it! I do not have skills to install Samba for a try but if anyone can do it and then tell us, i appreciate!

stevemr123
Apr 13, 2011, 03:33 PM
Maybe the problem is the remove of samba from Lion. This may generate the problems, because steam is originally (and games) made for Windows and may have using smb or something like it! I do not have skills to install Samba for a try but if anyone can do it and then tell us, i appreciate!

It has nothing to do with samba. I figured out that you have to issue a simple command in Terminal to fix Steam if it does not want to restart after a freeze (forever bouncing Dock icon symptom):

rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/.crash

Thats it. Steam works perfectly. You don't have to redownload anything.

rmbrown09
Apr 14, 2011, 03:02 PM
HL2 runs great on my Air.
40-90 FPS
(outside,inside)

http://cl.ly/121N1c04103N2m3z1o2F/Screen_Shot_2011-04-14_at_12.51.21_PM.png

nfora
Apr 16, 2011, 02:21 PM
The previously posted fix worked for me to get Steam to run, however CIV5 crashes every time I try to play it. Probably an issue Aspyr needs to fix.

DaveIsMe
Apr 20, 2011, 08:42 AM
I've managed to get Steam running under Lion Preview 2 but trying to run Portal 2 causes the whole of steam to freeze. Anyone had any luck?

emonifi
Apr 20, 2011, 12:03 PM
Im having the same problems with portal 2. It crashes on the steam loading screen that pops up after clicking play.

stevemr123
Apr 21, 2011, 07:11 AM
Yeah, Portal 2 doesn't even start under Lion. Had to install 10.6.7 on a separate partition to play. Great game though.

Kyahx
Apr 21, 2011, 09:51 PM
The problem is that Steam is failing an assertion when trying to launch:

4/21/11 9:32:15.328 PM [0x0-0x54054].com.valvesoftware.steam: installscript_posix.cpp (144) : Assertion Failed: Failed on chmod action (appID 620)

I managed to get Portal 2 to work by deleting the "installscript_osx.vdf" file and chmod'ing the files manually.

cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/portal\ 2/
chmod 755 portal2_osx
chmod 755 portal2.sh
rm installscript_osx.vdf

After that the game launched fine :)

Update: It seems I spoke too soon :( This will let the game launch, but it freezes again about half way through loading a map.

4/21/11 10:13:08.236 PM [0x0-0x191191].com.valvesoftware.steam: Assert( Assertion Failed: couldn't find entrypoint 'GetBaseUserDir' ):/Users/rackadmin/buildslave/steam_rel_client_osx/build/src/clientdll/../common/steamservice.cpp:59

Ampidire
Apr 22, 2011, 03:01 PM
It's too bad to hear that Portal 2 isn't working out, I have it on my PC already and have beaten it but use my MBP as a LAN machine and some on the go Portal 2 would be great.

I'm sure it'll work eventually.

forcenine
Apr 22, 2011, 03:19 PM
There's quite a lot of games that just don't work in 10.7 via Steam, I'm finding. Any UnityEngine game crashes on launch, for starters.

In time, I guess Steam will improve though :)

DeaconGraves
Apr 22, 2011, 03:24 PM
It's too bad to hear that Portal 2 isn't working out, I have it on my PC already and have beaten it but use my MBP as a LAN machine and some on the go Portal 2 would be great.

I'm sure it'll work eventually.

Just to clarify, Portal 2 works fine in Snow Leopard. (and it is awesome) :)

CristobalHuet
Apr 22, 2011, 06:30 PM
So I tried both fixes (deleting the log file and recreating the Steam directory) and no dice today. Hang upon hang on launch, gets to the "Connecting [user] to Steam" window and beach balls right there. :(

May have to get a Snow Leopard partition back on here.

superericla
Apr 22, 2011, 06:50 PM
Steam no longer works for me suddenly. I've tried both fixes to no avail.

CristobalHuet
Apr 22, 2011, 10:42 PM
Steam no longer works for me suddenly. I've tried both fixes to no avail.

Same. :(

forcenine
Apr 23, 2011, 01:19 AM
Mine too ;( tried the terminal cmd to no avail :(

rmbrown09
Apr 23, 2011, 01:22 PM
Mine has stopped working as well. I don't know what happened but I think it was after the Preview 2 update1?

bomjkolyadun
Apr 24, 2011, 04:27 AM
Same here.
Steam hangs on login.
Console output:
24.04.11 12:17:38,343 [0x0-0xfc0fc].com.valvesoftware.steam: SteamCache.cpp (379) : Assertion Failed: SteamCaches().UpdateCaches failed to update cache 1510
24.04.11 12:17:38,343 [0x0-0xfc0fc].com.valvesoftware.steam: Assert( Assertion Failed: SteamCaches().UpdateCaches failed to update cache 1510 ):/Users/rackadmin/buildslave/steam_rel_client_osx/build/src/steamUI/SteamCache.cpp:379

Ramy
Apr 24, 2011, 06:12 AM
Same here.
Steam hangs on login.
Console output:
24.04.11 12:17:38,343 [0x0-0xfc0fc].com.valvesoftware.steam: SteamCache.cpp (379) : Assertion Failed: SteamCaches().UpdateCaches failed to update cache 1510
24.04.11 12:17:38,343 [0x0-0xfc0fc].com.valvesoftware.steam: Assert( Assertion Failed: SteamCaches().UpdateCaches failed to update cache 1510 ):/Users/rackadmin/buildslave/steam_rel_client_osx/build/src/steamUI/SteamCache.cpp:379

Same here.

Two days ago Steam and Portal 2 worked great after a small update. But now it stopped working.

Heinekev
Apr 24, 2011, 06:36 AM
Broken for me... cleaning out the Application Support folder let's me re-enter my login info and reconfirm with SteamGuard, but then it hangs at Connecting Steam Accountt

forcenine
Apr 24, 2011, 10:20 AM
Broken for me... cleaning out the Application Support folder let's me re-enter my login info and reconfirm with SteamGuard, but then it hangs at Connecting Steam Accountt

Yeah, I've been looking in Console for more info...so many errors...done the same as you to no avail. Sigh.

Ampidire
Apr 25, 2011, 07:39 PM
Mine is broken now again as well, no manner of fixes will return functionality, I can get to connecting to steam and then it hangs, as reported above.

Here Valve employee JoeR reports he will be working on this known bug this week.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1859405

forcenine
Apr 25, 2011, 08:04 PM
Good find, Ampidire. Hopefully by next week we'll be using Steam again...

rmbrown09
Apr 26, 2011, 03:21 AM
Just like JoeR said, it seems the issue has been fixed. I just fired up Steam and it works great. Give it a shot.

Edit: :( well Steam was working fine, I was downloading Portal and then a box popped up to restart Steam because it had an update. I did that and now Steam is bouncing in the dock.

DONT UPDATE

Update 2:
Run the Terminal command in the OP, fixes the issue.

forcenine
Apr 26, 2011, 04:24 AM
Just like JoeR said, it seems the issue has been fixed. I just fired up Steam and it works great. Give it a shot.

Edit: :( well Steam was working fine, I was downloading Portal and then a box popped up to restart Steam because it had an update. I did that and now Steam is bouncing in the dock.

DONT UPDATE

Update 2:
Run the Terminal command in the OP, fixes the issue.

Thanks for the heads up. Can confirm it's working for me, but I haven't as yet been prompted to update, and will prob. refuse it for now...

rmbrown09
Apr 26, 2011, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Can confirm it's working for me, but I haven't as yet been prompted to update, and will prob. refuse it for now...

what was bizarre about the Steam update was that it had no description for what the update brought. It was an empty box in the description part. But it restarted none the less (After the update installer ran) and then bounced away. Ran the Terminal command and that fixed everything though, I would say go ahead and grab that update.

emonifi
Apr 26, 2011, 01:18 PM
I have a crash and i want to see if others can reproduce it. In steam go to
help->system information

my steam crashes here.

stevemr123
Apr 29, 2011, 03:26 PM
Steam still does not work by default with the latest Lion update (11A444d).

There is a permanent fix however that will let you run Steam under Lion, including Portal 2 without problems:

1. Quit Steam
2. Go to /Applications/Steam
3. Do a "Show Package Contents"
4. Navigate to Contents/MacOS/Frameworks
5. Rename the Breakpad.framework to Breakpad.framework.x
6. Do a "Get Info" on Contents/MacOS/Frameworks
7. In the Sharing & Permissions section change everyone to "No Access", and all other entries to "Read only"
8. Launch Steam, wait until it updates, restarts and reconnects automatically

This process will eliminate the need to run the terminal command periodically (.crash file removal) and will let you play Portal 2 as well under Lion.

Good luck!

(credit for this tip goes to J and Z)

mkhll
Apr 29, 2011, 06:43 PM
Just to confirm @stevemr123's fix does work for steam and more importantly Portal 2.

Thanks a million!

Blakeasd
Apr 29, 2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks @stevemr123

Varigon
May 5, 2011, 07:23 PM
Can't get my beloved Bejeweled 3 to work under Lion. Anyone had any luck running it?

snowbeavers77
Sep 23, 2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks to stevemr123! It works beautifully now!

mrsir2009
Sep 24, 2011, 12:11 AM
Steam is fine for me.

an0nymity
Nov 5, 2011, 12:34 AM
Does anyone's Steam update more than once a day? Mine is up to date but it keeps saying there's an update.

buckers
Nov 5, 2011, 04:09 PM
Does anyone's Steam update more than once a day? Mine is up to date but it keeps saying there's an update.

Mine keeps thanking me for using the beta :rolleyes:

llirik
Nov 28, 2011, 02:03 PM
sooooooooo,

my steam seems to be broken beyond any sort of repair. I've just tried literally everything that comes up anywhere online for the last 2 hours, with no success. But the game was working fine earlier today.

I'v even deleted every single instance of steam on the computer, literally everything and tried fresh install. still no luck.

In console, the errors I keep seeing are:

"failed to load Steam Service"
"ServiceStart: failed to start"
"Errors in resource/styles/steam.styles"
"Unknown key 'visible' set in style 'html-findbar' in file 'resource/styles/steam.styles'"
"Unable to create bundle with URL /Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/osx32/steam"

I've searched for all of those, and tried anything and everything that comes up, and still no luck.

I get to "Connecting Steam account: [account]..." and then it freezes and just spins indefintely. the last thing i see in consol is
"SteamID: #########, universe Public" 3 times, and then nothing. doesn't go after this point.

Help, anyone??

----------

okay.... this is the weirdest thing now... after i posted that, i went to steams forums to post about it.... and after logging in, steam opened!

on console though, i stilll get the failed to lead Steam service, as well as now failing to connect. is it possible something was wrong with my account that SOMEHOW was crashing everything?

Michaelgtrusa
Nov 28, 2011, 02:12 PM
sooooooooo,

my steam seems to be broken beyond any sort of repair. I've just tried literally everything that comes up anywhere online for the last 2 hours, with no success. But the game was working fine earlier today.

I'v even deleted every single instance of steam on the computer, literally everything and tried fresh install. still no luck.

In console, the errors I keep seeing are:

"failed to load Steam Service"
"ServiceStart: failed to start"
"Errors in resource/styles/steam.styles"
"Unknown key 'visible' set in style 'html-findbar' in file 'resource/styles/steam.styles'"
"Unable to create bundle with URL /Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/osx32/steam"

I've searched for all of those, and tried anything and everything that comes up, and still no luck.

I get to "Connecting Steam account: [account]..." and then it freezes and just spins indefintely. the last thing i see in consol is
"SteamID: #########, universe Public" 3 times, and then nothing. doesn't go after this point.

Help, anyone??

----------

okay.... this is the weirdest thing now... after i posted that, i went to steams forums to post about it.... and after logging in, steam opened!

on console though, i stilll get the failed to lead Steam service, as well as now failing to connect. is it possible something was wrong with my account that SOMEHOW was crashing everything?

A new client was released this month.

llirik
Dec 3, 2011, 01:40 PM
aaaaaaaaand, it just started doing that again. the client was updated, as it does that automatically.

benthewraith
Dec 3, 2011, 03:52 PM
A new client was released this month.

I've noticed a CPU whine when running Steam, just the interface, that occurs in no other program under similar or greater loads. Steam told me it was just my computer but I don't think so because of that reason.

Michaelgtrusa
Dec 16, 2011, 02:07 AM
I've noticed a CPU whine when running Steam, just the interface, that occurs in no other program under similar or greater loads. Steam told me it was just my computer but I don't think so because of that reason.

I never heard on this.

dwynnejr
Feb 4, 2013, 05:57 PM
I never heard on this.

having the same problem. this is infuriating. brand new mac.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16786152#post16786152