Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
So my friend and I both picked it up this weekend to play some coop together. Once my version was installed and updated, I found the "Community" option was not available. His was fine, he could jump online right away. :mad:

Turns out the game requires you to finish the first chapter of story mode in order to jump online, UNLESS it finds a LBP1 save file, and therefore "knows" you are not a total noob. We have both finished the first game. He was greeted with "welcome back", I was not.

The difference? I played the US version of LBP, and now I have the EU version of LBP2. :rolleyes: Great. Why on earth would they make the game not recognize a save file from a different region??? Seems to me like this would actually be more programming work to have the game code differentiate like that. :confused:

All in all, not a big deal, I suppose. I just need to finish the first seven levels, and then I am good to go. But when you're in a situation where you only found a time window of one hour to play together a friend, and then you can't because of stupid crud like that, it pisses me off. :mad:

[/RANT]

Last edited:

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Pretty sure that's Sony's fault, as US DLC doesn't work with EU/AU games, and vice versa.

That's something else I am not a fan off. Either go completely region-free or don't....but this whole "kind of region-free, but not really, still mostly" thing is stupid.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
If it's anything like the PSP; games are saved into folders referencing their serial numbers. Say an EU PSP game has the code UCES00767 - that will be it's save folder. And when you save from the US version it'll be ULUS00767.

You might have gotten away with renaming the folders and files within. Or maybe not (didn't work with my Dissidia 1 save). All I know is that it is a pain, yes :(. As far as save games goes it's quite logical. But to lock out DLC is just a bit stupid and/or money grabbing.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
My SAVE Rant !!!!!!

Since were having a rant at stupid save implementations can I add my new bug bear!!

Sony what did you let us have cloud saves for?

You advertise that its so we can for example play game at home, go over to friends house and pick up the game from where we left off.
Or maybe you have 2 PS3's. Now you can play in the living room, save your game to the cloud and pick it up later and play in the bedroom.....

Fab, Great! idea in principal. So what's MRU's beef you wonder with such a great concept ?

Simple.. In practice they have totally destroyed that idea and made the whole thing annoying..

You have to wait a full 24 hours before you can download a save you have put on the cloud. So no - you can't play at home, pop over to friends and pick up your save, no you can't play in the living room and then pick it up in the bedroom later... Well not unless you wait a FULL 24Hrs !!

Why Why Why was this stupid limitation put on this facility. It makes No Sense!

As a privilege for paying for PSN - this makes cloud storage utterly redundant.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Oh Sony....you do so many things right - how can you do some things so very wrong? Absolutely stupid. :(

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Last night I had an hour to spare to I decided to take a first peak at Mass Effect 2.

By the time I downloaded the update, installed the game data, downloaded and installed the content they didn't put on the disc to justify an online pass, I was out of time and had not actually played a single minute. :mad::mad::mad:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ God yes that peev's me at times too.

It's like. Ok so a fancy a game of ModNation or LBP2 online as I haven't played them much of late, so in goes the disc. Then update, then update, then update... aghhhh downloading the updates which seemed to take forever has killed any time I had to play or the desire to do so...

OK so you can play without patching, but not online or community features etc.

This is where PSN Plus auto update feature is a life saver, as it downloads the patches for you when your not using your ps3. I love the feature...

However Sony have decided in their wisdom that if you have multiple PS3's that AutoDownload can only be done on 1 machine. So if you do have multiple ps3's as I do - it still is a royal pain in the arse for updates on the other ps3's.

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
It is so very silly to ONLY let PSN+ subscribers have the auto-update feature. Even sillier when you pay to really only rent the games you get from PSN+, as you lose the ability to use them when you stop your subscription.

Game save locking has me fuming.

Region free has always peeved me, which led me to modding almost every console I have owned except this latest gen. I do understand not all game saves working between regions, BUT in my case what really irked me was my save from the regular Batman Asylum game did not transfer to the GOTY version of the same region. Oh well..it gave me a reason to play a great game all over again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.