PDA

View Full Version : XCode 4 cross-platoform development

ScoobyMcDoo
Apr 4, 2011, 02:08 PM
I was wondering if xcode 4 has added any cross-platform development features. Specifically, right now I use NetBeans running on OS-X, but I have it compile on a Linux VM (or physical machine). It then sends back compile errors and warnings that I can click on which take me back to the appropriate line of my code.

XCode 4 have anything like this? Or is it really just tailored for OS X and iOS development?

lee1210
Apr 4, 2011, 02:16 PM
Or is it really just tailored for OS X and iOS development?

Yes, this one. IMO the reason to use XCode is if you're doing Cocoa or Cocoa Touch development. It is nice, so I guess large-scale C++ or maybe even C work might be worth trying, but it's going to pump out code for various procs (PPC <before 3.something>, x86, x86_64) in Mach-O format. There may be a way to work out a build environment using makefiles, usw. that will result in a cross-compilation toolchain being used to build for linux, but this isn't an "out of the box" feature as far as I know. They want you to use it to make great Mac software. They don't really want the same great software to be available on Linux and Windows.

-Lee

bux
Apr 4, 2011, 02:20 PM
I was wondering if xcode 4 has added any cross-platform development features. Specifically, right now I use NetBeans running on OS-X, but I have it compile on a Linux VM (or physical machine). It then sends back compile errors and warnings that I can click on which take me back to the appropriate line of my code.

XCode 4 have anything like this? Or is it really just tailored for OS X and iOS development?

Nothing built-in, but I think it's still possible to do so like it was in xcode3 - but it's not really worth the trouble imo. A lot easier to copy the code and compile it in an virtual machine unless someone has already been working on some package for that but I don't know anything of such thing yet.

EDIT:
Lee gives some good points also :)

ScoobyMcDoo
Apr 4, 2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll just stick with Netbeans for now. It works pretty well, but has it's quirks. I just like to play with new toys if they have promise.

ender land
Apr 5, 2011, 02:16 PM
QT has some good abilities to facilitate cross platform development and still let you use xcode, using qmake from a .pro file.