Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
I was wondering if xcode 4 has added any cross-platform development features. Specifically, right now I use NetBeans running on OS-X, but I have it compile on a Linux VM (or physical machine). It then sends back compile errors and warnings that I can click on which take me back to the appropriate line of my code.

XCode 4 have anything like this? Or is it really just tailored for OS X and iOS development?

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
Or is it really just tailored for OS X and iOS development?

Yes, this one. IMO the reason to use XCode is if you're doing Cocoa or Cocoa Touch development. It is nice, so I guess large-scale C++ or maybe even C work might be worth trying, but it's going to pump out code for various procs (PPC <before 3.something>, x86, x86_64) in Mach-O format. There may be a way to work out a build environment using makefiles, usw. that will result in a cross-compilation toolchain being used to build for linux, but this isn't an "out of the box" feature as far as I know. They want you to use it to make great Mac software. They don't really want the same great software to be available on Linux and Windows.

-Lee

bux

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2004
Sweden
I was wondering if xcode 4 has added any cross-platform development features. Specifically, right now I use NetBeans running on OS-X, but I have it compile on a Linux VM (or physical machine). It then sends back compile errors and warnings that I can click on which take me back to the appropriate line of my code.

XCode 4 have anything like this? Or is it really just tailored for OS X and iOS development?

Nothing built-in, but I think it's still possible to do so like it was in xcode3 - but it's not really worth the trouble imo. A lot easier to copy the code and compile it in an virtual machine unless someone has already been working on some package for that but I don't know anything of such thing yet.

EDIT:
Lee gives some good points also :)

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Thanks for the feedback. I'll just stick with Netbeans for now. It works pretty well, but has it's quirks. I just like to play with new toys if they have promise.

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
QT has some good abilities to facilitate cross platform development and still let you use xcode, using qmake from a .pro file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.