Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lamarak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I am toying of keeping my 2009 2.53 320 HD 4 gig ram 13 or get the newer MBA 13. I saw the MBA in best buy and love the weight and the idea of a ssd.

Will I lose alot by going to the MBA with the slower cpu. I have PC gaming machine that I do all my heavy using for and use the laptop for college 99 percent of time. But Its getting long in tooth, warranty is gone, ans would like something lighter. Thanks for any advice.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
I am toying of keeping my 2009 2.53 320 HD 4 gig ram 13 or get the newer MBA 13. I saw the MBA in best buy and love the weight and the idea of a ssd.

Will I lose alot by going to the MBA with the slower cpu. I have PC gaming machine that I do all my heavy using for and use the laptop for college 99 percent of time. But Its getting long in tooth, warranty is gone, ans would like something lighter. Thanks for any advice.

How exactly is a 2009-era MBP getting "long in the tooth"? And if it's seeming sluggish to you, put an SSD in the MBP for ~$200 and you'd be running circles around a MBA.

The MBA will give you three advantages: Weight, Graphics (320M vs. 9400m) and better screen resolution (1440x900 vs. 1280x800).

Otherwise, with an SSD, the MBP will be much faster than the MBA. (and for much cheaper).

Lamarak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Ya, I guess long in tooth was wrong to say. Your right, its still a good computer. Guess just liked the weight of the MBA. And would work better for me at school. Even thinking of the the 11 inch also.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
Ya, I guess long in tooth was wrong to say. Your right, its still a good computer. Guess just liked the weight of the MBA. And would work better for me at school. Even thinking of the the 11 inch also.

If weight is your primary concern, and you can live with smaller storage (64 or 128GB vs. 320GB) as well as no DVD-RW drive, Ethernet, Firewire, then the MBA is the machine for you.

I have one and Love it, but my MBP also has it's time and place.

MadIdol

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
MBA is better

Hi ,

I had a 15" MBP before I bought my air and at least if you are going to be moving around I think the macbook air is better and there isn't that much of a drop in performance. I wrote a review at my site www.madidol.com in the blog if you want to take more of a look into what I think .

Thanks Ross

(Mad Idol Designs Ltd)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.