Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleCrisp

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
For those turned off by the red smart cover's estimated shipping time of 2-3 weeks, I thought you would like to know I ordered mine on March 29 and it delivered today! Under a week from order receipt to delivery. I'm in Canada btw

mojojosung

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
For those turned off by the red smart cover's estimated shipping time of 2-3 weeks, I thought you would like to know I ordered mine on March 29 and it delivered today! Under a week from order receipt to delivery. I'm in Canada btw

Thanks for the info! I was about to purchase a poly one, but I guess I'll put in an order for the red one. How do you like it?

El Aurens

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2010
London, Ontario, Canada

Same here, fortunately I was working from home today and I was able to sign for the Fedex shipment.

Last edited:

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Oh... wtf? I have to sign for a case?

I can't be home all the times and I dunno when the fedex guy will bring it to my house...

I might have to reroute him to local fedex.

Last edited by a moderator:

XXFirefighter

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
How did you get it when I ordered one on March 22nd and it's not coming till the 29th?

SO not happy right now... Ordered a ipad along with it and that's not slated to come till the frigging 3rd !!!

5596357280_544eba329d_o.jpg

Last edited:

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia

Loved the Red Smart Cover when I first saw it. But since I really wanted a white iPad, decided to go basic black here. But happy to hear of the quick delivery! :)

Oh... wtf? I have to sign for a case?

I can't be home all the times and I dunno when the fedex guy will bring it to my house...

I might have to reroute him to local fedex.

A couple things first...

Why do folks seem to want to cuss with "WTF"? "Heck" could work just as well.... just saying....

Now as to your not being home for a delivery from FedEx. All credit card companies will allow you to change your billing address anytime you want. This way you can have an item shipped to where you want so it can be signed for. Once the item is delivered, you change it back. I have heard that some credit card companies will set up virtual credit cards for this purpose as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
I am in the same situation as you. I don't understand how they ordered after me and mine hasn't even shipped.

The OP resides in Canada. Apple Canada Store and USA store have different stock levels and different que for orders. I ordered my red smart cover on March 19 and estimated arrival date is April 21. When I ordered it was 3-4 weeks and now it is 2-3 weeks estimated shipping. Hopefully, ours will ship sooner then expected. I have been to several Apple Store in Socal and they are out of the red one.

physicsguy13

Contributor
Oct 5, 2010
Huntiingon Beach, CA
The OP resides in Canada. Apple Canada Store and USA store have different stock levels and different que for orders. I ordered my red smart cover on March 19 and estimated arrival date is April 21. When I ordered it was 3-4 weeks and now it is 2-3 weeks estimated shipping. Hopefully, ours will ship sooner then expected. I have been to several Apple Store in Socal and they are out of the red one.

Thank you. That clears it upnfor me.

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011

My red smart cover is now prepared for shipment as of 4.11.11. I waited 3 weeks. Will update when it ships

Pballer110

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
For everyone receiving a red smart cover, or any leather smart cover for that matter, I strongly suggest treating it with a leather protector as soon as you get it. They tend to look very bad after a couple weeks of use due to dirt, scratches and the oils off your skin. My red leather cover started looking bad but luckily I was able to return it topple and purchase another and I treated it with mink oil and it still looks really good after 2 weeks of use.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Went to my local shoe repair and shining store recently. Was informed about Cadillac boot and shoe care lotion. Nice stuff, decently priced, and he promises to protect and condition the leather smart covers. We will see if it works or not, but it really does give a rather luxurious shine to the red leather smart cover.

ani23

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Man these things arent in store not on craiglist and my sis wants just this for her bday.

2 weeks wait from apple.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
For everyone receiving a red smart cover, or any leather smart cover for that matter, I strongly suggest treating it with a leather protector as soon as you get it. They tend to look very bad after a couple weeks of use due to dirt, scratches and the oils off your skin. My red leather cover started looking bad but luckily I was able to return it topple and purchase another and I treated it with mink oil and it still looks really good after 2 weeks of use.

This sounds like a really good idea. Did it change the shade of red any?

cinca

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
This sounds like a really good idea. Did it change the shade of red any?

Yeah... I am super curious too. I got the tan cover and treated it and love the resulting more natural brown saddle leather cover... But originally loved the idea of the red but didn't like how bright red it was.. I would love to hear that treating it with some oil leather conditioner would deepen the red...maybe give it a rich brick red tone..?

Anyone have experience treating the red..?

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Yeah... I am super curious too. I got the tan cover and treated it and love the resulting more natural brown saddle leather cover... But originally loved the idea of the red but didn't like how bright red it was.. I would love to hear that treating it with some oil leather conditioner would deepen the red...maybe give it a rich brick red tone..?

Anyone have experience treating the red..?

this will treat the red, give it the new look, but leave the color intact once it dries in 10 min Rub it in with your finger:
6a40d11e.jpg

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
So I always thought the red leather smart cover looked the best, particularly with a white iPad, but after I purchased one, I was really disappointed with how poorly it held up against dirt and oil from your hands. After one a week, mine had dark oil spots, and where I had tried cleaning the cover, perhaps to hard, the color was starting to fade. Needless to say, I was really disappointed, so I returned it and bought a polyurethane cover.

Since then I have read a lot of the posts where people talked about treating the leather with a protective coat, and how part of the appeal of leather is how it ages and become distinctive. Although the polyurethane cover feels soft, i also missed the supple rich texture of the leather.

Long story short, I decided to try out the red cover once again. This time, right after purchasing it, I went to the Nordstom in the same mall, and went to their shoe department for some advice. I was pretty confident they would be experienced at keeping expensive leather products looking nice. They sold me a non-silicone leather protective spray and a foam cleaner, both by a company called Synovia. They assured me both would help to keep the cover looking like new.

Well, after two weeks so far, I can report that the cover still looks great. I had applied the protective spray on the cover as soon as I got home, spraying it three times lightly, on both sides, and allowing it to dry after each application. So far, Im very pleased with the results, as the vibrant red color has remained intact.

Although I'm a fan of the minimalistic design of the smart cover, I have also applied a skin to the back of the iPad. I choose the BookBack by the DodoCase people, and since it's black with a red logo, it looks really nice with the red smart cover. I also use a neoprene sleeve when I take the iPad out of the house.

BTW, the red cover also has the Red Product™ designation, so part of the profit goes to fight AIDS in Africa, which is a nice feel-good bonus. As such, it's only being sold by Apple, and not any of the third party merchants.

I hope this helps anyone considering the red leather smart cover.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
They sold me a non-silicone leather protective spray and a foam cleaner, both by a company called Synovia. They assured me both would help to keep the cover looking like new.

Would you mind providing us the name of the product?

Thanks,

JD

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Would you mind providing us the name of the product?

Thanks,

JD

No problem. Both are from a company called Synovia, which I've since looked for online but haven't found much information about. The first product is called Leather Protector for water and stain repellent. The second is called Suede and Nubuck Cleaner which cleans and conditions. I got the both in the men's shoe department at Nordstrom.

There have been other recommendations for leather cleaners here on this forum which I'm sure are also good. I was particularly pleased that the Synovia leather protector did not darken the color of the leather after it was applied.

mattman0324

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
this will treat the red, give it the new look, but leave the color intact once it dries in 10 min Rub it in with your finger

Did you personally treat a red cover with this? Just curious to see what a red cover looks like treated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.