PDA

View Full Version : iPad 2 just with Smart Cover?

AppleCrisp
Apr 4, 2011, 11:09 PM
I was wondering how many of you carry around your iPad on the go with just a smart cover? Any bad experiences putting it in a bag just with a smart cover on it?

Thanks

haruhiko
Apr 4, 2011, 11:13 PM
your back can be scratched in a few seconds if you do so
you need a back cover!
The original Incase Magazine Jacket is now updated to support iPad 2, you may give it a try (well, Apple has apparently copied their idea on the Magazine Jacket...)
the glass is not as easily scratched than the back.

number84
Apr 4, 2011, 11:21 PM
I don't think u need a back cover. Just do what I'm doing and install a skin over it. I'm getting the one from best skins ever. It won't protect against drops though. But I'm more concerned about scratches when shoving it in my bag.

dmaul1114
Apr 4, 2011, 11:33 PM
I've been using just a smartcover and a neoprene netbooks sleeve for putting it in my bag etc. since getting mine on march 15th. No scratches etc. to the back thus far. But I'm not anal about that kind of stuff either as I'm not one to sell to upgrade. I'll use it until I want something else in a couple years and give it to a friend or family member if it's still in good working order at that point (battery isn't dead etc.) like I do most of my gadgets.

PCClone
Apr 4, 2011, 11:47 PM
I just use the smart cover. I put it in the padded insert in my backpack. It is loose, but I am careful. No scratches yet.

cobaltrich27
Apr 5, 2011, 01:02 AM
I've been using just a smartcover and a neoprene netbooks sleeve for putting it in my bag etc. since getting mine on march 15th. No scratches etc. to the back thus far. But I'm not anal about that kind of stuff either as I'm not one to sell to upgrade. I'll use it until I want something else in a couple years and give it to a friend or family member if it's still in good working order at that point (battery isn't dead etc.) like I do most of my gadgets.

I have always been a bigtime otter box defender user. When I first bought my MBA 11.6 I was using it all the time and recently went to pickup my iPad 1 WOW I didn't notice how heavy my iPad 1 is with the defender on it.

My new iPad 2 only has the black leather smart cover and I like the light weight think I will get a black neoprene for travel etc... Thanks for the idea what brand model is yours? Can you fit the iPad 2 in there easily with smart cover on?

My wife gets the old heavy iPad 1 so she can do what ever she wants with that heavy thing is actually best think she would otherwise break it lol :eek:

Can't wait for next iPhone with metal back. I'm getting use to lighter weight devices think I will go with a clear skin and no otter box with iPhone 5.

I love the aluminum finish with my MacBooks never wanted to cover them up and now starting to feel same about iPhone & iPad.

aleni
Apr 5, 2011, 01:20 AM
i put 4 rubber feet like the ones u found at the back of your macbook, but it's a clear transparent one, so my iPad 2's back never touch any surface. :D

dmaul1114
Apr 5, 2011, 08:44 AM
My new iPad 2 only has the black leather smart cover and I like the light weight think I will get a black neoprene for travel etc... Thanks for the idea what brand model is yours? Can you fit the iPad 2 in there easily with smart cover on?

Mines a Tuari 10.2" laptop sleeve I bought at Target for $12.99. iPad and smartcover fit easily with room to spare since it's a netbooks sized sleeve (so it's thicker than an iPad sleeve).

If you want a sleeve that fits like a glove, you might not like it as this one has some extra room. But it seems to work fine for me. Also has a little zippered pocket on the front I use to keep a microfiber clothe in for wiping down the screen.

Chupa Chupa
Apr 5, 2011, 09:03 AM
I was wondering how many of you carry around your iPad on the go with just a smart cover? Any bad experiences putting it in a bag just with a smart cover on it?

Thanks

Bag. What kind of bag? Mine is naked but I have a neoprene bag for travel that goes inside my briefcase. I wouldn't just jam my naked iPad into my briefcase or backpack.

Steviejobz
Apr 5, 2011, 09:08 AM
I was doing the same for a while but when you put smart cover in typing mode, the other edge will touch the surface it is on and will scratch or get dinged. Only a matter of time.

franmatt80
Apr 5, 2011, 10:17 AM
I've gone for a clear skin on the back and smart cover on the front, and stick it in a sleeve when it's in my bag to prevent scratches from my keys and stuff. Love it- so good to be using it without a case. Thin, light and looks good!

jck1634
Apr 5, 2011, 10:26 AM
Does the back really get scratched? I've been using just a smart cover and gone "commando" on the back since i got it on launch day and not noticed any scratches as yet. On the go I just stick it in one of the pockets in my backpack.

sotie
Apr 5, 2011, 10:39 AM
I installed a skin on mine but if I didn't have it I'd be worried that if I placed the iPad on my kitchen counter it could be scratched by a small particle if moved a bit.

JSchroeder80
Apr 5, 2011, 11:06 AM
I just have a smart cover now while I'm waiting for a full case (Portenzo). I carry mine in the cloth case that used to house my netbook to protect the back from scratches during travel.

The smart cover is impressive but my only beef is that it was advertised as supposed to clean the screen, and it sort of does. But I find dirty lines where the folds of the cover are.

iggypod
Apr 5, 2011, 03:26 PM
I've gone for a clear skin on the back and smart cover on the front, and stick it in a sleeve when it's in my bag to prevent scratches from my keys and stuff. Love it- so good to be using it without a case. Thin, light and looks good!

This is my current setup as well and I love it. Light and lean.

Chip NoVaMac
Apr 5, 2011, 11:04 PM
i put 4 rubber feet like the ones u found at the back of your macbook, but it's a clear transparent one, so my iPad 2's back never touch any surface. :D

Wish I had thought of that before ordering the SGP skin for the iPad 2... but in the end I think it will look good with the black leather Smart Cover, and protect the back from scratches.

Technohead
Apr 6, 2011, 07:29 AM
I had Armor Skin put all around the Ipad, then bought a Smartcover. Seems to do the trick, although I will get a notebook cover/carrier for when I want to go mobile with it.

At first I wasn't gonna buy the Smartcover, but when I saw it in the store I thought it was pretty darn neat. It is lightweight and handy. Glad I made the purchase.

edk
Apr 6, 2011, 08:27 AM
I have a HP mini netbook sleeve - that has a 'fur' lining.. does the job nicely

Mdifilm
Apr 6, 2011, 09:04 AM
I use the smart cover for the front and a skin from juststickit, when traveling outside the house or my studio, I put it into my 10" caselogic carrying bag (small enough also to fit right on front pouch pocket in plane), and it protects it well, I also have the 2 years squaretrade warranty just in case it is damaged.

Been debating if I really need a 'hard shell' case, but decided not to since in my line of work, 'showmanship' carries some 'weight' in getting a client.