PDA

View Full Version : DO NOT BUY: Yoobao leather iPad 2 case

born4sky
Apr 5, 2011, 10:17 AM
How cant you buy this case, its affordable and looks great. - thats exactly what I thought when I was buying it.

I received it yesterday and it's smells like some poisoned chemicals. I tried to clean it with different leather cleaners, sprayed with couple outdoor sprays, nothing worked.

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR DO NOT BUY IT!

Geo411m
Apr 5, 2011, 10:21 AM
I have to agree with you on this. I returned mine because of the smell and the smartcover feature was crap. It turned off my device when the cover was turned over to the back of the ipad. I highly don't recommend it. Wait for the Chinao case which looks to be a better case.

hcho3
Apr 5, 2011, 10:24 AM
It's a shame. I like the concept and I liked their first ipad cases. In fact, I used their brown leather case for ipad 1.

However, I do feel that the issues are serious.

1. Smell= People have described the smell has chemical. That's not good. They told me that the smell was so bad that they had to wash their hands like everyday and every time they use the case. Dunno why this is happening, but the issues are clear and needs to be addressed.

2. Smell is one thing, but it appears that it has an issue with sleep/wake function when the cover is folded. Again, this cover was rushed.

Bottom line, I agree with OP here. Do not buy until these two issues are resolved.

born4sky
Apr 5, 2011, 10:25 AM
Looks like I will be having problems returning it, bought i from eBay user : electronics-deal

hcho3
Apr 5, 2011, 10:29 AM
Looks like I will be having problems returning it, bought i from eBay user : electronics-deal

If you bought it with Amex card, just return it to AMEX. If you bought it with credit card/paypal, (You definitely did because it's ebay) then file a complain.

Don't give up without fighting.

Geo411m
Apr 5, 2011, 10:35 AM

If you bought it with Amex card, just return it to AMEX. If you bought it with credit card/paypal, (You definitely did because it's ebay) then file a complain.

Don't give up without fighting.

Have you tried contacting the seller? Most sellers take back returns as long as the item is still sell-able/new. You would only lose on the shipping and the return shipping.

bobbyrab
Apr 5, 2011, 10:37 AM
I agree with everything that has been said. The smell is worse than any toxic waste dump in NJ; it does sleep when the cover is flat behind the IPad; AND when it is SUPPOSED TO put the IPad to sleep when you close it, it is hit or miss because the cover's front edge is not flush with the back cover edge. I, like some others I guess, was impressed by the initial glowing reviews that seem to be fading once the users live with cover for awhile. Off to wash my hands again from that toxic smell!

born4sky
Apr 5, 2011, 10:39 AM
Smells is very bad... and its not going to go away.

master-ceo
Apr 5, 2011, 10:46 AM
After A 30 page thread..It might be too late for some :D

Thanks for the heads up.

jeff_siler
Apr 5, 2011, 11:15 AM
Got a refund on mine. Terrible smell.

swapna81
Apr 5, 2011, 11:21 AM
Me too.. will be returning it ..The smell is too hard to live with. Now that Yoobao is not an option.. what are you guys looking at ???

jeff_siler
Apr 5, 2011, 11:24 AM
Me too.. will be returning it ..The smell is too hard to live with. Now that Yoobao is not an option.. what are you guys looking at ???

I went with a Dodocase.

bobbyrab
Apr 5, 2011, 11:27 AM
I am considering a ZueGue but would want to smell one first, lol. From now on, ANY case gotta pass the smell test!:p

swapna81
Apr 5, 2011, 11:29 AM
I went with a Dodocase.

Too bulky for my liking..

kimnicho
Apr 5, 2011, 11:49 AM
I ordered one too thinking "how bad can it REALLY be?"...It's BAD. I'm throwing mine straight in the trash as it definitely smells toxic. As for me, I'm going with what should have been my 1st choice - Radtech Skinny. ETA is now 4/12:(

gigaguy
Apr 5, 2011, 11:50 AM
Mine smelled Bad, and I complained here, but after a week of airing it out it is much better. I do wish the smart function worked perfectly. Overall the case is like what I wanted.
early adopters suffer some due to the high demand and case manufacturers not getting actual iPads early for to test fit/function properly.
I'm pretty happy with the case, the smell was the worst thing. I hate toxic chemical smells, and agree it came off in my hands at the beginning. I've rubbed it with cloths, and aired it out in front of fans overnight. I hear many Chinese cases come like that so it;s not just Yoobao.

comixster
Apr 5, 2011, 12:07 PM
I have to agree with you on this. I returned mine because of the smell and the smartcover feature was crap. It turned off my device when the cover was turned over to the back of the ipad. I highly don't recommend it. Wait for the Chinao case which looks to be a better case.

I'm not sure but I think Yoobao and Chinao seems to be under one company.

brianm801
Apr 5, 2011, 12:09 PM
I've had mine for over a week and the smell has almost vanished.

While i agree it was a toxic smell (probably knocked off a few days off my life span having it on my desk) now that its gone it is an OK $40 case.

For the record, there are other cases (pad&quill and others) that have been reported to shut the ipad2 off when the cover is folded around the back. On my Yoobao case i have to try and make it happen... it never happens while I'm using it.

Its not the best case... but for my needs i can't find anything better that is actually shipping.

~Brian

PS. You forgot to mention the leather itself.. while it is super soft, mine has so many 'natural defects' in it that the cow/pig/dog/animal must have been dragged by a car... over a gravel road... from Vietnam... before being processed into a case.

BlondeLocks
Apr 5, 2011, 12:15 PM
Sent mine back today to Amazon seller ...:(

bobbyrab
Apr 5, 2011, 12:19 PM
PS. You forgot to mention the leather itself.. while it is super soft, mine has so many 'natural defects' in it that the cow/pig/dog/animal must have been dragged by a car... over a gravel road... from Vietnam... before being processed into a case.

Plus, I think the pigs must have acne and bathed in cyanide twice a day and ate magnets for breakfast.

mac jones
Apr 5, 2011, 12:20 PM
I just hope some of the profits go to the workers Widows. (assuming they are old enough to marry)

Geo411m
Apr 5, 2011, 12:24 PM

It might be but the chinao case makes a synthetic leather that I hope wouldn't have the carcinogenic smell.

I'm also looking at the PixelSkin HD which looks about perfect except it doesn't have the smartcover feature.

Sundancer007
Apr 5, 2011, 01:47 PM
Is the Apple iPad 2 leather cover case with build in stand from Wonkiworld off ebay for 14.00 a knockoff of the yoobao case? If so, i wouldn't like the smell even at 14.00. I did order one and waiting on it and all i would use it for is to transport the Ipad in the vehicle as i like the smart cover at home.

justanfyi
Apr 5, 2011, 01:57 PM

yoobao and CHINAO are not the same, Chinao uses a better quality material therebsynthetic is better than Yoobaos so called genuine leather

SchneiderMan
Apr 5, 2011, 02:13 PM
The smell is typical with almost any case or accessory coming from Asia. I have a lot of products that came in from China and Singapore, all have the same nasty smell.
I appreciate US made products much more.

iggypod
Apr 5, 2011, 03:06 PM
The smell is typical with almost any case or accessory coming from Asia. I have a lot of products that came in from China and Singapore, all have the same nasty smell.
I appreciate US made products much more.

Amen to that.

Says the girl whom just ordered one yesterday and hopes hers doesn't reak.

3goldens
Apr 5, 2011, 03:21 PM
smell went away in 24 hours, what a bunch of pansy's!

SchneiderMan
Apr 5, 2011, 03:22 PM

Not the case with my stuff though.

mac jones
Apr 5, 2011, 03:29 PM

Maybe, maybe not.

But i've got to admit that some people may be jumping the gun.

Just about every type of case, for any type product coming out of China has the bad smell. I give it 3 to 5 days before I return it, as any alternative is likely to be the same.

I kind of think the toxicity can be greatly reduced by proximity. In other words, put it under the sink (like I did) for a few days. The fumes are dispersed and it's probably ok.

Believe me, I'm not going to rough anything, but I don't want to waste a lot of time with this.

surfbo740
Apr 5, 2011, 03:48 PM

Had the first one and the smell decreased dramatically in the first day or so, and was gone by the end of the week completely. It's from china and for $40 I don't know why you'd complain, forget Vaja $200 my butt, I'll let my case air out for a day or two and save the animals to boot.

bobbyrab
Apr 5, 2011, 03:58 PM
The smell is just an added bonus. I am thinking of applying the case edges to my pulse points and see if I attract girls.

Seriously though it is the smell combined with the forced sleeping issue when the cover is placed flat behind the Ipad that is a bit much. If I wanted a case that didn't have the sleep feature I would have bought one. AND as I mentioned in an earlier post, even the sleep feature works haphazardly as the edges of both the front and back covers do not align properly.

justanfyi
Apr 5, 2011, 03:59 PM
Had the first one and the smell decreased dramatically in the first day or so, and was gone by the end of the week completely. It's from china and for $40 I don't know why you'd complain, forget Vaja $200 my butt, I'll let my case air out for a day or two and save the animals to boot.

I've heard less whinning from people in japan next to the nuclear reactor, as far as the smart feature your not going to get that on a 40 case anyways. If people wanted quality cases made in American then spend more than support Americans and stop buying from foreign countries. Damn even the I pad is made in China
Hell I've read where people are saying that there cases have mushroom clouds coming off of them and bubbling fumes way over kill. Just tell the truth

born4sky
Apr 5, 2011, 04:00 PM
yes, everything that came from china has a bad smell, but it was never that BAD

bobbyrab
Apr 5, 2011, 04:03 PM
I've heard less whinning from people in japan next to the nuclear reactor, as far as the smart feature your not going to get that on a 40 case anyways. If people wanted quality cases made in American then spend more than support Americans and stop buying from foreign countries. Damn even the I pad is made in China

Well, the iPad generally works as advertised. And....it smells as fresh as the morning dew. It must have been produced in a more fragrant section of China. And, apparently you are right; you are NOT going to get the smart feature on a $40 case, IF the case is this one. Is the cutoff point for the smart feature perhaps $42.95?:p

justanfyi
Apr 5, 2011, 05:21 PM
Well, the iPad generally works as advertised. And....it smells as fresh as the morning dew. It must have been produced in a more fragrant section of China. And, apparently you are right; you are NOT going to get the smart feature on a $40 case, IF the case is this one. Is the cutoff point for the smart feature perhaps $42.95?:p
The smell does go away after a few days unless you putbuour nose up to it and sniff now if you spray it wipe it down with something prior to that then yes it will seal it in. But that's what we get when we buy things from countries that have know regulations maybe if we started paying more and buying real US made products maybe we would have less to complain about including the state of our economy. Cost = quality in most cases

bobbyrab
Apr 5, 2011, 05:35 PM
.... maybe if we started paying more and buying real US made products maybe we would have less to complain about including the state of our economy. Cost = quality in most cases

But then we wouldn't be buying iPads because they are made in China! Apple can't make them here and make the profit margins that allow them to stay in business and conduct the R&D necessary to the lifeblood of a technology company.

I too wish for the good ol' days of MADE IN THE USA but alas, they are over my friend.

beatzfreak
Apr 5, 2011, 05:51 PM
The smell does go away after a few days unless you putbuour nose up to it and sniff now if you spray it wipe it down with something prior to that then yes it will seal it in. But that's what we get when we buy things from countries that have know regulations maybe if we started paying more and buying real US made products maybe we would have less to complain about including the state of our economy. Cost = quality in most cases

The problem is their don't seem to be any cases that have the features of the Yoobao case that are made in the US. Price isn't the issue, It's availability. If you know of any, please share. If not, your comments aren't really very helpful or relevant to the situation.

I'm on day 4 of my case sitting on the kitchen window sill, window wide open and the smell is still pretty bad. I'll give it another day, but most likely I will return mine.

justanfyi
Apr 5, 2011, 06:39 PM
[QUOTE=beatzfreak;12335773]The problem is their don't seem to be any cases that have the features of the Yoobao case that are made in the US. Price isn't the issue, It's availability. If you know of any, please share. If not, your comments aren't really very helpful or relevant to the situation.

I'm on day 4 of my case sitting on the kitchen window sill, window wide open and the smell is still pretty bad. I'll give it another day, but most likely I will return mine.[/QUOTE:cool:]

Try putting it in a shopping bag with a dryer sheet inside of it amazing

beatzfreak
Apr 5, 2011, 06:46 PM
Try putting it in a shopping bag with a dryer sheet inside of it amazing

No can do, highly allergic to dryer sheets. Tried them all. Far, far, far from amazing.

Dtn01
Apr 5, 2011, 11:29 PM
Mine hasnt come yet so I dont know how it going to turn out but if it is bad like everyone said im so returning it. Is there any similar case like this one? I try griffin and hate it..i really like case that are slim with leather as material though.. *sigh*

bobbyrab
Apr 5, 2011, 11:43 PM
I just received my return postage label from the nice & efficient folks at AYL. I am reluctant to stink up the mailbox but the cover has got to go back. I appreciate the customer service and it is shame that the product that left the factory in China just doesn't have the quality control to be a decent, functional case. No matter what the cost, it should do the simple job it was designed for, even with low expectations due to the low pricing point.

clovis112
Apr 6, 2011, 06:24 AM
I got mine a few days ago and after hanging it outside the house for a day and a half, the smell is barely there.
i agree that the smell when i got it was pretty bad. i was thinking of returning it but, i'll give it a few more days..

Steviejobz
Apr 6, 2011, 06:37 AM
throw it in the dishwasher

DaGrandMastah
Apr 6, 2011, 08:32 AM
This case failed because of the smell and the sleep/wake function. It's annoying seeing people say that the sleep wake function isn't a big deal since it doesn't work. We paid to purchase a case that should work as advertised. This case was advertised to use the sleep/wake functionality and failed miserably at it. The cover doesn't align in the front and if you flip it back the thing shuts off cause of the magnet issue.

Reading through some of the posts on here and in the other thread and it's pretty clear there are some shills on here that are either working for the company or working for the distributor. I won't name names but one guy in particular is in every Yoobao thread mentioned.

The smell likely will go away in another week or 2 but still doesn't fix what I believe to be the most glaring issue.

BTW, it doesn't help that the smell also stays on your hands.

bobbyrab
Apr 6, 2011, 08:49 AM
This case failed because of the smell and the sleep/wake function. It's annoying seeing people say that the sleep wake function isn't a big deal since it doesn't work. We paid to purchase a case that should work as advertised. This case was advertised to use the sleep/wake functionality and failed miserably at it. The cover doesn't align in the front and if you flip it back the thing shuts off cause of the magnet issue.

Reading through some of the posts on here and in the other thread and it's pretty clear there are some shills on here that are either working for the company or working for the distributor. I won't name names but one guy in particular is in every Yoobao thread mentioned.

The smell likely will go away in another week or 2 but still doesn't fix what I believe to be the most glaring issue.

You have exactly hit upon the issue. If you look at the limited reviews on a major website, which is the basis for ME buying the Yoobao case, you would think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. How can it get such glowing reviews? Have these reviewers no sense of smell? A few of those reviewers have mentioned the "sleep issue" but is not a predominant theme...YET.

iconundrum
Apr 6, 2011, 09:00 AM

It's been obvious to me for weeks now and I'm going to say it...

justanfyi = Kevin (the one that shall not be named). This guy has great customer service skills and ships fast but he also shows an extremely dubious and manipulative side of himself on this forum. I wonder if he's doing the same thing in other Mac forums. I'm a long-time lurker here and have never been inspired to register until now. I just couldn't not say anything anymore because it's so obvious and no one else has called him out on it.

Kontext
Apr 6, 2011, 09:18 AM
I returned mine too because of the smell.
Even if it may faint after a couple of days, I would still be uncomfortable with it. It smelt so chemical that I got a pretty bad headache and the smell was so strong that it literally stank up every room it was in. In addition, it was really strange to the touch, like there was some sort of greasy film on it - like it was completely soaked with all kinds of toxins.
Even though I waited forever for this case to come out, I don't want that in my house, I think it's a dangerous to health.
Yes, maybe I'm overreacting, but that's better than ignoring very clear body signals for convenience.

Still looking for a good replacement, but alas it's very difficult to find one since I have such a clear idea of what I want:
I would want a cover that embraces the iPad completely with minimal cutouts for the accessories/ports. It should be in brown leather and the cover should be foldable into a typing (and maybe also a viewing) stand.
In short - just like the Yoobao Case, only without the stinky, hazardous chemical treatment. Has anyone any idea? ^_^

FMLFMLFML
Apr 6, 2011, 09:23 AM
Yoo-bao in Cantonese means poison.

Just FYI

Steviejobz
Apr 6, 2011, 09:31 AM

Just FYI

:eek: :eek: :eek:

bobbyrab
Apr 6, 2011, 09:45 AM
Let's not fail to mention though that at least AYL is being very efficient in issuing prepaid labels to return these stinkers back to them for a full refund. Kudos to their customer service and ethics.

DaGrandMastah
Apr 6, 2011, 09:50 AM
Let's not fail to mention though that at least AYL is being very efficient in issuing prepaid labels to return these stinkers back to them for a full refund. Kudos to their customer service and ethics.

Absolutely. They were very courteous and sent me a return envelope with an explanation and an apology. They're customer service is certainly not to blame.

angelmouse
Apr 6, 2011, 09:57 AM

Just FYI

That is totally not true. LOL! But I had a good laugh.

Yoo-bao actually means light and thin as a feather in chinese. :)

DaGrandMastah
Apr 6, 2011, 10:01 AM
That is totally not true. LOL! But I had a good laugh.

Yoo-bao actually means light and thin as a feather in chinese. :)

A toxic feather? Light like uranium?

johnc22
Apr 6, 2011, 10:02 AM
After over a week of ownership mine does not smell at all. :confused:

It has other fit issues with the smart cover functionality but the smell is not a problem, and I've just disabled that feature. It's not like the iPad doesn't go to sleep on its own after a couple of minutes.

Once the smell had gone away for the most part, I put a heavy layer of leather conditioner on it, heated it up with a blow dryer, and left it overnight. Wiped off the excess the next morning and now it just smells like leather conditioner unless I stick my nose right on it and breath deeply.

It's a flawed product but unless you are super sensitive the smell dissipates after a few days. I will continue to use it until I find a better alternative that adds a minimum of bulk like this Yoobao.

angelmouse
Apr 6, 2011, 10:18 AM
A toxic feather? Light like uranium?

Probably yes. But uranium is not a light element.

But just to let you guys know, I can get the Yoobao ipad 2 case for USD$27 with shipping (because I live in Singapore). This thing must be really cheap to make! Nonetheless, I am holding back my purchase until there is a fix or update to this smell issue. I've had enough of toxic substances from my research work already. :(

NightFlight
Apr 6, 2011, 10:31 AM
Guys, calm down about the smell.

I got a cheap case for my Nook Color and I had the same issue, I just left it open for a couple of days and it went away. After a week the smell was 90%gone, and now I can't even smell it anymore.

It fades over time, and it is the glue and the liner that they use. It isn't a big deal if you really like the cover and it functions well.

clovis112
Apr 6, 2011, 11:06 AM

I got a cheap case for my Nook Color and I had the same issue, I just left it open for a couple of days and it went away. After a week the smell was 90%gone, and now I can't even smell it anymore.

It fades over time, and it is the glue and the liner that they use. It isn't a big deal if you really like the cover and it functions well.

yeah.. my case almost lost its bad smell in a matter of 2 days.. still contemplating on returning it though..

born4sky
Apr 6, 2011, 11:10 AM

It has other fit issues with the smart cover functionality but the smell is not a problem, and I've just disabled that feature. It's not like the iPad doesn't go to sleep on its own after a couple of minutes.

Once the smell had gone away for the most part, I put a heavy layer of leather conditioner on it, heated it up with a blow dryer, and left it overnight. Wiped off the excess the next morning and now it just smells like leather conditioner unless I stick my nose right on it and breath deeply.

It's a flawed product but unless you are super sensitive the smell dissipates after a few days. I will continue to use it until I find a better alternative that adds a minimum of bulk like this Yoobao.

that exactly what I am doing, I disabled smart cover functionality and hopefully the smell will fade with a time. Because I have to remove this cover prior to entering my living room... wife :)

I sprayed it with a Lysol, but so far its stays almost the same...

I almost pull a trigger twice on vaja case, but it's $180 and I would if all corners would be covered.

Rgladman
Apr 6, 2011, 11:15 AM
I was going to order one of the YooBao covers from Amazon based on the glowing reviews there but decided not to after reading various forums on this topic.

Well the Griffin cost $69 and came with a bad smell also that does seem to be going away after a few days. It is definitely not a good replacement for the YooBao though. Fits poorly and wasn't worth that much money.

I do believe Griffin is an American company also.

Still looking for a good alternative to the YooBao.

bobbyrab
Apr 6, 2011, 11:47 AM

.... I just left it open for a couple of days and it went away. After a week the smell was 90%gone, and now I can't even smell it anymore.

Sounds like I had the exact same experience with my ex-girlfriend. :D

Nd2ski00
Apr 6, 2011, 02:32 PM

This is what I ordered, but wont ship till the 30th. It has sleep/wake function too.

http://www.thejoyfactory.com/page/ipad2/smartblazer2.html

funkycheese
Apr 7, 2011, 01:36 PM
Soaking the case in sink full of water and baking soda seems to work. Then let it airdry. I got the smell down to 5%. Going to put the case inside a ziplock case filled with baking soda and see if that removes it completely. Very annoying that it came to this. You dont want kids near that case because it might be harmful to them.

3N16MA
Apr 7, 2011, 02:02 PM

Agreed. I started both Yoobao threads and was hoping that people would not try and use the 2nd thread to advertise and shill their product. I'm glad the mods closed the thread as it's obvious that as long as it was open some would use MR as a way to sell product.

philipsony
Apr 7, 2011, 02:04 PM
Probably yes. But uranium is not a light element.

But just to let you guys know, I can get the Yoobao ipad 2 case for USD$27 with shipping (because I live in Singapore). This thing must be really cheap to make! Nonetheless, I am holding back my purchase until there is a fix or update to this smell issue. I've had enough of toxic substances from my research work already. :(

hey there, i am Singaporean too, quite few Singaporean in macrumour haha
do you mine sharing where to get it at $27 usd?

mac jones
Apr 7, 2011, 02:28 PM
There are shills ALL OVER this forum LOL

Not the other forums at this site, just this one, hawking their products. When they're not hawking their stuff here, they're probably scalping iPads :D

sneaky stuff

gigaguy
Apr 7, 2011, 02:53 PM
The smell is from the strong industrial glue used. Any leather case under $100 is probably this reformulated leather material that is glued to a base. as far as I understand, think of it as hamburger meat, it's ground up beef. it's real beef, but it's parts of beef mashed together.

mac jones
Apr 7, 2011, 02:59 PM
think of it as hamburger meat, it's ground up beef. it's real beef, but it's parts of beef mashed together..

Uh, would you mind if I didn't think of it this way? thanks. :)

rovex
Apr 7, 2011, 03:09 PM
After reading this thread, I went ahead and purchased it.

mrgossett
Apr 7, 2011, 03:55 PM
I too have ordered this case, in spite of the complaints here. I've had Yoobao cases for my iPad1, and they also had a smell at first, but it went away in a few days. I expect the same will be true for this iPad2 case. If the wake/sleep thing is an issue for me, I'll just turn it off- no really big deal. I can't find anything available right now that looks as good as the Yoobao, in a slim leather folio style.

kayjay
Apr 7, 2011, 04:30 PM
I think going ahead and ordering this cover, with eyes open to its faults, is a good idea. I have it, and it seriously reeked for the first several days. And the smell doesn't go away in just 2 or 3 days; at least for me, it took six. I was set to return it after 5 days, and had gathered up the packaging on the morning of day 6 to do so, and the smell was just gone. It's definitely not high quality leather (ground beef, lol), but it looks good, fits beautifully and the magnets work fine on mine. For now, it's the best case out there for me, at least.

gravytrain84
Apr 7, 2011, 04:37 PM
What a bunch of whiny babies... The smells is not that bad.. I've had mine for a week and I can barely smell it unless I stick my nose up to it.. WHy the hell would you go around sniffing your case anyway???

solaris7
Apr 7, 2011, 05:41 PM
After reading this thread, I went ahead and purchased it.

lol.

dacalo
Apr 7, 2011, 06:11 PM
Well, I requested a refund yesterday from AYL (bought from Amazon) and they told me that if I wish, I can keep my order and a replacement will be shipped out by end of April at the latest.

Supposedly the rev2 is supposed to fix the smell (quality of glue) and the smart cover issue. While I wait, they said I can keep the cover to protect the iPad.

Not happy with the initial product but at least AYL is being very customer oriented about it.

chiefpavvy
Apr 7, 2011, 08:24 PM
Got my black Yoobao today. The smell is there but not THAT bad. Of course the cover doesn't sit perfectly even and so the wake/sleep thing doesn't work properly. Oh well, not a big deal for me. What I was most surprised at was a lack of a front strap to hold the whole thing together. Other than that, love the case. VERY minimal yet it protects the entire device and looks very good. I'll be keeping it until something better comes along...all the cases I've seen this minimal are silicone wraps and the like which suck. To end, for $30 (give or take a few bucks) you really can't go wrong. Apple gets $40 for that PoS "Smart Cover" remember.

ntrigue
Apr 7, 2011, 08:33 PM
I loved Yoobao for the first gen iPad. Thanks for making us aware of the issue.

InfoTime
Apr 7, 2011, 11:10 PM
The Smart Cover from Apple is an Epic Fail.

I bought two iPad 1's immediately upon release and got Apple's case to go with each of them (sold the Wi-Fi only model shortly after getting the 3G one a month later). Apple's case for the iPad 1 is perfect. It's thin, light, has a good texture, sturdy, durable. I never gave a second thought to a case for my iPad 1.

I bought a $70 red leather Smart Cover for my iPad 2. It sucks. It slides off when I put the iPad 2 in my laptop bag. The leather scuffs easily, I'm afraid to handle it. The back is not protected.

Wish Apple had made the same case for the iPad 2 that they sold with the iPad 1. :(

crazypple
Apr 7, 2011, 11:20 PM
Hey! Find Yoobao version-II 100% leather case for iPad2.

Perfect sleep/wake function and no bad smell.

angelmouse
Apr 8, 2011, 10:45 AM
hey there, i am Singaporean too, quite few Singaporean in macrumour haha
do you mine sharing where to get it at $27 usd?

Wanted to pm you. But I can't seem to do so. Probably not enough posts. I get it from taobao.com through a spree. It's like ebay but all in chinese.

philipsony
Apr 8, 2011, 01:53 PM
Wanted to pm you. But I can't seem to do so. Probably not enough posts. I get it from taobao.com through a spree. It's like ebay but all in chinese.

from hwz's spree?
ok thx alot, i was thinking of going through amazon LOL that would cost me 40 usd holy ****

philipsony
Apr 8, 2011, 02:06 PM
omg you are right, i search and found, i can be gotten for $25 singapore dollar . tt only $19 USD, lol amazon is selling for $40 usd what the hell!

Built
Apr 8, 2011, 03:47 PM
My AYL case has no smell whatsoever. I got a great deal on Amazon.com

I won't buy another Yoobao.

bobbyrab
Apr 8, 2011, 05:14 PM
My AYL case has no smell whatsoever. I got a great deal on Amazon.com

I won't buy another Yoobao.

The AYL case on Amazon IS a Yoobao!

funkycheese
Apr 8, 2011, 06:48 PM
Soaking the case in baking soda and water help remove the bad smell. But it weaken the paint that was on case. It looks like red paint sprayed on the case and its already peeling. Using leather cleaner / conditioner just made it worse.

mrgossett
Apr 8, 2011, 07:51 PM
Just got my Yoobao red iPad2 case today. I haven't put the iPad in it yet because I'm waiting on my screen protector to arrive, so I can't comment on the sleep/wake thing. But the smell that has been mentioned here was not all that bad when I first opened it, and it's already lessening after just a few hours of setting out in the house. I do really like the look and feel of it, and I think it will look great with my white iPad. I'll report more after getting the iPad in it.

Built
Apr 8, 2011, 09:08 PM
The AYL case on Amazon IS a Yoobao!

..Whatever it is, NO smell whatsoever.

http://http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TJC4PW (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TJC4PW)

Enjoy your smelly Yoobao...this one doesn't have a smell. Perhaps if it is the use of carbon fiber in the AYL

westwood
Apr 9, 2011, 03:50 PM
an alternative to the Yoobao is this one:
http://www.boxwave.com/products/smartcase/apple-ipad-2-smart-case-nero-leather_4284.htm

Almost identical except for the type of front cover, which resembles the Apple Smartcover design.

I'd get the boxwave if it weren't so expensive.

born4sky
Apr 12, 2011, 12:08 PM
is anyone else having problems?

DTF
Apr 12, 2011, 01:39 PM
is anyone else having problems?

I've had my Yoobao for a while now and the smell is gone. I have to put my nose right on it to smell anything. I don't see it as a problem.

The sleep/wake issue is there if I force the cover all the way over when I wrap it around the back. I think where it naturally has the crease keeps the edge away from the magnet so it works fine for me.

Just like everything on the internet you get a full range of opinions and experiences to things. I think minor items get blown way out of proportion in forums.

loves2travel
Apr 12, 2011, 03:31 PM
I've had my Yoobao for a while now and the smell is gone. I have to put my nose right on it to smell anything. I don't see it as a problem.

The sleep/wake issue is there if I force the cover all the way over when I wrap it around the back. I think where it naturally has the crease keeps the edge away from the magnet so it works fine for me.

Just like everything on the internet you get a full range of opinions and experiences to things. I think minor items get blown way out of proportion in forums.

We also have no problems with the case as others seem to have. The smell is all but gone.

msk6261
Apr 13, 2011, 03:15 PM
A package arrived at our home today. It was a pair of leather sandals for my daughter from Zappos. We opened the box and .....whew!!!

The point is.....new leather smells. Shoes, ipad cases, wallets, handbags fresh out of the wrapping, whatever.

I received my black Yooboa case from Amazon (AYL) for my ipad 2 last week to notice a slice in the leather (yes there was an initial smell but I paid no attention knowing that it would dissipate). AYL responded immediately with a return label and the new one is on it's way. Expedited shipping would have been appreciated for my inconvenience but it will be here soon enough.

dhcl604
Apr 13, 2011, 04:15 PM
I received some emails from Kay at AYL and they are expecting the iPad 2 Yoobao case, version 2, to be available on Friday. The issues of the smell and the magnet sleep/awake issues should be fixed.

Adexis
Apr 14, 2011, 11:34 AM
I received some emails from Kay at AYL and they are expecting the iPad 2 Yoobao case, version 2, to be available on Friday. The issues of the smell and the magnet sleep/awake issues should be fixed.

Does anybody have any info on this version 2 case, what it looks like etc? Is it a Magic style version of the case?

allieaitch
Apr 16, 2011, 08:49 PM
Guess I was lucky. But I bought a red one on Amazon . . . which lists the case as "Pyrus," not Yoobao, by the way! Strange?!?

BUT: There was absolutely NO odor at all! In fact the case is really nice.Protects better than any case I've seen. And the magnetic op[en/close feature works perfectly.

IUf you want to see (and-hopefully-not smell-for yourself, you probably would be wise to buy from Amazon because it has such an incredible return policy.

Good luck.

CR88
Apr 20, 2011, 01:00 PM

I agree totally. I actually wiped it down with a quality leather cleaner I used in my car and haven't had any issues since.

That being said, I do think some people are much more sensitive to the smell. I own a printing company and some people act as though they were punched in the face when they walk in the door. So dramatic, practically swinging their arms like they were being attacked by a swarm of bees to deflect the smell. Then some people just walk in like they barely notice and calmly ask if we cleaned the presses recently.

The smell was very noticeable as soon as I opened it, but is pretty much gone now, and that was only 5 days ago. I do recommend using a high quality leather cleaner as soon as you get it. I had a conference the day after I got it and no one at the conference table even said anything. I almost expected people to get up gasping for air after reading some of the reviews.

The case flap is short though, but I disabled the auto on/off anyway so I never noticed whether or not it would initiate the auto off when closed. The case is pretty nice though for the money. It is leather, very thin, lightweight and didn't add much bulk.

ZipZap
Apr 21, 2011, 05:58 AM
A package arrived at our home today. It was a pair of leather sandals for my daughter from Zappos. We opened the box and .....whew!!!

The point is.....new leather smells. Shoes, ipad cases, wallets, handbags fresh out of the wrapping, whatever.

I received my black Yooboa case from Amazon (AYL) for my ipad 2 last week to notice a slice in the leather (yes there was an initial smell but I paid no attention knowing that it would dissipate). AYL responded immediately with a return label and the new one is on it's way. Expedited shipping would have been appreciated for my inconvenience but it will be here soon enough.

The smell from the cases is not new leather smell, its the adhesive or sealant. New leather smells fantastic. If you disliked the smell...you were smelling glue/sealant.

My original Yooboa smelled horrible. I ozoned it and that helped. Today I can still smell it though more so up close. I am sure by now they have starting using different adhesive.

donm527
Apr 21, 2011, 08:16 AM
I received order for my ipad2 on Tuesday. I received my Yoobao yesterday.

I didnt handle the first version but the the second version, to me, is perfect.

Fits perfectly. No smell except for a light new leather smell that you expect. This was a great choice in wanting a simple leather case that fits the contours perfectly and not add bulk.

The magnets... jury still out. I mean it works perfectly but on a leather case, there is always a little looseness with leather so the positioning of the front cover will move. a cover really has to be designed with it really hinged and the material is more rigid.

Love the case though.

bobbyrab
Apr 21, 2011, 09:10 AM
I received order for my ipad2 on Tuesday. I received my Yoobao yesterday.

The magnets... jury still out. I mean it works perfectly but on a leather case, there is always a little looseness with leather so the positioning of the front cover will move. a cover really has to be designed with it really hinged and the material is more rigid.

Love the case though.

Exactly what I have been saying; the binding has too much play and if it were more rigid, I think the two covers would align better and the front cover would not appear to be an 1/8 of an inch too short as it does now and thus contribute to an inconsistent magnet performance.

donm527
Apr 21, 2011, 03:16 PM
they could probably use bigger magnets or extend the front cover that 1/8th you mentioned to compensate for the use of a soft and flexible material and an unhinged cover... but i imagine they dont because both of those would cause the issue of setting it off when the front cover is folded back.

on soft cases its just not practical. I love the case though so i will live with it. if i really want to use that feature, then hopefully the incase magazine jacket will be updated with magnets to utilize that feature cause I like that case as my second option.

Exactly what I have been saying; the binding has too much play and if it were more rigid, I think the two covers would align better and the front cover would not appear to be an 1/8 of an inch too short as it does now and thus contribute to an inconsistent magnet performance.

jbdd21
Apr 22, 2011, 09:45 PM
Hey guys, I just got my hands on version 2 of this case, and it's improved over the first version. Though you may have washed your hands with Yoobao after your experience. No pun intended. :p

The smell is gone, smells like leather for the most part, and the magnet issue has been resolved.

There is a chance for the magnet to have some alignment issues with the cover periodically so that it doesn't put the iPad to sleep like it should but those occurrences are rare from my experience.

I've got a black one, and I really like the look and feel of this thing, the leather is ridiculously soft.

I made a video review of it here, if interested: http://www.jailbreakmovies.com/2011/04/22/ipad-2-case-review-yoobao-executive-leather-case-or-how-the-smart-cover-was-outsmarted/

toddybody
Apr 25, 2011, 11:04 AM
I bought 3 Yoobaos...2 with the horrible smell (returned), then my last from AYL on Amazon. No chem smell...just like a new leather smell. Now its perfect. Dont ask me why...but the new one is a tad softer and creases more easily. It "feels" much better than the first batch. That smell made me sick:(

Jeeves441
Apr 25, 2011, 09:33 PM
Get the Toblino 2 Napa Leather iPad 2 Case it is great, heres a review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFiNxdVW8FI :apple::apple::):apple::apple:

WilliamG
Apr 25, 2011, 10:15 PM
Get the Toblino 2 Napa Leather iPad 2 Case it is great, heres a review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFiNxdVW8FI :apple::apple::):apple::apple:

Get a two-humped camel! It's about as similar to the Yoobao case as that Toblino (i.e. Targus case rip-off). :D

Ach111es
Apr 25, 2011, 10:19 PM
I unfortunately ordered a yoobao. Below is a list of it's problems. It is still usable but isn't worth getting because of the magnet.

It smells awful.
The magnet is too weak to work.
The iPad 2 does not sit in it right.

micesol
Apr 28, 2011, 07:21 AM
I got mine two weeks ago. I have no problem with the magnets and the case fits perfectly. This is from the second batch where the sleep function with magnets has been fixed. As for the smell, for me it was like a new car smell, which goes away over time. I am buying another for my mother's iPad 2.

thadoggfather
May 3, 2011, 01:15 PM
Love my yoobao got it today. The magnets are kinda weak but a rubber band could fix that. Love the look, feel, and slimness. Peserves form factor well. So much slimmer than my iPad 1 and the incase jacket.

steadysignal
May 3, 2011, 01:16 PM
I bought 3 Yoobaos...2 with the horrible smell (returned), then my last from AYL on Amazon. No chem smell...just like a new leather smell. Now its perfect. Dont ask me why...but the new one is a tad softer and creases more easily. It "feels" much better than the first batch. That smell made me sick:(

thanks for the advice. i had one in the cart and am glad i read this first...

Robert7200
Jun 4, 2011, 12:54 AM
Just received the new Yoobao black leather iPad 2 case (latest generation) yesterday afternoon. The smell of this case is really bad! Initially thought it was just a very strong leather smell, but after having it my home for a several hours, it really reeks. Seems to be some kind of chemical smell. Perhaps it is the chemicals used to treat the leather or dye the leather black. In any case, I am very concerned that it might even be toxic. Remember the toxic drywall issues that came out of China a few years back? The Yoobao leather case also comes from China! I went back online this morning to check if I have received the so called "latest generation" case that corrected this odor issue. Based on all that I have read, and the pics included, it appears that I have the latest generation case. Its too bad that this case smells so bad. If Yoobao can correct this issue, it really will be a great iPad 2 case.
Will be returning this nasty smelling case asap!

born4sky
Oct 7, 2011, 02:32 PM
How is this case holding for everyone? since it's almost 6 months from beginning of this thread.

My smelly cover was replaced by them to non smelly one :)

gigaguy
Oct 9, 2011, 10:13 AM
I still use my Yoobaos everyday. works fine. I have a black and a red one. haven't seen anything that beats it, but I got mine for $14ea when amazon discounted them months back.

mine is the 2 or 3rd gen, with mag on/off and no smell. I like that it is grippy too, I can carry it under my arm securely. I hate slippery cases.

toddybody
Oct 9, 2011, 09:21 PM
Ended up returning the last Yoobao...the ports just wouldnt fit right. Bought a Toblino 2 based on some reviews, and all I have to say is PERFECTION. Fits securely, much higher quality than the Yoobao, ample padding (slightly thicker than with Yoobao), and the ports are perfectly accessible. I cant recommend it high enough (and Im the pickiest person when it comes to finding cases for my beloved iOS devices).

dqfayi
Oct 9, 2011, 10:45 PM
it must be a good case for our device. How about iPhone 4S, does it use for iPhone 4S too?

Annerz
Oct 11, 2011, 02:28 PM
I'm glad I just saw this post because I was looking at that case a while back. Thanks!

TB07-NJ
Oct 11, 2011, 04:08 PM
That's why it's called "PU" leather ..... because it stinks. I had a case for my Galaxy Tablet that was just as bad (or worse).

stealthmode29
Oct 11, 2011, 07:37 PM
Just returned this Case today as well. I'm not really sure why this has so many excellent reviews, here were my issues:

-When folded into viewing mode, the leather is too soft so it doesn't stand and instead rolls backward.

-Alignment wasn't stellar- also please please take note, the border of the ipad will not be equal all around when fully installed in the case- notice how the left side is thicker even in the pics- ok thats not a big deal but why didnt they just make it equal on all sides?

-Mine came pre-creased on the front no less.

As far as the other issues, magnets, smell etc. i had no issues there.

Just my .02 cents. Hope this helps. Also goes to show that you can't trust Amazon reviews. 600 + and no one mentioned those issues hmm..

swedefish
Oct 12, 2011, 07:53 PM
As with everything else, you get what you pay for. Applies to Apple hardware as well as gear. I don't understand why people don't get this.

fawltybean
Jan 24, 2012, 05:45 PM
Just returned this Case today as well. I'm not really sure why this has so many excellent reviews, here were my issues:

-When folded into viewing mode, the leather is too soft so it doesn't stand and instead rolls backward.

-Alignment wasn't stellar- also please please take note, the border of the ipad will not be equal all around when fully installed in the case- notice how the left side is thicker even in the pics- ok thats not a big deal but why didnt they just make it equal on all sides?

-Mine came pre-creased on the front no less.

As far as the other issues, magnets, smell etc. i had no issues there.

Just my .02 cents. Hope this helps. Also goes to show that you can't trust Amazon reviews. 600 + and no one mentioned those issues hmm..

Mine came pre-creased too on the front. I am sure at the same place. That is what I have seen on most of the YouTube videos-can't trust these video reviews at all. I think these companies pay reviewers for good reviews. So they claim them as genuine leather even when they know it is not true.

My case had magnets(too weak) issue and smell issue. But aligned perfectly.

RoeyShenberg
Jan 25, 2012, 04:42 PM
i have the executive for months now, it never smells bad, and the magnet works great.

this case is awesome.

quadchick10
Jan 27, 2012, 08:56 PM
I just purchased version 3 of the Yoobao case in red from amazon.com. I am extremely impressed with it! It doesn't smell and the magnets are not too strong, but strong enough to keep the flap closed at all times. I was so happy with it, that I purchased another one in the brown/tan. My husband saw mine and purchased it in black. This version three has fixed all of the aforementioned problems with the earlier versions.

dhcl604
Jan 27, 2012, 09:08 PM
I had purchased one of the originals and the problem that I found with that one was that the iPad would eventually slide out. I had to put some double back tape on the flap to prevent it from sliding. Does the one you purchased seem like the iPad will stay secured?

mmangal
Jan 29, 2012, 12:40 AM
This smelling issue is scaring me! I'll stick to my regular sleeve for now!

lewdvig
Mar 18, 2012, 12:53 PM
It's made out of pig skin, maybe that's it. The skin itself or the treatments they use on it.

I had a yoobao case on my first gen and I loved it. The smell went away.

Buildbright
Mar 18, 2012, 01:33 PM
You get what you pay for. You think your going to get top grain leather for $30?

gravytrain84
Mar 19, 2012, 12:02 AM
It's made out of pig skin, maybe that's it. The skin itself or the treatments they use on it.

I had a yoobao case on my first gen and I loved it. The smell went away.

Same here. Great case and I will be buying a new one when the new colors are out.

enola
Dec 4, 2013, 03:43 AM
No more bad smells from Yoobao leather cases, as they use real cow leather now.So do not worry to buy them, they are really good !

Nhwhazup
Dec 4, 2013, 06:35 AM
No more bad smells from Yoobao leather cases, as they use real cow leather now.So do not worry to buy them, they are really good !

Which device did you buy for? iPad Air? From what website and seller? I absolutely loved my Yoobao for my IPad 3.

If your new case is for the Air, please show photos and discuss more details. Would love to hear more.

enola
Dec 10, 2013, 02:34 PM
Which device did you buy for? iPad Air? From what website and seller? I absolutely loved my Yoobao for my IPad 3.

If your new case is for the Air, please show photos and discuss more details. Would love to hear more.

I bought an Ipad Air case from Ebay, the seller name rona_uk .I will do that in couple of days