PDA

View Full Version : smart cover leaving dirty horizontal lines?

kaelell
Apr 5, 2011, 11:41 AM
I initialy loved the smart cover (red leather) but found, they leave 3 great big horizontal dirty lines accross your screen rather then what was suggested by the advertising "microfiber that cleans your screen when you close it" ( paraphrasing)

I guess its partly because when using it as a stand, its the microfiber side which is making contact with the surface, be it a desk or a table, which in some cases might be dusty, dust which then transfers to the screen?

anyone else have similar experiences?

GoCubsGo
Apr 5, 2011, 11:43 AM
I know the Apple iPad portfolio case does this to my iPad ... easy to wipe off but semi annoying all the same.

manticore999
Apr 5, 2011, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I noticed that with mine too. I have a new case coming today, so I'll be ditching the smart cover. It's a great idea, but I wanted more protection that it provides.

brayhite
Apr 5, 2011, 11:44 AM
But they're easily removable, right? That's my main concern. My iPhone 4 screen gets greasy looking all the time, but as long as a clean tissue can wipe it off, then that's all I care about.

Gotta think long-term.

kaelell
Apr 5, 2011, 11:52 AM
But they're easily removable, right? That's my main concern. My iPhone 4 screen gets greasy looking all the time, but as long as a clean tissue can wipe it off, then that's all I care about.

Gotta think long-term.

yea it is easily wipeable, just a bit frustrating at times, because if you wipe down your iPad before leaving the house, close the case and pack it away in your bag. When you next take it out to use it, there will be 3 big dusty lines and you will have to carry a wipe. Its fine if it picked up smudges, fingerprints etc during use and you would just wipe clean at the end of a session ready to be used next time, but unfortunatly thats not quite the case.

Apart from this flaw, I do like the cover however, its a great demonstration piece to someone who hasnt ever used or held an iPad/smart case.

marshy82
Apr 5, 2011, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I noticed that with mine too. I have a new case coming today, so I'll be ditching the smart cover. It's a great idea, but I wanted more protection that it provides.

Which case did you buy?

zackwhitman
Apr 5, 2011, 03:20 PM
clean off your smartcover every once in a while? dust might build up in the 3 cracks and guess what you might actually have to clean it off like everything else in this world and then you wont have to clean off your ipad EVERY time you open it.:)

manticore999
Apr 5, 2011, 03:23 PM
I got the Targus Versavu case. Not like there are tons of options yet, but I like that it will rotate the Ipad so it will stand up in portrait configuration, which is how I like to read books - and I read a lot!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004N62HZI

v66jack
Apr 5, 2011, 03:28 PM
Having the same problem. Im not sure exactly how it cleans the screen, just seems to leave massive lines.

If someone came up with a cover which cleaned off fingerprints. That's where the $$$ is.

number84
Apr 5, 2011, 03:35 PM
clean off your smartcover every once in a while? dust might build up in the 3 cracks and guess what you might actually have to clean it off like everything else in this world and then you wont have to clean off your ipad EVERY time you open it.:)

curious, how you would clean the smart cover?

jamets515
Apr 5, 2011, 03:42 PM
I'm still tempted by one of those Miniot covers. The design doesn't look like there would be any space for dirt to build up but I'm going to wait it out a bit longer and see what other case makers do as a smart cover alternative. I like my neoprene slip case though. Front and back protection. Only problem is it's a bit loose as it was made for iPad 1.

v66jack
Apr 5, 2011, 03:59 PM

Maybe we should try vacuuming it?

gatearray
Apr 5, 2011, 04:11 PM

I find a 2.5" dry paint brush works wonders, just as it did on the original Apple iPad case. That microfiber traps dust like a mutha, a light brushing lifts it out and sends it airborne. Circle of life, beautiful in it's way. :)

I think I was one of the only folks with a clean "like new" iPad case having used it for an entire year to boot. Most I saw out and about were filthy and disgusting, mine looked like brand new.

number84
Apr 5, 2011, 04:16 PM
maybe i'll give those 2 suggestions a try once i notice mine getting dirty. i was also thinking maybe those lint brushes (the ones you go one in one direction only). but doubt this will help with any grease that the cover picks up off the screen.

smart cover is a neat idea....but definitely wasn't completely thought out.

Xeperu
Apr 5, 2011, 04:19 PM
iPad2 : Work of wizards and magic
Smart cover: work of satan

I ditched mine for a STM Skinny.

Maybe we should try vacuuming it?

I used duct tape to clean it, worked well.

bass93
Apr 5, 2011, 04:25 PM
Yours leaves horizontal lines? That's weird...cuz my friend's one has vertical lines...

*Note the sarcasm*

thesiren
Apr 5, 2011, 08:42 PM
Yours leaves horizontal lines? That's weird...cuz my friend's one has vertical lines...

*Note the sarcasm*

This.

Vertical. Not horizontal. And this seriously is not rocket science, guys. The smart cover is not dirty -- your screen was -- and your smart cover's microfiber cleaned it by absorbing the oils your mitts left behind.

The lines? Partitions in the cover where the magnets do not meet, and thusly, the microfiber does not make contact with the screen.

Go to college FFS

LightSpeed1
Apr 6, 2011, 02:34 AM
I carry a microfiber cloth around with my iPad. So if the horizontal lines bother me too much I just wipe them off.

Xeperu
Apr 6, 2011, 03:07 AM
This.

Vertical. Not horizontal. And this seriously is not rocket science, guys. The smart cover is not dirty -- your screen was -- and your smart cover's microfiber cleaned it by absorbing the oils your mitts left behind.

The lines? Partitions in the cover where the magnets do not meet, and thusly, the microfiber does not make contact with the screen.

Go to college FFS

I'm sure you feel all high and mighty pointing out something that I'm sure OP thought off. The point is that the smart cover is faulty by design. Overal it's better to have a fully smudged screen (at least it's all the same and less distracting) than having 3 very smudgy lines in a field of lesser smudge.

And no, the smartcover doesn't "clean" it in the sense that I still have to do with my loose microfibre cloth.

The best solution in my case was putting on a anti glare film which reduced smudging by a lot.

Also, the smart cover will get dirty, where do you think all the grease and dust it picks up?

Also, "it's not rocket science" implies that it's a very simple thing to grasp, why would they need to go to college? Then again, American college is nothing more than expensive daycare for adults, so you might have a point.

needthephone
Apr 6, 2011, 03:35 AM
I agree, the smart over is a brilliant idea but does have this flaw.

A guy where I work has an ipad with a smart cover and he pointed out the same thing. Iv'e noticed that he has dirty bands across teh screen too.

What they need to do is to have the segment which touches the surface the outside of teh cover. When you do this with teh current cover it collapses though. They need a fold out liner maybe

bpaluzzi
Apr 6, 2011, 03:54 AM
Then again, American college is nothing more than expensive daycare for adults, so you might have a point.

Are you serious? "American colleges" are the best universities in the world.

Our primary and secondary education systems may have problems, but there's still nothing that touches our universities. Try again.

http://www.arwu.org/ARWU2010.jsp
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2010
http://www.usnews.com/education/worlds-best-universities/articles/2010/09/21/worlds-best-universities-top-400-

Xeperu
Apr 6, 2011, 04:27 AM

Our primary and secondary education systems may have problems, but there's still nothing that touches our universities. Try again.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2010
http://www.usnews.com/education/worlds-best-universities/articles/2010/09/21/worlds-best-universities-top-400-

Perhaps on the MSc and PhD levels. I teach at a European and Asian university and my experience can tell you that US BSc students struggle to keep up with the European and Asian BSc students with over the line lower grades and more hours spend studying.

Our highest dropout rates are from US students, who generally we're top of their class in the states.

We hear stories from US PhD students who are pretty much sleepless in their doctorate phase because of the insane level increase. EU and Asian students seem to cope much better with the perhaps limited increase in level.

On the other note, EU and Asian students seem to thrive at US MSc and PhD instutions because of the general lower level gap.
Try again.

bpaluzzi
Apr 6, 2011, 04:40 AM
Perhaps on the MSc and PhD levels. I teach at a European and Asian university and my experience can tell you that US BSc students struggle to keep up with the European and Asian BSc students with over the line lower grades and more hours spend studying.

Our highest dropout rates are from US students, who generally we're top of their class in the states.

We hear stories from US PhD students who are pretty much sleepless in their doctorate phase because of the insane level increase. EU and Asian students seem to cope much better with the perhaps limited increase in level.

On the other note, EU and Asian students seem to thrive at US MSc and PhD instutions because of the general lower level gap.
Try again.

You're comparing students, not universities. And as long as we're talking in anecdotes, I know plenty of foreign-born students that crashed and burned in my US university (undergraduate and graduate programs). Anecdotes are useless. Look at third-party rankings, EVERY one of which shows US universities dominating the top of the rankings, with UK universities also making a strong showing. The rest of Europe and Asia are far, far behind.

rcp27
Apr 6, 2011, 07:33 AM

Psst, "Cambridge University, United Kingdom" (ranked 1st on two of the three listings) is NOT an "American college". So much for a world class education system.

Muscleflex
Apr 6, 2011, 07:38 AM
sheez - why dont you all just shut up and get back on topic! :mad:

bpaluzzi
Apr 6, 2011, 07:41 AM
Psst, "Cambridge University, United Kingdom" (ranked 1st on two of the three listings) is NOT an "American college". So much for a world class education system.

After all, it's only the first on the list that matters. :rolleyes:

kaelell
Apr 6, 2011, 09:28 AM
This.

Go to college FFS

1) Bass93 was actualy taking the P** , joking, being humourous.. you know? with all the "which way do you hold it" comments. but maybe that went over your head.

2) Maybe you have a special custom made smart cover, because I wasnt aware the partitions in the cover had magnets too! ?

3) Yes I am sure everyone in the thread is well aware, the reason for the lines is the partitions, the thread wasn't about "why is this happening, what possible reason could there be!" it was about the poor design on an otherwise greatly designed product. but thanks for stating the blatently obvious.

4) The marks being the lack-of cleaning rather then the addition of dust, was actualy the most intelligent thing you wrote , those few little words leave hope for you yet, thank you for your input.

5) we all promise to go to college right after you finish high school.

jaimeastin
Apr 6, 2011, 02:28 PM
YOU LIE!

Didnt steve jobs say that it was designed with a microfiber to keep the screen clean?

LOL

I know, one of my rants on returning it myself. All it does is collects the smudges together in an annoying but easy to find place so you can clean the screen, lol:rolleyes:

I just received my Yoobao case and splash screen protector for my ipad. It is nice, but has a funky smell to it... The fit and finish is about 90% perfect. Overall I give a 8.5/10. The screen protectors are nothing to write home about, but get the job done! I am sure this combination will last me a long time.

dagomike
Apr 6, 2011, 03:11 PM
I think the issue is partly the microfiber material picks up oil and also the design make it pretty obvious oil has been redeposited. Minor issue, but annoying when you clean the glass and it's dirty right away.

iPad 2 Smart Cover seems a grease trap, leaves marks behind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFlSyLT7RAA

Meever
Apr 6, 2011, 05:42 PM
Yeah, so basically smart covers suck.

sotie
Apr 6, 2011, 08:44 PM
It's a real pain but I've been cleaning the inside of my smart cover with a wet washcloth and dishsoap twice a week to cut down on the oil transfer to the ipad screen. After cleaning I dry with a hair dryer.

jamesarm97
Apr 6, 2011, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I showed someone my iPad / smart cover and the first thing they said was "I guess the smart cover doesn't keep the screen clean like they said". I looked at it and thought the opposite. It is cleaning the screen, the only problem is there are three seems that don't touch the screen, therefore that part is not being cleaned. It could be worse, the whole screen could be covered by fingerprints.

Chip NoVaMac
Apr 6, 2011, 10:06 PM
So far since Sunday I have not had any issues with the Smart Case and the screen....

BFizzzle
Mar 27, 2012, 01:12 PM
This.

Go to college FFS

lololol think about what you’re saying...

so in order for there to be continuous long streaks of smear marks in all three creases, my ENTIRE screen would have to look equally "greasy or dirty" before the smart cover "cleans %90 of my screen" leaving those three spaces still greasy. That would be one noticeably dirty screen..

this is not the case. our screens our more dirty looking after sitting covered...

your higher education is pointless without logic.

get your head out of your own a$$ FFS

Digidesign
Mar 27, 2012, 01:18 PM
... aaaaand back on topic:

The way I use the smart cover to clean is I fold it up into a triangle, pop it off and use it like a microfiber "bar/wedge" to wipe the surface gently. But make sure the cover is free of dirt so nothing will scratch your screen.

Use a lint roller on the inside cover if you notice dirt/grime building up.
http://www.defuzzer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/lint_roller.jpg

Rogzilla
Mar 27, 2012, 01:24 PM
Easy fix:

Instead of just peeling your Smart Cover back, slide it back. Don't need to do it all the time, just every now and then (although if you don't do it often enough, it will take a few passes to clear the lines).

Although, when I use a stylus, I put a soft, cloth wrist band around my hand so I'm always cleaning the screen when I'm drawing/taking notes.

ReallyBigFeet
Mar 27, 2012, 02:17 PM
Use a stylus, wash your hands, problem solved.

wrkactjob
Mar 27, 2012, 02:49 PM
Dust!!!

low in calories.

thesiren
Mar 27, 2012, 09:16 PM
lololol think about what you’re saying...

<snip>

get your head out of your own a$$ FFS

dudebro, did you just seriously dig up a year old thread just to quote me? lol
I'm worried about you. U feelin' alright?

Oppressed
Mar 27, 2012, 10:14 PM
This.

Go to college FFS

Quoted for truth.

kaelell
Mar 28, 2012, 03:46 AM
lol :)

BFizzzle
Mar 28, 2012, 12:17 PM
dudebro, did you just seriously dig up a year old thread just to quote me? lol
I'm worried about you. U feelin' alright?

no broseph,

i used the search function because i was having this problem, didn tknow the thread was "closed".. lol

boshii
Mar 28, 2012, 01:21 PM
It's horizontal lines when it's in landscape. ;)

brand
Mar 31, 2012, 11:35 PM
I initialy loved the smart cover (red leather) but found, they leave 3 great big horizontal dirty lines accross your screen

Try rotating the iPad by 90º and the "3 great big horizontal dirty lines across your screen" should magically go disappear.

ideal.dreams
Mar 31, 2012, 11:39 PM
It's not putting the dirty lines there, it's just not cleaning them when it cleans the rest of your screen. Mine does the same thing. Nothing to worry about, they come off easily with a soft cloth.

If you'll notice, the lines appear where the cover has its folds, and there is no contact from the soft microfiber cloth on the smart cover to the screen at those points. The rest of the cover that does come into contact with the screen actually cleans it.