Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaylav1024

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
I have the MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008). January 2011 I purchased a new charger. Everything was going fine until last night.

1. It will go from charging to not charging. Sometimes, when I moved the charger cord it would start charging(almost like a short). But, I think it's much more complicated than that.
2. It will randomly shut off. I have the charger connected because I'm trying to get it to charge... it only shuts down when it is not charging(but when the charger is connected)
3. The System Profiler says that the charger is NOT connected. When I tried to do system updates it said to connect the charger. It was plugged in but it won't read.
4. I also checked the battery info in System Profiler. It says the condition is "good".
5. I have all the updates up to date.
6. I've shut it off and reset the SMC.
7. I have a hard time turning it back on. I have to press the power bottom at least 3 times before it starts back up.

Nothing seems to be working. I plan on taking it in to a store, but I have midterms THIS WEEK and this is the worst time for me to make an extra trip. Thankfully I have access to my boyfriends computer.

David-fr

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
Bay Area
I have the MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008). January 2011 I purchased a new charger. Everything was going fine until last night.

1. It will go from charging to not charging. Sometimes, when I moved the charger cord it would start charging(almost like a short). But, I think it's much more complicated than that.
2. It will randomly shut off. I have the charger connected because I'm trying to get it to charge... it only shuts down when it is not charging(but when the charger is connected)
3. The System Profiler says that the charger is NOT connected. When I tried to do system updates it said to connect the charger. It was plugged in but it won't read.
4. I also checked the battery info in System Profiler. It says the condition is "good".
7. I have a hard time turning it back on. I have to press the power bottom at least 3 times before it starts back up.

Nothing seems to be working. I plan on taking it in to a store, but I have midterms THIS WEEK and this is the worst time for me to make an extra trip. Thankfully I have access to my boyfriends computer.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1125901/

It looks like a hardware issue, call apple and set an appoinment. Also if you have an extra magsafe brick try to use it and see if that solves the issue

coolhep007

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2012
Is your problem solved??

Hi,

Did you take it to the store? Is your poblem solved???
I have the same problem. My Macbook pro is not charging. If I move the cord (specially at the port) it charges. But again if the cord is slightly disturbed then it doesn't charge. The problem got worse as my Mac randomly shuts down (especially when I remove the mag at the Macbook charging port). I dono what to do. Apple care (Genius) is far from my place. Could anyone suggest what I should do? I checked the battery status in system profiler and it says NORMAL. The details are as follows:

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number: 9G022045SD3NB
Manufacturer: DP
Device name: bq20z451
Pack Lot Code: 0000
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 0201
Hardware Revision: 0002
Cell Revision: 0164
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 1909
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 4790
Health Information:
Cycle count: 636
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): -762
Voltage (mV): 11308

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Wake On LAN: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Battery Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 60
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 17
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Current Power Source: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: No
Charging: No

I believe you had the same problem. Please suggest.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.