PDA

View Full Version : SwitchEasy Cara (iPad 2)

psychonaut
Apr 5, 2011, 02:11 PM
I am not allowed to link to it but add another case to the ipad 2 stack. Looks like SwitchEasy is now selling the Cara for the iPad 2. Available in Black, White, Red and Red/White.

I ordered White since black is sold out already. Looks like they are shipping now.

No sleep / wake and no built in stand but for a standard book folio it looks pretty good and seems to offer great protection.

Seems a bit expensive but it does seem to add a lot of protection.

gigemzach
Apr 5, 2011, 06:16 PM
Awesome!! Thanks for the heads up. I really love their screen protectors, but I think I might wait for the canvas.

drenline
Apr 5, 2011, 06:52 PM
One of my favorite iPhone/iPad accessory company, thanks.

mysterygirl
Apr 5, 2011, 07:54 PM
Thanks for posting! I read and watched a lot of great reviews for the original CARA for the iPad 1. This is the case that I had decided on for my iPad 2, until I jumped the gun and ordered a Portenzo. I'm still excited about the Portenzo, but went ahead and placed an order for a red CARA as well!

Blorzoga
Apr 5, 2011, 08:36 PM
I am not allowed to link to it but add another case to the ipad 2 stack. Looks like SwitchEasy is now selling the Cara for the iPad 2. Available in Black, White, Red and Red/White.

I ordered White since black is sold out already. Looks like they are shipping now.

No sleep / wake and no built in stand but for a standard book folio it looks pretty good and seems to offer great protection.

Seems a bit expensive but it does seem to add a lot of protection.

Man, that is one ugly case.

dylanursula
Apr 5, 2011, 08:38 PM
Man, that is one ugly case.

Must agree... Waiting for better looking cases Switcheasy

kpm1301
Apr 5, 2011, 09:07 PM
Hoping they come out with the Vulcan for the iPad 2 soon.
I have the one for the iPhone and the case with the screen protector are really nice.

Juppers
Apr 6, 2011, 01:04 AM
It has the dreaded switcheasy logo bump on the back, ensuring you will never be able to lay it down without a wobble. I wish they would make their logo flush with the back. And not even a smart lid? I'm going to pass until they regain their sense.

bbedwards
Apr 6, 2011, 12:06 PM
I for one think the cara is a hot looking case! If it were available 2 weeks ago I would've bought it. But alas, I went with the incase book jacket and no turning back now.

oghowie
Apr 6, 2011, 01:38 PM
Not bad looking but it's hard to purchase a case with a cover that doesn't double as a stand these days.

mysterygirl
Apr 11, 2011, 10:34 PM
I received the Cara over the weekend and thought I'd post a few pictures and initial impressions. The fit of the case is REALLY tight. It took me a long while to get the iPad in and I can't imagine now trying to get it out, lol! I do have a BSE skin on my iPad, so that may significantly impact fit. Once in, the case feels really sturdy and nice. In fact, it's quite heavy. The back is composed of a semi-hard material, while the front surface is very hard and rigid to protect against any screen damage. It's also scratch resistant, so should hold up well with time. And while glossy, it's not nearly as glossy and shiny as Switcheasy's product pictures make it seem. For me, this is a good thing, as I don't want it attracting unreasonable amounts of attention.

Switcheasy shipped almost immediately. The case also came with two (cheap, but functional) plastic stands (one is pictured below), a screen protector, cleaning cloth, and dock port and earphone jack plugs. The plugs don't seem to fit well, so may prove useless.

All in all, I'm pleased with the case. This is the case I'll use when I travel and want solid protection from abuse. I have another case which I will likely use day-to-day, but the Switcheasy does the trick for specific purposes. It was about $53 shipped.

ethics101
Apr 16, 2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the photos! I'm seriously considering this case (or the canvas). My only concern is the little opening when the front cover is folded back? Also, in the stand photo, did you fold the front cover behind the back cover to put it on the stand? Will this work with a invisishield front and back?

mysterygirl
Apr 17, 2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the photos! I'm seriously considering this case (or the canvas). My only concern is the little opening when the front cover is folded back? Also, in the stand photo, did you fold the front cover behind the back cover to put it on the stand? Will this work with a invisishield front and back?

I was also originally concerned about that opening, but don't find it bothersome. It definitely leaves some areas of the iPad exposed when opened, but since I have a BSE skin on mine, I'm not concerned about it getting scratched. I think the fit is VERY tight with the skin on (front and back). It works, but just barely.

When using the stand, the front cover hangs over the back of the stand, creating a triangular shape. I think it would also work folded directly behind the back cover (traveling so can't try it out now).

Hope that helps!

ethics101
Apr 17, 2011, 09:21 PM
I was also originally concerned about that opening, but don't find it bothersome. It definitely leaves some areas of the iPad exposed when opened, but since I have a BSE skin on mine, I'm not concerned about it getting scratched. I think the fit is VERY tight with the skin on (front and back). It works, but just barely.

When using the stand, the front cover hangs over the back of the stand, creating a triangular shape. I think it would also work folded directly behind the back cover (traveling so can't try it out now).

Hope that helps!

Thanks! This helped a lot! I ended up ordering this case. I wanted to be different and I feel this case is unique compared to the alternatives (Switch Easy Canvas) I was going to take it to a mall kiosk to get a full body shield so I guess the back won't be an issue. This will be my everyday case as I will be putting it in my backpack and will be using it as my lecture computer. I'll need the extra protection. How does the weight feel? Will it be a burden while trying to read an E-book? Now, I just have to find a cheap portable keyboard haha.

mysterygirl
Apr 18, 2011, 02:19 PM
How does the weight feel? Will it be a burden while trying to read an E-book?

Unfortunately, I think it's pretty heavy--that's the cost of the front screen protection, which I think is very good. I do use my iPad as an ereader, but am generally resting it against my knees or something, so the weight is less an issue for me. But, this case definitely adds weight!

ethics101
Apr 18, 2011, 05:50 PM
Unfortunately, I think it's pretty heavy--that's the cost of the front screen protection, which I think is very good. I do use my iPad as an ereader, but am generally resting it against my knees or something, so the weight is less an issue for me. But, this case definitely adds weight!

Yeah, if I'm reading it'll be on my knees so no big deal. Ordered last night and just got shipping confirm!

ethics101
Apr 20, 2011, 08:37 PM
Black Cara came today. Ordered Sunday night. Fast turn around. iPad ships tomorrow!