PDA

View Full Version : Love the new Dock

AppleGoddess
Apr 5, 2011, 08:50 PM
The difference is great , the original was hard to dock with one hand now its super easy. Thanks Apple.

JLemm
Apr 5, 2011, 08:51 PM
pics???

fizzwinkus
Apr 5, 2011, 09:08 PM
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC940
http://www.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=ipad2+dock&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1118&bih=1084

pics are incredibly hard to come by.

dru106
Apr 5, 2011, 09:12 PM
Whats the purpose? all it does is just charge and sync the ipad in landscape mode?

Cole JM
Apr 5, 2011, 09:12 PM
Whats the purpose? all it does is just charge and sync the ipad in landscape mode?

Yep

Patriot24
Apr 5, 2011, 09:16 PM
I noticed from the images that the dock appears to wrap around the front of the iPad. This concerns me that I won't be able to dock the iPad with the smart cover on. Does anyone have any experience with the new dock and smart cover together?

gatearray
Apr 5, 2011, 09:19 PM

Portrait mode, actually. There's also an audio jack on the back.

chiefpavvy
Apr 5, 2011, 09:31 PM
It's a shame Apple didn't design a proper desk dock for the iPad 2. The thing they're selling as a $30 "Dock" is worth about $2.50 tops. That sort of dock is fine for small devices like iPod and iPhone but it just doesn't cut it for an iPad.

DribbleCastle
Apr 5, 2011, 09:46 PM
Where did you pick it up? At an Apple Store? Called my store today but they said they were out of stock. Dunno if they have been getting steady stock or not.

Chip NoVaMac
Apr 5, 2011, 09:49 PM
I noticed from the images that the dock appears to wrap around the front of the iPad. This concerns me that I won't be able to dock the iPad with the smart cover on. Does anyone have any experience with the new dock and smart cover together?

With the Smart Cover I am guessing here that it would not fit. Yet the Smart Cover is so easy to remove compared to the old Apple Case for the iPad. My question is with the iPad 2 and the dock, would/will it be compatible with a skin like the one from SGP?

Mufasa804
Apr 5, 2011, 10:32 PM
I ordered mine off apple.com and it's supposed to be arriving April 15th...

I've been checking with my local apple store since they're walking distance and it amazes me how many of their employees dont even know of this dock's existence.

AppleGoddess
Apr 6, 2011, 06:08 AM
Where did you pick it up? At an Apple Store? Called my store today but they said they were out of stock. Dunno if they have been getting steady stock or not.I was one of the first to order the iPad and dock online, I received the iPad on the first flight out.
The dock came last Friday.
The dock is much better then the first version it's much easier to dock the iPad in.

I still have my original dock and it fits but is hard to dock and undock.

jmgregory1
Apr 6, 2011, 06:21 AM
I think a more usable dock that is stable and lets you use the iPad in either orientation - and also have your iPhone next to it, makes more sense. Something like these. Both allow the iPad and iPhone to be connected. The one version has a traditional "office" desk accessory look and the other is more modern. Let me know what you think. I designed the office version and the modern one was an offshoot of that.

jaw04005
Apr 6, 2011, 07:21 AM
Smart Cover is a no go. That's very annoying. You can put it on afterwards if you don't care that the cover is bowed out over the dock's lip.

I actually found the new dock is sturdier, but it's harder to dock the iPad. It took a few tries to get my iPad in correctly due to the rounded dock connector.

It would have been nice if two dock connectors were included (one to charge, one to use the camera connection kit, etc). The dock base is big enough.

newagemac
Apr 6, 2011, 07:58 AM

The smart cover takes less than 2 seconds to take off. How is that a problem? These kinds of things are exactly why they designed it that way instead of the traditional case (no pun intended :D) where you pretty much can't use a dock at all because it requires taking the whole case off. And actually you can even leave the smart cover on in the "triangle" when it's in the dock.

Sodner
Apr 6, 2011, 08:08 AM
The smart cover takes less than 2 seconds to take off. How is that a problem? These kinds of things are exactly why they designed it that way instead of the traditional case (no pun intended :D) where you pretty much can't use a dock at all because it requires taking the whole case off. And actually you can even leave the smart cover on in the "triangle" when it's in the dock.

I'm a pretty big Apple fan boy, BUT COME ON! The freaking Apple dock does not work with the Apple smart cover? Are you freaking kidding me? I don't care how easy the thing is to take off. They tout how this cover was designed right along with the iPad. It's the "ingenious device" on this "magical product" and the f'n thing does not work with its dock.

Apple add this design flaw to the screen bleed and your really starting to piss me off. :mad:

BergerFan
Apr 6, 2011, 08:31 AM
DetroitBorg has another awesome video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaO2dDBPC3c&feature=youtube_gdata_player), going through every facet of the iPad 2 Dock. :cool:

Satori
Apr 6, 2011, 08:37 AM
I think a more usable dock that is stable and lets you use the iPad in either orientation - and also have your iPhone next to it, makes more sense. Something like these. Both allow the iPad and iPhone to be connected. The one version has a traditional "office" desk accessory look and the other is more modern. Let me know what you think. I designed the office version and the modern one was an offshoot of that.

They both look great, but how would the connector work with these designs? In other words are they stands or docks?

jclardy
Apr 6, 2011, 09:24 AM
I ordered one about a week ago and shipping times were 1-3 weeks. Supposedly it will ship later next week.

I wish Apple would have made the dock a little more portable though by just adding a hinge that would allow the back stand to fold over and make it flat. This dock is great for your desk but if you want to put it in a bag it will be jabbing everything with its large lip.

darngooddesign
Apr 6, 2011, 09:33 AM
...It would have been nice if two dock connectors were included (one to charge, one to use the camera connection kit, etc). The dock base is big enough.

It says that all Apple accessories can be plugged into the back of the dock.

Patriot24
Apr 6, 2011, 10:02 AM

It is poor design. I fully expect the dock to be wholly incompatible with 3rd party accessories/cases, but not with an Apple product that they touted as being one of the best products they've ever designed and acted as if buying the cover alongside the iPad was a foregone conclusion for all buyers.

Apple has come to expect a lot from themselves on the design of their products, and consumers are no exception. I feel like the diehards love to trumpet Apple's superior design, but when they do something boneheaded like this, the consumer is just supposed to pay $29 and deal with it.

Although they do all sorts of nifty things these days, docks have traditionally been used as a quick way to pop in your devices for charging and syncing. For me personally, no amount of effort or sacrifice of protection is worth the trouble if I can plug in a 30-pin connector with less haggling.

I'll save my $29. Do as you wish. Thanks. :)

darngooddesign
Apr 6, 2011, 10:19 AM
A better question is how the dock works if you have the cover behind the iPad; flat, folded in half, or folded in the triangle?

jmgregory1
Apr 6, 2011, 12:53 PM
They both look great, but how would the connector work with these designs? In other words are they stands or docks?

Thanks for the compliment. They both have multiple openings at the base of the stand that allows the connector to fit through. With the classic design, the cord then feeds through the back of the unit (with a removable back panel to aid in feeding the cable through).

Here is a shot of the base where the iPad sits. You can see that the multiple openings allow for placement of the iPad centered, or justified left or right. In the portrait mode, there is room next to the iPad to hold an iPhone (in portrait mode) and both can be plugged in at the same time. It's very functional - not tippy at all. The classic version has a felt back support and the acrylic version has a matte finish to keep it fingerprint-free.

jmgregory1
Apr 6, 2011, 12:58 PM
I should also note that these styles of stands will work even if your iPad is in a folio case - up to .75" total thickness. I just need to find some retailer to stock them. One is made in a furniture factory in China and the other in Taiwan. I'm thinking they'd retail for $39.99 to start with room for improvement with volume. I'm not sure why no other company has come up with items like this - but I suppose my posting here will change that - did I mention these images and the products shown are copyrighted?

physicsguy13
Apr 6, 2011, 01:08 PM
I don't know why people are surprised that it doesn't work with a smart cover. The iPhone 4 dock and the universal dock using the iPhone 4 insert didn't work with the bumper.

My question is will it work with a skin on the back?

tbayrgs
Apr 6, 2011, 01:20 PM
It is poor design. I fully expect the dock to be wholly incompatible with 3rd party accessories/cases, but not with an Apple product that they touted as being one of the best products they've ever designed and acted as if buying the cover alongside the iPad was a foregone conclusion for all buyers.

Apple has come to expect a lot from themselves on the design of their products, and consumers are no exception. I feel like the diehards love to trumpet Apple's superior design, but when they do something boneheaded like this, the consumer is just supposed to pay $29 and deal with it.

Although they do all sorts of nifty things these days, docks have traditionally been used as a quick way to pop in your devices for charging and syncing. For me personally, no amount of effort or sacrifice of protection is worth the trouble if I can plug in a 30-pin connector with less haggling.

I'll save my $29. Do as you wish. Thanks. :)

How is this any different from the first dock and the original iPad case? While it's certainly not perfect, seems like the new dock/smart cover combo works better than the old dock/Apple case. In fact, if you made a dock that accommodated the smart cover, it probably wouldn't work well with a naked iPad. Can't please everyone all of the time.

Patriot24
Apr 6, 2011, 02:36 PM
How is this any different from the first dock and the original iPad case? While it's certainly not perfect, seems like the new dock/smart cover combo works better than the old dock/Apple case. In fact, if you made a dock that accommodated the smart cover, it probably wouldn't work well with a naked iPad. Can't please everyone all of the time.

Not to be super nit picky, but just because there is a precedence of these types of conflicts with official accessories doesn't make it OK. These are exactly the types of lame issues that Apple fans routinely lambaste other manufacturers for.

I certainly don't expect Apple to please everyone all of the time. It just makes sense to me that the few accessories they sell for their devices would work together. *shrug*

iggypod
Apr 6, 2011, 02:42 PM
A better question is how the dock works if you have the cover behind the iPad; flat, folded in half, or folded in the triangle?

My iPad 2 dock arrived and it works FINE if you fold the smart cover back into a triangle (so it is essentially is on the side when docked/connected), then you do NOT need to take it off - I've successfully docked mine like this without any issues. Works great.

I also have a BSE on the back and it sits firmly on the dock with just enough room.

FYI, Folded in half or flat does not work.

darngooddesign
Apr 6, 2011, 02:56 PM
...In fact, if you made a dock that accommodated the smart cover, it probably wouldn't work well with a naked iPad. Can't please everyone all of the time.
Some people look for any reason to complain.

My iPad 2 dock arrived and it works FINE if you fold the smart cover back into a triangle (so it is essentially on the side when docked/connected), then you do NOT need to take it off. Works great. Folded in half or flat does not work.
Good to know that there really isn't a compatibility issue.

wfbnadador
Apr 6, 2011, 08:12 PM
My iPad 2 dock arrived and it works FINE if you fold the smart cover back into a triangle (so it is essentially on the side when docked/connected), then you do NOT need to take it off. Works great.

Folded in half or flat does not work.

It doesn't actually work this way (you'll notice the iPad tilting on the cover, not level on the dock). But really the solution is to just take it off, and leave it unless you're taking it somewhere. Clearly, both implementations are meant for different uses. Not really an excuse since all it needed was a slightly thinner base for clearance, but its not worth the sweat.

KittyKatta
Apr 7, 2011, 12:54 AM
Some people look for any reason to complain.
This is the standard response of someone who has no explanation for a decision. No solution? Attack the user.

Thank goodness the world isn't filled like people like this because how the heck would there ever be progress if we were all expected to conform or shut up about our personal opinions on how we would like things to work.

Satori
Apr 7, 2011, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the compliment. They both have multiple openings at the base of the stand that allows the connector to fit through. With the classic design, the cord then feeds through the back of the unit (with a removable back panel to aid in feeding the cable through).

Here is a shot of the base where the iPad sits. You can see that the multiple openings allow for placement of the iPad centered, or justified left or right. In the portrait mode, there is room next to the iPad to hold an iPhone (in portrait mode) and both can be plugged in at the same time. It's very functional - not tippy at all. The classic version has a felt back support and the acrylic version has a matte finish to keep it fingerprint-free.

I see -nice! Time to go into mass production then!

AppleGoddess
Apr 7, 2011, 06:12 AM
Anyone else get the dock ?

woodguy32
Apr 7, 2011, 08:46 AM
Bunch of different styles here.. and work with or without cases..

http://www.etsy.com/shop/woodguy32?ref=si_shop

rkdiddy
Apr 7, 2011, 11:41 AM
Personally I think Apple needs to make a dock that allows induction charging that would allow you to put the iPad/iPhone in portrait or landscape mode without the need of a physical connection.

A hybrid of sorts between these two:

http://s2.thisnext.com/media/largest_dimension/82CA7666.jpg
http://acdn-media.tecca.com/2011/02/26/motorola-dock-for-motorola-xoom-tablets-angleimage-320w.jpg

Good.Shepherd
Apr 7, 2011, 11:56 AM

Thanks for putting this up. How do we order/ track your progress?

Sodner
Apr 7, 2011, 12:11 PM
This is the standard response of someone who has no explanation for a decision. No solution? Attack the user.

Thank goodness the world isn't filled like people like this because how the heck would there ever be progress if we were all expected to conform or shut up about our personal opinions on how we would like things to work.

AMEN!

How long do we give them a pass based on past failures? "They've never done it right so...." So I freaking HOPED Apple would fix the issue in their latest "revolutionary and magical" product.

I love Apple. I'm a fanboy. Is this a major issue? No. But for heavens sake they touted this cover as the best thing since sliced bread and it can't be left in place when we put it into the dock THEY MADE?

Well maybe for the iPad 3! :rolleyes:

itcrashed
Apr 7, 2011, 12:17 PM
I received my dock yesterday.

It's a drastic improvement from the original iPad dock. The weight is better and the wider width makes it more stable.

It works great with my JustStickIt Carbon skin. But it isn't playing nice with my SGP front Crystal Film.

It seems that when the iPad is mounted, the pressure put against the edge of screen and film from the lipped edge of the dock is just enough to cause bubbles to form on that area of the crystal film.

Not sure if this is because the adhesive on the SGP film is weak or if this is something I'm just going to have to live with. I have the PS film arriving in a few days and I hope I don't have the same problem otherwise one of the two will have to go - either the front film or the dock!

eagleglen
Apr 7, 2011, 02:03 PM
Has anyone seen the new dock yet in an Apple store?

Sodner
Apr 7, 2011, 02:07 PM
Just got a shipping confirmation on mine. It's on it way from China!

woodguy32
Apr 7, 2011, 02:54 PM
Stuff for the desktop...

Can be used with a Case or without one.. even Book Style cases...No one offers that.. You should not have to remove your case to place it on a dock..

Some with USB hubs built in and even Hard drive Bases.. prefect next to the old Mac.. dual docks.. even triple docks.. for those who have it all..lol

This stuff goes with my Old time computer line.. Old style keyboards , Monitors and iMac covers...

All Custom Made.. here in the USA.. in my Hot Rod Woodie Shop.. Even have easy kit versions offered..

yea its weird stuff.. but it fits a natural decor... Not a Plastic Thingy... lots of Eras ...Art Deco to Victorian..err,... old tech

http://www.oldtimecomputer.com/6-photos-ipad-iphone7.jpg

Donz0r
Apr 8, 2011, 10:19 AM
Is the new dock heavy enough so that it stays on the desk when you remove the iPad? The first gen dock would lift up with the iPad when I lifted it up! I had to use 2 hands to undock it, one to hold the dock down and the other for the ipad.

Mufasa804
Apr 8, 2011, 09:43 PM
That looks amazing!! Where can I get one?

Stuff for the desktop...

Can be used with a Case or without one.. even Book Style cases...No one offers that.. You should not have to remove your case to place it on a dock..

Some with USB hubs built in and even Hard drive Bases.. prefect next to the old Mac.. dual docks.. even triple docks.. for those who have it all..lol

This stuff goes with my Old time computer line.. Old style keyboards , Monitors and iMac covers...

All Custom Made.. here in the USA.. in my Hot Rod Woodie Shop.. Even have easy kit versions offered..

yea its weird stuff.. but it fits a natural decor... Not a Plastic Thingy... lots of Eras ...Art Deco to Victorian..err,... old tech

http://www.oldtimecomputer.com/6-photos-ipad-iphone7.jpg

Iceage
Apr 9, 2011, 07:23 AM
Is the new dock heavy enough so that it stays on the desk when you remove the iPad? The first gen dock would lift up with the iPad when I lifted it up! I had to use 2 hands to undock it, one to hold the dock down and the other for the ipad.

I have the same question ...

DotCom2
Apr 9, 2011, 12:09 PM
I WANT A DOCK THAT WORKS WITH A CASE ON THE IPAD 2! :mad:

peteknopp
Apr 9, 2011, 02:36 PM
local authorised seller said dock 1 and 2 were the same. Both ipad 1 and 2 fit into it as easily as each other. have to hold dock to release both ipads. part number A1352 so not sure if really meant for 1 or 2 and whether one is wider than other!! looking at the MC##### part number, it seems that I have ipad 1 dock - no bother as I said they both dock and release the same?

iCHiRS
Apr 9, 2011, 05:04 PM
I'm a pretty big Apple fan boy, BUT COME ON! The freaking Apple dock does not work with the Apple smart cover? Are you freaking kidding me? I don't care how easy the thing is to take off. They tout how this cover was designed right along with the iPad. It's the "ingenious device" on this "magical product" and the f'n thing does not work with its dock.

Apple add this design flaw to the screen bleed and your really starting to piss me off. :mad:

Then maybe you should've looked into it before you purchased it...

eagleglen
Apr 11, 2011, 09:23 PM

Just picked up the new dock at an Apple store. The iPad 2 fits so much nicer on it than the previous dock design and feels a lot more sturdy too. When you take the iPad off however, the dock does lift up a little, so that you tend to want to hold it down with your hand or at least a finger. Even still, it works a lot better than the first, I wouldn't let it discourage you. It is a shame you have to remove the smart cover first; you won't if you use the first generation dock, but the second is still better.

gillilac
Apr 13, 2011, 05:23 PM
I received two ipad2 docs today. My first "wth?" was why won't it fit with the Smart Cover on. It's not a matter of ease of removal of the Smart Cover, its the protection. The purpose of the Smart Cover is to keep the dust off the ipad2. What good does it do if I uncover it while charging overnight for 8 hours? Duh, Apple?

iCHiRS
Apr 13, 2011, 10:27 PM
I received two ipad2 docs today. My first "wth?" was why won't it fit with the Smart Cover on. It's not a matter of ease of removal of the Smart Cover, its the protection. The purpose of the Smart Cover is to keep the dust off the ipad2. What good does it do if I uncover it while charging overnight for 8 hours? Duh, Apple?

Then maybe you should've looked into it before ordering. Duh. :D

DYER
Apr 14, 2011, 06:53 AM
I got my dock this morning and to be honest I did not think it was so bad at all.
Fair game it doesn't work perfectly with the smart cover but it does dock nicely and I do like the addition of an Audio Output which is opening up some new possibilities with regards to using the iPad as a morning alarm ^^
On the whole, I am very glad with the product! :D

DribbleCastle
Apr 25, 2011, 11:25 PM
Read this thread a while back. I've had the dock a few weeks now so decided to leave my feedback. Same as my apple store review.

I love this accessory. The only thing I didn't like about the new iPad 2 was how difficult it is to plug in the 30pin connector to the iPad. The dock really helps with this issue.

I tend to read on the iPad right before going to bed in the dark and its so much easier to dock the iPad then to find my usb cord and to attempt to plugin the device normally. The dock also makes an attractive addition to my nightstands overall look. Nice and clean.

Finally, I don't mind that the dock doesn't work with the smart cover on. I generally rip off the smart cover completely when I'm using the iPad so docking is not a problem. I only use the smart cover when I travel with the iPad or need a stand elsewhere.