PDA

View Full Version : Voice Over Recordings

debath2
Apr 6, 2011, 04:14 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the correct spot to post this query but I hope someone with audio knowledge can offer some advice/information regarding audio recordings into the ipad2. Thank you. :)

Ok - I hope this doesn't sound stupid but I suppose if I don't ask, I won't hear ... :)

I do voice-overs, NOT for movies or anything that special, just simple voice overs for training presentations, television and radio commercials, telephone on-hold or IVRs and the occasional video game avatar voice. I have a good, reliable client base and I want to keep them happy.

So - could an iPad2 work as a back-up/holiday recording device for me? I use a Sound Devices usbpre and a Shure SM7 mic. While my mic choice may sound strange to some considering everyone seems to use condenser mics for voices, this mic is the one I've found that works for me and over 16 years I've tried a few (Neumann and Rode included). I use the program Twisted Wave (after losing my PC where I'd used cool edit, cool edit pro and adobe audition) and I never thought I'd be comfortable using any audio program on the mac but Twisted Wave works and it works well (thankfully!) AND I actually get personal support when I email questions - great stuff.

Anyway, I digress - could I use an iPad2 for my voice-over recording by plugging in my Sound Devices usbpre directly or is there some sort of external device I'd need and if so, what is it and is it expensive?

Thanks for your help :-)
Cheers,
Deb