PDA

View Full Version : iPad 2 case similar to the oem Apple Case for iPad 1

silverblack
Apr 6, 2011, 02:32 PM
I picked up the new Belkin Slim iPad 2 Folio Stand (http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=543050) from Bestbuy (http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/belkin-belkin-slim-ipad-2-folio-stand-f8n605ebc00-f8n605ebc00/10167380.aspx?path=00e6cd469d5aad1867447c5a58455b08en02) today for my iPad 2. The price was $40, which I think was a better deal than the Apple Smart cover for iPad 2.

First impression:
The case is similar to the Apple case for the original (1st gen) iPad, especially when folded. It protects the entire iPad, front and back. The iPad fits very tightly, and it has holes to access all port, mic and cameras; except the sim slot. But you only need to undo the retaining flap to get to the sim door, without taking the iPad out of the case.

Details:
The folding design is a bit different as shown in the Belkin website, particularly in how it props up the iPad for display. However, it is rather similar to the Apple original case when folded, although not exactly in the same way (refer to photo). The case is slightly thicker on the side closer to the folding hinge, and thinner on the other side. The thickness is similar to the previous iPad case on the thinner side. So, overall, the Belkin case with iPad 2 feels just a bit thicker than the Apple case with iPad 1. However, recognizing that the Apple case was indeed the #1 thinnest case out there, this Belkin case deserves a #2; i.e., it's still much better than all other 3rd parties cases of similar design.

Material is also some sort of microfibre, like the Apple case, but perhaps a little thicker and a little better in quality. The surface appears to be less prone to showing finger grease. The inside of the case is black, and it feels like suede, which is likely to attract and show dust. All of the seams are sewed together by stitches. Again, the fit is very tight.

The color is grey, although it didn't come out exactly right in the photos. The grey color is definitely not as interesting as the pink Apple Smart cover. However, I prefer such a boring color as it hides some of the flashiness of the iPad. In the professional setting that I am in, I want people's attention to be on me rather than the new iPad 2.

Summary:

Pros - front and back full protection of iPad 2; can be used as a stand to prop up the iPad; price is very reasonable; appears to be durable.

Cons - feels just a little thicker than the original Apple case with iPad 1, which took away the "thin and light" improvement of iPad 2.

msk12
Apr 6, 2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks for reviewing. Is it stable when you use it in different angles like this? The incase bookjacket usually slides out at the two lower angles.

http://www.belkin.com/images/product/F8N605_8817/FUL1_F8N605_8817.jpg

silverblack
Apr 6, 2011, 03:08 PM
Thanks for reviewing. Is it stable when you use it in different angles like this? The incase bookjacket usually slides out at the two lower angles.

It is surprisingly stable. No chance of sliding down if that's what you are wondering about.

wesk702
Apr 7, 2011, 01:52 AM
Got excited and went to best buy today to look for this case. Wasn't there and I almost got tricked into buying a similar case made by griffin. It had slim folio in it's name to but this ones much nicer. I'll hit up a few more best buys tomorrow.

But the pocket is real snug huh?

Does it also have a flap where the iPad goes in to kinda lock it in place?

silverblack
Apr 7, 2011, 07:40 AM
But the pocket is real snug huh?

Does it also have a flap where the iPad goes in to kinda lock it in place?

Yes, and yes. This is the flap you need to undo to get to the 3G microsim slot. Instead of checking Bestbuy stores in person, don't forget to use the online inventory and online ordering for store pickup.

mcmaca
Apr 9, 2011, 12:23 AM
Yes, and yes. This is the flap you need to undo to get to the 3G microsim slot. Instead of checking Bestbuy stores in person, don't forget to use the online inventory and online ordering for store pickup.

Thanks for the review. Is the speaker grill covered? Is the sound clear?

SchneiderMan
Apr 9, 2011, 01:16 AM
Meh. Belkin's accessories are always meh..

silverblack
Apr 9, 2011, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the review. Is the speaker grill covered? Is the sound clear?

Half covered. There are 3 rows of holes as shown in photo. The sound seems fine to me.

Meh. Belkin's accessories are always meh..

It's not perfect, but at least it's not expensive.