PDA

View Full Version : Why Is User Library A Hidden Folder?

rmbrown09
Apr 6, 2011, 02:33 PM
It's not like this in SL I'm pretty sure, but to see my user Library I have to goto terminal and:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE to see it....?? Why?

http://cl.ly/020M3E0e0e001n241Q08/Screen_Shot_2011-04-06_at_12.31.38_PM.png

mrapplegate
Apr 6, 2011, 02:37 PM
It's not like this in SL I'm pretty sure, but to see my user Library I have to goto terminal and:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE to see it....?? Why?

http://cl.ly/020M3E0e0e001n241Q08/Screen_Shot_2011-04-06_at_12.31.38_PM.png

Or hold down the Option key while clicking Go from the finder menu. It is to protect users from messing up their system or poking around where they should not, I'm guessing.

rmbrown09
Apr 6, 2011, 03:01 PM
can someone with SL confirm that you can see the user library folder though?

I don't like this sign. More and more of the OS is being hidden from the user. eventually OSx turns into iOS ;/

Duff-Man
Apr 6, 2011, 03:24 PM
Duff-Man says...yes, in 10.6.x (like earlier systems) the users Library folder is visible by default....oh yeah!

aiqw9182
Apr 6, 2011, 03:24 PM
can someone with SL confirm that you can see the user library folder though?

I don't like this sign. More and more of the OS is being hidden from the user. eventually OSx turns into iOS ;/

Yes, you can see it under Snow Leopard(not to say that there aren't any hidden files in Snow Leopard because there are).

As long as we have terminal to reveal them I'm not too worried about it.

baryon
Apr 6, 2011, 03:49 PM
I regularly need to fix things in the Library folder, as you can't completely uninstall applications by just dragging them to the trash. I also often need to reset preference files and stuff like that, when Mail gets stuck every once in a while sending an email and not allowing me to cancel it, delete it, and it will never send it.

I think it's very stupid that the Library folder is hidden. If someone is desperate to delete something in there, they will find out how to do it anyway.

bobr1952
Apr 6, 2011, 04:01 PM
Still, there is some logic to keeping casual users from accidently deleting critical files. With the beauty of unix, experienced users always have other tools to deal with files hidden by the OS--so it is in some respects a perfect solution.

VacantPsalm
Apr 6, 2011, 04:24 PM
Hiding things isn't the problem, it's locking them. With all the things they've done like adding the Mac App Store, hiding the Library folder and not showing the little icon representing an app is open; none of that is stopping us from doing anything like iOS does. Holding down the Opt key and clicking the go menu =/= jailbreaking.

Tmelon
Apr 6, 2011, 04:44 PM
It's hidden because the User folder is full of the users personal files while the library is full of Application junk. Unexperienced users may go in there and screw things up by accident. It's just not the kind of thing that an average user will need to use frequently.

Drewbie
Apr 6, 2011, 04:54 PM
most average users dont even know how to do anything beyond opening mail and safari....

from a troubleshooting aspect i dont like this, i modify peoples library files all day long, and having them enable hidden folders is just another painful step, especially if they are complete noobs with computers...

but for the select few people who 'think' they know everything and go in there and mess around i can see why they would do it...

mrapplegate
Apr 6, 2011, 05:21 PM
most average users dont even know how to do anything beyond opening mail and safari....

from a troubleshooting aspect i dont like this, i modify peoples library files all day long, and having them enable hidden folders is just another painful step, especially if they are complete noobs with computers...

but for the select few people who 'think' they know everything and go in there and mess around i can see why they would do it...

How is having them hold the option key while they click the Go menu painful for them?

Drewbie
Apr 6, 2011, 05:34 PM
How is having them hold the option key while they click the Go menu painful for them?

because doing 2 things at once is harder than doing 1 thing....

i'll bet that about 80% of the time when i tell someone to open a finder window to look at their files they ask me how to do that, and they have no knowledge of the active application and how the menu bar will change depending on that...

like i said earlier, most people can barely open up safari and mail

mrapplegate
Apr 6, 2011, 05:39 PM
because doing 2 things at once is harder than doing 1 thing....

i'll bet that about 80% of the time when i tell someone to open a finder window to look at their files they ask me how to do that, and they have no knowledge of the active application and how the menu bar will change depending on that...

like i said earlier, most people can barely open up safari and mail

You can't argue with that logic :)

Drewbie
Apr 6, 2011, 05:53 PM
what i dont understand is why the user library, i find that people can do more damage with the root library than user library...

and typically people need to pull more plists from the user library than the root library to begin with

if it were up to me i would hide the root library and show the user library.

mrapplegate
Apr 6, 2011, 06:04 PM
what i dont understand is why the user library, i find that people can do more damage with the root library than user library...

and typically people need to pull more plists from the user library than the root library to begin with

if it were up to me i would hide the root library and show the user library.
Semi-protection is the reason. The root library is already protected as you can't delete anything without authenticating. The next level of protection is hiding it. Making it easy to view again is Apple simple, just an option key. It keeps my dad away from trouble, but also makes it easy for me to help him if I need him to delete a .plist file. I just tell him to hold the option key and go to a menu. Simple.

roadbloc
Apr 6, 2011, 06:06 PM
Unhide it if it's absence upsets you. It's not rocket science.

rmbrown09
Apr 6, 2011, 07:23 PM
Unhide it if it's absence upsets you. It's not rocket science.

how

MacManiac76
Apr 6, 2011, 07:52 PM
how

chflags nohidden /users/[username]/Library

calderone
Apr 6, 2011, 07:56 PM

Love it. Clamoring for the visibility of ~/Library (for some reason), yet has no clue how to make it appear.

mrapplegate
Apr 6, 2011, 07:58 PM
Love it. Clamoring for the visibility of ~/Library (for some reason), yet has no clue how to make it appear.

As long as he gave $99 to Apple and files bug reports to help everyone we can smile.

mrsir2009
Apr 6, 2011, 11:13 PM
Or hold down the Option key while clicking Go from the finder menu. It is to protect users from messing up their system or poking around where they should not, I'm guessing.

I think the same concept is used so viruses can't **** up your Mac. I'm not sure if I'm right, but I've heard it...

MikhailT
Apr 6, 2011, 11:29 PM
If you need to tell people to go to the Library and do something, tell them to open Finder and use "Go to Folder" in Go Menu or press "Command+Shift+G" and type in "~/Library/<path to where they need to go>".

roadbloc
Apr 7, 2011, 02:44 AM
how
If you don't know how to do something as simple as unhide a folder, then you clearly shouldn't be messing with developer previews.

jeanlain
Apr 7, 2011, 02:56 AM
It isn't that illogical to me. There's a lot of commonly used files in the library, namely all your mail stuff (messages, attachments) that any user may want to access, copy, etc.

Mr. Retrofire
Apr 7, 2011, 04:20 AM

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

...is shorter and works with all user names.

;)

PBF
Apr 7, 2011, 04:51 AM
Q: Since Library is hidden by default, how do I hide or make other folders invisible? Thanks.

Mal
Apr 7, 2011, 01:27 PM
Q: Since Library is hidden by default, how do I hide or make other folders invisible? Thanks.

In the same way as the method shown to hide the Library, basically:

chflags hidden /path/to/file/

jW

rmbrown09
Apr 7, 2011, 02:12 PM
If you don't know how to do something as simple as unhide a folder, then you clearly shouldn't be messing with developer previews.

I am no developer, I just like playing with Lion. And now I know how to hide and unhide things.

Step by Step.

Edit: and why not? Preview 2 for me has been just as stable and run just as well as SL. Aside a few minor issues.
Lion to me feels quite polished and decent enough to use for everyday things. Why Not?

roadbloc
Apr 7, 2011, 05:54 PM
Why Not?

Because incase you hadn't noticed, it is a developer preview, for developers. Not an average user preview. Buying developer membership with Apple (if you did, which I doubt) is simply a breach of trust if you are not a developer and just wish to get your hands on an early copy of their OS.

Especially when you are making entire threads over a minor modifications that a previous user simply posted a reply to a thread on and programs that don't work on the preview yet.

Will Lion run well on a Macbook Air? The MBA is the newest of all the mac models. All the screenshots of Lion on the Apple website are on the MBA. If there is ONE Mac that is guaranteed to run Lion well it will be, the MBA.

Steam doesn't work on Lion. Any fix? Not until the developers fix it, which is what the developer's preview is for.

Why is the user library a hidden folder? Because Lion is a new OS and adjustments are made to new OS's. The Program Files folder was automatically hidden in Windows XP, and I don't think anyone made as big a fuss as you have done over it.

Use your common sense before you ask questions.

rmbrown09
Apr 7, 2011, 08:41 PM
Because incase you hadn't noticed, it is a developer preview, for developers. Not an average user preview. Buying developer membership with Apple (if you did, which I doubt) is simply a breach of trust if you are not a developer and just wish to get your hands on an early copy of their OS.

Especially when you are making entire threads over a minor modifications that a previous user simply posted a reply to a thread on and programs that don't work on the preview yet.

Will Lion run well on a Macbook Air? The MBA is the newest of all the mac models. All the screenshots of Lion on the Apple website are on the MBA. If there is ONE Mac that is guaranteed to run Lion well it will be, the MBA.

Steam doesn't work on Lion. Any fix? Not until the developers fix it, which is what the developer's preview is for.

Why is the user library a hidden folder? Because Lion is a new OS and adjustments are made to new OS's. The Program Files folder was automatically hidden in Windows XP, and I don't think anyone made as big a fuss as you have done over it.

When I was asking will Lion run well on the Air, I was implying on the previews, not at final release. Taking my questions out of context or not fulling reading them as is apparent in your case might lead you to this conclusion.

Obviously at final release it will run perfectly fine on the Air. Don't understand why you took something out of context and then argued it.

2: I fixed the steam issue if you go back and check. I am not a developer but it wasn't hard at all to fix. So no I don't need to wait.

3: If by making a fuss you mean asking why it is like it is and how to undo it. Yes a huge fuss. It would seem you enjoy following people around the forums and being a curmudgeon. No one likes a curmudgeon. As long as I paid for the developer preview I should be able to use it how I please. Get over it.

PBF
Apr 8, 2011, 02:27 AM

You sound arrogant.

Apple, themselves, have started inviting non-developers to try out the Developer Preview. So no, the Developer Preview is not meant just for developers.