Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one do you guys like better?

• SGP

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Power Support

Votes: 23 69.7%

• Total voters

andrewmon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
I am currently deciding on whether I should get a PS Crystal Clear Front and Back or an SGP Steinheil EX Crystal Kit. (which you receive much more for the money)
What are your opinions on these choice and which do you guys prefer?

SGP:
http://www.sgpstore.com/cell-phone/...rotector-set-steinheil-ex-series-verizon.html

PS:
http://www.powersupportusa.com/accessories/iphone-4/crystal-front-and-rear-film-set.html

And is SGP as easy installation like the PS? Because I loved the thickness of that screen protector and if SGP is flimsy forget about it!

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
Haven't tried PS.
But I'd go with SGP

I'd also suggest checking out
TheHiShop. New company offer some high quality screen protectors. it's comparable to SGP in my opinion. Been using the crystal for weeks. it's amazing!

LightSpeed1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009
Washington D.C.
PowerSupport is all I know. I've had nothing but good experiences from PowerSupport products. From ease of applying to durability. I usually end up selling the product before I need another screen protector.

Attackcenter

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2010
IMO I would not get either of those. I would get the NEW SGP Ultra Optics Anti-Fingerprint (they don't have it in the EX kit) for the front. Then I would get the SGP (OLD) Anti-Fingerprint EX. I would just use the SGP OLD Anti-Fingerprint EX for the back, if you can afford it. The SGP OLD Anti-Fingerprint is not good for the front.

Check out Larry's review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2c9mVq98oY&feature=relmfu

This could have saved you some time, money, and effort. I have to return my SGP Ultra Crystal screen EX because of this new SGP Ultra Optics Anti-Fingerprint.

AC

andrewmon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
IMO I would not get either of those. I would get the NEW SGP Ultra Optics Anti-Fingerprint (they don't have it in the EX kit) for the front. Then I would get the SGP (OLD) Anti-Fingerprint EX. I would just use the SGP OLD Anti-Fingerprint EX for the back, if you can afford it. The SGP OLD Anti-Fingerprint is not good for the front.

This could have saved you some time, money, and effort. I have to return my SGP Ultra Crystal screen EX because of this new SGP Ultra Optics Anti-Fingerprint.

AC

Thanks for that it really helped! Just did a little more research and I really don't want to lose ANY of the retina because on my PS Anti-Glare now, it is really bad. And what is worse than spending all this money and not getting your requirements met. I think I will just go with the EX because it comes with a back as well :D. This will go perfect with my new Otterbox Commuter on Saturday. But also, is the prevention of fingerprints worth losing the clarity of the retina?

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA

AC

I'd read some of the other threads around here about the Ultra Optics. Not everyone thinks this is the be-all end-all. A lot of us think this shield is worse than the others. Of course, it is all just opinions, but it is worth pointing out that we don't all love this one...

Attackcenter

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2010
Obviously a lot of people don't think that it's worth the degradation of quality. What I don't understand is how could Larry be so off. Larry in is his review said that these Ulta Optics were a few percentage marks down from the Crystals and that it was a good trade off. You could even see in the video that the quality on the Ultra Optics was very good. There were some that stated that the optics were several percentage marks down from quality than the Crystals. I dunno. It could be right. I do know when your installing these things and when its not what exactly you want it can be frustrating. Not only that, if you mess up/bubble it up and then its even more frustrating. Quite of few complaining. They do seem to be all the same people though. I will give you the benefit of the doubt for the most part. Although, knowning that Larry didn't say that the Ultra Optics exactly approached the quality of the Crystals, but that they were close and that it was worth the trade off.

PowerSupport it seems is what the Apple Store preaches to everyone, so it is not suprising that so many people would vote for it. Some probably bought there Iphones with PowerSupports installed.

AC

Attackcenter

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2010
Best Anti-Fingerprint Quality

So, which brand/model of the three brands mentioned has the best Anti-Fingerprint and quality trade off in most peoples opinions?

Power Support, SGP, or TheHiShop?

AC

Attackcenter

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2010
I'm keeping the SGP Ultra Crystals

Thanks for starting this thread and for the information regarding opinions on films. I was hoping to find that the SGP Ultra Optics were a new bread of screen protector that upped the envelope as far a Anti-Fingerprint Optical quality. They do appear to be pretty good. There's just too much information that shows that the SGP Ultra Crystals just blow them out of the water. I currently have a pair on and you can hardly tell that they are one, no exaggeration.

I decided not to get the Ultra Optical Anti-Fingerprint (for front) and anti-fingerprint for the back. Because of three reasons.

1. The SGP Ultra Crystals are just that good and they use the 4H the thickest films available.

2. You can tell by the SGP Store Ebay auctions that the Ultra Optical Anti-fingerprint and the Anti-Fingerprint are not selling near as good as the Oleophobics or the SGP Ultra Crystals.

3. There is something suspicious why the the SGP screen protectors are called "Ultra Optical Anti-Fingerprint" and not just replace their old "Anti-Fingerprint" with a new version. To me this seems to show that the Ultra Opticals are just a screen protector that uses a thinner grade of plastic, uses a different process, and has Anti-Fingerprint capabilities. Although, obviously does not have the same level of Anti-Fingerprint capabilities to just replace their old Anti-Fingerprint line. Just my observation and guess thus far and not based on any solid facts.

I going to get a Moshi Ipouch to store my Iphone 4 to keep it fingerprint free:

http://www.moshimonde.com/productDetail.aspx?group=11#comp1_part99MO001004

AC

Last edited:

goddi

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
bought sgp ultra christal ... was very disappointed !!

after nice install - took me 30 min. some parts in the edges had no glue on it and peeled off !!!

Attackcenter

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2010
Goddi,

After what period of time did your peeling take place?

I did notice that the bottom right corner has bubbling and that is it. It's kind of a regular thing for me with screen protectors. I usually screw up a little bit with installation. Usually, when I try to fix the the positioning, it usually causes more bubbling. So, I usually just leave the little inperfection unless the bubbling is permanent in the screen viewing area. The SGP kit does have stickers to reposition the protectors if you mess uP. I just left it as is. I did not notice any abnormalities on any of the other sides, but the bottom right corner. I obviously put the screen on crooked from the start. I did this I think in the past with other brand screen protectors the same results. I don't see anything abnormal. Do you have any pictures?

Also, as a side note I have noticed on previous protectors the appearance of the edges not sticking correctly. This to me always seemed like what happens when you either didn't clean all of the dust correctly, touched the edges with your fingers while applying, or got dust underneath your protectors while repositioning after you had messed up. Fortunately, with the SGP screen protectors it you dont touch the sides (if you put it on right) and use the table to apply your protector.

I see so many different experiences on these forums. I hope this forum doesn't turn in to Amazon.com reviews section, where people have different experiences depending on who you talk to. :) Can't we have a solid concensus on products? :)

AC

Last edited:

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Another one of these threads? PS always wins in quality. As for price, well that's another thing. You can find PS relatively inexpensive these days though. coughjr.comcough

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.