PDA

View Full Version : Losing faith in Phantom Skinz...

jedolley
Apr 7, 2011, 10:06 PM
I want to start by saying that I have been a customer with Phantom Skinz for several years now and have installed their skin on several devices (Samsung Instinct, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic, PSP Go, B&N Nook, iPod Touch, iPod Nano, iPad 1, and iPad 2).

I have also installed BSE on the iPad 2 and really liked it. BSE's corner design is probably one of the better, if not best, design for an iPad 2 skin. However, for another iPad install I wanted to go with a matte back skin so I choose the usually reliable Phantom Skinz. I've had it installed for several days now, and the corners will not stick properly. Where the cut in the corner come to a "V" there is a bubble and it's like this on every corner to some degree. I've tried holding it down and for awhile after it's gone only later to come back.

I realize it's possible that I could have made a mistake, but since I have used their product many times before, I am confident I did a good job here. I feel either the design is bad, or maybe the skin I got was cut bad. Right now I am leaning towards bad design due to similar issues others have reported here.

I contacted Phantom Skinz and politely mentioned the situation. I have worked with Brianna (PS Customer Service) before and at first was pretty confident the issue would be taken care of. I even provided a couple photos illustrating the issue.

Here is a few back and forth emails with Phantom Skinz. I was a little surprised by their "suggestion".

To: Phantom Skinz

Brianna,

I don't own a lighter... Even if I did, I don't think I would feel comfortable taking a flame to the iPad. I think the real issue here is that I shouldn't have to to get this to fit correctly.

To: Me

Try using a lighter. Hold the flame up to the corner for a second and then firmly press the corner into place for at least a minute. Please be very careful while attempting this. Let me know how it works and if you need anything else.

Thank you for choosing PhantomSkinz!

Brianna
CustomerService@PhantomSkinz.com
Phantom Skinz Customer Service Team
Office: (480) 497-2965
www.PhantomSkinz.com

To: Phantom Skinz

Brianna,

I have attached a zip folder of two pictures per your request. The pictures are of one of the corners, but each corner has the same issue to about the same degree.

To: ME

Please provide pictures so I can help resolve the problem.

Thank you for choosing PhantomSkinz!

Brianna
CustomerService@PhantomSkinz.com
Phantom Skinz Customer Service Team
Office: (480) 497-2965
www.PhantomSkinz.com

I have not heard back from them since my last email. I really hope that Phantom Skinz does the right thing here as they have in the past. Am I being unreasonable in not wanting to take a lighter to my iPad to get their skin to fit correctly?

EDIT: I have added the PICS. The pics show the bubbles, but what they don't show is that the bubbles make the corners come to a point which you can feel and see at a different angle than what is shown here.

dhartung02
Apr 7, 2011, 11:19 PM
Im sorry you had problems, but this week i installed a Matte back Phantom Skin on my new iPad 2 and it went on near perfectly. All four corners are down and tight with no bubbles like your pictures portray. I hate to say it, but i think its either a bad cut or bad install. I am having no problem with mine. In fact, i let a friend check it out and he couldnt even tell there was a skin on it, that's how good it came out.

ton123
Apr 7, 2011, 11:22 PM
Im sorry you had problems, but this week i installed a Matte back Phantom Skin on my new iPad 2 and it went on near perfectly. All four corners are down and tight with no bubbles like your pictures portray. I hate to say it, but i think its either a bad cut or bad install. I am having no problem with mine. In fact, i let a friend check it out and he couldnt even tell there was a skin on it, that's how good it came out.

Post a pic please.. I am interested on the matte back as well

Antfer
Apr 7, 2011, 11:41 PM
Yeah dat really bites.
Jus read da warranty and they want u 2 return it 1st b4 they issue a return.

Dats y I went wit Wrapsol. It cost a little more but none of dat BS..

icecrystal23
Apr 8, 2011, 12:30 AM
My corners did the same thing. I had to get my iPad 2 replaced, though, so PhantomSkinz sent me a replacement back. This time I cut those tabs off before installing, and now the corners lay down much better.

I'm not 100% sure I'll keep the PhantomSkinz. I like the coverage, though. A lot of the skin manufacturers avoided the corner issue by not offering as much coverage around the edges...

jedolley
Apr 8, 2011, 08:20 AM

I appreciate your comments. I'm glad your phantomskinz worked out for you, and your experience is typical of what I have had with them in the past. It's possible it was a bad install, but I really don't think it was. Based on my previous experience installing their skins on a wide range of devices including the first iPad, and the fact it happened on every corner makes me think it's a bad cut.

I was just a little surprised that they wanted me to take a flame to my iPad. In the end, I just hope they provide the same quality customer service they have in the past.

PhantomSkinz
Apr 8, 2011, 12:42 PM
I appreciate your comments. I'm glad your phantomskinz worked out for you, and your experience is typical of what I have had with them in the past. It's possible it was a bad install, but I really don't think it was. Based on my previous experience installing their skins on a wide range of devices including the first iPad, and the fact it happened on every corner makes me think it's a bad cut.

I was just a little surprised that they wanted me to take a flame to my iPad. In the end, I just hope they provide the same quality customer service they have in the past.

jedolley,

From the look of your pictures, it does appear that there needed to be heat applied with the installation of your skin. I would not recommend a lighter. We always recommend a hair dryer. Heating the skin in corner areas allows the film to get warm and then you can press the film down with your palm, hold it a minute or so, and it should stay. There should have been instructions in your package indicating this. So please email our Customer Service Team again, and we will certainly do our best to make you happy and satisfied with our product.

Guru

jedolley
Apr 8, 2011, 12:48 PM
jedolley,

From the look of your pictures, it does appear that there needed to be heat applied with the installation of your skin. I would not recommend a lighter. We always recommend a hair dryer. Heating the skin in corner areas allows the film to get warm and then you can press the film down with your palm, hold it a minute or so, and it should stay. There should have been instructions in your package indicating this. So please email our Customer Service Team again, and we will certainly do our best to make you happy and satisfied with our product.

Guru

I did use a hair dryer during my application... As I have mentioned, I have used your product many times, but even then I still visited the website to watch the installation video to see if there was anything new and read over the instructions prior to installation.