PDA

View Full Version : Otterbox Ipad2 defender case

MotherFinMike
Apr 8, 2011, 12:04 AM
Found this on there, website, I hope the commuter is soon to follow

NOT AVAILABLE YET

http://www.otterbox.com/iPad-2-Defender-Series-Case/APL2-IPAD2,default,pd.html?dwvar_APL2-IPAD2_color=D9&start=1&cgid=apple-ipad-2-cases

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aaez_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-otterbox_us-Site/Sites-masterCatalog_OtterBox/default/v1302218455451/images/largeLB/apl2-ipad2-d9.jpg

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aaez_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-otterbox_us-Site/Sites-masterCatalog_OtterBox/default/v1302218455451/images/largeLB/apl2-ipad2-d9-1.jpg

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aaez_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-otterbox_us-Site/Sites-masterCatalog_OtterBox/default/v1302218455451/images/largeLB/apl2-ipad2-d9-2.jpg

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aaez_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-otterbox_us-Site/Sites-masterCatalog_OtterBox/default/v1302218455451/images/largeLB/apl2-ipad2-d9-3.jpg

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aaez_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-otterbox_us-Site/Sites-masterCatalog_OtterBox/default/v1302218455451/images/largeLB/apl2-ipad2-d9-4.jpg

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aaez_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-otterbox_us-Site/Sites-masterCatalog_OtterBox/default/v1302218455451/images/largeLB/apl2-ipad2-d9-5.jpg

clyde2801
Apr 8, 2011, 03:49 AM
Still 'coming soon', not even an estimated ship date.

Had one for the ipad 1, great case if you're taking a pad into a rough environment and value maximum protection over increased size and weight. Nice stand on the case, too.

Think I'll pass this time around and look for something a bit less bulky and heavy. I travel with my ipad, but this is a bit of overkill. No magnetized instant on feature for this case as well. Think I'm going to go the back shell plus smart cover for the v2.

clovis112
Apr 8, 2011, 06:55 AM
Still 'coming soon', not even an estimated ship date.

Had one for the ipad 1, great case if you're taking a pad into a rough environment and value maximum protection over increased size and weight. Nice stand on the case, too.

Think I'll pass this time around and look for something a bit less bulky and heavy. I travel with my ipad, but this is a bit of overkill. No magnetized instant on feature for this case as well. Think I'm going to go the back shell plus smart cover for the v2.

Yeah same here. I was really a big fan of otterbox and i had one on my iphone and 1st gen ipad but i opted not to get one for my ipad 2.

looking at the pictures, i'm not a big fan of that exposed speaker grill. i know that it has to be exposed but they could've put covers on it like the ones they put on the 3GS' defender case speaker port.

marine0816
Apr 8, 2011, 05:24 PM
I'm disappointed in this. Their first iPad case covered the bezel. But this case is showing the bezel so I guess to attract the people with the white iPads.. And 90 bucks is way too much money... This is a failure, there will be a cheaper and better option.

Roadking
Apr 8, 2011, 09:31 PM
Wow, it does make it look bulky. I think I am still going to get it.

Cheetablaze
Apr 8, 2011, 09:42 PM
Soooooo sexy! 89 bucks? Yeeeeeowch!

MotherFinMike
Apr 8, 2011, 11:05 PM
I remember getting my first defender case off amazon for like 50 for the defendernan 35 for the commuter

seanpholman
Apr 9, 2011, 01:00 AM
The Defender is overkill for me, I e-mailed them about the Commuter today. That looks perfect.

--Sean

clovis112
Apr 9, 2011, 06:53 AM
I'm disappointed in this. Their first iPad case covered the bezel. But this case is showing the bezel so I guess to attract the people with the white iPads.. And 90 bucks is way too much money... This is a failure, there will be a cheaper and better option.

i didn't even noticed that. you're right, they left most of the bezel open..

clyde2801
Apr 9, 2011, 07:04 AM

The rough and/or paranoid will love this case; that's what it's meant for. Others may not want the bulk and weight that this case costs.

MotherFinMike
Apr 9, 2011, 07:48 AM
The Defender is overkill for me, I e-mailed them about the Commuter today. That looks perfect.

--Sean

I did that also they were very vague about it's release

erayser
Apr 9, 2011, 11:20 AM
I ordered a leather case similar to the smartcover... but isn't shipped till the end of the month. I have a cheap case that someone gave me till it arrives. Now that I see this... I wish I waited. Oh well... I'll just wait till I see the commuters case. I need a case with a little more protections... because I allow my kids to play with my iPad 2.

Cheetablaze
Apr 9, 2011, 06:46 PM
This shall be mine! I'm not really feeling the open bezel thing though. You buy otter box to protect, not brag about the pretty useless white bezel. With this much open area I'm hoping it comes with something to seal up the front from dirt and water.

mrbunglez
Apr 9, 2011, 10:22 PM
Shoot that's expensive :eek: but it is a really nice case I'll wait for amazon to sell it for 50 bucks.:D

marine0816
Apr 10, 2011, 10:38 AM
Shoot that's expensive :eek: but it is a really nice case I'll wait for amazon to sell it for 50 bucks.:D

By that time the iPad 3 will be out...

marine0816
Apr 10, 2011, 11:04 AM
This shall be mine! I'm not really feeling the open bezel thing though. You buy otter box to protect, not brag about the pretty useless white bezel. With this much open area I'm hoping it comes with something to seal up the front from dirt and water.

The open bezel and the price is making me mad. I wish there was an alternative. But I don't see no other tough cases with otterboxes reputation on the market.

whiskeyred
Apr 10, 2011, 11:11 AM
Prefer the first generation style for sure.

kovey
Apr 10, 2011, 02:45 PM
All you guys are incorrect about it having an exposed bezel. If you read the color description, you'd see "black plastic lid, clear plastic base, black silicone"

The "exposed" bezel that you think you see is actually clear plastic. A few of the photos are photoshops so it's difficult to see this.

master-ceo
Apr 10, 2011, 05:24 PM
I saw them using one of these in the field on the History channel. I think I might have to grab one. Nice pics!

XXFirefighter
Apr 10, 2011, 05:33 PM

Funny I think this is a HUGE WIN ! Sure there's something gonna be cheaper... better? No way possible...

mrbunglez
Apr 12, 2011, 04:03 PM
I pre ordered this case @ http://www.cellularaccessory.com/apl2-ipad2-20-e4otr.html and I just got an email saying it was shipped and that it'll be here on friday, how is that possible??
The otter box website doesn't even have them to purchase.
I hope they don't send me the 1st gen one or they'll be getting a call from me.
Anyone order from this company before? If so do they sell genuine/ original stuff?

kovey
Apr 13, 2011, 01:20 AM
I pre ordered this case @ http://www.cellularaccessory.com/apl2-ipad2-20-e4otr.html and I just got an email saying it was shipped and that it'll be here on friday, how is that possible??
Anyone order from this company before? If so do they sell genuine/ original stuff?

Interesting. When did you order and when did the ship email come? Did the ship email contain tracking info?

I did some googling and they appear legit and have been around since 2000. I placed an order just now using TAKE5 coupon and got it for $55 shipped - much better than $90 from otterbox. Thanks - I hope!

marine0816
Apr 13, 2011, 09:23 AM
I also ordered using UPS for shipping. The TAKE5 coupon only works for regular mail. I hope this works out I'm very suspicious of low brand online resellers. I hope this experience is a good one.

NunnOtha
Apr 13, 2011, 09:28 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Interesting. When did you order and when did the ship email come? Did the ship email contain tracking info?

I did some googling and they appear legit and have been around since 2000. I placed an order just now using TAKE5 coupon and got it for $55 shipped - much better than $90 from otterbox. Thanks - I hope!

I just called the number posted on cellular accessories website. The guy I spoke with said they were told by otterbox that they would have it on hand and ready to ship by Friday, If otterbox does not drop the ball.
I could not imagine this website having priority over larger vendors or even otterbox.com preorders but if so, it's a deal no one can beat. Let us know how it works out.

whiskeyred
Apr 13, 2011, 09:47 AM
I ordered as well, don't care when it ships - great deal

kovey
Apr 13, 2011, 09:51 AM
Thanks for calling and getting that info. I don't see anything odd about this though. cellularaccessory is a pretty big reseller.

The otterbox site will always charge full (overpriced) retail. Otterbox still lists the defender for iphone 4 for $50 while amazon has it for $22.

Also, there is no such thing as a pre-order with Otterbox. They simply have an email notify when it goes up for sale.

whiskeyred
Apr 13, 2011, 10:09 AM
I've ordered from them in the past, legit no issues.

NunnOtha
Apr 13, 2011, 10:12 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Good points. I've checked with other reseller websites as well as ebayers and everything points toward a late April/may shipping date. I figure with the price, I'd say screw it and just order it.

I usually wait until a review is posted for such expensive cases but my iPad has been naked long enough. I hope the bezel is not exposed or I'll be pissed.

kovey
Apr 13, 2011, 10:42 AM
The bezel is NOT exposed. I mentioned this earlier. The color on the Otterbox site states that it's a CLEAR PLASTIC BEZEL.

mrbunglez
Apr 13, 2011, 11:13 AM
Well I got an email yesterday saying it was shipped with a tracking #, it is now in Jackson Mississippi with an arrival date of Friday. I hope it is legit I will keep you all updated when or if I get it.

loves2travel
Apr 14, 2011, 04:45 PM
Well I got an email yesterday saying it was shipped with a tracking #, it is now in Jackson Mississippi with an arrival date of Friday. I hope it is legit I will keep you all updated when or if I get it.

Sounds good!

iphone4customer
Apr 15, 2011, 07:39 AM
Sounds good!

"Anticipated shipping date, 04/22." - on the cellularaccessory site...bummer. was hoping it'd ship today. any update from the poster who had it coming sooner?

marine0816
Apr 15, 2011, 09:25 AM
Me<------------------paranoid of being scammed by the poster that said his case was already shipped.

whiskeyred
Apr 15, 2011, 09:35 AM
Mine has not shipped.

NunnOtha
Apr 15, 2011, 09:53 AM

The link for iPad 2 otterbox on the otterbox website is down, could possibly mean they are about to start taking orders today or sometime this weekend.

mrbunglez
Apr 15, 2011, 11:53 AM
Says it's out for delivery in my neck of the woods and should be here today. Too bad I'm at work and won't be home to receive it but I'll keep you
All updated when I get home and see if it really is genuine.

mrbunglez
Apr 15, 2011, 11:59 AM
Me<------------------paranoid of being scammed by the poster that said his case was already shipped.

Trust me I'm as paranoid as you of being scammed.

Roadking
Apr 15, 2011, 12:03 PM
I just preordered too from that cellular link above. Hope it is legit. Coupon code still worked.

jackwins
Apr 15, 2011, 12:31 PM
I just ordered from Cellularaccessory.com. I think it will be fine. :o

loves2travel
Apr 15, 2011, 04:45 PM
Says it's out for delivery in my neck of the woods and should be here today. Too bad I'm at work and won't be home to receive it but I'll keep you
All updated when I get home and see if it really is genuine.

Post pics and your evaluation on it. Ready to place an order if it's true.:cool:

mrbunglez
Apr 15, 2011, 10:42 PM
Ok I just got home and found out they sent me the WRONG version. They sent me the otter box case for the 1st gen iPad. I knew it was too good to be true I am fuming.
I will be giving them a call on Monday to vent hopefully they will either fix the order or give me a refund.
Let's just say I'm truly pissed.

whiskeyred
Apr 15, 2011, 10:53 PM
It's weird that we all pre-order and they ship that one right away. Bizarre, sure they will swap no prob.

mrbunglez
Apr 15, 2011, 11:00 PM
Well I'm giving them a call on Monday and if they give me the runaround I will just wait until otterbox.com starts selling them. Sure it's an extra 30 bucks but I don't wanna get scammed again.

It's funny I went to that website I preordered it from and they changed the ship dates twice from April 22nd and now it's May 4th.

marine0816
Apr 16, 2011, 11:35 AM
Well I'm giving them a call on Monday and if they give me the runaround I will just wait until otterbox.com starts selling them. Sure it's an extra 30 bucks but I don't wanna get scammed again.

It's funny I went to that website I preordered it from and they changed the ship dates twice from April 22nd and now it's May 4th.

Yeah and they charge your card before they ship.... Shady practice

TigerBabe
Apr 17, 2011, 06:27 PM
How bad does it pick up pet hair? Also is it pretty easy to clean?

iphone4customer
Apr 19, 2011, 07:29 AM
Ok, so now the ship date (as stated above) is May 4 at the earliest. I'm thinking about scrapping my order and going with something else, like the Hard Candy street skin deal that Costco has on its site right now.

Anybody have a Hard Candy street skin? Any thoughts on it?

iamthekiller
Apr 19, 2011, 01:34 PM
Ok, so now the ship date (as stated above) is May 4 at the earliest. I'm thinking about scrapping my order and going with something else, like the Hard Candy street skin deal that Costco has on its site right now.

Anybody have a Hard Candy street skin? Any thoughts on it?

That thing looks hideous.. like a truck tire. Just wait a couple weeks. I'm sure you'll have your ipad for longer than that.

iphone4customer
Apr 19, 2011, 02:33 PM
That thing looks hideous.. like a truck tire. Just wait a couple weeks. I'm sure you'll have your ipad for longer than that.

Meh, I'll give it a shot. Costco lets you return to the warehouse for full price and shipping. so maybe i'll take a gander at the street skin and see if i like it or not. probably will arrive before the defender effort gets shipped.

marine0816
Apr 21, 2011, 11:02 PM
Why are taking so long for this case?

gigemzach
Apr 21, 2011, 11:05 PM
Why are taking so long for this case?

Otterbox always seems to take a long time with their designs.

icaruslol
Apr 22, 2011, 11:04 AM
they just released new videos of the defender for iPad 2 showing how to install and all. I guess this means that the case is coming pretty soon hopefully

MotherFinMike
Apr 23, 2011, 01:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpcNWZirQ0M&feature=player_embedded

loves2travel
Apr 23, 2011, 02:47 AM
The bezel is NOT exposed. I mentioned this earlier. The color on the Otterbox site states that it's a CLEAR PLASTIC BEZEL.

Hmm? It's probably me but I didn't see the clear plastic bezel that you talk of. I didn't see it in the youtube video.

I still like the case though, I'll probably order one as soon as Amazon starts to sell them unless there is something better that's announced or coming out soon.

iamthekiller
Apr 25, 2011, 12:08 AM
Wow. Otterbox really screwed up with this design. What idiot in charge at Otterbox made the call to no longer protect the entire bezel, even with the cover in place? People like the defender line because of its complete protection, not this stupid, half-assed gabage.

Damnit, failure. At least now I can stop waiting for this to come out and look for a better case.

marine0816
Apr 25, 2011, 12:11 AM
Wow. Otterbox really screwed up with this design. What idiot in charge at Otterbox made the call to no longer protect the entire bezel, even with the cover in place? People like the defender line because of its complete protection, not this stupid, half-assed gabage.

Damnit, failure. At least now I can stop waiting for this to come out and look for a better case.

They exposed the bezel for people with the white ipad so people will know thats its white. Which is stupid they should of stuck with the original design.

mrbunglez
Apr 25, 2011, 12:13 AM
I actually like the design better than the first one.
On the first one when moving icons over to the left or right it was a pain, plus taking a bit of the bezel off prob made it lighter as they say in the new video 20% lighter.
Now the opening for the speaker im kind of on the fence about i dont know why they did that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iamthekiller
Apr 25, 2011, 12:30 AM
I actually like the design better than the first one.
On the first one when moving icons over to the left or right it was a pain, plus taking a bit of the bezel off prob made it lighter as they say in the new video 20% lighter.

It's 4 ounces lighter than the first defender. Big deal. Why don't we not protect anything at all and make it 100% lighter? :rolleyes:

I completely disagree with difficulty moving icons. With the first one, you would move just the icon to where it meets the defender and it would jump to the next page. Without the case meeting at the bezel, you need to look to see where the screen ends, and hold there.

This case is a joke. Total disappointment. This is what happens when the stupid suits at a company make decisions.

iamthekiller
Apr 25, 2011, 12:32 AM
Now the opening for the speaker im kind of on the fence about i dont know why they did that.

This was another stupid decision, clearly by somebody that doesn't use an ipad.

Anyone care to suggest a case for the ipad2, similar to the original defender?

mrbunglez
Apr 25, 2011, 09:01 AM
You can always wait until lifeproof comes out with theirs this summer, its waterproof, slimmer, And shock proof.
Thats the case im really waiting for. This otterbox im going to get until then.

3goldens
Apr 25, 2011, 09:39 AM
You can always wait until lifeproof comes out with theirs this summer, its waterproof, slimmer, And shock proof.
Thats the case im really waiting for. This otterbox im going to get until then.

thanks for the headsup on lifeproof! that looks like the case to get! probably
way more than an otterbox though!

iamthekiller
Apr 25, 2011, 09:43 AM
Lifeproof is vaporware, unfortunately. They had a "set back" a couple weeks ago with their iphone 4 case. The set back, basically though, was that the entire integrity of the case failed when under water. They're basically starting from the concept stage at this point - back to the drawing board.

Their ipad case hasn't even began concept, design, or anything.

mrbunglez
Apr 25, 2011, 10:43 AM
I got an email stating that their molding machine broke, nothing about it failing under water.

whiskeyred
Apr 25, 2011, 11:28 AM
Incipio had the DESTROYER for the first iPad no idea if we will see it for the 2nd

marine0816
Apr 29, 2011, 08:43 AM
It's still has not come out yet, by the time it's ready I would have already dropped my iPad and the iPad 3 would be getting ready to launch :mad:

whiskeyred
Apr 29, 2011, 09:42 AM
The gentleman at the Cellular Assc. place said he hopes to ship these by May 6th, thats what was told by Otterbox

JimAtLaw
Apr 29, 2011, 01:08 PM
Lifeproof is vaporware, unfortunately. They had a "set back" a couple weeks ago with their iphone 4 case. The set back, basically though, was that the entire integrity of the case failed when under water. They're basically starting from the concept stage at this point - back to the drawing board.

Their ipad case hasn't even began concept, design, or anything.

The Otterbox is also vaporware (frustratingly so) - showing pictures and videos of a product that is not only not shipping now but at no certain or even announced point in the future is the very definition of vaporware.

iamthekiller
Apr 29, 2011, 01:12 PM
The Otterbox Defender for iPad 2 isn't vaporware. They've always released every announced product. It will be shipping over the next week or so.

However, it's just a failed design with the exposed bezel, so you could show off your pretty white iPad. It would actually be better off as vaporware.

JimAtLaw
Apr 29, 2011, 01:19 PM
Some of us are ok with the exposed bezel, esp. if you're going to use with a screen protector anyway.

iamthekiller
Apr 29, 2011, 01:21 PM
If you're fine with an exposed bezel, there are plenty of other less-protective products currently available.

The point of the defender has always been that it's a case with full-protection.

iamthekiller
Apr 29, 2011, 01:29 PM
http://www.cellularaccessory.com/apl2-ipad2-20-e4otr.html

Pre-Order now
Anticipated shipping date is now late May to June.
This Date is just an Estimation based on the information given to us from Otterbox. The First Batch was rejected due to Quality issues.

OtterBox: Our apologies that we are disappointing you. We expected to release the case this week, but the initial shipment did not meet our high quality standards. It is for reasons like this that we do not release dates... our cases go through a rigorous development and quality process and our feeling is we would rather develop quality than put something out there that doesn't offer the protection our customers have come to expect from us
3 hours ago

Haha. Piece of garbage. Back to the drawing board.

JimAtLaw
Apr 29, 2011, 01:32 PM

Pre-Order now
Anticipated shipping date is now late May to June.
This Date is just an Estimation based on the information given to us from Otterbox. The First Batch was rejected due to Quality issues.

Haha. Piece of garbage.

And thus my conclusion: nothing even remotely resembling an actual shipping date = VAPORWARE.

mrbunglez
May 12, 2011, 01:34 PM
According to macgasm the new otterbox defender for the iPad 2 will be available tomorrow!
http://www.macgasm.net/2011/05/12/otterbox-debut-defender-ipad-2/

MotherFinMike
May 13, 2011, 07:56 AM
I ordered one from otterboxs website

marine0816
May 13, 2011, 08:16 AM
According to macgasm the new otterbox defender for the iPad 2 will be available tomorrow!
http://www.macgasm.net/2011/05/12/otterbox-debut-defender-ipad-2/

Turned out to be a credible source.

marine0816
May 13, 2011, 08:18 AM
Now when is cellularaccecory.com going to ship?

icaruslol
May 13, 2011, 09:10 AM
just got mine using this 10% off and free Fedex shipping coupon from Techbargains: tb0411u

It came up to 80.95 all together. It looks like they normally give free screen protectors but when you add the coupon, the screen protector is taken out automatically. So it's either or. I didn't really want a screen protector so I applied the coupon!

3goldens
May 13, 2011, 09:32 AM
http://www.gleemobile.com/ipad/ipad-2g/cases/otterbox-defender-series-hybrid-case-for-ipad-2-black.html

and if you add "gleefriends" get an additional 10% off!
67 bucks beat that!

iamthekiller
May 13, 2011, 09:46 AM
You guys realize cellularaccessory has it for $54.95 with free shipping, right?

3goldens
May 13, 2011, 09:55 AM
Always provide a link for people.
Nice find, but they charge tax and shipping making it $5.00 shy of the gleemobile.com price, I am sticking with them as this cellularaccessory is still taking pre-orders for this and I know Glee has them. I'll eat the 5 this time!

iamthekiller
May 13, 2011, 10:15 AM
Always provide a link for people.
Nice find, but they charge tax and shipping making it $5.00 shy of the gleemobile.com price, I am sticking with them as this cellularaccessory is still taking pre-orders for this and I know Glee has them. I'll eat the 5 this time!

It's $54.95 shipped to 40 out of 50 states.

You must live in one of the 10 states that cellular accessory charges tax to.

40 States are SALES TAX FREE! 10 states require orders shipped into their states be charged Tax at the following rates;
8.75% Sales tax in California;
7% in Indiana;
6% in Connecticut, Florida, Kentucky, Maryland, and Pennsylvania;
6.25% in Illinois;
5.5% Ohio;
4% in New York;

$0 tax to my state and $0 shipping with coupon TAKE5. The link was already provided in this thread.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12383970&postcount=23

3goldens
May 13, 2011, 10:23 AM
It's $54.95 shipped to 40 out of 50 states.

You must live in one of the 10 states that cellular accessory charges tax to.

40 States are SALES TAX FREE! 10 states require orders shipped into their states be charged Tax at the following rates;
8.75% Sales tax in California;
7% in Indiana;
6% in Connecticut, Florida, Kentucky, Maryland, and Pennsylvania;
6.25% in Illinois;
5.5% Ohio;
4% in New York;

$0 tax to my state and $0 shipping with coupon TAKE5. The link was already provided in this thread.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12383970&postcount=23

Whenever, you make a statement about a possible better price, don't you think it makes sense to just slip the link in there, maybe its just me. Its not all that difficult to do and ts a courteous thing to do for other members.?

And also, while it might be a slightly better price, you again did not mention the shipping savings, thanks for that, but they still don't actually have it so while I'm in NY and would have had to pay the tax I actually am going to have mine Monday from Glee, while you'll be waiting for yours for what could be weeks according to cellular.

Be patient though it will get there sooner or later!
cheers brother.

iamthekiller
May 13, 2011, 10:27 AM
Whenever, you make a statement about a possible better price, don't you think it makes sense to just slip the link in there, maybe its just me. Its not all that difficult to do and ts a courteous thing to do for other members.?

And also, while it might be a slightly better price, you again did not mention the shipping savings, thanks for that, but they still don't actually have it so while I'm in NY and would have had to pay the tax I actually am going to have mine Monday from Glee, while you'll be waiting for yours for what could be weeks according to cellular.

Be patient though it will get there sooner or later!
cheers brother.

It was already mentioned in the thread. I'm not going to spam the thread with information that's already clearly been posted. Just read.

mrbunglez
May 13, 2011, 06:47 PM
I cancelled my order with cellularaccessories.com because they gave me the runaround when I called them today, they also told me they still don't have a ship date.
I bought it directly from otterbox for 80 bucks with the coupon, I figured what's 25 bucks when I can get it next week.

3goldens
May 14, 2011, 02:00 AM
Obviously Otterbox is going to release a limited amount to their distributers initially. that way they make a healthy mark up while demand is high, retailing 101 right?

I spoke to both gleemobile and cellular accessories.

Gleemobile was certain they would be filling their second group of pre-orders late next week. They have a firm commitment from Ottorbox and a solid relationship having sold hundreds of the first ipad case.

When I spoke to cellular, they didn't have a clue, June was mentioned so all of those lucky folks will be waiting a while. I know these guys are really big too but they are deep discounters and Otter could very well hold back from them heavy discounters in order to allow others to make their margins for a while. We'll see in the next few weeks though that's for sure.

If money is no object hell, burn it with Otter, I buy a lot of accessories so I'm not about to pay full retail less 10 for anything these days. I'll be patient till a good deal presents itself and they always do, I don't like paying retail for anything really! The quest for me is always in finding the deal!

More fun that way!

MotherFinMike
May 14, 2011, 12:20 PM
Mine shipped from otter box

BlindMellon
May 15, 2011, 10:11 AM
Jesus, i've never seen such an over-designed monstrosity in my life. Definitely makes an industrial statement.

about as practical as a pair of Doc Martins.
http://www.mensdrmartens.com/Mens-Dr-Martens-Boot-8936B7661.jpg

iphone4customer
May 16, 2011, 09:01 AM
So Otterbox is including a free screen protector but based on looking at the installation video, why would you need one? Doesn't case come with a built-in protector like the iphone 4 defender case?

Can anybody explain this please?

I'm waiting on my order to be fulfilled by gleemobile, hoping that will be done this week...if anybody gets their case can they please snap some of their own photos and give us their impressions?

iamthekiller
May 16, 2011, 11:00 AM
So Otterbox is including a free screen protector but based on looking at the installation video, why would you need one? Doesn't case come with a built-in protector like the iphone 4 defender case?

Can anybody explain this please?

I'm waiting on my order to be fulfilled by gleemobile, hoping that will be done this week...if anybody gets their case can they please snap some of their own photos and give us their impressions?

Like the defender for the first ipad, the screen protector is not built into the case. You adhere it if you want, then install the case.

It's not like the iphone case where the screen protector is built in.

Dschro5
May 17, 2011, 02:52 PM
Removed

iamthekiller
May 17, 2011, 03:00 PM
I bought mine last night at Walmart. It doesn't come with a screen protector of any sort, self-applied or built into the case. However, unlike the iPad 1 Defender series case, it is compatible with ZAGG Invisibleshield. It does add significant heft to the device, but I would still recommend it.

Pictures? :D I still haven't seen a non-stock image of this case.

Dschro5
May 17, 2011, 03:56 PM
Removed

mrbunglez
May 17, 2011, 04:28 PM
How much was it @ walmart.
I went there today and they only had the commuter series for the 1st ipad.

D1G1T4L
May 17, 2011, 05:11 PM
Jesus, i've never seen such an over-designed monstrosity in my life. Definitely makes an industrial statement.

about as practical as a pair of Doc Martins.
Image (http://www.mensdrmartens.com/Mens-Dr-Martens-Boot-8936B7661.jpg)

I would say that is up to the end user.

Dschro5
May 17, 2011, 06:20 PM
Removed

mrbunglez
May 17, 2011, 06:34 PM
Whew thats pretty expensive.
Now lets see some pics please.

Dschro5
May 17, 2011, 08:32 PM
Removed

Db9938
May 17, 2011, 10:43 PM
I received mine today, straight from Otterbox.

Looked it at first, and thought that it was nearly as ruggedly built, as their other products. I did notice that they have done a lot to trim weight, as compared to their IPad 1 defender case. This is evident in the thickness of the hard shell parts and rubber case.

The biggest complaint, and yes I have let Otterbox know, that the audio port cover, puckers and does not seat properly. I tried for about a half hour to get it to seat properly,but it appears that the cover itself is too large.

Other complaints that I have:

1. Lack of speaker cover. If I go to this extent to protect my iPad, then I would like complete coverage. If I want to listen to something, then I can undo the cover and listen. The same way that I can undo the audio port cover to plug in ear buds.

2. The soft cover is ill designed in the way that it attaches to the top half of the hard shell.

3. The self-adhesive screen cover. What can else can I say, they are at best a mediocre solution, with mixed results.

On the positive side of things, the hard shell cover piece, is seriously well thought out.

Here is a picture of the pucker:

Born Again
May 17, 2011, 10:46 PM
This company always makes the ugliest cases

Well I'm sure it protects well

Db9938
May 17, 2011, 10:51 PM
This company always makes the ugliest cases

Well I'm sure it protects well

Ugly, yes. Twin four-year-old proof, so far, yes.

Dschro5
May 17, 2011, 11:24 PM
Removed

iamthekiller
May 17, 2011, 11:34 PM
Nice, thanks for those. I was concerned about the case not covering the entire bezel like the first defender.

Mind showing one more photo, with the hard cover attached?

Dschro5
May 18, 2011, 12:00 AM
Etc

iamthekiller
May 18, 2011, 12:06 AM
Sure thing.

Ah... disappointed the entire screen isn't covered by the hard cover, but thanks again.

romeo.xk
May 18, 2011, 04:09 AM
I so want to pick this up, but something tells me to wait for the seidio to be released...

I have the defender for my I4, and just hate how the silicone got all stretched, I don't even want to imagine this big case with the same problem...

iamthekiller
May 18, 2011, 10:13 AM
I so want to pick this up, but something tells me to wait for the seidio to be released...

I have the defender for my I4, and just hate how the silicone got all stretched, I don't even want to imagine this big case with the same problem...

The defender for the first ipad has been out for months.. there are no reports of this. The stretching on the iphone case probably occurs due to putting the phone into and out of your pocket. I'm doubting you have pockets large enough for an ipad.

gmaines
May 18, 2011, 11:08 AM
I will get mine tomorrow.....will let you know...

3goldens
May 18, 2011, 12:46 PM
Ah... disappointed the entire screen isn't covered by the hard cover, but thanks again.

Initially this kind of bugged me too, but I see they did this probably because the camera could be accessed and used, however thinking it through that would mean one, unless jailbroken or one of the photo programs Apple ultimately banned , would have to take the hard cover off to open the camera program and take a picture, so this is a little unclear.

In addition maybe it was to overall reduce weight?

Speaking of weight, those who have both, are you seeing a considerable difference there

Dschro5
May 18, 2011, 12:48 PM
Etc

iamthekiller
May 18, 2011, 01:18 PM
Initially this kind of bugged me too, but I see they did this probably because the camera could be accessed and used, however thinking it through that would mean one, unless jailbroken or one of the photo programs Apple ultimately banned , would have to take the hard cover off to open the camera program and take a picture, so this is a little unclear.

.......but the camera is covered when the hard cover is on. The parts exposed are bare screen. The only reason for this retarded decision would be to shave some ounces off the case.

Clearly I'm looking for complete coverage if I get a defender.... stupid decision by somebody in charge that doesn't use an ipad and is out of touch with their customers.

3goldens
May 18, 2011, 01:29 PM
.......but the camera is covered when the hard cover is on.

does not appear to be that way, see picture:

the parts exposed are bare screen.

with the front cover/case off...

the only reason for this retarded decision would be to shave some ounces off the case.

not at all sure what retarded decision your referring to now!

clearly i'm looking for complete coverage if i get a defender.... Stupid decision by somebody in charge that doesn't use an ipad and is out of touch with their customers.

doubt thats the case with otter, no pun intended!

leire
May 18, 2011, 01:46 PM
see picture

But that is the front case attached to the BACK of the IPAD! Look at the camera. The previous criticisms still hold.

3goldens
May 18, 2011, 02:46 PM
But that is the front case attached to the BACK of the IPAD! Look at the camera. The previous criticisms still hold.

OMG your right so sorry, Im waiting for mine so I just took that off the site..

thanks for pointing that out!!

Db9938
May 18, 2011, 04:32 PM
Alright, I finally figured out how to post pictures.

Db9938
May 18, 2011, 04:34 PM
And some more

MotherFinMike
May 18, 2011, 07:45 PM
Not Impressed with mine, I am gonna return mine

erayser
May 18, 2011, 07:48 PM
Not Impressed with mine, I am gonna return mine

What don't you like about it? I have your old one if you want it back.

Db9938
May 18, 2011, 07:50 PM
I am considering the same. It just does not live up to my expectations, based on previous experiences of their other products.

The only problem is the question of what to replace it with?

C0bra K0mmander
May 18, 2011, 07:52 PM
Man I was close to pulling the trigger to grab this case. Ima def wait for seidio to come out with their "active" case and see how that is.

Db9938
May 18, 2011, 09:32 PM
I'm not sure that the Seidio is designed any better. And although the cover may not cover every thing, the kick stand of the Defender is a more rugged setup.

leire
May 19, 2011, 06:25 AM
Well, I've waited this long, I guess another month won't be to bad.

I hear that the Seidio "Active" will be released next week and the Gumdrop "Drop" on the First of June.

These look like the best alternatives, anybody got any others?

iphone4customer
May 19, 2011, 09:42 AM
Yeah more and more I'm thinking of going back to a pre-order of the gumdrop. Just seems like a more streamlined case (but who knows what production will look like!?)

iphone4customer
May 19, 2011, 10:05 AM
Here's the real question: who is happy with the defender??

iamthekiller
May 19, 2011, 10:09 AM
The gumdrop looks hideous and there's no front cover. Bad comparison.

jdminpdx
May 19, 2011, 12:37 PM
Had my defender 2 on for about an hour and hated it. The quality is lacking. Just doesn't feel like it's worth 90 bucks. The headphone flap refuses to stay put, the dock door feels cheap and isn't secure. Check out the official Facebook page for otterbox. There are a lot of unhappy customers who bought the defender. I would NOT purchase this until they make some changes. Ugh. Back to going naked.

Dangka
May 19, 2011, 12:46 PM
Costco.com has it for $59.99 plus tax (shipping and handling included). If you want to try it out, I would get it from them. No hassle return policy, even if you have tested it out and tried it. Backordered, but expected to ship May 31 according to their description.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11626680&search=otterbox&Mo=4&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=otterbox&Ntt=otterbox&No=4&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

iphone4customer
May 19, 2011, 01:21 PM
The gumdrop looks hideous and there's no front cover. Bad comparison.

Maybe no front cover but it has an integrated screen protector, at least. Personally, the white version doesn't look half bad.

iphone4customer
May 19, 2011, 01:25 PM
Costco.com has it for $59.99 plus tax (shipping and handling included). If you want to try it out, I would get it from them. No hassle return policy, even if you have tested it out and tried it. Backordered, but expected to ship May 31 according to their description.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11626680&search=otterbox&Mo=4&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=otterbox&Ntt=otterbox&No=4&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Agree 100% on the no hassle return policy. Worth the wait given the flexibility.

iamthekiller
May 19, 2011, 03:29 PM
Here's the real question: who is happy with the defender??

People who seek out Otterbox's facebook wall are just complainers/stupid in general. There could very well be people that are satisfied with the case, you just won't hear anything from them.

Db9938
May 19, 2011, 04:25 PM
There may be, but I think that anyone with prior experience of other Otterbox defender series cases, they will be disappointed.

It just does not live up to their previous design criteria, and build quality.

3goldens
May 19, 2011, 05:21 PM
Well, I have thus far seen a few Defender complainers, but no in depth review like many other cases here.

I for one would like to see someone to outline what it is about the Defender they don't like.....How it compares to the Defender for Ipad 1, why and where the quality is lacking.....

So how about it, someone going to take the time to give us the details of the complaints were getting scattered reports about.

thanks!

Db9938
May 19, 2011, 08:17 PM
To start, see post#97.

It may not be as in depth, as some other reviews, and it may not be a true head-to-head comparison, but I personally own the IPad 1 Defender. My parents do however, and from memory, I can say that the D2 is slimmer, but so is the actual iPad.

The hard shell, being thinner, is much more flexible than the D1, again probably for weight savings. The soft case is also thiner, and has a waffle pattern in the back, to add the depth with adding less weight.

I have posted some pictues of the illl-fitting rubber cover for the audio port.

I have also noticed that the rubber around the speaker opening has the tendency to flip up easily when holding it in landscape profile.

These all might seem petty in nature, but when you spend as much as you do for this case, and superior design of their other designs, this is a disappointment. For what I paid, I expect something thought out a lot better than this.

iMule
May 19, 2011, 09:25 PM
I just had to pick up this case last night. Had to. Otterbox makes incredible cases.

However...

In my opinion, they went a little too far into small detailing with this case, and missed the larger picture.

The bezel cover (long side) bows on both sides of the iPad leaving more than acceptable spacing in between the glass and the plastic. This bothers me. It's enough to slide a quarter in comfortably.

Another thing that bugs the hell out of me: The dock door. This was horribly designed. Once you get a all the silicon pressed in the plastic, it looks horrid. It's not smooth like the picture...

icaruslol
May 20, 2011, 12:42 AM
I received the case today. I totally agree with the rest of people. I must say that I liked the iPad 1 defender much more than this. the open bezel worries me a little. I know that since the sides of the case are elevated, the bezel won't touch the floor,but its still open for fingerprints(unless you use a screen protector) and potential cracks.

about the headphone flap, it sure doesn't fit, at least when you try to put it normally. I did find a way to make it fit though, if you slightly bend the flap in and put it in the slot , then let it go, the flap sort of fits, but it is still looks a little bumpy. it should've been like a millimeter smaller for it to fit just fine.

whiskeyred
May 20, 2011, 10:41 AM
I've decided to cancel and go with the Military gumdrop

3goldens
May 20, 2011, 12:42 PM
I've decided to cancel and go with the Military gumdrop

thanks for the tip on this.

looks great! great alternative to the Otterbox Defender for Ipad 2 Fail

Too bad it does not have a front cover, but that would not be a deal breaker for me, the limitation in color would be, but I see they have a step down called the "Drop Series" which would suit my purposes just fine!

iamthekiller
May 20, 2011, 01:40 PM
I just got mine in the mail today. I was so ready to hate the case from all the horrible reviews. I must say I'm not thrilled with the case, but am satisfied only because it's most protective case for the iPad 2 available. I've been an owner of the first iPad Defender for 9 months, so here are key positive/negative, and some other points:

+ The cover. It's much easier to prop open with one hand. There are two viewing angles, one perfect for typing which my protractor measures at 20 degrees. Flip the cover around and the other angle is for viewing movies, etc, which measures at 60 degrees. The cover hinge no longer falls down when you remove the ipad, compared to the previous defender.
+ The volume, sleep, and home buttons are much easier to press when compared to the first defender. There is also noticeably less of a "click" sound when you press the home and volume buttons.
+ The few ounces they managed to remove makes it easier to hold.

- The cover. Each of the four corners of the front bezel are exposed when the cover is on the front of the ipad. It's clear that they did this so that the rear camera is always exposed when you put the cover onto the rear of the ipad. We all know the rear camera is ****, so this was a pretty bad decision. Hopefully they can put out a revised cover that actually covers the entire front.
- The bezel protection. The entire bezel isn't protected as in the original ipad. I assume they did this so that people can show off their white ipad, and to shave off an ounce or two from the weight, but it undermines the purpose of the defender.
- The speaker is exposed. I don't know how they could have gotten around this though, since the ipad 2 uses a grill VS the first ipad that had 3 large holes. The first defender simply put rubber around that area with 3 holes for the speaker.

iPad 1 with original defender and cover: 2 pounds 13.1 oz
iPad 2 with new defender and cover: 2 pounds 5.2 oz

When you put the rear cover on the ipad 2 and lay the device down on a table, it's ironically only about 1mm shorter than the original ipad with its cover in the same position.

Somebody mentioned being able to fit a quarter between the ipad 2 bezel and the hard case, or the dock cover not seating properly. If this is happening, then you didn't snap the two hard plastic pieces together properly when assembling the case, or didn't push the silicone into all of the gaps properly.

Somebody also mentioned that the headphone jack puckered at first when trying to close that part of the case. It doesn't snap into place as easily as the rotate/mute cover does, for example. However, if you pinch the headphone cover and then insert, it's a little easier to close.

They did shave half a pound off the cover, but at the expense of protection. It's not what I'm used to with the Defender line, but I'm still generally satisfied overall, primarily because this is currently the best ipad 2 protection.

Db9938
May 20, 2011, 04:40 PM
I concur with most all your observations. I still think that there should be a speaker cover, similar to the dock cover.

The only dilemma that I have is that with all the things that are not offered in this case, versus the D1 and all other versions of the Defender, is really a true Defender?

I am not sure. If this case was offered as the Commuter, then I could understand the spartan approach. I am of the ilk, that a Defender should be a Defender, not a hybrid.

That said, I am torn on what to do. If I send it back, then what? I still have not seen a case that is undeniably rock solid, like the D1.

3goldens
May 20, 2011, 05:41 PM
Appreciate word and thoughts of iamthekiller & Db9938 on the Defender.

I may very well end up keeping it as well until the Drop series comes out.
Seems rather curious they were able to cover that rear speaker and Otter choose not too.

Mine arrives Tuesday, I'll decide then.

mrbunglez
May 20, 2011, 08:13 PM
I ordered the defender on fri when they released it and the status in my account still says "being processed"
I called them yesterday and they said it'd be sent out today and it hasn't.
Is anyone else having this problem?
Let's just say I'm not happy.

Opie
May 20, 2011, 08:23 PM
I received mine on Tuesday and ordered it last Friday. I am pleased with it so far. I recommend it.

Db9938
May 20, 2011, 08:33 PM
Appreciate word and thoughts of iamthekiller & Db9938 on the Defender.

I may very well end up keeping it as well until the Drop series comes out.
Seems rather curious they were able to cover that rear speaker and Otter choose not too.

Mine arrives Tuesday, I'll decide then.

It's not that the speaker is not directly covered. It's covered from the direct back, but not from the side.

JimAtLaw
May 20, 2011, 09:32 PM
Is it just me or do you NEED to put a screen protector on with this thing?

I was kinda hoping not to use one, but it seems like the plastic is pressing against the glass and I'm going to end up with the bezel all scratched up without a screen protector between the bezel and the polycarbonate case. (Weird that they would use soft rubber cushions against the back of the case but hard plastic against the glass?)

Db9938
May 20, 2011, 09:42 PM
Is it just me or do you NEED to put a screen protector on with this thing?

I was kinda hoping not to use one, but it seems like the plastic is pressing against the glass and I'm going to end up with the bezel all scratched up without a screen protector between the bezel and the polycarbonate case. (Weird that they would use soft rubber cushions against the back of the case but hard plastic against the glass?)

Yep, that's why when you order it direct, they ship you one.

Db9938
May 21, 2011, 08:47 PM
You know, re- thinking this, the one thing that unsettles me the most, is that I have not received a response to the e-mail that I sent to Otterbox's customer service.

I mean if this is a sign of things to come, then I seriously need to find alternatives for things in the future.

iamthekiller
May 21, 2011, 09:31 PM
You know, re- thinking this, the one thing that unsettles me the most, is that I have not received a response to the e-mail that I sent to Otterbox's customer service.

I mean if this is a sign of things to come, then I seriously need to find alternatives for things in the future.

Relax. Just call them. They must get a hundreds of emails a day.

JimAtLaw
May 22, 2011, 02:35 AM
Yep, that's why when you order it direct, they ship you one.

I don't think this is a sufficient answer. They characterize the thing as a free extra when you order direct - not as a required part in order to keep from damaging your iPad. If a separate screen protector is required, they should say this up front and include it in the package, as a lot of us don't have one and might not want one. (In the video they post of putting the thing together on the site, I don't remember any reference at all to putting a screen protector on before putting the iPad in the case.)

3goldens
May 22, 2011, 10:34 AM
It's not that the speaker is not directly covered. It's covered from the direct back, but not from the side.

whatever, if its not protected, its not protected, front or side makes no difference to me, seems foolish.

I'm looking at getting the Drop Series even though I hate the tire tread back it has!

Db9938
May 22, 2011, 11:24 AM
Relax. Just call them. They must get a hundreds of emails a day.

I am not pacing the floor, but in modern day and age, a company that designs and markets technology accessories, must be adept at responding to this world.

Making a phone call, why? It takes no more time or resources to answer an e-mail.

Db9938
May 22, 2011, 11:30 AM
I don't think this is a sufficient answer. They characterize the thing as a free extra when you order direct - not as a required part in order to keep from damaging your iPad. If a separate screen protector is required, they should say this up front and include it in the package, as a lot of us don't have one and might not want one. (In the video they post of putting the thing together on the site, I don't remember any reference at all to putting a screen protector on before putting the iPad in the case.)

I agree.

Db9938
May 22, 2011, 11:38 AM
whatever, if its not protected, its not protected, front or side makes no difference to me, seems foolish.

I'm looking at getting the Drop Series even though I hate the tire tread back it has!

I understand, there are a lot of things that I would change in this design. But I don't make IPad cases for a living.

3goldens
May 22, 2011, 05:32 PM
I understand, there are a lot of things that I would change in this design. But I don't make IPad cases for a living.

Funny!

Maybe we should all be hired as consultants because it does seem there are distinct things folks seem to want in their cases yet manufactures continually fail to listen.

An example being the headphone p,ug apparently still does not fit into place properly. I have not yet personally seen this but have only seen comments about it and experience the very annoying pop out thing with my first defender case. Bugs me to no end, so much so i sometimes just want to rip it off! One would think they got a fair number of complaints about that design flaw but seemingly faile to fix this on the new variation.

Mind bogling!

Thing is no matter how perfect the case is, there will always be opinion and disagreement on what that would be.

The bottom line being, there could never be a perfect case.

So, we just continue to look for the ultimate perfect case that means our personal needs and then we share what works here so others can benefit from the experience.

I sure have learned a lot from readin about others experience here and sure appreciate the fact we have this forum to give us some guidance on these things.

socal949
May 22, 2011, 09:57 PM
Funny!

An example being the headphone p,ug apparently still does not fit into place properly. I have not yet personally seen this but have only seen comments about it and experience the very annoying pop out thing with my first defender case.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5303/5745121555_a27d4a0fde.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bellogente/5745121555/)
2011 05 21_0928 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bellogente/5745121555/) by BelloGente (http://www.flickr.com/people/bellogente/)

So far I'm very happy with my Otterbox case(s)... Enjoy the slides. :)

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjuFD8ax

gigemzach
May 22, 2011, 11:04 PM
I think the gumdrop one looks much nicer and at almost half the price.

3goldens
May 22, 2011, 11:56 PM
Image (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bellogente/5745121555/)
2011 05 21_0928 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bellogente/5745121555/) by BelloGente (http://www.flickr.com/people/bellogente/)

So far I'm very happy with my Otterbox case(s)... Enjoy the slides. :)

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjuFD8ax

Thanks for the pictures! It really looks much better than I imagined with all the naysayers.....I reserve judgment till Tuesday on this one.

One thing that does worry me is the difficulty of getting the ipad in and out. I like to interchange my case from time to time and I keep my original one in its defender full time, so in the end I may not use this one all that much, so I may return it. We'll see how it pans out I do also want to check out the gumdrop.

I think the gumdrop one looks much nicer and at almost half the price.

That's not really true.

While it is a great looking case, especially the black and red one, the price for the drop series is 60 bucks, the military one is ten bucks more, 70 bucks but you better like that ugly army green!

You can get the Defender for about the same price or less.

I would like to know how much the drop series weighs compared to the defender, they don't mention this anywhere in the description for some reason.

JimAtLaw
May 23, 2011, 08:25 AM
Dunno... A lot of the complaints here seem pretty minimal to me, but AFAIC, having hard plastic rubbing against the glass such that the case will itself damage the device in ordinary use without using a separate screen protector to protect the iPad from the case is a serious design flaw.

mrbunglez
May 23, 2011, 02:21 PM
If you dont like the otterbox defender you can always get the seidio active its available now on their website for 69.99
http://www.seidioonline.com/product-p/csk5ipd2-bk.htm

I personally like this otterbox defender case i got it today, but thats just my opinion.

Db9938
May 23, 2011, 03:33 PM
Funny!

Maybe we should all be hired as consultants because it does seem there are distinct things folks seem to want in their cases yet manufactures continually fail to listen.

An example being the headphone p,ug apparently still does not fit into place properly. I have not yet personally seen this but have only seen comments about it and experience the very annoying pop out thing with my first defender case. Bugs me to no end, so much so i sometimes just want to rip it off! One would think they got a fair number of complaints about that design flaw but seemingly faile to fix this on the new variation.

Mind bogling!

Thing is no matter how perfect the case is, there will always be opinion and disagreement on what that would be.

The bottom line being, there could never be a perfect case.

So, we just continue to look for the ultimate perfect case that means our personal needs and then we share what works here so others can benefit from the experience.

I sure have learned a lot from readin about others experience here and sure appreciate the fact we have this forum to give us some guidance on these things.

You know, I would be more than willing to be a beta tester. But what do I know....

And to a greater extent, you are probably right, the perfect case for some, may be wrong case for another. That said, there does seem to be some consensus among a few D2 owners on some of the inherent flaws, that should have weeded out in the beta process.

And yes, I do agree in the idea of community forums, such as this one. I belong to a few others, non-apple or electronics oriented. And I am always amazed at the diversity of participation and backgrounds of the membership.

Db9938
May 23, 2011, 03:44 PM
Folks, even though I may, to some, have come across as a naysayer, I am still partially satisfied with the case and cover/stand.

I hope that people can see that when I have provided a complaint, that I have also offered a suggestion to correct the issue.

The last thing, with the few posts that I have on this forum, is to be labeled a whiner.

3goldens
May 23, 2011, 06:51 PM
Just got my Otter Case Defender for Ipad 2 from GleeMobile.com and I got to wonder what the negative fuss is about.

This case is GREAT!

I love it, and so will you, don't listen to the detractors and complainers here, this thing rocks!

It looks absolutely great and is so well thought out and designed, accommodating and protecting the Ipad 2 in every single way.

Not only that, there are a couple things worth highlighting right off the bat!

The front cover can be easily made into a SMART COVER!

How about that! I'll get back to this in a minute.

This makes this case all the more attractive!

Also: The Otterbox Defender is definitely Ipad back skin protection friendly. Very important detail for some of us.

I have a Wrapsol skin protector on the pack of my ipad 2.

I think it is fair to say this skin protector by Wrapsol is one of the thicker ones out there, so this is great to know and people should know that one can utilize other protectors based on this fact.

In my experience, having used both Zagg, and BSE (worst skins ever), are seemingly a great deal thinner and definitely much more stickier in feeling, but they should work if your using either one of those.

My Ipad 2 slipped right into The Defender's plastic casing without one problem, no snags, no tight fit, slid right into its protective cover and snapped into place beautifully!

What a joy knowing I can take it out of the Defender anytime I want and not have to worry about the back protection when changing cases.
Very good news to all that like to utilize this option when using your Ipad,

The Otterbox Defender is definitely Ipad screen protector friendly!!!

So are you using a different screen protector like, SGP, Wrapsol, or Power Support Anti Glare, which is what I use,

NO PROBLEM! Use them, don't remove them, they integrate beautifully with the Defender!

You do not have to use the one supplied by Otterbox. Keep it as a spare. Its probably not as good as the ones mentioned above!

I would think this would be fairly obvious but some seem to think this a prerequisites of using this durable protective enclosure, not at all, use whatever your little heart desires!

Now some thoughts based on some of the negative things I have read written about this case.

Yes it is lighter, so much lighter and wonderfully lighter making it so much easier to handle and use!

Makes the entire experience totally different than using the original Defender with the Ipad 1. It extraordinary that it feels so much lighter than the original in its defender case. The exact weight was noted earlier but it really feels significantly different when using.

The best way to explain is Its like the difference between reading a hardback book and a paperback. It is a totally different feeling of weight in your hands.

It has the same great rubber grip, nothing changed her much from the original

Yes Otterbox shaved off some of the margins around the screen!

So what!

It's such a better design and one doesn't miss for one second the former bulk of the original Defender. Once you pick it up and start using it, you'll forget all about whatever was once there!

Most importantly I did not think even for a moment that Otterbox sacrificed anything in overall protection when they made this design decision.

The Ipad is totally entombed in its protective shell and surrounded by the rubber outer casing and is fully protected all the way around.

Also great news is this Defender installs so much easier and faster than the original. It will from now on take you far less time to get your Ipad 2 in and out of this case. I want to be able to change cases when ever I want and I don't want it to be a chore! I do think I'll end up using this one quite a lot!

And, whoever said something about there not being adequate space to protect the screen when laying the Defender on a flat surface? That doing so was leaving it exposed and susceptible to screen scratches?????

WHAT???? Absolutely false, nonsense, more rumors and innuendo!

There is no way the screen will get damaged being close to a flat surface. NONE! There is without doubt a very comfortable margin of space between the case and screen and whatever flat surface it is placed faced down on

There should have no worries about this, especially if your using a screen protector, which everyone does who uses this case.

Yes the speaker grill is open, again, a big so what!

I was a little worried about this until I saw how they creatively designed a way to enclose this bottom section of the ipad by fully recessing the speaker grill into the Defender's case. The speaker is not susceptible to any kind of drop or mishap.

It's not a water proof case after all, maybe just maybe somewhat water resistant.

In the Defender case it is sufficiently recessed into its protective environment to protect it from minor spills or drops into a wet or damp surface, especially if that it doesn't have any depth to it. This is a theory and I'm not testing, but it sure looks that way!

If you drop it in a puddle or submerge it in an ocean, lake, river, whatever, your going to definitely have a problem.

To my knowledge there isn't a case out yet that will prevent this kind of water damage to the open speaker grill.

they removed the very annoying charge cover door, thank goodness!

To remove and access the charging port, simply unsnap your rear flap and pop the charge cord in and your good to go. So much smarter design.

Also much has been also said about the volume button closure not staying securely closed. I did not find this to be the case with my case, though I can see this potentially being a problem down the line.

There are two things I would like see improved and these are simple straight forward things Otter could do right away with out any problem what so ever.

There are home fixes for both, but these are things that should be addressed by Otter to improve the quality and add a feature to this already great product.

The first is the headphone jack seal.

I would recommend Otter consider changing this from a straight flap that is supposed to button down and close securely be changed to include a rubber nipple on middle part of the flap which would simply be used like a plug going directly into the headphone jack.

This would seal that port completely and securely. I think there is probably a home remedy for that, but I'll have to give that some further thought.

The way Otter choose to do it seems to be not as secure in a closed position as one might want I can see this easily popping out, a little like the first defender, which was annoying.

Compared to the back flap for the charging port the headphone jack is no where near as securely closed. I wonder why they did not see this potential problem.

I want to be clear on this, it does stay closed, it just could stay more closed more securely.

Given the great amount of complaint and furor I had read and was expecting, this proved to be again a little bit blown way out of proportion. People you just can't believe everything you read!

The flap definitely stays in place once secured, a little wiggle here, a little wiggle there seems to do the trick. Mine is in there and seems to be staying put.

The other thing I discovered is something I have not seen mentioned.

Why did they not make their front cover Smart?

Why not utilize the great sleep/wake feature, could have been easily accomplished as it took me all of ten minutes to do!

This would have made a nifty additional feature for the Defender another great selling point, for this case, and, a simple one for Otter to have included during the design and manufacturing of the case, yet it was not done.

Until now!

I simply placed a small sliver of a magnet with some double sided tape to the inside part of the front cover and BINGO,

Now we have an Otterbox with smart front cover, now that's great!

I have included a few pictures of placement, upper left hand corner of front cover you'll see the magnet. Obviously the double sided tape showing in the pictures would not be the case once you affix the magnet permanently, You would see nothing!

This is a fairly simple and straightforward fix. Just do a little testing with a small piece of a magnet, and some double sided tape will work.

I am not going to affix the magnet to the inside of the case permanently right away as I want to see how it works for the next couple of days but so far, it hasn't failed once when removing the front cover and placing it back on!

Put the cover on, nighty night Ipad,
take it off good morning Ipad!

I think this makes a nice little additional feature for this already exceptional case!

So the bottom line for me is two thumbs way way up and I couldn't be happier with this case.

As I said I got mine at GleeMobile.com (www.gleemobile.com) and for a very fair price, I might add

I do think there are some coupons floating around out there, so look around.

They are a huge distributer of Otterbox have a great relationship with them, and I have heard from them directly that they'll be receiving their shipments much sooner than those notorious discounters who are all trying to undercut everybody else.

Gleemobile also have free shipping, no tax, all the more reason to throw them the business!

I highly recommend your checking them out for all your accessories and especially this case, do not believe the naysayers, this case is hands down awesome!

-Magnet attached with double sided tape to inside Otterbox Defender for Ipad 2 front cover

Ipad on front cover not completely closed.

Ipad off front cover completely closed.

jamesp57
May 23, 2011, 07:29 PM
Are you guys using the screen protector that ships with the Otterbox case or one from, say, Power Support?

3goldens
May 23, 2011, 07:50 PM
Are you guys using the screen protector that ships with the Otterbox case or one from, say, Power Support?

Power Support

Db9938
May 23, 2011, 08:34 PM
I am currently using the one from Otterbox, for now.

And 3goldens, insofar as the speaker exposure, my concern with the lack one is not from the liquid aspect, but from dust.

Your idea with the headphone jack, could be the thing.

3goldens
May 23, 2011, 08:38 PM

And 3goldens, insofar as the speaker exposure, my concern with the lack one is not from the liquid aspect, but from dust.

Got it and your right, dust might, not definitely, be a problem, but then Im not sure there is presently a case that would protect it from that, even the drop series would be prone to that.

Let's figure out a way to add a nipple, shall we?

Db9938
May 23, 2011, 10:34 PM
That might also be a challenge. Depending on the exact material make-up, adhesion might be out of the question, that is while still remaining pliable.

3goldens
May 24, 2011, 01:48 PM
That might also be a challenge. Depending on the exact material make-up, adhesion might be out of the question, that is while still remaining pliable.

Well, we will have to give this some thought. One never knows!

3goldens
May 25, 2011, 12:17 AM

I have been thinking about this dust thing, just what kind of environment will it be in that your worried that dust will get into the minuscule speaker grill. I like to think of solutions, but also curious.

May be there would be a to formulate a rubber plug of some sort fashioned out of something similar to the rubber material currently going around the outside bezel.

Now I am perfectly very clear doing a plug cover ting would render the speaker virtually unusable, muffled and inaudible. Maybe you don't need sound at this particular location, maybe you do and can use headphones.

But whatever the conditions are that your worried about dust getting into your speaker grill, and for all I know you may be worried about just regular run of the mill day to day dust, but need less to say, this may be a possible temporary fix.

If dust is a real concern for you for any activities your engaging in with your ipad in the Defender play around with a few things fixes and let us know how you make out.

I'll keep pondering too!

3goldens
May 25, 2011, 04:27 PM
I finally realized why they designed the front cover the way they did, boy am I slow sometimes!

When the front cover is placed on the back of the Defender one still has the ability to use the rear camera.

They designed a corresponding cut out on the other end so no matter which way one puts on the front cover the camera port is available, thereby eliminating any confusion form the user when replacing the cover on the screen.

I mocked this up just to see what it would have looked like had they decided to go the other way. All the fuss and complaints I read about the unprotected areas, I can't imagine what would have happened had they gone the other way. Good Lord they covered the camera port! OMG I never know which way os the proper way to put on the front cover.

LOL!

What it would have looked like with full protection-REAR VIEW

What it does look like!

Eclipsecon
May 25, 2011, 05:47 PM
I think I have an idea that should fix the poor fit of the audio plug cover. Put a pin through/across thickes part at the end of the flap to make the flap rigid across the end. it won't bow which should make it fit flat.

Db9938
May 25, 2011, 07:09 PM
The dust type varies, from the day to day stuff to auto-body sanding dust, wood dust, masonry dust, etc.

I am a teacher at a vocational school, and find myself in variety of environments on any given day at any given moment.

The sound is something that I do like to have, but it's not vital to have it every moment of the day. And granted, the speaker is of better quality than the iPod touch, I can still hear the speaker through the flap on that defender cover, for an email notification.

And I still think for the price, these things should have been included in the design.

3goldens
May 25, 2011, 10:19 PM
The dust type varies, from the day to day stuff to auto-body sanding dust, wood dust, masonry dust, etc.

I am a teacher at a vocational school, and find myself in variety of environments on any given day at any given moment.

The sound is something that I do like to have, but it's not vital to have it every moment of the day. And granted, the speaker is of better quality than the iPod touch, I can still hear the speaker through the flap on that defender cover, for an email notification.

And I still think for the price, these things should have been included in the design.

Not arguing that brother! Your right, they should have, but I am not at all sure how the dust thing could have been solved. While the grill holes are pretty tiny they could certainly be an entry point. So perhaps when your in that real dusty environment use a fitted piece of foam rubber to ensure nothing foreign gets in.

Its interesting for me to know that after looking into the other options, I found that the seido active offers not port coverage at all, everything is open!

It is 30% lighter than the Defender though. I would like to demo it and see how it compares, maybe down the line.

And Eclipsecon....good thought there. Will try and let you know.

peter3
May 25, 2011, 11:34 PM
Not arguing that brother! Your right, they should have, but I am not at all sure how the dust thing could have been solved. While the grill holes are pretty tiny they could certainly be an entry point. So perhaps when your in that real dusty environment use a fitted piece of foam rubber to ensure nothing foreign gets in.

Its interesting for me to know that after looking into the other options, I found that the seido active offers not port coverage at all, everything is open!

It is 30% lighter than the Defender though. I would like to demo it and see how it compares, maybe down the line.

And Eclipsecon....good thought there. Will try and let you know.

Hey, since you got an otterbox would love to see a otter vs seidio comparison.

iphone4customer
May 26, 2011, 06:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wu9iebCkGk - detailed review. i get the sense that this guy really really likes this case...

revenent
May 27, 2011, 03:14 AM
Can anyone post some side by side pictures comparing the thickness of the iPad 2 and the otterbox defender?

iamthekiller
May 27, 2011, 11:40 AM
I finally realized why they designed the front cover the way they did, boy am I slow sometimes!

When the front cover is placed on the back of the Defender one still has the ability to use the rear camera.

They designed a corresponding cut out on the other end so no matter which way one puts on the front cover the camera port is available, thereby eliminating any confusion form the user when replacing the cover on the screen.

I mocked this up just to see what it would have looked like had they decided to go the other way. All the fuss and complaints I read about the unprotected areas, I can't imagine what would have happened had they gone the other way. Good Lord they covered the camera port! OMG I never know which way os the proper way to put on the front cover.

LOL!

What it would have looked like with full protection-REAR VIEW

What it does look like!

It was mentioned a few pages ago about why the cover has those missing pieces, but welcome to the party :)

The cover is still the biggest failure of the case.

atomicbatteries
May 27, 2011, 03:08 PM
It was mentioned a few pages ago about why the cover has those missing pieces, but welcome to the party :)

The cover is still the biggest failure of the case.

Totally disagree.

You'd have to elaborate on the specifics of that statement.

Have any better alternatives?

atomicbatteries
May 27, 2011, 03:19 PM

Actually, I did not see a proper explanation of why, that's why the front cover was designed the way it was.

Just this whining post complaining before even getting one!

Wondering if you even ever got one to visually inspect it for yourself in order to understand why they designed it this way, or whether you just like to complain about things you think you know everything there is to know about it by looking at pictures and reading threads?

jamesp57
May 27, 2011, 07:09 PM

Costco just updated their website. The backorder date has moved to June 13th.

revenent
May 28, 2011, 10:47 AM
I just deceived my otter box in the mail. I was impressed by it's build quality until I realized that the headphone jack cover does not close fully and properly. It occasionally pops out while being taken out of a bag and it's quite troublesome to atach it back in again.

For the price of the case, I was not expecting such lapses in their design of this case.

3goldens
May 28, 2011, 11:19 AM
I just deceived my otter box in the mail. I was impressed by it's build quality until I realized that the headphone jack cover does not close fully and properly. It occasionally pops out while being taken out of a bag and it's quite troublesome to atach it back in again.

For the price of the case, I was not expecting such lapses in their design of this case.

I know, it's a pain.
I found after I played with it a while, squeezing and pinching it into place worked.
Read the thread, there are simple fixes around.

I carefully put a small piece of a paper clip through the thickest part of the flap. Once through I snipped off the ends leaving a very small nub on each side. It straighten out the flab and now when I close it it stays in place because of two small ends of the paperclip, very securely I might add.

The other thing I thought about once I did this was a small nipple that could be fashioned out of the kind of thing that sometimes comes with a stylus that can be attached to theIpad via the headphone jack.

Now I have not done this but because this plastic insert piece has a hole in for the cord that attaches the pen to the iPad, perhaps there is a way to affix this to the headphone flap on the otter box? So when you close the headphone flap the former stylus holder now goes into the headphone jack and holds the flap on place.

Maybe just a crazy idea, but one could obviously experiment with another piece rubber before performing this on their Defender.

revenent
May 28, 2011, 09:48 PM
I am just curious if anyone noticed this on their otterbox. After installing the case, is there a very small gap on the two sides of the case on the screen?I am asking because I can slip a piece of paper in tot the case between the cover and the screen around the middle part of on both sides.

Fubar1977
May 30, 2011, 05:42 AM
My god that`s ugly.
As are all otterbox cases.
I`d honestly rather have a scratched up iPad than put it in that cheap/nasty looking case.
And yes I have tried the otterbox cases on my original iPad.
It`s like putting an anorak on a ferrari.

jamesp57
May 30, 2011, 09:34 AM
Has anyone dropped their ipad 2 with this case on it yet?

I'm using a Temple Bags case right now and although beautiful I'm looking for a little more protection.

3goldens
May 30, 2011, 10:34 AM
My god that`s ugly.
I`d honestly rather have a scratched up iPad than put it in that cheap/nasty looking case.

Thanks for sharing.

Some people, who work in the field with a delicate instruments find this protective case essential.

Its not all about looks bro.

Db9938
May 30, 2011, 12:53 PM
My god that`s ugly.

Ugly? Maybe to some, but for some it's a matter of function over form. And with the environs that I use mine, it serves almost all my criteria.

BlindMellon
May 30, 2011, 02:52 PM
My god that`s ugly.

Think of it as the Hummer of iPad cases. Well, actually, take that back. There was absolutely no need for the GM Hummer, outside of someone with a small d!ck and inferiority complex. There may actually be a need for this over built monstrosity.

3goldens
Jun 1, 2011, 01:44 PM
The Griffin Survivor offers that speaker protection some of you have been longing for.

Db9938
Jun 1, 2011, 11:41 PM
The Griffin Survivor offers that speaker protection some of you have been longing for.

Yeah, that's more along the lines that I was hoping for in the case.

Although, the lack of front cover really has me wondering about the built in screen cover. It's mentioned, but not really discussed on the web page.

And comparing that stand, to the D2 stand, it does not appear to be as substantial or simply to operate. I have to give credit to Otterbox there.

leire
Jun 2, 2011, 05:14 PM
Gumdrop IPAD 2 Drop case

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhRlenVUWTo

Griffin survivor case

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7anSg_zeMFE

Seidio case

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAg1xb84RIU

Db9938
Jun 5, 2011, 09:52 PM
Has anyone else sent their D2 back, and if so how difficult of a process was it?

SFENDER
Jun 6, 2011, 08:34 AM
Just ordered the otterbox for my upcoming 10 day international trip. Good solid max protection for my backpack during overnight trains, planes etc. Its not perfect but no case is.

cardinalryan
Jun 6, 2011, 09:32 PM
I am just curious if anyone noticed this on their otterbox. After installing the case, is there a very small gap on the two sides of the case on the screen?I am asking because I can slip a piece of paper in tot the case between the cover and the screen around the middle part of on both sides.

This and more. I'm a big fan of Otterbox products, but this case is terrible and not worth half the asking price.

The defender for the first iPad was infinitely better than this thing. Mine is going back to the store tomorrow. Most Otterbox products scream quality, but not this one. The case is creaky, cheap feeling and simply the worst Otterbox product I've ever laid my hands on.

3goldens
Jun 6, 2011, 11:51 PM
This and more. I'm a big fan of Otterbox products, but this case is terrible and not worth half the asking price.

The defender for the first iPad was infinitely better than this thing. Mine is going back to the store tomorrow. Most Otterbox products scream quality, but not this one. The case is creaky, cheap feeling and simply the worst Otterbox product I've ever laid my hands on.

Your right, it sucks! I have not used mine in several weeks.

I have my Ipad 1 in the original, solid as a rock, love it, very disappointed with this one.

Sent an email to Otter today complaining about the headphone plug, which just sucks so bad it's pathetic, even with my fix, I hate it!

Can't return it now either, so whatever....loss and a big FAIL for OTTER!

Db9938
Jun 7, 2011, 10:00 PM
If I have said it twice, I will say it three times. This will be my last otterbox product purchase. I have spent well over $500 over the past 3 years on their products, and have convinced others of their products, to amount well over four times that money. That may be small pittance in their corporate world, but my word is certainly worth more than that.

This product is enough of a failure, that the company should go back to the drawing board, fix it, and offer a one-to-one trade in. That is if they want to keep at least one loyal customer, that will most certainly be purchasing other handhelds in the future.

TOYSTRY
Jun 7, 2011, 10:54 PM
I have a brand new one for sale if anyone wants it.

3goldens
Jun 8, 2011, 12:39 AM
I actually called them today and they are sending me a new silicon wrap for the case, so I will see if the headphone plug works any better. But it will also allow me to sell it as new or better yet return it if I get it within the next week or so.

iphone4customer
Jun 8, 2011, 07:22 AM
B-minus grade from iLounge: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/otterbox-defender-series-case-for-ipad-2/

I'm switching over to gumdrop...i just like the idea of a built-in screen protector.

mrbunglez
Jun 8, 2011, 09:13 AM
I'm going to keep mine until the lifeproof case comes out this fall, then I'm going to sell it.
I agree with you all this case isn't what I expected.

marine0816
Jun 8, 2011, 10:38 AM
cellularaccessory.com is some scammers. they keep lying about a availability/ship date and pushes it up every two weeks and blame otterbox for it... dont trust this company, waiting on my refund.

3goldens
Jun 8, 2011, 01:02 PM
B-minus grade from iLounge: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/otterbox-defender-series-case-for-ipad-2/

I'm switching over to gumdrop...i just like the idea of a built-in screen protector.

if you can find one and no one their ever responds to email inquiries and I have sent 4 or 5! All I was trying to find out was availability and the weight of the darn thing.

I'm not at all sure about this built in screen protector, they are usually of very low quality nothing like power support would give!

So I need to hear more about this and see some reviews, its a big TBD!

iphone4customer
Jun 8, 2011, 01:37 PM
if you can find one and no one their ever responds to email inquiries and I have sent 4 or 5! All I was trying to find out was availability and the weight of the darn thing.

I'm not at all sure about this built in screen protector, they are usually of very low quality nothing like power support would give!

So I need to hear more about this and see some reviews, its a big TBD!

A-minus rating by iLounge of the gumdrop case: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/gumdrop-cases-drop-series-case-for-ipad-2/

I put in my order yesterday and emailed the company to switch the color that I ordered. They responded within an hour and shipped out the case last night. When I receive it I'll take a few shots and let you know what I think.

whiskeyred
Jun 8, 2011, 01:59 PM
Just got my Military one at lunch, love it. Awesome case

athurman
Jun 8, 2011, 07:47 PM
Now available on Amazon.com for $57 with FREE shipping! I snatched it up as I will use it for my special needs son who has been known to destroy gadgets (2 Logitech harmony remotes so far). Now if I can find a good way to lock him out of the device so he can use it but not re-configure it. Anyone got any good suggestions for that?

Thx :apple:

shawandaoquendo
Jun 9, 2011, 04:36 AM
And some more

Thanks for posting the pictures!

3goldens
Jun 9, 2011, 11:41 AM
A-minus rating by iLounge of the gumdrop case: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/gumdrop-cases-drop-series-case-for-ipad-2/

I put in my order yesterday and emailed the company to switch the color that I ordered. They responded within an hour and shipped out the case last night. When I receive it I'll take a few shots and let you know what I think.

That is truly unbelievable!

I look forward to hearing all about the screen protector and if you have ti use it.

I will try for the fifth time to contact them.
And going to ship back my Otterboox. They got a miserable review on ilounge.

marine0816
Jun 9, 2011, 02:55 PM
i filed a dispute with cellularaccessory.com for not giving me my refund after they keep pushing the ship date every week. I just ordered the survivor case from Amazon since all the bad reviews for the otterbox

Db9938
Jun 9, 2011, 02:59 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures!

No problem. The sad thing, I emailed otterbox, and offered them the same information. I got nothing in response. That there, says everything.

3goldens
Jun 9, 2011, 05:06 PM
Actually, I did not see a proper explanation of why, that's why the front cover was designed the way it was.

Just this whining post complaining before even getting one!

Wondering if you even ever got one to visually inspect it for yourself in order to understand why they designed it this way, or whether you just like to complain about things you think you know everything there is to know about it by looking at pictures and reading threads?

that's interesting the told me they were not shipping till june 15th.

Roadking
Jun 29, 2011, 09:47 PM
I just preordered too from that cellular link above. Hope it is legit. Coupon code still worked.

My Otterbox case from cellularaccessory finally arrived today. My post above was back on April 15th.

Talk about fast shipping :(

TOYSTRY
Jun 29, 2011, 10:36 PM
Gumdrop IPAD 2 Drop case

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhRlenVUWTo

Griffin survivor case

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7anSg_zeMFE

Seidio case

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAg1xb84RIU

Those reviews were horrible (I know you didn't video them, simply just an observation). Anyway, after watching those reviews I'm a firm believer the Otterbox is the most pratical and a functional of the available options. I have an OTTERBOX and thought it was a bit lack luster until now, think I'll keep it now.