PDA

View Full Version : How has your Smart Cover held up 1 month later?

Blakjack
Apr 8, 2011, 07:33 AM
http://www.chipchick.com/2011/04/month-ipad-smart-cover.html#

blevins321
Apr 8, 2011, 07:53 AM
I returned mine after 2 weeks to Best Buy. It was starting to gather dust terribly and it might have been 'just me,' but it seemed like the magnets were starting to get weaker. It was also not laying flat as well.

Edit: I got a Colcasac (http://www.colcasac.com) sleeve and I'm waiting on a Portenzo (http://www.portenzo.com) :)

Xeperu
Apr 8, 2011, 07:54 AM
I hate it with passion. Too bad I couldn't return it. Will probably gift it to my mum who wants an iPad as well. Ordered an STM Skinny instead.

David R
Apr 8, 2011, 07:56 AM
It's getting dirty, just like the pictures on that link. But a damp cloth seems to do the trick.

macse30
Apr 8, 2011, 07:58 AM
The light gray color is getting a little smudged, but I work outside. Doesn't bother me a bit and I love the smart cover. Uncover, work, cover. Make money.

maflynn
Apr 8, 2011, 08:01 AM
Those images are consistent with what I thought would happen. Maybe the leather versions will be better but the constant folding create areas of extra wear. Handling it causes the cover to get dirt and crap on it.

I wasn't impressed with the design, look and implementation of the smart cover, and time will tell how they hold up. it seems though its not pretty after a month, never mind 6 months

jdcell100
Apr 8, 2011, 08:17 AM
But was I the only one who didn't know that when you fold your smart cover back in like a triangle pull it off yr iPad and use it to clean ur screen it works fantastic anybody else try this

firteen888
Apr 8, 2011, 08:35 AM
Mine has gotten extremely dirty and worn (black leather) and I've hardly even used it much. At this point I've just removed it from my ipad alltogether.....wish I could return it.

Muscleflex
Apr 8, 2011, 08:47 AM
to be honest - i kinda expected this would happen and i didnt want to purchase one in the first place. god damn cute girl at apple! i didnt have the power to say no! :(
so i am stuck with a smart cover!

Legion93
Apr 8, 2011, 08:49 AM
Just perfect. The black leather cover is as new the day I bought it.

robanga
Apr 8, 2011, 09:00 AM
Red leather one has held well at about 2 weeks. I decided to buy a gray neoprene one yesterday. I may by more and change them around as the mood strikes me.

clyde2801
Apr 8, 2011, 09:26 AM
I think certain colors like black and tan would take the wear better, or look better 'distressed'. The red ones don't appear to age well at all.

WorldIRC
Apr 8, 2011, 09:31 AM
Returned mine and got an actual case

nightfly13
Apr 8, 2011, 10:49 AM
This thread is a big broader, but here's the result of a 'dirtiness' thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1126129).

sotie
Apr 8, 2011, 12:10 PM
Just perfect. The black leather cover is as new the day I bought it.

+1. My black leather looks great also. I use my ipad all the time and never remove the smart cover. I just applied Meltonian leather conditioner a couple of days ago and will do so about once a month to preserve.

reputationZed
Apr 8, 2011, 01:20 PM
Handling it causes the cover to get dirt and crap on it.

Wouldn't that be true of any case?

franmatt80
Apr 8, 2011, 05:08 PM
Yup, mine is dirty already, but I don't mind- after all, it's there as protection so the iPad stays in mint condition...not so worried about the cover....

makefunnyfaces
Apr 8, 2011, 05:36 PM
My pink Smart Cover is slightly dirty, but it's still good. :D

alan111
Apr 8, 2011, 05:45 PM
But was I the only one who didn't know that when you fold your smart cover back in like a triangle pull it off yr iPad and use it to clean ur screen it works fantastic anybody else try this

Ha! I just tried it and it really does work! I never knew either!!!
Thanks for this tip pal.

CristobalHuet
Apr 9, 2011, 09:00 AM
My black leather one is looking a little worn, but it looks nice due to the colour/feel combo.

However, the right hinge (when held in landscape) is not flat against the iPad back anymore, and is slightly crooked when folded into typing mode. Not a huge deal, still works fine, yet another sign of wear.

2 Owls
Apr 9, 2011, 11:12 AM
My black leather smart cover is perfect so far, I've given it a coat of liquid leather and it's even softer than before now, the folds have a nice leather creased look to them while the pannels look really clean and smooth, I knew the leather would hold up better, almost silly money but it does look great and will do so for longer.

cbronfman
Apr 9, 2011, 03:24 PM
My black leather smart cover is perfect so far, I've given it a coat of liquid leather and it's even softer than before now, the folds have a nice leather creased look to them while the pannels look really clean and smooth, I knew the leather would hold up better, almost silly money but it does look great and will do so for longer.

+1 although I hadn't thought to apply anything like liquid leather. It's still in the natural state it came in and still looks good. I do periodically wipe the microfiber side that covers the screen - I find a moist microfiber cloth works great although I have in reserve the lint roller option. (I also clear the surface of wherever I'm rolling back the cover to use the iPad2.)

glen e
Apr 9, 2011, 03:40 PM
This also works well on the leather covers - both my tan and black have been treated. It does not dye the leather but refreshens the whole look. Rub it in with clean fingers and buff off the excess, let air dry in 2-10 min. Just like your shoes, leather needs monthly maint to look good.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/6a40d11e.jpg

brudog68
Apr 10, 2011, 03:18 PM
My black leather one still looks great, but choosing other cover options...anyone want a deal?lol

BergerFan
Apr 10, 2011, 03:28 PM
But was I the only one who didn't know that when you fold your smart cover back in like a triangle pull it off yr iPad and use it to clean ur screen it works fantastic anybody else try thisHehe. I saw that a couple of weeks ago, in another thread. It works a treat! Saves me taking a cloth with me.

Had my Tan leather for just over a week, and it's holding up pretty well, so far. Might get a polyurethane, for a change of pace.

jxr0124
Apr 10, 2011, 08:27 PM
It does not matter what kind of cover or case that you get, if you don't take care of your stuff it will look like crap......What do people expect manufacturers to do...Make a bullet proof cover that will never show wear and never get dirty no matter what you do. Just take some time and clean you stuff every day or two and it will be ok. Don't expect to lay it down in a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and come out perfectly clean you little whiney babies....:D

lugesm
Apr 10, 2011, 08:35 PM
After 2 weeks my Navy Leather still looks good, but I am sure that time and dirt will dull it.

I will try the Kiwi cleaner. Thanks for the tip.

Bigchris
Apr 10, 2011, 09:37 PM
I also have the Black Leather cover as well since day one when the ipad 2 came out, and it is still looking very clean, of course some creases in the folds, but that's it. Still looks great, and I use mine everyday.

steadysignal
Apr 11, 2011, 07:55 AM
glad i did not buy one now...

stick with the best skins ever...

SoybeanStasher
Apr 11, 2011, 09:05 AM
I'm actually looking forward to my cases (black leather Smart Cover and Portenzo) getting beaten up a little and looking worn. The Moleskine notebook I've been using for the past 3 years definitely looks used, but I like it how looks compared to a brand new one. It contains a lot of wisdom.

djmodifyd
Apr 11, 2011, 10:17 AM
Black leather smart cover,
Used since 3 days after launch, looks brand new still and I used my iPad all day everyday