Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjshaw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
PowerBook G4 1.33GHz/ 256MB/ 60GB/ SuperDrive/ AP Extreme Card/ E/ 12-inch/ Aluminum - Apple Certified

$1299

This is my first PowerBook since my beloved 5300cs. Good deal? Any advice for a born-again Apple guy to get my feet wet?

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
I wish you could order from the stupid Apple Store without paying tax. That's nearly $1350 for me after tax, I could get a brand new Rev D. for $150 more from an online retailer that doesn't charge tax. :\

sjshaw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
io_burn said:
I wish you could order from the stupid Apple Store without paying tax. That's nearly $1350 for me after tax, I could get a brand new Rev D. for $150 more from an online retailer that doesn't charge tax. :\

With a SuperDrive?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
sjshaw said:
PowerBook G4 1.33GHz/ 256MB/ 60GB/ SuperDrive/ AP Extreme Card/ E/ 12-inch/ Aluminum - Apple Certified

$1299

This is my first PowerBook since my beloved 5300cs. Good deal? Any advice for a born-again Apple guy to get my feet wet?
Yes, it's a good deal. About 25% off the price of a comparable Rev D (except a little slower, but I doubt you'll notice that).

In terms of getting your feet wet - what do you plan to do with it? Try using the iLife apps to make a movie or two, or to catalog your digital photos.

applefan

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2003
No. Cal.
Amazon is offering rebates on PBs and other products now. I don't know why; they don't even have them in stock, but factor that with no tax or shipping and it's a pretty good deal too.

It's anyones guess as to how long it will take to ship it.

sjshaw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
emw said:
Yes, it's a good deal. About 25% off the price of a comparable Rev D (except a little slower, but I doubt you'll notice that).

In terms of getting your feet wet - what do you plan to do with it? Try using the iLife apps to make a movie or two, or to catalog your digital photos.

Thanks. I'm a basic power user. I could be doing anything from programming, to burning DVDs of shows recorded on my ReplayTV, to graphic design, etc. I just like to be up-to-date on all the new software and technologies associated with Apple.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Yes, it's a good deal and I bought a 15.2 inch PB similarly priced from the refurbished list.

I'm quite happy with mine--it's worked well.

sjshaw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
I really appreciate the informative replies. Thank you very much.

eleveneastgate

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
Bought the same one...

... Yeah, It's a good deal. Just make sure you look at EVERYTHING...

Mine had a a screw missing and the F1 F2 buttons were out of order. I went to my local Apple Store and they fixed it, no problem. When you get refurbs from APPLE, they have a 90 day phone support/ 1 year Warranty. Take advantage of it.

Also, BUY APPLE CARE!

Mine is A-OK! :D

Read my thread, here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.