Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s.hasan546

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
NY
Hey guys,

I just got an Iphone 4. So my ipod touch seems kind of redundant now.

Im gonna sell my touch (i should be able to get anywhere between $150-$200) current gen. 8 gb.

Now i was looking on ebay.
Shuffle 2G still go for around $30. The Shuffle 3G looks like the most appealing to me. But it seems like it might be annoying having no buttons. I also saw the new ipod shuffle for $45 from amazon.

So im asking which gen would guys recommend? Is the shuffle 3G any good? I saw some bad reviews about the headphones always stop working.

Also toying with the idea of getting the new Nano w/ the wristwatch.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
4th gen by miles. With the second gen you get buttons with no VoiceOver (great IMO); with the third gen you get VoiceOver with no buttons and have to use Apple headphones. The 4th is the best of both worlds.

s.hasan546

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
NY
4th gen by miles. With the second gen you get buttons with no VoiceOver (great IMO); with the third gen you get VoiceOver with no buttons and have to use Apple headphones. The 4th is the best of both worlds.

Thanks!

Also quick question. Does anyone actually buy the applecare for ipod shuffles? Its $39... Thats 80% of the value of a shuffle. Seems extremely high proportionately.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Thanks!

Also quick question. Does anyone actually buy the applecare for ipod shuffles? Its $39... Thats 80% of the value of a shuffle. Seems extremely high proportionately.

Don't bother with the AC. You get one year free and that's enough. If it breaks after then you can treat yourself to a nice new shuffle for about the same price of the AC. Shuffle's are very sturdy anyway. I know someone who got the first one of the second gens (there were many colour refreshes) and it works perfectly to this day.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
If you are using factory earbuds then the 2nd gen is good, if not then the 2nd gen is horrible, the sound quality is pretty scratchy sounding with higher end headphones.

The 3rd gen has good sound quality, but the remote is on the earbuds and unless you buy a $15-$20 3rd party remote you have to use the apple earbuds.
The earbuds with remote are known to short out when you sweat so I really don't recommend using it when you exercise.

The 4th gen is pretty small but has the best of both worlds. All of the 3rd gen features and all of the 2nd gen features. Only complaint I have about the 4th gen is that it is pretty hard to clip on without pressing the buttons.

s.hasan546

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
NY
If you are using factory earbuds then the 2nd gen is good, if not then the 2nd gen is horrible, the sound quality is pretty scratchy sounding with higher end headphones.

The 3rd gen has good sound quality, but the remote is on the earbuds and unless you buy a $15-$20 3rd party remote you have to use the apple earbuds.
The earbuds with remote are known to short out when you sweat so I really don't recommend using it when you exercise.

The 4th gen is pretty small but has the best of both worlds. All of the 3rd gen features and all of the 2nd gen features. Only complaint I have about the 4th gen is that it is pretty hard to clip on without pressing the buttons.

i have the klipsch s4i for use with my iphone. however, i doubt they would stay in my ears while running; etc. id probably get cheap sports headphones

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.