PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever done an iPhone Boot Camp?

ShadowXOR
Apr 8, 2011, 05:16 PM
I was thinking of taking this one and was wondering if it was worth the cash: http://losangelesiphonebootcamp-eorg.eventbrite.com/

Don't want to waste my money. I'm a beginner in Objective-C but I'm reading through his book (the guy who runs the seminar) and am looking for something to give me a jump start since learning solo sure isn't easy.

KarlJay
Apr 8, 2011, 06:45 PM
I went to one that was employer paid, it was for VB back in 1998. It was a multi-day class and we were tested at the end. At that time, I had learned about 3 programming languages and been employed for many years as a programmer.

The class had about 12 people in it. Too much time was wasted story telling... classmates talking too much about programs or problems setting things up.

When they group people together like this, there's no way to know what each student needs/wants out of the class and address everyone's needs.

If they want $900~$1,400 ... I'd concider that a good chunk of change.

I'd go to iTuneU and go thru all the Stanford vids and the presentations from Apple. I'd also hit up all the YouTube vids, someone did the entire 'for dummies' book on YouTube.
I'd probably get the dummies book, as they are cheap and explain things well.

What I got from the class could have been done in 1 afternoon 1 on 1 training.

I didn't pay, so it wasn't a bad deal for me. _IF_ I had paid, I would have been pissed. Understand that grinding thru a book is no party! But a book can be had for < $50.

Based on past learning, the real important part comes when you learn more advanced things (IMO), this is where you have to go thru 10 books to find anything new you didn't know already.

If you take a stack of books, most of them are going to repeat the same thing for 1/2 or more of the book. Getting from 'Hello World' to advanced performace tuning can be a bear, that's where I would spend the money/effort!

Just my opinion... I tend to be tight with the $$$

ShadowXOR
Apr 9, 2011, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the great advice! I'm in the process of learning Xcode 4 and I understand those iTunesU videos are over a year old, will they still do me any good?

KarlJay
Apr 9, 2011, 08:26 PM
The only help I've found for Xcode 4 was on the Apple siminar ones, it was a preview type thing.

You'll still gain from the vids, you'll find that most companies do not want to make huge changes from 1 version to the next as that when they lose their base supporters.

At this point, my game plan is to research 3rd party addons (game engines, scripts, etc) learn Obj-C and Xcode 4. books for xcode should be out in about 3 months, I should be ready at that point.

You'll also see more Youtube vids on Xcode 4 soon, not to mention blogs...

chrono1081
Apr 10, 2011, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the great advice! I'm in the process of learning Xcode 4 and I understand those iTunesU videos are over a year old, will they still do me any good?

Absolutely. Programming languages don't go out of date like computers do. The most changes you will see is from XCode 3 to 4. You can download XCode 3 still if you don't want to dive straight into 4.

KarlJay
Apr 12, 2011, 04:38 AM
Here's a cool link posted by ShadowXOR:

http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/IPhone_iOS_4_Development_Essentials_Xcode_4_Edition

I'm going thru it now, looks like it addresses Xcode 4 pretty well so far. I'm just scratching the surface, but it looks good.

MattjDrake
May 28, 2012, 12:42 PM
I've facilitated many events like this (not specially in LA) and most people leave feeling that they got a good head start. You are best suited for this kind of "boot camp" style if you're already a software developer and want to know how to solve the computing problems you're used to solving but for iOS.

The people who struggle in any three day event are the ones how don't know much programming - basically, they are trying to learn IT, programming AND iOS development all at once and in only three days < much better to take a longer class over a semester at least if you're not a professional software developer already.

ampsonic
May 29, 2012, 12:33 PM
I just finished up a one semester IOS programming class at my local community college. It was a fantastic way to learn the basics of XCode and IOS programming. (I just got my grade, an A!)

bogatyr
May 29, 2012, 06:04 PM

Check out Xcode 4 Unleashed 2nd edition. The ebook is fairly cheap. I usually get my ebooks from informit.com

jnoxx
May 30, 2012, 01:56 AM
At my company they offer iPhone boot camps too, i've been one last year (when i worked for another iOS dev company).
I liked the general approach, but learning Obj-C & Xcode & ally our components in 5 days is a bit.. short.
It went great, and I learned alot, but I missed alot of essentials there too.
All by all, I wouldn't invest the money myself, but if it was free, i'd recommand it ;)

larswik
May 30, 2012, 12:07 PM
but learning Obj-C & Xcode & ally our components in 5 days is a bit.. short.
it ;)

I agree. I have taken a couple of semesters of programming at a local City College in Santa Barbara (Pascal and Java). They won't teach programming classes over the summer because the summer classes are shorter and they need the full semester to teach it.

I can't imagine how learning something like that in 5 days would go. The more I learn I find out that it is not what you read in the books that teaches you. It is writing code over and over again, not a 5 day class. You can read a book on how to drive a car but that is useless unless you spend lots of time behind the wheel. It does not matter how much time you spend reading, it's doing that really teaches you.