Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kerb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Lancashire UK
Since yesterday (not software installed) I've been experiencing problems with my PowerBook. Whenever I close the screen down sometimes it won't recover from sleep and the "breathing" LED goes off.

anyone got a clue where i've picked up this problem?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
kerb said:
Since yesterday (not software installed) I've been experiencing problems with my PowerBook. Whenever I close the screen down sometimes it won't recover from sleep and the "breathing" LED goes off.

anyone got a clue where i've picked up this problem?

This depends on how you are trying to wake it up. Sometimes it doesn't work if you were using an external keyboard/mouse or wireless keyboard/mouse. You will have to press the keyboard keys on the PB.

williamsonrg

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Denver, CO
My girlfriend has been having a similar problem. Read the thread I started for some more info...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/113189/

With her PB, we're not sure if it's trying to wake from sleep or if it's totally off. There's no light, but she had it set to turn itself on automatically in the morning, so we're not sure if it turned on then went to sleep, or what.

EasyB

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2005
Did you install some cheap ram? From what I remember reading about a year ago, some ram does not support the low current of apples sleep mode.

williamsonrg

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Denver, CO
EasyB said:
Did you install some cheap ram? From what I remember reading about a year ago, some ram does not support the low current of apples sleep mode.

My girlfriend's PB didn't have any extra RAM, just what came from Apple.

kerb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Lancashire UK
nope I've had the same Crucial stick in for 7 months.

I've done nothing extra or different in the past few days but it keeps on doing it.

Completely shutting down at random when I close the screen down.

bug

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2004
Vancouver, BC
There's a thread I started too:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/111677/

It seems to be a somewhat common issue. I can trigger it on any apple laptop I use given a week or so. Our iBooks have third party ram, but the powerbook's ram is from Apple (dev. discount, no I didn't pay their rediculous ram prices).

Apple claims to have fixed the issue in 10.3.8, but it is still there.

Hopefully with enough people talking about it, something will be done.

If you want to check if the computer is still on and just has a black screen (my problem) then you can try SSHing in or connecting to a file share. My computers all work fine in this state - except you can't see anything!

Only solution I've found is a reboot. It really sucks because this is the only thing I ever end up rebooting for (besides an OS update).

Try turning off the option to spin down the hard drives when possible. I've found that helps, although it isn't a sure thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.