Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stella

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Last edited:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Executable code from 3rd party servers?

If this is what iCab did then Apple should have done this a long time ago.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

*LTD* said:
Executable code from 3rd party servers?

If this is what iCab did then Apple should have done this a long time ago.

Seems strange that they approved it in the first place.

Stella

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/SYB-1103211396; U; en-US) Presto/2.7.81 Version/11.00)

Sersiuosly Apple, banning a browser because it runs javascript? In that case Apple should ban all browers in case they execute javascript running in the website.

These bookmarklets are nothing more than javascript.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8G4)

No, Stella. They are a helluva lot more than just javascript. Go look it up and post your findings.

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8G4)

No, Stella. They are a helluva lot more than just javascript. Go look it up and post your findings.

I came to the same conclusion as Stella after reading both of those linked to stories. These sound just like bookmarklets, except you don't have to manually type in the javascript string. What am I missing? And don't tell me to google it -- I already tried.

iCAB said:
Technically, modules are somehow similar to bookmarklets, but with more features and more flexibility. This means the modules are written in JavaScript code and they can do everything that can be done with JavaScript. Unlike bookmarklets, where the complete JavaScript code must be squeezed in one single line so that it can be used as a URL with “javascript” scheme, the modules can be nicely formatted, without any line limitation. Modules have a special header section where the module properties are defined. The properties include an icon that is displayed in the Modules panel of iCab Mobile, but also settings which do allow the user to configure the module in the iCab Mobile module settings panel.

That's from iCAB's website. Yes, technically it's third party code, but so is the javascript on any website. I don't really see the distinction. If malicious javascript can do damage through the modules then I don't see why it couldn't do it through the browser as well.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple should just let this slide. Seriously, it's Javascript.
That's because they don't want any competition with safari so they force them to remove a major function

It's ridiculous that apple would do this

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
http://www.wirelessindustrynews.org/news-apr-2011/2468-040811-win-news.html
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/08/apple_icab_considered_harmful/

We've just learned that Apple has ordered the app developer of a Web browser for iPhones and iPads to disable vital functionalities in the two devices. The gatekeepers at the iTunes store, which sell the highly-rated German browser iCab, ordered it to disable all Javascript code in iPads and iPhones.

Terribly, terribly deceptive summary. Apple requested they remove JavaScript ADDONS, not remove JavaScript functionality which is still carried out through WebKit.

Still stupid though. Didn't realize iCab had this functionality. Would be cool for Javascript injection xD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.